Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The most unlikely place for a movie ramble here started at a bar in NYC's Greenwich Village.

Well...it was Friday night (yesterday) and I was sitting at my friendly neighborhood bar called Henrietta Hudson in the Village. My vacation has started...I'm having my vodka / cran. None of my friends want to hang out, but life is good.

It's early, 4:30pm or so and all the bar stools are filled; the bartender has some music playing from her iPOD. One of the customer says the music's making her brain freeze and she walks out, annoyed. We all look and the bartender says to the rest of us sitting there, "you can't please everyone." I lend her my iPOD with some nice soothing music (save the driving jump up tunes for later in the evening). She plays it and all seems calm. I keep watching the mindless MTV/VH-1 music videos playing on the television. I've got my drink...I'm cool.

The bartender leaves the bar and goes up to the dj booth to put on a movie. It's British (huh?), it's black and white (wha'??) and it stars JAYNE MANSFIELD (hubba hubba!!) It's called "Too Hot to Handle" with Leo Genn and Christopher Lee.

The bartender calls out to me and says: " (my name)...how's that?" "Hell yeah," I reply. "It was a choice between this and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's," she said. "Oh no, Jayne Mansfield's much better," I answer back.

Some of the folks looked perplexed. "Who's that?!"

"Jayne Mansfield," I say. They stare blankly. (HUH?)

So I add, " Do you watch 'Law & Order: SVU?' " "Yeah." "That's Mariska Hargitay's mom." "Ohhhhhh." (My turn to say HUH, you don't know Jayne Mansfield? But know your audience, I guess).

There was no sound to the movie becuz the music of the club is blaring...but maybe that was a better way to watch this British thriller. Mansfield's physique is unbelievably insane as you already know and that was no different here. And it seems like it was a behind-the-scenes look at the world of burlesque with Christopher Lee or Leo Genn being the boss. I chuckled when I saw Peeping Tom in this: (Carl Boehm). She had the most marshmallow, sexless actors drooling over her. Meh!

Yeah, Mansfield (and the other ladies) do some bumps & grinds in this movie...but it looks to be a drama. And Mansfield did a wonderful job. (I couldn't hear her voice) but she looked very serious and I imagined she dropped an octave in her normal screen persona'ed squeeky voice...she was slapped...had tears and was very dramatic.

I've got to catch that movie with the sound on to see if it was any better. But you know, no matter. People around me were drinking, talking, laughing, cruising, dancing. But I just sat there with my vodka & cran... happy as a lamb watching an old movie starring Jayne Mansfield in a bar in NYC's Greenwich Village on a Friday night.

Just shows to go ya, you never know where you'll find an interesting movie to ramble about.

Maven, that was wonderful! I only wish I had been at that bar!

I must see that movie... the idea of Leo Genn and Jayne in the same movie is just too much for my poor heart to take.

P.S. Who in their right mind thinks Mariska Hargitay is a bigger star than Jayne Mansfield ?

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> P.S. Who in their right mind thinks Mariska Hargitay is a bigger star than Jayne Mansfield ?

I would suspect the real problem isn't thinking that Mariska is a bigger star than Jayne Mansfield - the problem is not even knowing (or caring?) who Jayne Mansfield was. :(

Hi CineMaven,

Thanks for sharing that. Going to a bar and having Jayne Mansfield show up sounds like a perfect way to start your vacation. :)

I haven't had a chance to see many of Jayne's films. They don't show up on TCM that often.

*I've got to catch that movie with the sound on to see if it was any better. But you know, no matter. People around me were drinking, talking, laughing, cruising, dancing. But I just sat there with my vodka & cran... happy as a lamb watching an old movie starring Jayne Mansfield in a bar in NYC's Greenwich Village on a Friday night.*

That sounds just great. Ahhhh! New York! :)

Have you ever tried a little ginger ale and lime in that vodka and cranberry?? It's a nice combination.

Here's a couple of Jayne photos I really like:

harvey-54.jpg?t=1239464088

harvey-55.jpg?t=1239464200

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> The most unlikely place for a movie ramble here started at a bar in NYC's Greenwich Village.

>

> Well...it was Friday night (yesterday) and I was sitting at my friendly neighborhood bar called Henrietta Hudson in the Village. My vacation has started...I'm having my vodka / cran. None of my friends want to hang out, but life is good.

>

> It's early, 4:30pm or so and all the bar stools are filled; the bartender has some music playing from her iPOD. One of the customer says the music's making her brain freeze and she walks out, annoyed. We all look and the bartender says to the rest of us sitting there, "you can't please everyone." I lend her my iPOD with some nice soothing music (save the driving jump up tunes for later in the evening). She plays it and all seems calm. I keep watching the mindless MTV/VH-1 music videos playing on the television. I've got my drink...I'm cool.

>

> The bartender leaves the bar and goes up to the dj booth to put on a movie. It's British (huh?), it's black and white (wha'??) and it stars JAYNE MANSFIELD (hubba hubba!!) It's called "Too Hot to Handle" with Leo Genn and Christopher Lee.

>

> The bartender calls out to me and says: " (my name)...how's that?" "Hell yeah," I reply. "It was a choice between this and 'Breakfast at Tiffany's," she said. "Oh no, Jayne Mansfield's much better," I answer back.

>

> Some of the folks looked perplexed. "Who's that?!"

> "Jayne Mansfield," I say. They stare blankly. (HUH?)

>

> So I add, " Do you watch 'Law & Order: SVU?' " "Yeah." "That's Mariska Hargitay's mom." "Ohhhhhh." (My turn to say HUH, you don't know Jayne Mansfield? But know your audience, I guess).

>

> There was no sound to the movie becuz the music of the club is blaring...but maybe that was a better way to watch this British thriller. Mansfield's physique is unbelievably insane as you already know and that was no different here. And it seems like it was a behind-the-scenes look at the world of burlesque with Christopher Lee or Leo Genn being the boss. I chuckled when I saw Peeping Tom in this: (Carl Boehm). She had the most marshmallow, sexless actors drooling over her. Meh!

>

> Yeah, Mansfield (and the other ladies) do some bumps & grinds in this movie...but it looks to be a drama. And Mansfield did a wonderful job. (I couldn't hear her voice) but she looked very serious and I imagined she dropped an octave in her normal screen persona'ed squeeky voice...she was slapped...had tears and was very dramatic.

>

> I've got to catch that movie with the sound on to see if it was any better. But you know, no matter. People around me were drinking, talking, laughing, cruising, dancing. But I just sat there with my vodka & cran... happy as a lamb watching an old movie starring Jayne Mansfield in a bar in NYC's Greenwich Village on a Friday night.

>

> Just shows to go ya, you never know where you'll find an interesting movie to ramble about.

Great ramble, Miss Cranberry! I was at the Oak Room last night and had

Cranberry juice. Straight. Yicky! But I figured I need to have my

wits about me and I'm saving myself for this week. I'll be drinking

a toast to Letter Lady, the Lest We Forget Lady, John Doe, Bab's Man

and the Lips-n-Eyes Man as well as all the rest, so I need my strength.

It looks like I need my strength for other things, too. ;)

Vern! Oh, Vern! Hey, Vern! You out there???

Message was edited by: MissGoddess because I like to say "hi" to my friends.

Molo,

Best JaYne movie (for my money): *The Girl Can't Help It* which does occasionally turn up on TCM.

Beautiful color and great music. Oh and JaYne.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> They were very sweet pics. I wish I had a pair.... of pants like that.

Come to think of it... so do I. ;)

But she really did have a very cute pair of rascals. I'm talking about her eyes, of course. :P

OOoooooh, something wicked does this way come.

;-) Those are some lovely shots of JaYne. It does seem natural for her to have a great dane in her lap. (And I don't mean Hamlet, either).

Where's a good "Albright" when you need him? I dunno.

I'm going to try that ginger ale and lime. If it tastes yeechy Molo...you'll owe me one.

Thank you for enjoying my Mansfield ramble. She was unexpected treat to see in that setting.

Oh, Miss Goddess...you wicked wicked girl. If you can't get a nibble at the Oak Room...girl, sheesh. I dunno!!!

Play on my fellow ramblers! :-)

*JackFavell wrote*

*Ahhhh. very good memory you have there, Kathy. I must have*

*missed the part about his childhood..... I was probably running to turn*

*on the light so I wouldn't get scared..... :)*

*I believe that Emlyn Williams was quite the observer*

*as well. He wrote two autobiographies, and a non-fiction book about the*

*Moors Murders in 1967, plus several plays including the big hits Night*

*Must Fall and The Corn is Green.*

*What the Moors Murders are, I canna tell you. (oooh, that's more like Scottish. Yikes...)*

**************************************************************************************************************

JackFavell,

I'm going back a few pages here, but I wanted to let you know that after I read your rambling about Night Must Fall, I got interested in Emlyn Williams (the writer side) enough to go to the library and get 4 of his books, including his two autobiographies and _Beyond Belief_, the non-fiction book you mentioned. Well, I just finished it, and now I know what the Moor Murders were! Yikes! Mr. Williams was such a good writer and the subject matter so "beyond belief": the results were chilling. It also took some concentration, because he used quite a bit of Northern England and Scottish dialect, and threw in some French as well. Good exercise for my brain.

Anyhoo, that's why I stick around here - lots to learn! I will now attempt to tackle at least one

of the autobiographies - he was quite a Renaissance man and spoke several languages. It's funny because all of the books that I checked out were in storage and had to be retrieved. I'm glad to be the one to get them out.

Thanks, all.

Message was edited by: cinemafan - I took so long to write this that the contents of the post I was responding to as not clear.