Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

I did like the way Price at the end substitutes "old chum" from his usual "old boy" to Jock. This was the only time I saw any real warmth or empathy from Charlie.

Angus was adorable, wasn't he? I was trying to think of what his rank was, but didn't remember "orderly". Thanks for jogging my memory; I said "private" but that's wrong.

I've always had an affection for Gordon Jackson ever since he played Mr. 'udson in UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS. To this day, I still have to drop the "H", even with any other character on film or t.v. if their last name is Hudson. Jackson always has an officious quaity about him that I rather like.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

April, I'd be fascinated to know what you think of TUNES OF GLORY when you get to see it, and if you might agree there could be some connection with Fordian themes.

I don't remember RYAN'S DAUGHTER at all; I might have seen it eons ago, though. Ditto THE SWAN.

Oh, man. You just hit my other passion - Brit TV miniseries. And my favorite will always be Upstairs, Downstairs.

Mr. 'udson...... I could just cry hearing that name. You see, I am as blubbery as Mrs. Bridges! I am picturing him now, with that officious look on his face, peering over his spectacles. Probably making a comment on how under house parlor maids should not be speculating on the goings-on above stairs. I love his voice. Even now, how many years later, if I hear his voice, I turn around to look at the TV....

I'd love to get a discussion going on RYAN'S DAUGHTER one of these days.

It's a problematic film for me. I can appreciate some of its beauty now, and I

can even now grudgingly respect the amazing performance of Robert Mitchum

(I always was disappointed in his character, he was so weak to me that it

spoiled the movie for me, but I can appreciate that this is crucial to the whole

idea of the film, which is ultimately a retelling of Madame Bovary).

You would love the scenery.

I can't resist Britcoms, dramas, mini-series, etc.

I liked Pauline Collins as Sarah, that cheeky second parlormaid.

I actually felt a bit romantically attracted to Mr. 'udson. He was so prissy and orderly and well, Victorian, I would have wanted to shake him up a bit...

That's got a good cast, but eeeek! Barry Foster - NO! I'd be afraid to look at him -- Bob Rusk from FRENZY!

I like Sarah Miles. I wish TCM would run TIME LOST AND TIME REMEMBERED. (Brit title is I WAS HAPPY HERE)

That's got a good cast, but eeeek! Barry Foster - NO! I'd be afraid to look at him -- Bob Rusk from FRENZY!

I don't know who Barry Foster is by sight, but your LOVE, Trevor Howard is splendid in it!

(I haven't seen Frenzy in ages, I didn't like it at all)

I like Sarah Miles. I wish TCM would run TIME LOST AND TIME REMEMBERED. (Brit title is I WAS HAPPY HERE)

I'm not crazy about her, and her character is hard to like though you can sympathize

with her somewhat in the beginning. After that, the main problem becomes that I just

don't feel good about either her or Bob.

You saucy gel, you! I would have gone more for straight laced Richard Bellamy....

Sarah was one of the best characters in history. I always try to see any movie with Pauline Collins or John Alderton. They did a cheeky little TV show called Wodehouse Playhouse in which they played all the characters in P.G. Wodehouse stories.

I also liked Hazel, Richard's secretary and later James' wife. Something about her quiet held-in demeanor really captivated me.

I can't watch FRENZY anymore....

But, Trevvy is my love!

For the longest time I used to confuse Sarah Miles with Susannah York.

And then there's Judi Bowker ("Andromeda" from CLASH OF THE TITANS) who is a dead ringer for York. (hmm, I should post them in Rich's lookalikes)

I love Bob when he's playing against type. I believe he's a schoolteacher in RYAN'S DAUGHTER?

Oh, yes, Richard Bellamy, how could I forget? And he's got all that money and position!

I was going to mention John Alderton, but couldn't remember his last name. He was so calculating, yet Sarah if I recall couldn't resist him.

(my horrendous memory)

I love Wodehouse but I've never seen that t.v. show.

And I'm blanking out on Hazel.

Do you think some ginko biloba would help me, or am I past it?

I can't watch FRENZY anymore....

I've never been able to finish it in one sitting.

But, Trevvy is my love!

He's a priest! Shame on you! :P

But he's twice the man of any other in that rotten hamlet, so you have good taste.

For the longest time I used to confuse Sarah Miles with Susannah York.

And then there's Judi Bowker ("Andromeda" from CLASH OF THE TITANS) who is a dead ringer for York. (hmm, I should post them in Rich's lookalikes)

And I have always confused Susannah York with Juliette Mills, Ha!!!

I love Bob when he's playing against type. I believe he's a schoolteacher in RYAN'S DAUGHTER?

Yes, actually you might really go for him in this role.

>

>

>

>

> I love Bob when he's playing against type. I believe he's a schoolteacher in RYAN'S DAUGHTER?

>

> Yes, actually you might really go for him in this role.

I'm a sucker for hunky guys who wear glasses.

Like Rod Taylor in THE CATERED AFFAIR.

You're not having an Alzheimer moment...

OK. I don't want to interrupt you guys anymore, but here is Hazel in a nutshell.

Hazel was so quiet and self-effacing that she almost wasn't there. She arrived right before Lady Bellamy's trip on the Titanic in 1912. She was from the middle class, and this caused all sorts of problems. She never fit in upstairs or downstairs.

Although James pursued her for 2 years, she continued to say no to his marriage proposals. Finally, she told him of her disastrous first marriage to an abusive alcoholic. After she finally became James' wife, they simply could not get along. James was too reckless for her and she was too staid for James. Hudson would not recognize her as the lady of the house, and she always felt uncomfortable as such. WWI caused more problems for Hazel and James. Hazel discovered that James had not been coming home on leave and this was the last straw. She had an affair with a flyer who was eventually killed in battle.

Hazel actually would have been a better match for Richard, since she had a strong sense of responsibility and had become close to him. They would have made a tremendously appealing couple. She had a stubborn streak as well and she eventually found her strength when dealing with Hudson. As the war ended, James found himself attracted to his cousin Georgina. When he came home with a bit of shell shock, he found out that Hazel had come down with the flu and died.

The End...... of Hazel.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

>

> Do you think some ginko biloba would help me, or am I past it?

broxngirl, i have been taking giniko bilboa on and off for a couple of years, i have felt a lot better since, but milage may vary. ;)

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> And I've got to make dinner and shove things around so it looks like I've done some housework..... I've been a bad girl today!

:0

well there are worse things you could do than to start ramblin' about movies. ;)

Message was edited by: texanna

Nope. I'm done. Actually, the discussion made me want to go watch some episodes.....

And I've got to make dinner and shove things around so it looks like I've done some housework..... I've been a bad girl today!

:D Well, then we've been the beneficiaries of your "badness". Enjoy dinner and stop

in again tonight if you have a mind.