Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

>

> Ohhhh! So my post hadn't hit the board yet until Jackie's "hello" post. Now I get it. This

> has happened in the past on this board, particularly on the larger threads, like this one.

>

No, your post had appeared, it just was in a different order to Jackie's. Weird! Say,

Jackie, if you find my painting next to your brooch let me know.

"It's a role that's almost ahead of its time in a way -- it's like it could have been written for a no-padding-needed Orson Welles during his Burl Ives-ish Big Daddy period ten years after this movie was made...? - Bronxgirl.

Write baby, write! I love this sentence.

"It was disconcerting to see creepy Katherine Emery, who is burned into my memory as the claustrophobic sickly wife in Val Lewton's 'ISLE OF THE DEAD', which is the only role I've known her in. A poster on the imdb board rightly describes her as looking and sounding like Mercedes McCambridge.? - Bronxgirl.

True dat. I thought Emery looked sexy in ?Isle of the Dead? after she escaped her coffin and walked around the grounds in a flowing whbite gown, and her shoulder length hair loose. Beware of modern-day Vorvolokas. I had intentions of taping ?Eyes in the Night? becuz of Ann Harding. But didn?t make it home in time to set my vcr. Meh!

?Marguerite Churchill was so annoying to me in ?DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, I kept hoping Gloria would polish her off.? - Bronxgirl.

I agree with you re: Churchill. I?d have rather had Maureen O?Sullivan in that part. I liked Nan Grey?s brief and provocative appearance. Love the male lead's voice. Can't remember his name at the moment.

Yes, she should have known better,and trusted Miriam as well. Miriam respected her, and would never have betrayed her. But, as you say, fear is a very powerful emotion.? - Bronxgirl.

Well put Bronxie. She might not be able to trust her husband but she could Miriam knowing she?d never cross a boundary.

?I took it as his being inspired by Evelyn. He did like her look and face, wishing to ?capture it on canvas one day.? I also think he received an ego boost with Evelyn. He liked seeing that HE was helping her snap out of her funk. I think his friskiness with Ann after getting Evelyn to go to sleep her first night in the house tells you a little something about Doug's ego. He was feeling really good about himself, so he let loose with Ann. Guys who are feeling good about themselves, well...? - FrankGrimes.

Aaaah, so THAT?S how it works with guys, ey? Displacement/transference. They let others get ?em all hot and bothered, and then they go to their wives and girlfriends and give them the benefits. After Evelyn?s tricks were discovered, Bellamy made up with Warrick that very night when they come back home. (Remember the ?Montreal-Quebec? scene?)

?I think Doug was the one to blame. A happily-married husband should always trust the word of his wife. She's the one to believe, not the outsider.? - FrankGrimes.

Wise words there Frankie boy. That advice will be your get out of the dog house card. You?ll make some girl a nice husband someday.The tennis paddle will be a nice touch too.

?Because of their own duplicitous actions, they are attuned to any fudging or smudging of truth, anything slightly under the surface. They see everything as tainted with their own darkness.? - JackFavell.

Great! If you?re always checking out people?s desk drawers when they go to lunch, then you most certainly lock your own drawers knowing what you do to others.

?Funny that Ann would see Miriam as a threat at first, but not Evelyn.? - JackFavell.

No, that sounds normal to me. Evelyn is the newbie in the house. And of course the newbie wouldn?t have nefarious reasons. Plus she looks cute and unassuming; wouldn?t hurt a fly...and after all, she?s a victim. Then look at ?The Body.? Whoa! She?s been there longer, free & easy. There might?ve been an ounce, a very small ounce of uncertainty in Warrick?s wife in the first place anyway. Evil-lyn saw it becuz she?s exploitive; give her an inch and she?ll take a marriage...or a message board.

?Only Aunt Martha was able to see those weaknesses in Evelyn....she adopted the mind set of a pathological liar and stalker. That is what makes the ending so satisfying and horrifying at the same time.... Aunt Martha knew that she would have to play on those weaknesses (becoming all those things she abhorred), in order to vanquish Evelyn forever.? - JackFavell.

D?ya think she really adopted the mindset...or that she just decided to play on Evil-lyn?s weakness? MacMahon looked torn up a bit when she did what she did. I think it was abhorrent to her to be as evil to fight evil.

?NO!!! Say it aint so.... I LOVE the way you take a plot and interweave it with your thoughts and comments... THAT is what makes it so fun to read!!!! Carry On, young'un.? - Rohanaka.

Are you sure Ro?? I?m still slayed by this sentence of Bronxgirl?s a post or two back: ?...her clawlike small hands imploring Aunt Martha for help, the smugly-sweet upturn of her mouth into a forced smile, the sinister-crazed chuckles of delusional triumph in a darkened thunder-crackled, lightning-blazed room, slow-motion turns of the neck as though she were some sort of a malevolent female automaton...?

I wanna write like that when I grow up.

?And I'm the other way! I've yet to watch ?All About Eve.? The only Anne movies I saw before ?Guest in the House? ?The Blue Gardenia, I Confess, and ?The Razor's Edge.? I first knew of her as ?Olga, Queen of the Cossacks? on

Batman.? - FrankGrimes.

Aye yi yi. Tsk! Tsk! Everytime I want to pat you on the back...you make me wanna smack you in the pants. Ya gotta see ?All About Eve.?

I'll take the flour-stained apron every day of the week.?

See...now I want to pat you on the back again. Oooh FrankGrimes, you got me so confused!

?Our introduction to Evelyn is excellent. She's a phony show. She's an actress. She's always putting on a face. There is no real Evelyn.? - FrankGrimes.

Oh snap! Well well-said!

You can't touch what's not real. It's almost like Evelyn was afraid Lee (Connie Laird) was going to remove her mask. Of course, she was quick to think up an excuse. A living lie must lie to live.? - Frank Grimes.

Alliteration too??? Frank Freud you need to put up a shingle.

?I wasn't a big fan of that scene. I'd rather they not have gone off and got drunk. That made it too easy.? - FrankGrimes.

I agree with you here, Dr. Bizzy Hands. It wasn?t quite smart writing. The writers do redeem themselves, but getting drunk was too easy...or lazy in the writing.

It?s not the type of character I like to watch in movies. Lethal ladies blasting, poisoning, stabbing?fine. But I hate plots with blackmailers/kidnappers?torturers. - CineMaven.

?Ahhh, but you like ?Kathie? (?Out of the Past?) and "Martha" (?The Strange Love of Martha Ivers?). Those femmes fatales were conniving.? - FrankGrimes.

Right you are you tennis paddler. But they were sexy, not creepy. Aaah, there?s the rub. There?s something different about Evil-lyn?s approach over Kathie Moffet?s. Don?cha see?

?I'm in the minorty (sic) here, but I didn't like the ending. I thought it was silly. How come the birds outside now affect Evelyn? They didn't before. The only way I can square this is that since she was rejected and the bird ?escaped its cage,? her anxieties were severely heightened and this led to her demise.? - FrankGrimes.

I think you?ve answered your own question Dr. Jung. My good friend?s wife is bi-polar and must stay on medication. When she doesn?t take her medication, her stress level increases when she has to walk the str8t and narrow in being responsible...and not lying. The voices in her head grow louder and MUST be answered. It must be stressful to do the right thing, when every corpuscle in Evil-lyn?s sick mind is compelling her to do the wrong thing. Those endorphins MUST be fed. She wasn?t getting what she wanted. It was stressful. Didn?t, at one point, MacMahon points out the birds in the sky??? And there were no birds? Evil-lyn?s sick imagination and phobias took over; hence...hoisted on her own petard.

?Look, lets face it?why put temptation in their path. They?re men.? - CineMaven.

"What are you saying?" - Frank Grimes.

This is what I am saying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLVLPyzoCg

Thank you for the compliment re: MacMahon as Eleanor Roosevelt.

?You are the master of description. I'm constantly amazed by how well you describe the appearance and actions of characters.? - FrankGrimes.

Frank, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Bronxgirl?s consistent descriptions throughout all of her posts.

And not only that... she "covered" her tracks with him by making it LOOK like she was being open about how deceptive she could be (w/ the diary). (Now THAT was quite trick) Little did he know there was a WHOLE OTHER LAYER to her deceit that he knew nothing about.? - Bronxgirl.

?That's a phenomenal point. The diary truly was "quite a trick." Anyone who shares their most intimate thoughts from their diary must be on the level with us. Right?? - FrankGrimes.

But of course. I could think of another case Judge Ito presided over...

twilight-zone.jpg

"Submitted for your approval: a charming country house, somewhere on the East Coast. Enter Miss Evelyn Heath, sickly and in desperate need of a warm, loving family. The people who take her in will soon discover, however, that Miss Evelyn Heath is a very special young lady who needs very special attention, and she'll get it...in The Twilight Zone.

I think the level of writing here is extremely high.... one of the reasons I stayed here at TCM message boards was because I was so impressed with all of you and your ability to create a mood.... and the wit! Oh, it's a joy to behold.

*Cinemaven*, your power to evoke a movie and all of it's impressions is a wonderful thing... I hope you will never stop writing in your stream of consciousness style, it's like mood music to watch films by....or an impressionist painting - but in words. I can see the movie happening, but I can also see your mind and how you process the scenes and sounds.... it's awesome.

and *Bronxie*, I've told you before how I feel about your writing. I don't know how you do it, but every time I read you, I _recognize_ exactly what you are saying, because I felt that way too. But you were able to put it into words.... and such beautiful, perfectly descriptive words, words that fit only that particular moment. Your words are so right that I feel like I have known them all along... and it only took your saying them to make me realize.

I could go on and on about *everyone* here....Each and every person who gets deep into these movies we ramble about has something so wonderful to give. Really I feel that it is the mix of all these styles and viewpoints that makes me keep coming back over and over again.... I just love the crazy free-for-all. I truly care about the people who become absorbed in trying to capture those little moments on paper....or on the computer screen.

Now I went back to look at GITH, and discovered that Evelyn played a little trick on ME.... an audience member....HA! She said in her diary voice-over that Miriam wanted Doug. And I, like a sap, completely bought it.... I believed her! But there is no trace of that in Miriam's behavior that I can see on second viewing..... only friendship. But of course, Evelyn was projecting onto Miriam her own deranged and sordid wants.... She talks about how she could never pose nude, but I think that is exactly what she DOES want. Look at how she plays with the collar of her gown as she thinks of it.....she is fixated on being Doug's saint, but the reality is that she is the opposite of what she longs to be.

Message was edited by: JackFavell

>

>

> Write baby, write! I love this sentence.

It takes a lot of caffeine; so I'm scribbling away but hanging from the chandelier. (not that I HAVE one)

>

> True dat. I thought Emery looked sexy in Isle of the Dead after she escaped her coffin and walked around the grounds in a flowing whbite gown, and her shoulder length hair loose. Beware of modern-day Vorvolokas. I had intentions of taping Eyes in the Night becuz of Ann Harding. But didnt make it home in time to set my vcr. Meh!

Yeah, Mrs. St. Aubyn actually looked more like a woman after she was "dead". Poor Ann, what that bee-itch Donna says to her! (but I admit I couldn't help chuckling over that particular line)

>

> Marguerite Churchill was so annoying to me in DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, I kept hoping Gloria would polish her off. - Bronxgirl.

>

> I agree with you re: Churchill. Id have rather had Maureen OSullivan in that part. I liked Nan Greys brief and provocative appearance. Love the male lead's voice. Can't remember his name at the moment.

Oh, Maureen would have been SO much easier to take. Yes! Nan Grey is memorable. That would be Irving Pichel as "Sandor", Gloria's servant. Or were you thinking of Otto Kruger, who is actually the male lead?

>

> Yes, she should have known better,and trusted Miriam as well. Miriam respected her, and would never have betrayed her. But, as you say, fear is a very powerful emotion. - Bronxgirl.

> Well put Bronxie. She might not be able to trust her husband but she could Miriam knowing shed never cross a boundary.

I'm so glad this movie is on YouTube -- I need to watch it again.

Do you think Frank would still be attracted to Evelyn even after finding out about her?

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

"Or were you thinking of Otto Kruger who is actually the male lead?"

Yes. It was Otto Kruger who I was thinking about.

Now I need an intervention. When I went into YouTube to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLVLPyzoCg

I got lost in the 1960's. I started listening to The Grass Roots, and then White Plains, Marmalade, Edison Lighthouse, The Raspberries, Paul Revere & the Raiders, The Association, The Buckinghams" The Yardbirds, The Beau Brummels, The Association, The Knickerbockers and Gary Lewis & the Playboys.

Would someone help me????!!

"Someday you're gonna be lonely,

And you won't have me around.

Lies...lies.

Breaking my heart."

Help!!

By the by...there's a lot of good writing on the Message Board. And I enjoy reading passionate in-depth posts. Glad the glitch is gone.

Did you listen to Question Mark and the Mysterians sing 96 Tears?

I went through a 60's YouTube mini music marathon myself a week or so ago. I couldn't stop listening to Del Shannon, Lou Christie, Brenda Lee, and Little Peggy March. ("I love him! I love him! I love him! And where he goes, I'll follow! I'll follow! I'll follow!")

I am in AWE of the writers on this board -- you and everybody - jackie,

Miss G., ro, Frank, molo...so many, who have given me a film education that rivals any university!

7,000 posts, Grimes? That's something wild! What a kick.

someth2.jpg

Just LOOKING at your screencaps of Evelyn are creeping me out.

I loved what you said about her face being almost a mask that Lee might be trying to take off -- that was brilliant! By the way, did you think like Maven and I that the little girl looked astonishingly like Ann Carter as Amy in CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE?

Yay! HANGMEN ALSO DIE this month.

> and *Bronxie*, I've told you before how I feel about your writing. I don't know how you do it, but every time I read you, I _recognize_ exactly what you are saying, because I felt that way too. But you were able to put it into words.... and such beautiful, perfectly descriptive words, words that fit only that particular moment. Your words are so right that I feel like I have known them all along... and it only took your saying them to make me realize.

jackie, I hope I don't sound like Sammy Maudlin from SCTV, but that's exactly how I feel about YOUR writing -- I have these ephemeral, pre-literate perceptions about a character floating around in my head, and I struggle and struggle and take forever to find just the right words to convey my thoughts, when all of a sudden you nail it for me and everybody; it becomes manifest through you.

Cry! Cry! Cry! Yup, I did.

Let me try to make my way back to the 30's. There's two, count 'em...two threads about TCM's 1930's schedule for Monday, May 18th.

If you get a chance...ya gotta catch Robert Williams in "Platinum Blonde" with Harlow. And then Myrna Loy & Ann Harding in "When Ladies Meet." Oooh, did I mention new love Bobby Montgomery is in it too?

Ah yes, Question Mark -- the original punk band.

I've seen some scenes with Robert Williams in PLATINUM BLONDE, and he's terrific. Too bad he died shortly thereafter.

I'm looking forward to the Capras, and will definitely catch WHEN LADIES MEET, thanx! Who can resist young Bobby?

Frank,

Congrats on reaching 7000 posts! You're a great contributor to these boards.

Grace sends her congratulations too. :)

grace-kelly-2.jpg?t=1242627656

CineMaven,

I am always getting lost in the sixties yotube videos myself. I even make compilations of them on dvdr just like we used to make those compilation cassettes. I don't know of anyone else who does this.

MissG, Rohanaka, Jackie, Bronxie, et al,

What movies are up for discussion? Your prodigal rambler has returned!

Welcome back, my son.

We are all enthrallingly repelled by Anne Baxter as Evelyn Heath in GUEST IN THE HOUSE, and so it's been our main topic of discussion. You can watch it on YouTube, which is where we've all caught it. But please also chime in on THE HUCKSTERS, EYES IN THE NIGHT, SOMETHING WILD (1961 w/Carroll Baker and Ralph Meeker), and anything else that strikes your fancy.

Take a gander at GUEST IN THE HOUSE first. I guarantee you won't forget it.

And THE HUCKSTERS is on YouTube as well, if you didn't catch or record it on TCM.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to, cry if I want to ...........

Did anyone catch *Flight* this morning? I came in almost at the very end, during the most heartwrenching of buddy goodbye scenes. It put Only Angels Have Wings to shame. Then came some flight scenes that were so realistic - real planes, real flying, bantering, cursing ...... I'm thinking it's Wellman or maybe Hawks, because it's gritty and tough, almost brutal ..... I look it up and it turns out to be *CAPRA*????? It almost makes me wish he had not gone all soft......incredible... who knew Capra could be the toughest of them all........

I only caught the end of FLIGHT though I was listening to the earlier scenes while getting ready. I noticed the ending is the exact same ending as Victor Fleming's TEST PILOT so I wonder if the original story idea was bought from Columbia for MGM? Did you notice if Frank Wead got a story credit?

Have you seen CEILING ZERO yet? :)