Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I bought Salada white asian plum tea, but it's still sitting in its "tea box" (a little red English phone booth cannister that I love; I also have one in the shape of a double-decker bus with all kinds of quaintly illustrated British people inside. I use this one primarily for the Darjeeling)

I noticed Arthur Shields in the cast! Does he play a parson?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> I also have yet to get to watch my tape of Tunes of Glory... we had a few other things going on last night and also this evening..... The QT wants to watch it too.. so I may have to wait until tomorrow sometime as it is getting late and he will likely be hitting the hay here in a bit... (and then again... I may watch it for myself later and then watch again w/him tomorrow... that happens a lot around here sometimes! Ha.)

I'm sure you'll both enjoy it very much, it's a great movie, and it will probably stay with you long after you've seen it.

Hi Kathy,

I was wondering if you (or anyone else) happened to catch *The Voice of the Turtle* which played on TCM recently under the different title *One for the Book* ?

It starred Ronald Reagan and Eleanor Parker and was pretty good. I watched it last night and it was a sweet little story with Parker playing a woman who has sworn off love and then immediately stumbles upon Reagan, who is a soldier on leave. He has just been cast off by Parker's friend played, in usual wonderful fashion, by Eve Arden.

At times Parker's Sally is so soft spoken I had trouble hearing her but I really liked her dreamy, dramatic yet mostly very subtle character. She plays an actress and she ends up giving Reagan's Bill a place to sleep by offering her daybed in her living room. There is a really cute scene where Reagan is in the bathroom getting ready for bed and she goes around the apartment making everything just "so".

I hadn't seen this before and I thought it was a nice little gem of a film. Reagan is surprisingly effective in the role, I like the way he gently teases her for her anthropomorphic affection for her household appliances. Bill and Sally are very likable characters and Arden's Olive was a hoot.

Regarding liquor she asks Sally not to give her the hard stuff: it makes me weak, I'm saving my weaker moments. :D

I had heard of this film and was so glad to finally be able to watch it. It was marred a bit by a technical glitch that affected the picture during the last ten minutes. I don't know if it was a problem with the signal transmission or the copy of the film itself. Hopefully TCM will show it again. It's one of Reagan best films and one of his best performances.

Hi again, Larry (yes, I'm following you :D ) --- I recorded this movie, too, and I did

watch the first part of it when TCM aired it once before. I really got into the relationship

between Eleanor and Ronnie and had wanted to watch the whole thing. I'm

glad you posted this because I'd forgotten I had it recorded.

I'll look out for those last ten minutes---I wonder if it's the same on my copy.

I like Eleanor Parker a lot in some roles, a little less in others but she was

a lovely looking woman to say the least. She was very sweet here.

And thanks for mentioning the original title being The Voice of the Turtle!

I had always heard of this title but never knew to what it referred---was this

a famous stage play to begin with? I wonder why they changed the title to

the horridly banal One for the Book? Did the studio fear people

would think it was a documentary about turtles, ha!?

Well hello April,

*yes, I'm following you*

:D Well it's nice to look behind me and see a friendly face now and then.

*and thanks for mentioning the original title being The Voice of the Turtle!*

*I had always heard of this title but never knew to what it referred---was this*

*a famous stage play to begin with? I wonder why they changed the title to*

*the horridly banal One for the Book? Did the studio fear people*

*would think it was a documentary about turtles, ha!?*

Probably! Reagan's character quotes from the bible during the film. Song of Solomon 2:12

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land

Not sure what it all means.

It was originally a stage play and the title was *The Voice of the Turtle*. It was released under the bland new title.

*I like Eleanor Parker a lot in some roles, a little less in others but she was*

*a lovely looking woman to say the least. She was very sweet here.*

She is very sweet here. I became interested in her character.

*I'll look out for those last ten minutes---I wonder if it's the same on my copy.*

Hopefully your copy is okay. That way you can send me a copy along with those early Hull films you keep telling me about.... What?...Who said that?... I didn't hear anything.... What? :P

Helloooooooooo Ramblin' Molo....

I did NOT see the film you are talking about.. I totally missed that one.. It sounds like one I need to check out. I have to say that as an actor... our former president is starting to grow on me a bit. I was able to catch several of his films last month and he had some really fine moments in some of them. I will check out the title you are mentioning. (my wanna see list seems to be growing again! Ha)

PS.... folks... I got to watch Tunes of Glory tonight.. It has some really fine moments in it. A lot of struggle between the characters... I don't think this is my favorite performance for sir Alec.... but I think he and Mills both did a good job. Thanks for bringing it up Miss B... I am glad I was able to get it watched (finally) :-)

Hi Kathy,

I think you would definitely like this one. Unfortunately it's not out on DVD and it's not scheduled on TCM right now. Just get April to send you a copy! :D

Another great Eve Arden scene. After she goes on and on with this guy on the phone trying to get out of something, she looks straight into the the camera and says:

That ladies, is an abject example of how *not* to talk to a man!

Hopefully your copy is okay. That way you can send me a copy along with those early Hull films you keep telling me about.... What?...Who said that?... I didn't hear anything.... What?

:D Ooh, Larry, you know I'd do it in a heartbeat only I don't have them anymore; I rented

them, I'm afraid, because the Murnau/Borzage set is SO expensive. I just watched another

from it last night, THEY HAD TO SEE PARIS, with my sweet Willie Rogers which I'd

just love to have for my own collection one day. I'm hoping one day the Amazon marketplace

may start offering some of those movies individually from re-sellers. Or that the Fox Movie

Channel will air them!

*Ooh, Larry, you know I'd do it in a heartbeat only I don't have them anymore; I rented*

*them, I'm afraid, because the Murnau/Borzage set is SO expensive.*

Ohhh! My mistake April sorry. I didn't realize they were from the Murnau/Borzage set. I actually plan to purchase that set. I thought you might have gotten them off FMC (which I don't get) or something.

I checked *After Tomorrow* on IMDB and there was no listing for it being available on DVD. I just checked *They Had to See Paris* there too. Again, there is no DVD link.

I'm not sure exactly what films are on the box set. These are the only ones I know are on there:

* Sunrise

* Liliom

* Lucky Star

* Seventh Heaven

* They Had to See Paris

* Bad Girl

* Song O' My Heart

* Lazybones

* Street Angel

* City Girl

I'm usually pretty good about this sort of thing but I can't find the complete list of titles. Anyone who could provide a link?

You're only missing two movies, molo:

After Tomorrow (1932) - Charles Farrell stars in a genuine precode with lots of racy language. At heart, though, it is a melodrama like so much of Borzage's work. Not well known probably due to its lack of exposure on TV or home video.

Young America (1932) - Spencer Tracy in a very early role. Tracy plays a druggist whose wife wants to adopt a kid who is constantly getting in trouble. His last brush with the law involves stealing medicine from Tracy's drugstore.

No, the reconstruction of THE RIVER (1928) with about 45-50 minutes of footage is in the collection as well. It Stars Charles Farrell, and Mary Duncan, and is one of the best reasons to get the set. You also get a terrific documentary about Murnau and Borzage at Fox In the late 20's

Ohhh! My mistake April sorry. I didn't realize they were from the Murnau/Borzage set. I actually plan to purchase that set. I thought you might have gotten them off FMC (which I don't get) or something.

I wish! FMC used to show more early thirties movies, they even

showed 3 Bad Men a few months ago (DOUBLE SIGH). But nothing lately.

I wish their website had some sort of notification system like TCM does, because

it could be that I've just missed the broadcasts of some of these films.

I checked After Tomorrow on IMDB and there was no listing for it being available on DVD. I just checked They Had to See Paris there too. Again, there is no DVD link.

I did a search, too. I figure in a few months I may see some. Especially if the economy

keeps going bad. But then, I might be affected as well and won't be able to afford them!

I may have to re-sell my Fordies-at-Fox! How tragical! I think I'd sell some of my clothes

before I'd part with a single Fordie.... :P

Sunrise

Liliom

Lucky Star

Seventh Heaven

They Had to See Paris

Bad Girl

Song O' My Heart

Lazybones

Street Angel

City Girl

Of the above films, I haven't seen Song O' My Heart, Liliom or Lazy Bones.

Lazy Bones is on its way to me via Netflix.

I've noticed something about the early Borzage's. They start out very light and

about half-way through they start to get extremely dark and dramatic. I mean, it's

not always a smooth, gradual transition either---the shift is quite noticeable. But

I don't mean that as a criticism, it's actually quite interesting because the switch

takes place right at the point I'm starting to wander in my attention. It jars me back

into the story. Not all of them are like this, and the silents are different, they are

very creative and somehow seem to float in their own world.

The set is dominantly Borzage. I think Fox ought to have created a couple of sub-sets,

one for Frank and one for Friedrich. I bet they would sell more.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> I wish! FMC used to show more early thirties movies, they even

> showed 3 Bad Men a few months ago (DOUBLE SIGH). But nothing lately.

> I wish their website had some sort of notification system like TCM does, because

> it could be that I've just missed the broadcasts of some of these films.

>

>

same here. wish they could play a lot more 30s movies, and even some sielents. and a notifitatino system? i'd think i'd died and gone to heaven B-)

Hi April, :)

*FMC used to show more early thirties movies, they even*

*showed 3 Bad Men a few months ago (DOUBLE SIGH). But nothing lately.*

I have been trying to get my local Comcast to carry FMC for years. I hate to think of what I have missed. If I ever do get it they will probably have stopped showing the classics by then.

*I figure in a few months I may see some. Especially if the economy*

*keeps going bad. But then, I might be affected as well and won't be able to afford them!*

I've been a lot more cautious this year with my money. I used to spend a lot on DVD's but now most of it goes in the bank. I really what to check out the Warner's DVD on demand service too. I'm just saving as much as I can just in case something happens.

*I may have to re-sell my Fordies-at-Fox! How tragical! I think I'd sell some of my*

*clothes before I'd part with a single Fordie*

Have you checked your curtains Scarlett? Ha! Hang on to those Fordies, and lose the clothes! Wait that didn't sound right! :D I mean if worse comes to worse....

harvey-51.jpg?t=1239057924

After all, I would hate for you to have to give up that set.

*I've noticed something about the early Borzage's. They start out very light and*

*about half-way through they start to get extremely dark and dramatic. I mean, it's*

*not always a smooth, gradual transition either---the shift is quite noticeable. But*

*I don't mean that as a criticism, it's actually quite interesting because the switch*

*takes place right at the point I'm starting to wander in my attention. It jars me back*

*into the story. Not all of them are like this, and the silents are different, they are*

*very creative and somehow seem to float in their own world.*

I am really keen on getting that set! I know I would love it. Both Directors have always fascinated me.

Larry!

I have been trying to get my local Comcast to carry FMC for years. I hate to think of what I have missed. If I ever do get it they will probably have stopped showing the classics by then.

Oh my goodness, no I don't think they would do such a thing. They

can show Hot Shots! Part Deux only so many times. :D

I've been a lot more cautious this year with my money. I used to spend a lot on DVD's but now most of it goes in the bank. I really what to check out the Warner's DVD on demand service too. I'm just saving as much as I can just in case something happens.

Good for you! Well...just keep an eye on that bank. ;)

I ordered **** TONK from the Warner Archive. The print was pretty good and

so was the packaging, but there are no subtitles or closed-captioning and this

bothers me. If I record it from TCM there is at least closed-captioning. For my

screencapping mania, this has become a necessity. :)

Have you checked your curtains Scarlett? Ha! Hang on to those Fordies, and lose the clothes! Wait that didn't sound right! I mean if worse comes to worse....

Ha haaaa!! I do have quite a few curtains that could be put to use if things

get too bad.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> The movie was actually first run under the title Voice of the Turtle, and was later renamed, maybe for TV? I don't know why.

The notes on the tcm database say that it has always been shown on TV as "One for the Book" but, unfortunately, it doesn't really give a reason.

I love The Petrified Forest, I'm so glad TCM is showing it in Prime Time!

Boy, back in Texas I used to really identify with Gabrielle. :D

Now I appreciate the character actors and actresses. Charley Grapewin

is so adorable. I love his bounce and go. :)

PetrifiedForest2.jpg

Gorgeous pic, Goddess!

I had forgotten how good the supporting cast was.... I am more and more interested in Porter Hall - he is wonderful in everything. And Charley - he moves faster than a jackrabbit in this one! I love that little shuffling run he does.

I am a huge Leslie Howard fan. Last night was bliss.....they really picked some great movies.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I am a huge Leslie Howard fan. Last night was bliss.....they really picked some great movies.

I agree, completely. He is sooo good in "Pygmalion" and "Petrified Forest". He had an incredible range as an actor, because he could play meek with the best of them but he could also be rather forceful when the part called for it.