Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Gail Russell!

>

> "Le pant. Le gasp. Le pant" (Pepe LePew.)

Wow, Chris! So Gail is the actress who turns you into an amorous Frenchman? :D I didn't

know that.

I really only know Gail's work from "Angel and The Badman" and "7 Men From Now." Her role as Penny in the former blends not only her beauty but her innocence with a slightly mischievous streak that is very appealing. She is also quite good in "Wake of The Red Witch" but I haven't seen that near as often as the others.

She is not a bold beauty in the way of Hayworth or Monroe (that is not a bad thing) she is just different.

Have you seen her in The Uninvited? I'm not fond of ghost stories but she is very

appealing in that one, too, and "Stella by Starlight" seems to have been made just

for her. I think my favorite will always be Angel and the Badman.

GailRussell2-1.jpg

>I can only assume that you enjoyed The Lawless last night.

No. I missed it. I had a commitment that kept me out all evening. After you watch your recording I hope you'll give us your thoughts. We'll see if my family left my recording alone.

*The Uninvited* is one the best films of the '40s I have seen. Truly remarkable and "Stella by Starlight" a great song, one of my very favorites.

I seem to recall that *The Uninvited* was recentely remade.

Welll welll Movieman1957, so you like 'em fragile and pretty. Well, that would be Gail Russell. Sad story about the end of her life. I've read that she really had a hard time with movies. I, myself, am dying to see "The Night Has A Thousand Eyes" again. By the time "The Tattered Dress" came out, the ravages of her life were beginning to show on her face.

And with her little frame, she brought down the mighty Duke in "Angel & the Badman."

She's a name we don't hear much of, but we film buffs know her.

Grrreat photo of her, Miss Goddess.

> {quote:title=feaito wrote:}{quote}

> I'm also very fond of Miss Arthur, April, especially of her husky voice... That means I'm sweet too? ;)

No! It means usted es dulce.

"Dulce" means naughty, right? ;)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=feaito wrote:}{quote}

> > I'm also very fond of Miss Arthur, April, especially of her husky voice... That means I'm sweet too? ;)

>

> No! It means usted es dulce.

>

> "Dulce" means naughty, right? ;)

Usted es dulce, means literally "You are sweet"...

BTW, in Spanish You can mean either usted (which is more formal) or Tu (which is more informal)

Naughty means "malo" o "travieso"

I'm afraid I've never been a fan of Jean Arthur's. A good comic foil in "You Can't Take It With You" and the Washington housing shortage movie...good in "Shane" and "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington." But I really liked her jacket in "Only Angels Have Wings" better than her.

This goes to some earlier posts when we were talking about "When Ladies Meet" and who we like and don't like. And don't think I'm finished with that yet.

Great voice though!

I certainly would love to hear more of that ramble, Cinemaven! We sort of got cut off when the boards went all kablooey. I didn't mean to distract from that. I definitely am waiting on the edge of my seat for your thoughts!

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> No. I missed it. I had a commitment that kept me out all evening. After you watch your recording I hope you'll give us your thoughts. We'll see if my family left my recording alone.

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching this later and maybe ramblin' about it a little bit, I know Gail Russell looks great! ;)

> {quote:title=feaito wrote:}{quote}

> *The Uninvited* is one the best films of the '40s I have seen. Truly remarkable and "Stella by Starlight" a great song, one of my very favorites.

>

> I seem to recall that *The Uninvited* was recentely remade.

I love the 40s one, too, one of the eeriest and scariest movies I've ever seen.

The recent movie by the same name was not really a remake of the Lewis Allen film, but was actually an adaptation of a Korean horror movie - and not a particularly successful one, at that.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Call me weird, but I like her best like this:

> Photobucket

I wouldn't call you weird at all, Wendy - I'd say you have very fine taste, because I like her best like that, too. ;)

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}

> Also good in ""A Foreign Affair". Apparently Arthur and Dietrich mixed like oil and water.

That happens to be one of my favorite Billy Wilder films, too. And it did give both of them excellent parts that fit them like a glove, too!

"I certainly would love to hear more of that ramble, Cinemaven! We sort of got cut off when the boards went all kablooey. I didn't mean to distract from that. I definitely am waiting on the edge of my seat for your thoughts!" - JackFavell

Put your butt firmly in the seat. You didn't distract from that conversation...this a rambling thread and I guess we bob and weave and flow with the conversation.

But I do want to bring up a couple of more points. Oh what the hey, who am I fooling...I have some snarky sarcastic quips to make.

Hi Molo,

Yes I realizad that, thanks! But you guys and gals are so fast in posting that this must be one of the most active threads ?in the business? ;).Besides, I keep having login and posting problems over here, so it makes it more difficult when I want to write a quick post, especially when I?m concentrated in some legal business here at work and I wanto to make it snappy!

As for Shearer and Harding, I admit being fan of both ladies even before I ever watch any of them on screen.

Her names along with the likes of Kay Francis, Sylvia Sydney, Nancy Carroll, Constance Bennett and other ladies who were active in the early ?30s, evoked a long-gone, cherished Era and sophisticated images, that appealed very much to me. Especially those studio stills of them and the titles of the hard-to-obtain films in which they starred.

Shearer was one of my ?first loves? in that respect and Ann Harding I could say that was my second love. Both ladies were classy, sophisticated, good-looking, first magnitude stars of the Pre-Code Era.

Harding was the epitome of the Patrician beauty, because Shearer, in spite of her elegance and high class appeal, had that mischievousness and joi-de-vivre who someone mentioned before, that perhaps made her closer to audiences and thus more popular with women in general, I think. Ann Harding had maybe a more distant and aloof quality, but I sincerely feel that she was a better actress than Shearer.

Shearer was first a star and a personality. Harding was an actress first.

Anyway, both are favorites of mine.