Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> > I can't believe you read that whole post. You must like to torture yourself, reading the ravings of a lunatic.

>

> No, I'm used to FrankGrimes posts. :P

:)

> I doubt I will be disappointed, I'm a huge la Dietrich fan and have always

> wanted to see this movie. Dishonored is the only other one I'm not

> sure whether I've seen or not.

I still have Morocco about 3 down on my list at Netflix. But I did listen to part of an interview with Peter Riva (Marlene's son) today, thanks to you.

> > I am deranged. I can't wait to go to bed tonight and dream of Robert Donat reciting poetry to me.

>

> What was in that Dr Pepper, lol? I thought your words magical and I can sense

> the movie is very romantic in a way I'm sure to respond to.

I guess I got spiffed on Dr. Pepper fumes..... :D

> PSS... Wendy..I got sprayed this afternoon opening a bottle of Dr. Pepper myself... Do you think it is some sort of soda pop conspiracy?? ha. :-)

That is just too weird for me right now! Are you kidding?

I just realized the reason I am so out of it. I'm not spiffed. I STAYED UP UNTIL 2 or 3 IN THE MORNING!

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> I got sprayed this afternoon opening a bottle of Dr. Pepper myself... Do you think it is some sort of soda pop conspiracy?? ha. :-)

Probably not. But Dr. Pepper is getting tons of free publicity tonight, isn't it? :P

dr-pepper-1947-8x6.jpg

Maybe movie rambles go better with Dr Pepper. ;)

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Sorry, I got distracted from the computer by several cans of Dr. Pepper falling off of the pantry shelf and exploding as they fell down my basement stairs at 3 or 4 o'clock. Ugh. It was like watching a spaghetti western, where guts are splattered up and over the walls in slow motion. As if I didn't have enough cleaning to do already!

Wendy, you know, I have a feeling that something alien knocked over those Dr. Peppers. Click onto Rich's THE CRAWLING HAND link and you'll see what I mean. Your only protection is if you have a cat or two in the house.

>

> Barb- may I call you , Barb? Or would you prefer Countess? (It occurs to me that I never actually realized you had a name other than Bronxie). :)

You can call me anything, but first call me to dinner.

>

> You are so right about the Rozsa score. I think because I watched it late at night, and the film is so magical in its atmosphere, I simply couldn't take it all in. But now when you say it, I do remember the sad Russian singers, quietly in the background during the street scenes.....One of the pleasures of the Korda movies is the music, and also the high production values. When you see a crowd, it's a big crowd, staged perfectly. When you are supposed to be in a palace, it is magnificent.

I've got to find a clip with that melody (not the Russian singers) and post it for you.

>

> This, to me, was the perfect two o'clock in the morning discovery - I used to love to "find" movies like this when I was in my early teens. Magical, romantic, and exhilarating at the same time, you almost can't believe you really saw it when you wake up in the morning. You might have dreamed it.

Yes!! It's like a beautiful dream!

>

> Marlene is so different here. She lets herself be protected by Donat. You can see right from their first meeting that she trusts him, and she relinquishes power to him. The way she wordlessly follows him, and looks to him at all times was lovely. She is no shrinking violet, but she knows when to trust someone. She is brave, but she is soft in this movie. It is unusual, and very attractive. But it brings out the masculine in Donat. The uncertainty of their situation adds to the thrilling love story. As he realizes that there are no trains to take them to the Petrograd (the conductor is mad as a hatter), we see him trying to think of a way to get her out of there without letting her know the very serious dangers that lie ahead. But Marlene is too smart and picks up on it, and this is where they begin to make a great team. Because we see that they are equals in mind and spirit. The poems help us see that.

Your descriptions of Marlene are PERFECT.

>

> The way that every little movement or expression on his face registers in her eyes just blew me away. These two were _so_ in synch as actors. I love that they threw themselves into the story very seriously. I almost felt at the beginning as if Marlene was talking about Hitler. She says something about how she hates the people taking over her country, that they are like vermin. Maybe it was too soon for that, but still....

When I watch the movie again I'm going to take into account what you say about Marlene's feeling about the Nazis.

>

> I went back and watched some of the movie, and that forest scene is ........ perfect. They so obviously have fun together, and are so relaxed with one another. Again, the rapport the two have is wonderful. I love the way they are always throwing clothes at each other across water - first when she gives his coat back at the beginning; and then later on, in the woods, when she is bathing. They are playing. There is a sort of Midsummer Night's Dream feeling to the whole thing. He looks so happy, and he has a devilish quality I've never seen before. And she becomes just a woman, not a Countess. Then, when reality starts to set in, you can feel the sinking feeling in Donat's heart. How he puts it across I don't know. Marlene just follows his lead, and puts her head down, kissing his hand. It's so natural. How much of this was instinct, and how much was Feyder's direction? I don't know.

Wendy, I was thinking of that forest as Shakespearean too! But I forgot to actually MENTION it, consarnit!!

>

> Anyway, I really rambled pretty far here. But I just wanted to talk a little more about the perfect man

>

> h1. Robert Donat :x

Come to mama, Bobby.

>

> Photobucket

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

That is just too weird for me right now! Are you kidding?

NO I am not...but I wish I was.... I went to WalMart earlier today and stocked up on some goodies (we are supposed to get hit with 6-12" of stinking SNOW tonight and tomorrow if you can believe it..) and while I was at the store I decided I wanted a bottle of soda... so I bought one of those little 16oz sized bottles that they have in their coolers... Well... I dropped it as I was putting it in the car... but I did not open it until at LEAST an hour later... so you would think it would have been ok by then... But I guess I opened it too fast... because it went all over my neck and the front of my shirt before I could get the lid back on quick enough... O watta dope am I!! :-)

Barb... I do believe the have the whole thing.. at least it appeared that way

Here is part 1... (and then judging from the way it is listed in there, it looks like you should be able to just keep going on and on after that...) ENJOY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu8T4U_zak8&feature=PlayList&p=4A1AAB0B98F12074&index=0&playnext=1

And PS... Would that I COULD send you my snow... I hope the weather guys are WRONG. I have peach trees that are just startting to blossom and my apple tree is not far behind... All my tulips are budding... (I went out and put some plastic bags over them) I have a feeling a lot of the sweet little spring plants are going to get bit though... because it is supposed to start out as "sleet and freezing rain" and then turn over to snow sometime tomorrow... BLECH!

> {quote:title=moviefan1951 wrote:}{quote}

> Speaking of vintage ads, I don't smoke, but if I did, I'd be pretty tempted to try the same brand as the Duke:

>

Well, it really is rather sad to see that ad, actually. Didn't the Duke die of lung cancer? :(

> Well, it really is rather sad to see that ad, actually. Didn't the Duke die of lung cancer? :(

Actually, you're half right, I think he died of lung and stomach cancer, but in any event, I guess now that you mention it you're probably right, looking at that ad is kind of bittersweet, although of course I'm sure he wasn't the only Hollywood star to have endorsed cigarettes at some point or another who also suffered from lung cancer.

if it comes here next I'm going to throw in the towel

Steady girl... steady... Maybe by the time it all gets to yours and Jackie's neck of the woods it will just be rain instead...

Ha... I went out this afternoon and took a picture of my poor little hyacinth plant... I will send you a copy... Ha. I wanted to be able to remember it the way it was.. :-(

Oh... send some of those chocolate chip cookies down this way!!! Maybe that will help me feel better!! Y-U-M!!! :-)

> But how sad that movie clips now have to be labeled with "no copyright infringement intended". I hope they don't start removing those.

In so many ways, I see the movie studios making some of the same mistakes the music companies made before them. But maybe stuff like the Warner Archives will become more popular and provide a legit way to download movies that aren't otherwise available on home video.

Speaking of "Knight Without Armor", that's one movie I wouldn't mind buying from the Warner Archives, if they ever made it available. Never mind that I am just finishing up recording it on DVD-R. :P

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

>

> Ha... I went out this afternoon and took a picture of my poor little hyacinth plant... I will send you a copy... Ha. I wanted to be able to remember it the way it was.. :-(

>

Oh, the poor little brave thing! I hope it makes it!

> Oh... send some of those chocolate chip cookies down this way!!! Maybe that will help me feel better!! Y-U-M!!! :-)

Here you go, ma'am:

800px-chocolate_chip_cookies.jpg

And here's a little something in case the FLIES try to mess with you while you're eating...

71.jpg