Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wendy,

I have a recording of Flight from the last time TCM showed it, and would be glad to post screencaps from the scenes you mention, either here or in the Capra thread.

It is an interesting point you make about Capra "going soft". I wonder how much the Great Depression had to do with it, I'm sure he wanted to provide more uplifting entertainment to those who were suffering because of the economic situation.

If you haven't already seen Capra's American Madness, I highly recommend it. It's coming up on TCM this afternoon. It's a very interesting take on the banking crisis as it affected Americans at the time of the Great Depression.

I didn't notice any of the credits - I was just getting my daughter out the door for school, so I missed almost everything.... and then I had to take the dog out.. so I missed the close as well...I thought it seemed a very familiar storyline....

I haven't seen *Ceiling Zero* yet, but I will try to within the next day or so. *Flight* really whetted my appetite for some death defying aerial sequences.....

Sir Francis:

(Second attempt)

Congratulations my friend. 7000 posts is quite an accomplishment and quite a dedication of your time all for our benefit. You have been most helpful to me, for which I am grateful, and I have so enjoyed your "duel of wits" with the wonderful ladies who also grace this place.

Keep up the good work. There is a long summer to get through. You are one among many that will help me keep my sanity through the years.

See you soon

Chris

Congrats on the big 7000, Mr. Grey!!

You keep up all this fine ramblin.... and my frozen rope and I will have to retire. (But then again.... there's always Mad Hat Molo....) :P

Check out THIS frosty beauty:

2127486618_155d534d5a.jpg?v=0

PS: did you know that ?frozen rope? is a BASEBALL SLANG for a hard line drive, Mister Sportsman??? (I just found that out when I googled my photo... ha..)

Nice job of ramblin around these last few weeks (or is it MONTHS now?) sir. You've really been hitting them out of the park lately. Keep up the good work. :-)

7,000 posts? You by your little ol' self? Just you and your mind and your thoughts and screen caps and playful insults and insightful insights??? Congratulations!

I can't wait to read your next 7,000 posts Mr. Tennis Paddlin'-Dancing in the Dark-Bizzy Hands.

CineMaven.

Hey there, Lady B -- 7,000 posts, Grimes? That's something wild! What a kick.

A kick in the...

Just LOOKING at your screencaps of Evelyn are creeping me out.

I really like the shot of Evelyn "in the cage."

I loved what you said about her face being almost a mask that Lee might be trying to

take off -- that was brilliant!

Thank you, B.

By the way, did you think like Maven and I that the little girl looked astonishingly like

Ann Carter as Amy in CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE?

Yes, I did. Irena vs. Evelyn, now that would be interesting.

Yay! HANGMEN ALSO DIE this month.

I cannot believe someone actually said "yay!" for Hangmen Also Die!. Are you all

right? :D

Do you think Frank would still be attracted to Evelyn even after finding out about her?

Even more so!

Thank you for the congrats, Frances.

What's up, Grahame's Guy -- Congrats on reaching 7000 posts! You're a great

contributor to these boards.

A "great contributor"? You've been at Charlie's again, haven't you? Thank you for the congrats.

We are both in a celebratory mood with Gloria Grahame getting her day in August. And it's on

YOUR birthday, August 13th. Awesome!

Grace sends her congratulations too.

Thank you! I do love MY Grace.

Hola, Jackie -- Gloria thinks I'm more romantic than a pair of handcuffs? I like how she

lies for me. :D Thank you for the congrats. I appreciate it.

Howdy, Cowboy Chris -- Congratulations my friend. 7000 posts is quite an acomplishment and quite a dedication of your time all for our benefit. You have been

most helpful to me, for which I am grateful, and I have so enjoyed your "duel of wits"

with the wonderful ladies who also grace this place.

Wow! I feel like a criminal. I think I need to give the money back now.

Keep up the good work. There is a long summer to get through. You are one among

many that will help me keep my sanity through the years.

You're sane? I must be doing a horrible job. :P

Thank you for the kind words. You know, I really should hate you since you're a constant

reminder to me of how small I really am.

Ciao, Quiet Gal -- Congrats on the big 7000, Mr. Grey!!

Thank you!

You keep up all this fine ramblin.... and my frozen rope and I will have to retire.

Come to think of it, I am due for a three-month break.

(But then again.... there's always Mad Hat Molo....)

He's innocent! He's busy planning his birthday bash with Gloria.

Check out THIS frosty beauty:

Uh-oh. I think that's a "Manhattan."

did you know that ?frozen rope? is a BASEBALL SLANG for a hard line drive, Mister Sportsman??? (I just found that out when I googled my photo... ha..)

Yes, I did! All I've got in my bat are cans of corn.

Nice job of ramblin around these last few weeks (or is it MONTHS now?) sir. You've

really been hitting them out of the park lately. Keep up the good work.

You keep me on my toes... and that's a very good thing.

Hey, Lively One -- 7,000 posts? You by your little ol' self? Just you and your

mind and your thoughts and screen caps and playful insults and insightful insights???

Congratulations!

You've got me confused with someone else, but I'm all for stealing praise. Thanks, girl.

I can't wait to read your next 7,000 posts Mr. Tennis Paddlin'-Dancing in the

Dark-Bizzy Hands.

:D

quietman4.jpg

Another Lesley Gore fan, lol?

Didn't catch FLIGHT. Saw PLATINUM BLONDE. I had told Maven that I'd seen some of Robert Williams in it, and was really impressed, although he certainly is not the traditional leading man type. I loved his romantic scenes with Harlow (the shot of them through the water fountain took my breath away). I liked how relaxed and natural she was in his presence, not artificial as I sometimes find her. His Stew Smith was brittle but vulnerabie. Loretta was her usual radiant, unaffected self.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Hey, doesn't Fritz Lang rate a cheer?

I know, Evelyn is your kind of woman.

But I have a better kind. Forget Gloria, Grace, Linda, Gene, Ava, etc.

I have two words for you.

Louise Brooks.

PANDORA'S BOX and DIARY OF A LOST GIRL.

In my opinion the most naturally erotic actress ever to come out of Hollywood.

louise_brooks.jpg

Re: WHEN LADIES MEET:

Bob was his usual breezy, natural, sophisticated, witty self, and his was the only performance I enjoyed. Now I love Frank Morgan, who doesn't? But...two women fighting over him? And one of them Myrna Loy? That didn't seem believable to me, lol. I'm not a big Ann Harding fan, I can see she's a good actress, but, I don't know, she's a bit too earnest for me, and, I'm sorry, but kinda bland. I was a little bored with this film overall. The romantic dialogue between Myrna and Frank was stilted and rather corny, and he also says things like "By Jove!".

The winnah here: Montgomery!

Hi Lady B!

Oh, that's too bad you didn't enjoy WLM, it's one of my favorites for both Myrna and Bobby.

I love his character and most of all I ADORE Alice Brady in this. I think she's just as funny

here as in MY MAN GODFREY, and maybe the funniest character actress ever. I just love

her flighty, naughty and indiscreet charm. I'd love a friend like her, as long as I didn't tell

her any secrets I didn't want to get out! Ha!

Myrna is actually a bit of a little idiot as that character I admit---she's full of silly ideas but

she's such a down to earth actress she makes you believe she's at least sincere, if wildly

misguided. I also think someone more attractive than Morgan could have been chosen, ha!

One thing you and I do agree is on Ann Harding, although this curiously is one of the roles

I like her best. And, as usual, you picked the right word, "earnest". She's a bit too high

minded sometimes, that I feel I can't breathe. At least in this one she giggles a lot with

Bobby and seems more relaxed.

Anyway, I just really like Bobby's silly character who's besotted he acts like a silly fool.

It's amazing to think this is the same man as "Brick" in TWE. Talk about range!

That dress Loretta wore to the party in PLATINUM BLONDE was outrageously BEAUTIFUL.... backless.... wowza!

Platinum Blonde was a definite winner yesterday, but it was awesome programming all in all.

I have a horrible cold and I dropped off to sleep during WHEN LADIES MEET, so I missed Ann and Frank almost completely. Bobby was in a role I couldn't resist - a second banana, getting rejected by the leading lady.... although it just doesn't make sense to reject Bobby for FRANK? Something so wrong there.....

I have to agree about Ann... I haven't seen anything that makes me like her, really like her. Cinemaven made a comparison to Shearer which is really a great one. Shearer has a sort of animated joie de vivre that Harding doesn't have, even if it is a bit phony sometimes. And somehow, even with her faults, the bottom line is, I LIKE Norma.

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Ann is alright in PETER IBBETSON, but I would have preferred Loretta Young, Hedy Lamarr,

or any number of other actresses. I don't believe she had any chemistry with Gary, though

the movie is still quite wonderful.

I think I'm the only one who doesn't like Jean or Robert Wililams in PLATINUM BLONDE. Jean is miscast to me, and very stilted. Williams is just unattractive to me though I see he's a good actor, but as a romantic lead??? And for the lovely Harlow?? No way! He is too ordinary by far, a character type of actor to me. I don't know he looked like runt, lol! I'm not a big fan of Lee

Tracy in lead roles like this either. Something about those nasal voices...

However, the script for this movie was terrific, I loved listening to the repartee and *Loretta* was smashing!!!! I was just as wowed by her dress, too, Jackie. It could be worn today. I loved

that they had to point it out, too, ha!

In trying to figure out what it is that I don't find attractive in *Robert Williams* or Lee Tracy, I

thought about another actor who I would kind of put in that style of perfomer: Pat O'Brien.

Yes, I do like Pat in a way I don't like the others. He has a look in his eye that

breaks me up. He's not good looking and not my idea of romantic at all, but at least

he looks at women like he's really a major flirt. The other two don't look like they know

how or would even want to flirt. They insult women and it's supposed to be cute. You

have to have a certain flair to make that work and I just don't think they have that. I

don't know, but it makes for interesting food for thought.

Pat O'Brien

PatOBrien-1.jpg

Robert Williams (and Jean Harlow) in Platinum Blonde

PLATINUMBLONDErobertwilliamsharlow.jpg

Lee Tracy

lee-tracy-2-sized.jpg

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

"Hey, doesn't Fritz Lang rate a cheer?

Louise Brooks.

'PANDORA'S BOX' and 'DIARY OF A LOST GIRL.'

In my opinion the most naturally erotic actress ever to come out of Hollywood.: - JackFavell.

Well. Well...FrankG. D'ya have the skills to handle: "the most erotic actress ever to come out of Hollywood,"????

In fact, you might have to wait at the end of a long line Frank becuz, I think Louise could handle Gloria, Grace, Linda, Gene, Ava and etc. too.

What a gal!

"Bob was his usual breezy, natural, sophisticated, witty self, and his was the only performance I enjoyed. Now I love Frank Morgan, who doesn't? But...two women fighting over him? And one of them Myrna Loy? That didn't seem believable to me, lol. I'm not a big Ann Harding fan, I can see she's a good actress, but, I don't know, she's a bit too earnest for me, and, I'm sorry, but kinda bland. I was a little bored with this film overall. The romantic dialogue between Myrna and Frank was stilted and rather corny, and he also says things like "By Jove!". The winnah here: Montgomery!" - Bronxgirl.

I'm really starting to feel Bobby. But I must say there is this little simp of a face he puts on or mugs that's a tad...meh! He is so very natural whereas others of the time were just stiff cardboard cut-outs. ACK!!! He cuts quite a figure in his tux or tails. As with his role with Norma Shearer the other day in ("Riptide") I think he tends to make his leading ladies relax. Norma was fairly **** in "Riptide." I thought the poor dear was going to have a stroke. (Someone called her "a restless, jumpy, affected woman." I guess in marriage there's something to say for loyalty and trust, becuz why she'd want that stiff Herbert Marshall, was beyond me.AND having to prove she was virginally worthy. ("In New York, you were the kind of a girl that didn't stop ata kiss.")

Wait...I wanted to talk about Bobby. The contrast between Montgomery and Marshall was glaring. But then again, you might not have stability with a man suffering from a Peter Pan syndrome.

As for "When Ladies Meet," yes: Bobby was the winnah! But I was impressed seeing Frank Morgan in an un--blustery light. I've never seen him like that. Refreshing. Yes, fighting over the wunnerful Wizard of Oz was a stretch. But I accepted it for movies back then. You know the staid, stiff, paunchy guys always had the beautiful women.

Ann Harding's earnestness attracts my attention. You might've thought she was a little more freer in that William Powell movie where she kind of tricks him into marrying her. (I forgot the name of the film). She was a bit breezier in that. But I know what you mean about earnestness. But at least she's not **** like Norma (and believe me...I love watching Shearer perform).

The dialogue was stilted, stodgy, and staid. But again...seems like that's the way they wrote or performed back then. Myrna's voice was a bit shrill for me, and that hairdo did NOTHING for her. To me, Harding was co-winner with Montgomery. That scene with Myrna & Harding in the bedroom having their pros and cons about wife vs. mistress, I thought Harding was more confident, self-assured. It'd really be a fight if Harding met Loy when Loy really hit her stride in the later 1930's. And again I thought of the new up & comer and the vet, like ships passing in the night.

To be continued.

"Hey, doesn't Fritz Lang rate a cheer?

Louise Brooks.

'PANDORA'S BOX' and 'DIARY OF A LOST GIRL.'

In my opinion the most naturally erotic actress ever to come out of Hollywood

This quote was from *Bronxie*, but I agree completely. Frank, you would do well to check Louise out....but of course you probably already have, with your appreciation of German expressionism and female pulchritude.....

*Cinemaven* - awesome review of WHEN LADIES MEET. I am going to have to go check out the woman who beat Myrna Loy acting wise and man wise....... you make me wish I had not fallen asleep, and I will give poor Ann another chance....

*MissG* - The script for Platinum Blonde was a killer....even when I left the room I would get a giggle out of it here and there. I sort of wish people talked like that now, that Runyonesque banter is very appealing.

I liked Robert Williams a lot but understand exactly what you mean about that type. That inner mean streak towards women, especially noticeable in Tracy (whom I do like anyway) must have been a product of the first years of poverty in the depression. I noticed a "kill the rich" mentality that was also singularly unattractive. In some ways, I am glad the movies mellowed a bit. The Lee Tracy/Pat O'Brien/Robert Williams guy was only around for maybe a year or two, and then it deepened into something more substantial. It's too bad we didn't get to see what Williams might have done.....None of them has enough sex appeal to really get away from the stereotype. Lee Tracy is wonderful in a couple of movies in which there is no major love story... but he falls flat to me in so many other ones... I think there is a certain lack of charm in these depression era wiseguys. There has to be an underlying sweetness to get away with the sweet talk/slap-in-the-face character. Cagney could get away with it, because there was a baby inside of him... a soft , mushy, emotional center. I guess Pat O'Brien had it too, though he doesn't really do it for me, either.

Yesterday was a great day for backless dresses ....except I was so disappointed in Myrna's outfits in PENTHOUSE. Ugh! Her wardrobe was a disaster....

I am fascinated by Loy, because she seems to have learned so quickly how to deliver her lines and create a character with a lot of, oh...I don't know, chutzpah...... At her best, she has a mature delivery and good-natured thoughtfulness that I can't resist.

Here is a description of Minerva from mythology (Athena if you prefer Greek):

Jupiter had killed and overthrown his father, and his father had done the exact same thing to his father. Jupiter went to desperate measures to overcome this common fate. This is what he did. He swallowed Metis, his wife. Soon after consuming Metis, he began experiencing a headache so bad he started thrashing his head against a rock. His son Hephaestus,. A blacksmith, hit Jupiter on the forehead with a mallet in a bid to relieve his father of his pain. Jupiter's forehead split open and out from his cracked skull sprang a tall, fully-grown, grey-eyed maiden and that was Minerva. As she sprang from her father's cranium, she instantly became goddess of intellect and wisdom.

And she gets back at men forever in the personality of Myrna Loy! Myrna goes around exploding men's brains in almost all her movies, putting their puny intellects to shame. To me she seems to have sprung full grown from Grauman's Chinese (or was it the Egyptian?) where she was a dancer before she hit it big in films. Suddenly she just IS Myrna Loy, movie star. She credited Woody Van Dyke with her success. Myrna is definitely a grown up, and proud of it... we could use her in this day and age, when all the big stars are getting younger and younger. She is refreshingly honest and smart as a whip....her experience is an asset, and she is not afraid of appearing to know what she is talking about. She has a healthy skepticism wrapped in an alluring body, and a face that is piquantly finished with her charming nose. She was able to age pretty well in the movies because her sex appeal was mental... I think men wanted to capture her brain, not her body. If you did get Myrna in the end, you were a pretty smart cookie and a lucky guy....

> I have a horrible cold and I dropped off to sleep during WHEN LADIES MEET

> I have to agree about Ann... I haven't seen anything that makes me like her, really like her. Cinemaven made a comparison to Shearer which is really a great one. Shearer has a sort of animated joie de vivre that Harding doesn't have, even if it is a bit phony sometimes. And somehow, even with her faults, the bottom line is, I LIKE Norma.

Are you doing the standard remedies for that cold? Vitamin C, tea and honey, plenty of rest?

Or maybe it's a Grimes allergy.

As usual, your descriptions are pitch-perfect and you write exactly what I'm thinking! That's just what I feel about Shearer compared to Harding.

Norma's look-at-me-I'm-an-actress-but-a-star too! personality grates on my nerves, and I have to say, I really DON'T like her.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Probably more brilliantine than brilliant... or is that banana oil....

Then gimme some of that brilliantine and banana oil. I was thinking almost the same things, re: Robert Williams, Lee Tracy, Cagney, the sweetness factor, but I just couldn't put it all together (and I was going to throw in references to Gable, Spencer, and Coop) If Williams had lived, I could see him in mature character parts like the former President in THE BEST MAN that Lee essayed so well.