Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

>

> Well. Well...FrankG. D'ya have the skills to handle: "the most erotic actress ever to come out of Hollywood,"????

>

> In fact, you might have to wait at the end of a long line Frank becuz, I think Louise could handle Gloria, Grace, Linda, Gene, Ava and etc. too.

> What a gal!

Ah, another Louise admirer!! All those other actresses to me seem somehow like CHILDREN compared to Brooks.

Then gimme some of that brilliantine and banana oil. I was thinking almost the same things, re: Robert Williams, Lee Tracy, Cagney, the sweetness factor, but I just couldn't put it all together (and I was going to throw in references to Gable, Spencer, and Coop) If Williams had lived, I could see him in mature character parts like the former President in THE BEST MAN that Lee essayed so well.

Williams is almost at the character actor level already in Platinum Blonde. I can't imagine him as a leading man for much longer than a year, if that. The studio would have had to be very careful what material they put him in....Gable, Spence, Cagney and Coop would have overtaken him quickly as they did Lee Tracy and the other wisequackers (although Lee Tracy sort of did himself in).

It's interesting, that precode era, because things were changing so quickly, they actually went through a lot of "types" before the studios hit on a typical 30's actor. Think of *Wings.* Buddy Rogers, Clara Bow, Richard Arlen, Jobyna Ralston...... the only ones in the movie to come out ok were Gary, and Roscoe Karns!

> It's interesting, that precode era, because things were changing so quickly, they actually went through a lot of "types" before the studios hit on a typical 30's actor. Think of *Wings.* Buddy Rogers, Clara Bow, Richard Arlen, Jobyna Ralston...... the only ones in the movie to come out ok were Gary, and Roscoe Karns!

Hee, yes, and Roscoe Karns. Although i did see El Brendel in a few things later on LOL. (he was Olaf the butler in THE SHE CREATURE)

Now from the sublime to the ridiculous -- this evening when I come home I'm going to watch THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH. Rich made a thread in Sci-Fi, and, well, you know me...

He posts a photo of the creature and I swear, (even with the "hot dogs" in its mouth) it reminded me a bit of Sydney Greenstreet in THE HUCKSTERS.

I don't know why.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

I watched *When Ladies Meet* last night. I have to confess that my mind wandered a bit for the first thirty minutes or so. I think I was just waiting for Ann Harding to show up. I am strangely drawn to Harding. The comparison to Shearer is a great one that I have brought up before. They both share a lot of the same (stagey?) mannerisms. I think Harding comes off as more natural but to the point of being too sedate, while Shearer has a more nervy quality where it seems she may flutter right off the screen.

I think Shearer wins out here because her combination of nerves and mannerisms aided by a pent up, and occasionally smoldering, sexual edginess, make her more fun to watch. Shearer will go where Harding fears to tread. This must have had great appeal to female audiences back then. Shearer was oh so sophisticated and always maintained an air of respectability that was simply out of reach to a Miriam Hopkins or even Kay Francis. Still, there is something that draws me to Harding. Maybe it's because I only recently discovered her and I'm waiting to see what she might do.

Loy was still playing against her natural type and would only belatedly rise to that level of sophistication. I think Harding is Shearer's natural rival in all this but she would have needed to "sex it up" a bit and I don't think she could have pulled off that hat trick without losing some of her allure. I might be wrong there.

Oddly, I always thought Loretta Young did yeoman's work in these early precodes. Her personality doesn't seem to get in the way of any part she's playing, yet I find her consistently believable in any thing she's asked to do. The only thing that keeps her from possibly rivaling the personas of Shearer and Harding is her youth and inexperience. What Shearer, Harding, and later Young, needed was a good sexually charged thriller to pierce through their facades. It never happened with Shearer but I haven't seen all of Harding's and Young's work.

Now where was I? :D

Oh yes, *When Ladies Meet*. The film did perk up once Harding arrived at Alice Brady's home. When Harding wouldn't get out of the car, I got a little frustrated: Just get out of the damn car Clare!! but I liked the build up between her and Myrna. I agree with the Maven, Ann seemed to loosen up more in the bedroom conversation. I actually liked the dialog between them. When Morgan entered, I was as tense as he was. I thought Ann was in her element here and Myrna faded into the background.

The women got really upset, the men appeared to be toast, than the ladies breathed a little and reflected on things.

*Spoilers!*

I thought the concluding events did make Loy's character look foolish. I hadn't considered it much early on, but like I said, my mind wandered during the first half. I was glad that Harding rejected Morgan in the end. That made the usual "end of film tidying" that is par for these films easier to digest.

And thus Myrna forgave Bob...

Well it all worked out nicely for him didn't it? This was a nice Montgomery performance. It showed his ease at doing these kind of roles. I agree with CineMaven that he has a tendency to do a little mugging but I thought that was mostly kept in check here. I also agree with Miss G, that he has a way of making his leading ladies seem at ease. A tough job when playing so often opposite Shearer.

Alice Brady is a big favorite of mine as well. I really liked her final scenes here. It was the funniest part of the film. She was a gem.

Now why did Myrna and Ann go gaga over Morgan? I thought all you gals simply toyed with the younger men, but always sought the security of the older, well established gentlemen, the sooner to inherit all that money. ;)

Message was edited by: molo14

Larry, that was wonderful! Boy, am I out of my depth here with you all in the eloquently insightful analyses department. I'll just read and absorb and maybe I can actually LEARN something instead of the next quip or flippant remark.

Lol!! That thread was hilarious (you guys can skip the movie just read Rich's commentary it's

MUCH better I'm sure).

Barbara, your commentaries are always worth reading. I'm glad so many even WATCHED When Ladies Meet, it seems to have been too long overshadowed by the remake with Greer and Robert Taylor.

I love Myrna's hair, Maven! What are you saying?! :P I think she looks like a sweet doll with

that feminine little bob of curls. I love it on her and on Maureen O'Sullivan---in fact I've always

loved the nineteen-thirties curly-bob. It's very flattering. Now Anns 1890s hairdo is another

story......She strikes me as the kind of woman who'd be like Meryl Streep and perfectly

at home in the 1970s. There is something decidedly not Hollywood about her....which makes

her unique at least.

And I love Bobby's "mugging". :) It's that "little boy with his hand in the cookie jar" look

that I love. It irritates the heck out of me in anyone else....

The movie Ann Harding did with Powell is Double Harness. I don't think she has chemistry

with him.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Larry, that was wonderful! Boy, am I out of my depth here with you all in the eloquently insightful analyses department. I'll just read and absorb and maybe I can actually LEARN something instead of the next quip or flippant remark.

Oh please Barb,

A day without your wonderful insights on this thread would be like a world without rainbows...and I don't want to live in a world without rainbows! :)

The moment I saw the opening cast credits to *Guest in the House* I percieved that this was a film I couldn't possibly watch on youtube. I am in the process of downloading the clips so I can put them on a dvdr and watch it in my movie room. I'm on clip six now.

I have been continuing my sci-fi/horror fest. I watched *The Creature From the Black Lagoon*, *Riders to the Stars* and I may give *The Man From Planet X* a go next. I have to check out that discussion in the horror forum. I don't think I have that film in my collection though. I'll have to check.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> The moment I saw the opening cast credits to *Guest in the House* I percieved that this was a film I couldn't possibly watch on youtube. I am in the process of downloading the clips so I can put them on a dvdr and watch it in my movie room. I'm on clip six now.

Now, why didn't I think of that? :P

Thanks for mentioning it, Molo, it's a wonderful idea. :D

That kind of great shlock is so much better in trailers and reviews, isn't it?? I know I'm crazy, but the creature, as silly-looking as it is, also has a weirdly eccentric air of avarice and cruelty about it that sort of reminded me of Sydney. (pay no attention to me)

You're a sweetheart. I'd be more interested in the Greer Garson/Robert Taylor version of WLM.

All of a sudden I'm not remembering Myrna's hair now...Am I sliding towards senilty at my, uh, young age?

Interestingly, it seems that Bobby's mugging rubbed off on Liz. Remember how, during the last few seasons of "Bewitched", when they were recycling every earlier plot w/York (and the same character actors playing the clients and their wives) she had a tendency (and who could blame her) to overdo it. (but I love her devotedly).

I'm very upset; I'm going to miss Gail Russell tonight. (but I AM getting a VCR very soon! How many times, however, have I said this, and never did? There must be something seriously wrong with me) She's one of my favorites. I wish TCM would run OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG AND GAY, THE UNSEEN, and THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Okay this board is still out of whack! I just lost a post I wrote to Jackie. When I went in to find the draft it was the one I just posted to Bronxie, but it was in the reply to Jackie! That's messed up! urrgh!!!

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> That kind of great shlock is so much better in trailers and reviews, isn't it?? I know I'm crazy, but the creature, as silly-looking as it is, also has a weirdly eccentric air of avarice and cruelty about it that sort of reminded me of Sydney. (pay no attention to me)

>

:D I thought it would remind you of your strange, unidentified crab-pup creature...

> You're a sweetheart. I'd be more interested in the Greer Garson/Robert Taylor version of WLM.

>

It is a bit too starchy for my tastes. Greer is always good but everyone seems ill at ease. I am

not crazy about Taylor in comedies.

> All of a sudden I'm not remembering Myrna's hair now...Am I sliding towards senilty at my, uh, young age?

>

whenladiesmeet2.jpg

> Interestingly, it seems that Bobby's mugging rubbed off on Liz. Remember how, during the last few seasons of "Bewitched", when they were recycling every earlier plot w/York (and the same character actors playing the clients and their wives) she had a tendency (and who could blame her) to overdo it. (but I love her devotedly).

>

Yes! She absolutely did.

> I'm very upset; I'm going to miss Gail Russell tonight. (but I AM getting a VCR very soon! How many times, however, have I said this, and never did? There must be something seriously wrong with me) She's one of my favorites. I wish TCM would run OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG AND GAY, THE UNSEEN, and THE NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES.

>

Oh, I so agree. Gail deserves a spotlight.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> > Larry, that was wonderful! Boy, am I out of my depth here with you all in the eloquently insightful analyses department. I'll just read and absorb and maybe I can actually LEARN something instead of the next quip or flippant remark.

>

> Oh please Barb,

>

> A day without your wonderful insights on this thread would be like a world without rainbows...and I don't want to live in a world without rainbows! :)

Come here, let me give you a HUG. There!

But....it's raining cats and dogs here in Boca, and this deluge will continue awhile. (oh, well, we need it)

>

> The moment I saw the opening cast credits to *Guest in the House* I percieved that this was a film I couldn't possibly watch on youtube. I am in the process of downloading the clips so I can put them on a dvdr and watch it in my movie room. I'm on clip six now.

Can't wait until you see 11. That's the killer.

>

> I have been continuing my sci-fi/horror fest. I watched *The Creature From the Black Lagoon*, *Riders to the Stars* and I may give *The Man From Planet X* a go next. I have to check out that discussion in the horror forum. I don't think I have that film in my collection though. I'll have to check.

Ooh, I haven't seen RIDERS TO THE STARS. I need to re-view THE MAN FROM PLANET X again. And the Creature is so adorable with his Troy Donahue fishy lips.

Everything fishy actually does remind me of my weird unidentified crabby puppy. Oh, if I could only see it again scuttling across the sidewalk!

I like everybody's hair there except Harding's.

I want a day and night of Gail!

See you guys later.

Enjoy her.

This is a *Gail Russell* I've never seen tonight. She's serious and subdued, cool

and professional and somewhat matter of fact. In other words, what an actress!

This shows she had some range that much as I love her, I didn't suspect.

I'm so glad TCM is showing The Lawless! And Bob Osborne said Gail was one

of his favorite actresses! Good. That means we can start to work on him for a spotlight.

I don't know if she did enough films for "star of the month" but at least for an evening. :)

GailRussell2.jpg

I can only assume that you enjoyed The Lawless last night. I've not had a chance to watch my recording yet, since I was attending some screenings when it was shown, but I'm very glad to have recorded it and I'll get to it just as soon as I can. :D

However, just going by the comments Chon Noriega made, it seems like Russell had to perform in "brown face" to play the part of Sunny Garcia.