Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> FF- I have The Big Red One high in my queue at Netflix. After the response here, I will definitely be watching it soon.

If you only have the movie by itself, I would highly recommend you add the 2nd Disc with Bonus Material as well. With many movies, the 2nd disc doesn't have much interesting stuff, but in the case of *The Big Red One* it is definitely compelling material.

Thanks, FF. I will do that. I noticed lately that I don't enjoy most of the commentaries that are on discs, but the bonus discs sometimes have interesting tidbits. I thought the commentary on the *M* disc was dreadful. The German guy was a bit interesting, but the other guy was awful. They were so concerned with the reality of German life at the time the movie was made, that they forgot to talk about the movie itself. Fine by me, I will just enjoy the movie and skip the "expert analysis".

OK. I am really going now! I have to shove stuff in closets so at least it LOOKS like I cleaned today!

I will definitely watch Pickup first. It's one of the movies everyone on TCM talks about, and I need to know about it.

Terrific! It's a strong film noir with a lot of emotion. I think you'll find the mix to be captivating.

It's a kind of compulsion, I think. I guess I just want to understand why? and there is no real answer to that.

I'm not big on topics that depress me, and the Holocaust is just that.

Are you trying to sweeten me up for the kill?

Naw. You are sweet enough as it is.

Are you sure you know who you're talking to?

Just don't turn your back....

I get it from all sides.

You are much better at getting back in the flow than I.

NOT! I just get obsessed. I've been on here all morning, and I swore I wouldn't do that today.... So I am going to go and get something else done now.

:D No, you are quite good at finding your way back and in. My only beef is that you like John Ford. Maybe you'll learn the error of your ways in time. May I suggest watching some Grace Kelly movies to start you off? :P

_Film Fatale_: *The start of the season - that must be it! Glad that there's someone in the forums who knows about football ;)*

_FrankGrimes_: *There are a few of us around.*

Do you want to know how long seven months is? Just starting counting the days on the day after the SuperBowl (February) and keep counting until the the opening day of the new season (September). The longest seven months in the History of the Calendar.

Agony and Eternity do not make nice bedfellows.

Oh, and by the way, Frank, did you notice that "The Cowboy Quarterback" is on later this afternoon.

I did catch that.

I find this to be apropos:

A football scout tries to get a legendary runner back into the game.

A QB's best friend is a running game.

Are they making movies of Romo already?

You'd think they were when you consider how much pub he gets. I just hope The Cowboy Quarterback isn't starring Brad Johnson and/or Brooks Bollinger.

May I ramble a little about "3:10 to Yuma" which was talked about in early July? Thanx!

I'm not a Glenn Ford or Van Heflin fan. For years I had to endure and get passed Van before I could get to Lizabeth Scott and Barbara Stanwyck in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers." For years, I had to endure and get passed Glenn Ford to get to Rita Hayworth in the wonderful "Gilda". So I've resisted "3:10 to Yuma." It came on last night and I watched it.

I have not been able to stop thinking about it.

Heflin and Ford were great in this movie. Van's the man; the underdog. The quiet rancher with a wife and two kids and senses shame in their eyes when he didn't stop a stagecoach robbery. They didn't really blame him but...

I've never seen Glenn Ford like this. There was always something that bothered me about him (nah I can't put my finger on it becuz he was cute enough and hell, he was lucky enough to be married to the great Eleanor Powell) but here...he was great. He was in turns soooooooo seductive to Felicia Farr and Van Heflin, manipulative (I'll pay you to let me go) and intimidating (make your next shot good boys!)

There was a modern feel to this movie. And I love it when westerns use a timeframe ("High Noon" or "Last Train to GunHill") and the clear delineation of sides. I loved Heflin's sensitivity. (I loved the actress who played his wife too. Not glamorous and very good). I loved Ford's oiliness and smarminess and hurt in knowing he'll never really have a long-lasting loving relationship.

I cannot get this movie out of mind. And in large part it is due to Glenn Ford and Van Heflin.

Hey...when I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Cinemaven- when you're right, you're right! I don't have anything against Van Heflin, but sometimes he is so... well... boring. He works so hard! And Glenn Ford I have disliked since I first saw him. But somehow *3:10 to Yuma* really worked, thanks to these actors and a good script and a good director. You really hit the nail on the head here. I think it's the hurt underlying Ford's portrayal that I like- in fact, I think it is the only multi-layered performance I've ever seen him give. I love that he is way more attractive than Heflin ( I never thought I'd say that about Glenn). Our hero is pretty dull, but by the end, you realize why he is the HERO.

Are they making movies of Romo already ?

You'd think they were when you consider how much pub he gets. I just hope The Cowboy Quarterback isn't starring Brad Johnson and/or Brooks Bollinger.

It's like a foreign language.

Laffite:

>>>Are they making movies of Romo already?

FrankGrimes:

>>You'd think they were when you consider how much pub he gets. I just hope The Cowboy Quarterback isn't starring Brad Johnson and/or Brooks Bollinger.

JackFavell:

>It's like a foreign language.

*FrankGrimes* better hope not. If the Cowboy QB fails this year they may make an Italian musical entitled Arrivederci Romo ! (Now let's see, who can they get to sing the title song?)

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> _Film Fatale_: *The start of the season - that must be it! Glad that there's someone in the forums who knows about football ;)*

>

> _FrankGrimes_: *There are a few of us around.*

>

> Do you want to know how long seven months is? Just starting counting the days on the day after the SuperBowl (February) and keep counting until the the opening day of the new season (September). The longest seven months in the History of the Calendar.

>

> Agony and Eternity do not make nice bedfellows.

And you try counting the four long years between FIFA World Cups (I'm talking about soccer, of course!). ;)

*And you try counting the four long years between FIFA World Cups (I'm talking about soccer, of course!). ;)*

At least those soccer fans have other games going on between to satisfy the mad obsession. But those seven months between football games is like The Long Sleep where there is absolument rien.

They oughta make a movie. Let's see, we can get Robert Ryan to play the lead. He tries to get his mind off the off-season by immersing himself in poetry, then women, then alcohol...but nothing works. He goes to a sports bar and orders a replay of the previous Super Bowl on the vcr. "You've had one too many," says the bartender (Sidney Greenstreet?) and ejects him from the premises. But before he leaves he notices a woman (Lauren Bacall?, Joan Bennett?) at the end of the bar. She smokes a cigarette with a long holder and eyes him seductively. He wants no part of her but she tries to convince him that she's a football game. He looks her over and likes the two footballs and the end zone but mutters something incoherently. "If you don't believe me," she drawls, "just throw me a pass." He screams as if in a nightmare and dashes out of the bar running straight in a lamp post. He blacks out and has a nightmare. He is carrying the football running for a touchdown but he is not moving. The yard stripes pass beneath him endlessly. In the end zone is a neon sigh that flashes over and over, SEPTEMBER, SEPTEMBER, SEPTEMBER, (the beginning of the season) but he can't get there. Suddenly over the PA system he hears this, "IT'S ONLY JUNE, IT'S ONLY JUNE, IT'S ONLY JUNE, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH." He wakes up and finds himself in his own bed, sweating like linebacker. He is sick and rushes to the bathroom but passes through the living room where Joan Bennett is lying on the sofa blowing smoke rings and singing, "I'll see you in September, hahahahah..."

Okay---enough---but you get the point. September is here and our hero, Robert Ryan, gets redemption. He has survived. A new season is beginning.

Whew, sure hope he doesn't like soccer. I don't think he'll make it.

;)

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> *And you try counting the four long years between FIFA World Cups (I'm talking about soccer, of course!). ;)*

>

> At least those soccer fans have other games going on between to satisfy the mad obsession. But those seven months between football games is like The Long Sleep where there is absolument rien.

>

Not necessarily - some soccer fans won't watch any matches unless they're between national teams, and that doesn't happen all that often outside of the FIFA World Cup and perhaps the Confederations Cup or the European Cup.

On another topic - has anyone else seen this already?

juneau-juno.jpg

3:10 to Yuma" I cannot get this movie out of mind. And in large part it is due to Glenn Ford and Van Heflin

I have only seen a few movies with Ford....and likely even less with Heflin--so my ability to comment on their talent as a whole is very limited....but of the films I've seen with these two...this is probably my favorite for both. And going way beyond that statement...I thought it was a great movie. I have tossed it around in my thoughts from time to time since I first saw it earlier this summer. I think it is one of those stories that really sort of plays tricks on your subconscious, because when the movie is over and the credits are rolling...you think you are finished. Then you recall something about one of the characters, or you realize an aspect of the story you hadn't thought of before.

I still have yet to see the new one, but from all I have read, I don't know if it has this same capacity as the original appears to have. It will be interesting to make the comparison someday....but if the stories are as different as I think they may be (based on what I recall from other posts) it may be a matter of apples and oranges.

We're bracing for Hurricane Hannah, Ike, and two others....Geez.....

But I'm putting up my autumn decor next week anyway, after the paint job.

Bonjour, Bronxie!

I hope Hannah poops out before it gets to you and that Ike is no Clanton.

What does your "autumn decor" consist of?

JackFavell: "I love that he is way more attractive than Heflin (I never thought I'd say that about Glenn)...But somehow '3:10 to Yuma' really worked, thanks to these actors and a good script and a good director."

I was never crazy about him, but I always thought Glenn Ford was attractive. And you are right when you give kudoes to the script and director.

ROHANAKA: "I still have yet to see the new one, but from all I have read, I don't know if it has this same capacity as the original appears to have. It will be interesting to make the comparison someday....but if the stories are as different as I think they may be (based on what I recall from other posts) it may be a matter of apples and oranges.

Yep! I would agree with you on that. You know, after seeing the Heflin-Ford version...I'm kind of scared to see what Crowe-Bale have done. There was a lot of sincerity and humanity in the original IMHO.

3:10 to Yuma the 1957 version never worked for me. To Sedate. Not enough energy or chemistry between Glenn Ford & Van Heflin. For once, the Re-Make 3:10 to Yuma from 2007 was a really good western. To me a very under-rated film. Russell Crowe and Christian Bale really worked the material and brought it to new heights. Unlike the orginial, the remake kept me at the edge of my seat, & the ending was really emotional.

"3:10 TO Yuma" is a fine movie. I think what makes Ford so good is how quietly he plays the part. He's not a raving lunatic and at times he is quite normal. ("I don't like fat.") He delivers his lines calming with just enough bite to make you believe his threats.

I love the way they suggest the afternoon with Ford and Farr. When she comes out and you see her button the last button on her dress you know all you need to know.

Heflin runs the gamut from brave to desperate determination. At the end it is no longer enough that he will get his money anyway it is about proving to himself (and probably his family) that he cna do what he set out to do. He's scared but he is going to get past it.

I liked the new one better the second time I saw it. Crowe is a little more complicated. He is as mean as they come but at some point is seems also about being fair. I think that is why he handles the end the way he does.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

>

> Yep! I would agree with you on that. You know, after seeing the Heflin-Ford version...I'm kind of scared to see what Crowe-Bale have done. There was a lot of sincerity and humanity in the original IMHO.

I don't think you should be scared, CM. In my opinion, the remake can't possibly measure up to the original, but it is relatively "good" by the standards of modern moviemaking. ;)

Ford's character has lots of fine qualities- he is smart, he is charming, and the way he treats Farr shows decency. Heflin has nothing but a bulldog determination to save his character. This is not particularly attractive, and seems almost ridiculous at points. He sometimes seems stubborn without any redemptive qualities. But there's a point in the movie where my opinion of them switched over- and I came to admire Heflin more than Ford. I can't remember the exact line. The gist of it was that if Heflin took the payoff, would Ford honor his commitment not to murder him? The way Ford delivered his cryptic reply, I suddenly knew without a doubt that he would kill Heflin if he took the payoff. This is Ford's finest moment as an actor. At that point, Ford's character recedes in my estimation, and Heflin's becomes much, much stronger. He knew all along that Ford was just a killer after all.

Interesting point. I think around the time that Henry Jones (the town drunk) gets hanged is the point where Heflin removes all doubt about his finishing the job. I know it's quite late in the movie but when he explains the situation to his wife it doesn't seem that he is resigned to finishing it as he is now compelled.

Ford's intelligence is part of what makes his character so compelling while being so mean. He is subtle and quiet and, as you say, charming. Those qualities make his being nasty harder to take but a more interesting man.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Ford's intelligence is part of what makes his character so compelling while being so mean. He is subtle and quiet and, as you say, charming. Those qualities make his being nasty harder to take but a more interesting man.

The charm is imho the most important part of the characterization, and it's something that makes many of Ford's movies memorable as well. Of course he was usually more likely to play sympathetic characters. I'd even suggest a kind of parallel with Henry Fonda, when he played the bad guy in *Once Upon a Time in the West*. I think there is kind of a small shock (or at least there was for me) in watching a very talented actor playing a villain (and a good villain at that!) after you have grown used to watching him playing mostly nice guys and heroes.

I think there is kind of a small shock (or at least there was for me) in watching a very talented actor playing a villain (and a good villain at that!) after you have grown used to watching him playing mostly nice guys and heroes.

It's a thrilling, pleasurable shock, though. I felt he "fit" this character better than the nice guys he usually played. He seemed much more natural and relaxed in this movie than any of the others I've seen.

Those qualities make his being nasty harder to take but a more interesting man.

Absolutely true! At the end, I actually cared about both characters. Even though his behavior is reprehensible, I still liked Glenn Ford, and I wanted to see his life change course....

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I think there is kind of a small shock (or at least there was for me) in watching a very talented actor playing a villain (and a good villain at that!) after you have grown used to watching him playing mostly nice guys and heroes.

>

> It's a thrilling, pleasurable shock, though. I felt he "fit" this character better than the nice guys he usually played. He seemed much more natural and relaxed in this movie than any of the others I've seen.

>

Speaking of which, take a look at *Moontide* if you get a chance - it's just been released on DVD as part of Fox's Film Noir series. The movie stars Jean Gabin, Ida Lupino and Claude Rains - and Thomas Mitchell plays possibly the sleaziest character of his career.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings