Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

>I love reading about man-crushes. Who else do you like? Boyz, if you wanna weigh in on that,

Since you asked -

I find the most beautiful - Hedy Lamarr, Kim Novak, Capucine, Gene Tierney, Carole Lombard.

Those I would like to spend an evening with at dinner - Jean Arthur, Ginger Rogers, Claudette Colbert, Gail Russell, Myrna Loy, Judy Holliday. Beautiful and fun.

Now back to our more intelligent conversation.

Feo! I'm so glad you are hanging out here. :) I'm sorry for all the "technical glitches"

but how nice of you to keep trying. We've all found it necessary to muddle along in spite

of many glitches and interruptions but it's a fun group and a hopefully ever-growing one.

I have to reply now to your wonderful post, too, but let me just say to all that this gentleman

knows his Pre-Codes stuff! I haven't seen half as many early 30s movies as he has. I usually

watch them just for sheer fun, I don't analyze them too much, just savor them.

Today is Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Day on TCM!!!!!! Yippppyyyy!! Hide-Out is on right

now, one of my tippy top favorites. He's so naughty in this! It's a lot more fun than his usual

"playboy" stuff. I think of Cary Grant when I see him because both men moved smoothly

between action oriented movies and the ultimate in debonair sophistication. Not many

could do that. William Powell did to a lesser degree, but he was not ever a physical

man, really. He could be tough but more "smart tough" than running around being

chased by bad guys tough. :) I rather think Bobby would have been good in Alfred

Hitchcock movies.

Mad Hat Molo! Your comparisons between Shearer Chic and Ann Harding were wonderful!

I never actually thought to compare the two of them at all. I prefer Norma but there are some

things that Harding brings more to than Norma.

I like Norma best in A Free Soul, that's my favorite I've seen so far. The Divorcee was

good, too, but it doesn't have Gable. Mmmmmm mmmmmm. You see where my radar is always

focused. Imagine, in A Free Soul the girl DID get "Ashley Wilkes" over Rhett! How soon the

pendulum would swing.

But PEOPLE!!! Spencer Tracy and Clark Gable mentioned in the same paragraph as

Robert Williams, Lee Tracy or even Pat O'Brien? Pleeeeeeaaaaase! The first two give a woman

something to remember all her life, the others drive her drugs or alcohol just so she can

FORGET! Ha!!!! Apologies for my, ummm, emphasis and enthusiasm. :D

But I love The Torrid Zone---I never noticed O'Brien was so cranky, I'll have to watch it

again. I love the snappy dialogue but Cagney does look funny in that mustache.

*Cute goes out the window and heaven strides in the door.*

I?m at work and that made me chuckle out loud a little! I like ?cutesy, shy? Gary but in real life I wouldn?t want a man that was too shy. I can be kinda shy around guys sometimes so if we were both that way we?d never get anywhere ? ha! I definitely prefer the gentlemanly men but they don?t have to be ?perfect? gentlemen :P.

*April and her dream man out for a late night stroll* :)

morocco15.jpg

I?m not sure who brought up Ann Harding in *Peter Ibbetson*, but I?ll though in my two cents and hope they don?t get thrown back at me ;). She was a good actress but something just seems off in that one (and no, it isn?t Gary ;) ). I think her voice was a little too husky and it just didn?t seem right. I do love that one though and she did a good job but I would have liked to have seen someone a little more girlish like Fay Wray (with a blonde wig). She and Gary made a beautiful couple and I think it would have been a good pairing (also it would have been their 5th pairing).

> {quote:title=feaito wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks Holly,

>

> Latin TCM's Lineup is very inferior than TCM USA's. Almost no Pre-Codes, no Silents and scarce films. There are mainly TV Series: Chips, A-Team, Dallas, Wonder Woman, etc. I was lucky enough to tape a lot stuff from TCM USA during my visits to the US, so I'm still watching that and I have over 1,600 films on DVD to see and revisit -I have bought and exchanged a lot! I wish I could attend Dewey's Noir Screenings. Well, at least two weeks ago I bought many Classic Noirs to watch ;)

Fernando, you're lucky to have taped all that stuff from TCM-US, I agree! Today's morning/evening schedule is very exciting, because it's Bob Montgomery's b-day, luckily I had already recorded everything being shown today, except The First Hundred Years, which starts in about an hour. Have you seen it? The trailer looks very good!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_cid=mediaroomlink&cid=111330

By the way, speaking of Dewey, did you hear about his new noir book? It is very exciting, you can find out more at http://www.iwakeupdreaming.com/

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I find the most beautiful - Hedy Lamarr, Kim Novak, Capucine, Gene Tierney, Carole Lombard.

>

> Those I would like to spend an evening with at dinner - Jean Arthur, Ginger Rogers, Claudette Colbert, Gail Russell, Myrna Loy, Judy Holliday. Beautiful and fun.

You have very good taste, Chris, but have you thought about adding a little international flavor to your list? How about Sophia Loren, Bridgitte Bardot, or Romy Schneider? ;)

>

> *April and her dream man out for a late night stroll* :)

>

Ha! He is dreamy in Morocco.

Fay Wray is a good choice, I like her with Gary in their other films. Or Frances Dee. Oh, anyone.

Spoilers ahead!

This morning I watched STRANGERS MAY KISS with Norma along with Bobby but the main lead was another of those "stodgy" types, *Neil Hamilton*. He's always going to be "the Chief" to me,

ha! It's astonishing to think what a long career he had when he isn't really the most dynamic

actor or good looking yet he was a leading man back there for a while. At least Robert Williams

was a really good actor, Hamilton is always the same to me and rather dense. Pleasant, but

dense.

I have seen this picture a couple of times, and I really only enjoy Montgomery and the supporting players. The story between Norma and Neil just should have ended far differently in my opinion. I can't think why they did end it as they did, but at any rate Norma looks nice and has some gorgeous gowns. Could *Ann Harding* do such a part? I don't know. If she did, you'd know right from the start she'd never end up with Montgomery, he's much too playful for her seriousness whereas Norma is playful enough herself that they match. You really believe they may

end up together.

Norma Shearer in Strangers May Kiss

strangers-may-kiss-norma-shearer.jpg

Neil Hamilton made a good supporting actor but not a leading one. He was a pretty good actor, but I could never see him as irreplaceable or anything like that.

The one that really befuddles me is Wendell Corey. How he ever got a single role much less a 21 year career is beyond me. I haven?t seen him do a good job yet and unfortunately he?s in quite a few movies with people I like. He had absolutely no charisma and very little acting ability.

Some people are pretty good actors and can carve out a nice career for themselves (like Neil Hamilton) and the ones that have the best ability as well as that star quality (like Gary, Gable, Stanwyck, etc?) can make it to the A list, but there is just no place in my book for the Wendell Corey?s of the world. He?s not even bad in a fun to watch way he?s bad in a way that makes me mad that he was cast in the film.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> Neil Hamilton made a good supporting actor but not a leading one. He was a pretty good actor, but I could never see him as irreplaceable or anything like that.

>

> The one that really befuddles me is Wendell Corey. How he ever got a single role much less a 21 year career is beyond me. I havent seen him do a good job yet and unfortunately hes in quite a few movies with people I like. He had absolutely no charisma and very little acting ability.

>

> Some people are pretty good actors and can carve out a nice career for themselves (like Neil Hamilton) and the ones that have the best ability as well as that star quality (like Gary, Gable, Stanwyck, etc) can make it to the A list, but there is just no place in my book for the Wendell Coreys of the world. Hes not even bad in a fun to watch way hes bad in a way that makes me mad that he was cast in the film.

Hi Coopsgirl,

It's kind of uncanny you mentioning Wendell Corey, because I did not care much for him as an actor either and the other day I was impressed with his portrayal of Stanwyck's paramour in "*The Furies*" (1950) -slaps galore!. I think that at least in that film he did a fine job.

> {quote:title=coopsgirl wrote:}{quote}

> The one that really befuddles me is Wendell Corey. How he ever got a single role much less a 21 year career is beyond me. I havent seen him do a good job yet and unfortunately hes in quite a few movies with people I like. He had absolutely no charisma and very little acting ability.

>

I've actually gotten to be a pretty big fan of Corey in the last few months, although I can understand that his appeal might be limited. I think he brought a very interesting quality to his characters, the one performance I watched more recently was that of Capt. Peoples in Carbine Williams, opposite Jimmy Stewart.

I also remember enjoying him very much in The File on Thelma Jordan and I Walk Alone. Guess our tastes differ a lot on this one! ;)

I have *The Furies* and *The File on Thelma Jordan* b/c of Babs. I wish she hadn?t made so many movies with him. I think the best I?ve seen him was in *Thelma Jordan* but he was kinda supposed to be a loser so I guess it worked ;). Seriously though, at least I can watch a movie with him in it. You couldn?t pay me enough to watch John Wayne and the only film I?ll watch with Leslie Howard is *GWTW*. Wendell Corey might as well be Gary Cooper compared to those two.

You?ll have to excuse me if I?m coming off a little harsh, but I?m not feeling that great (the ladies will understand why) and at any moment we may have a fire drill at work and I really don?t wanna walk down three flights of stairs only to stand outside in the heat.

I haven't seen BEGGARS OF LIFE or THE SHOW OFF. I'd really love to see PRIX DE BEAUTE. I think Rene Clair was one of the writers on that. For some reason, she loses a bit of her hard-edged eroticism and mystique without the Dutch bob. I've seen clips with her hair pulled back, and it's just not the same. Not to take anything away from Brooks's naturally charismatic screen personality, but I do think that her deadpan sensuality is enhanced with that hairdo!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Feo! I'm so glad you are hanging out here. :) I'm sorry for all the "technical glitches"

> but how nice of you to keep trying. We've all found it necessary to muddle along in spite

> of many glitches and interruptions but it's a fun group and a hopefully ever-growing one.

>

> I have to reply now to your wonderful post, too, but let me just say to all that this gentleman

> knows his Pre-Codes stuff! I haven't seen half as many early 30s movies as he has. I usually

> watch them just for sheer fun, I don't analyze them too much, just savor them.

>

> Today is Bobby Bobby Bobby Bobby Day on TCM!!!!!! Yippppyyyy!! Hide-Out is on right

> now, one of my tippy top favorites. He's so naughty in this! It's a lot more fun than his usual

> "playboy" stuff. I think of Cary Grant when I see him because both men moved smoothly

> between action oriented movies and the ultimate in debonair sophistication. Not many

> could do that. William Powell did to a lesser degree, but he was not ever a physical

> man, really. He could be tough but more "smart tough" than running around being

> chased by bad guys tough. :) I rather think Bobby would have been good in Alfred

> Hitchcock movies.

>

Thanks for your kind words April, Pre-Codes and Eraly thirties are my weaknesses and if I hadn't the chance of talking with all my pals of the American Message Boards I belong to, I'd been talking to a wall here in Chile, 'cuz nobody cares...I'm looking forward to Bob Montgomery's "*Hide-Out*" which I have on tape. Thanks to you in the morning I enjoyed thoroughly "*Fugitive Lovers*" (1934) an unfairly underrated film in Maltin's Book. Well he also has little regard for "*Love Letters*" (1945) and I don't trust him anymore; I used to, but before I turned 30, afterwards I bought his Guide just for the data included, not the reviews.

"*Morocco*" was the first Pre-Code of both Gary and Marlene I ever saw. I always felt that the object of desire in that film was intended to be Gary not Marlene. He's lusted and chased by Marlene, Eve Southern, Juliette Compton....Marlene and Gary had great chemistry together. In "*Desire*" they are fantastic, thanks too to Messers. Lubitsch and Borzage.

"*Peter Ibbetson*". It was one of the most sought-after films -for me- before it was released on DVD and I had always read criticism towards Harding's portrayal, maybe that's why I found her performance all right. Sometimes when you've been warned too much about something, you expect the worse.

BTW, I agree that Bob Montgomery would have been very good in a Hitchcock thriller. I can picture him in Joel McCrea's role in "*Foreign Correspondent*" perfectly. Or in "*The 39 Steps*" opposite Madeleine Carroll. At least he got to work under his direction in Hitchcock's only attemp at Screwball Comedy in "*Mr. and Mrs. Smith*" which I've enjoyed twice.

I respect your opinion coopsgirl. You don't come off harsh at all just honest. I can't stand much of Brando. My wife, like you loathes Leslie Howard. Everyone's entitled to his/her own tastes ;)

You?ll have to excuse me if I?m coming off a little harsh, but I?m not feeling that great

(the ladies will understand why) and at any moment we may have a fire drill at work

and I really don?t wanna walk down three flights of stairs only to stand outside in the heat.

Now that absolutely killed me! I wish I could yank that fire alarm.

I was impressed with his portrayal of Stanwyck's paramour in "The Furies"

Finally..... an actor I can comment on!!! ha. (But you folks are supplying me w/ a lot of INSIGHT into some of my lesser known's lately... it has been a fun read.)

Hi Feaito....

I don't know anything about any of his other roles, but I really like Wendell Corey in the Furies as well... it took me a while to warm up to that whole MOVIE though... (at least until the almost-stepmother showed up) but even so... I really thought HE did a really good job in this one. Seemingly slimly meets ultimately savvy... he was a sort of "surprise" character for me.

CineMaven that was a wonderful post. I laughed, I learned, I was thoughtfully provoked!

I will respond to you in several parts.

Part 1

*what was the difference between the persona of Irene Dunne and Myrna Loy?? They both worked with Cary Grant and Spencer Tracy and William Powell and even opposite each other in ?Thirteen Women.? Dunne made Spencer Tracy seem sexier than he ever did with Hedy Lamarr. What do you find is the difference between the two? Thanx!*

Well that's an interesting question. My random musings:

When I think of Dunne I immediately go to three films.*The Awful Truth* and *My Favorite Wife* are two masterpieces of screwball comedy due in large part to the way Grant and Dunne play off of each other. I don't think anyone ever matched wits and traded random one liners with Grant the way she did. She could take the absurd to wonderful new levels.

*Love Affair* is a magical film deriving from seeing the relationship build between Dunne and Boyer. We get a mixture of the bitter and the sweet long before the weepy conclusion. Irene's Terry knows that sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying, and she knows there is an uneasy balance between the two, a place where we find ourselves standing, seemingly impassive, for fear of venturing to far in one direction or the other. If we know you have been there than we better understand you when you're here.

My concern with Loy is that I'm not sure she has been there, she always seems very much in the here. This isn't really a criticism though. She underplays brilliantly. Her films with Powell are a true joy. Her sense of fun is permeated by the idea that no matter how silly something may sound or look, it is the logical thing to do.

Loy is very comfortable and steady. The kind of person you might want with you in a lifeboat or in an operating room. Dunne can be that way too but I like her better when she's not. When Loy gets emotional she tends to hold her head up high and assume a stance of superiority, if only for show, as if to keep those feelings that are bubbling up from rolling out. In drama, she is interesting, but she has a distant demeanor that's hard to shake. Both ladies exhibit class, in Loy it oozes out the pores, but I don't think she can take a scene and run with it like Dunne. She's more dependent on those around her. I like them both very much but Dunne is more reachable. Having said that, my interpretation of Dunne's work gets crowded out by the three films I mentioned earlier.

You mentioned *Thirteen Women*. I'm not sure there was much room for depth in that film but I don't recall Loy's villain being all that layered. Perhaps those years of playing exotics in silent films showed her how to be a mask on to which others can interpret their own thoughts.

More later....but only if I'm not laughed at or mocked after this one! :)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> Youll have to excuse me if Im coming off a little harsh, but Im not feeling that great

> (the ladies will understand why) and at any moment we may have a fire drill at work

> and I really dont wanna walk down three flights of stairs only to stand outside in the heat.

>

> Now that absolutely killed me! I wish I could yank that fire alarm.

You see? Some people just need a frozen rope.

Some people just need a frozen rope.

NO Problem, little lady. Here at "Frozen Ropes R Us" your wish is my command. :-)

Even though the temps are getting warmer, as you can see... I have found us a supplier to keep the ropes on ice. I wanted to be sure we had a CONSTANT and ready supply for the summer months. HA! :P

FrozenRope.jpg

Hahhaaaaa!! I knew we could count on you, Our Lady of the Ropes!

So what was your ultimate opinion of The Furies? Don't worry if you

can only say it was "awful", lol! Stanwyck's character is tough to swallow

in many respects. I do like the direction, cinematography...and of course,

Gilbertito's "Juan".

P.S. Regarding our man Wendell, I like him OK. I think for "dry" type

characters, business or official types he's good. My favorite of his performances

is as Jimmy's ex-army pal turned police detective in Rear Window.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Our Lady of the Ropes!

Ha... we aim to please, young'un. :-)

So what was your ultimate opinion of The Furies? Don't worry if you

can only say it was "awful", lol!

No.... I won't say that... I actually liked it... Eventually. Ha.

I was really put off by what seemed like a bit of "over acting" at the beginning... but after a while... the characters seemed to get a little more "real'... and then... *The Evil Almost Step Mother* showed up. And boy howdy did things start to get more interesting. The entire story took a TURN at that point for me.

I am not quite ready for a full fledged ramble on this one... AND I have a date w/ a rope... and a little something called... The Man From Laramie over in westerns in the next day or so... (PS.. a certain GREY person and his Mad Hat friend had best be prepared...ha) But after that.... I may get FURY-ous. Ha. (so many movies... so little time.) :-)

My favorite of his performances

is as Jimmy's ex-army pal turned police detective in Rear Window

He did seem familiar to me... Maybe that is where I am remembering him from ... but I did not focus AS much on him as I should have because.... I kept noticing your beloved Gilberto!!! (woo hoo) :-)

*I wish I could yank that fire alarm.*

Frank moves toward the fire alarm.

furies.jpg

He reaches up to pull it.

furies2.jpg

He shouldn't have done that.

furies3.jpg

;)

We didn't have the drill today after all, at least not while I was still there. They gave us a three day window so I guess it will be sometime tomorrow which is dumb b/c since Monday is a holiday, a lot of people will probably take tomorrow off. I leave at 12:30 on Fridays so maybe they'll do it after that (crosses fingers).

Well now feaito, tell us what you really think.

Hi there. CineMaven here. What a wonderful read. I was dizzy with images you created in your post. (Actually, when I playfully wrote "man-crush" I was asking about male actors, you guys liked. But I loved reading about Hedy, Gene, Irene et al, though I could never quite fully engage with Loretta Young.

...but in 'THE RAINS CAME' we see a different Myrna than the MGM Myrna. She suddenly became sexier, again, she regained a certain alluring quality of a desirable liberated female, not the perfect, proper wife at which she excelled. In the Fox film she looked so beautiful, so "everything"; she was beautifully photographed, lit?.you should check that one if you haven't seen it."

Ohhhh, but I have seen it Senor, and you are absolutely right. I remember thinking to myself..,"hey Myrna...you're a **** here." She's leaning on a chair and George Brent offers a cigarette and puts it in her mouth. I'm trying to create a movie montage of scenes for a project I'm working on and I specifically used that scene from "THE RAINS CAME." I remember wondering why she seemed different than the Loy I was used to. Maybe becuz she was the pursuer...and she put it (her desires) "out" there. In fact I thought George Brent acquitted himself quite nicely in this film. Tyrone Power...well...sorry, I was just drooling while gazing at him. He didn't need the mustache, though. Now his is a beauty that could rival Lamarr's. Ha, ha! :-)

"So did Gail look okay in 'THE LAWLESS'? Were the ravages of her tragic personal life catching up with her by then? I hope not." - Bronxgirl.

If I can jump in there and answer that one, (well it's 5:45am and I'm up) Russell looked fine in this movie. A tad more mature, but the alcohol hadn't hit her looks yet. Her eyes mesmerize me. I dunno why.

"I re-visited Louise Brooks through that TCM documentary narrated by Shirley Maclaine, "Looking for Lulu". Fascinating..."

I don't know if this is what I saw back in the 80's (what I saw was channel 13 maybe, way before TCM) but I'd love to see "Looking for Lulu."

And getting back to you feaito:

"Please forgive my typos and mistakes in the language, but remember that I'm not a native speaker."

It is quite evident you are not a native speaker. YOU [uARE[/u] BETTER! :-)

coopsgirl - ?The one that really befuddles me is Wendell Corey. How he ever got a single role much less a 21 year career is beyond me. I haven?t seen him do a good job yet and unfortunately he?s in quite a few movies with people I like. He had absolutely no charisma and very little acting ability....there is just no place in my book for the Wendell Corey?s of the world. He?s not even bad in a fun to watch way he?s bad in a way that makes me mad that he was cast in the film.?

So you don?t like Wendell Corey, ey?? I?m no fan either...but I must say I did like him in ?HARRIET CRAIG? and in ?DESERT FURY.? I thought he stood up to Crawford, and I loved the subtext between Corey and Hodiak in ?DESERT FURY.? But he is pretty blaaaah.

coopsgirl - ?You couldn?t pay me enough to watch John Wayne and the only film I?ll watch with Leslie Howard is GWTW. Wendell Corey might as well be Gary Cooper compared to those two.

You?ll have to excuse me if I?m coming off a little harsh, but I?m not feeling that great (the ladies will understand why)...?

WOW!!! W-w-w-woweeeeeeeee!!!!Have you tried a hot water bottle??

Bronxgirl: - ?For some reason, she (Louise Brooks) loses a bit of her hard-edged eroticism and mystique without the Dutch bob. I've seen clips with her hair pulled back, and it's just not the same...?

You know, it?s as simple as that sometimes. A hairdo, a mustache can change one?s perception of a star. Joan Bennett went from a natural blonde to a raven haired beauty. That Dutch bob might?ve been like Samson?s hair; once changed...the strength is gone.

Molo...thanxxx so much for your thoughts on Irene Dune & Myrna Loy. Wonderful, wonderful! It was well-thought out and captured their persona. Laughed at or mocked? Uhhh, no.

P.S. Also saw a bit of "THEIR OWN DESIRE" and I'm lovin' Norma playing polo. She's got a touch of the tomboy in her and a real "Daddy's Girl" in a coupla movies. Cut quite a figure in her jodhpurs.

Hi there. CineMaven here. What a wonderful read. I was dizzy with images you created in your post. (Actually, when I playfully wrote "man-crush" I was asking about male actors, you guys liked. But I loved reading about Hedy, Gene, Irene et al, though I could never quite fully engage with Loretta Young.

...but in 'THE RAINS CAME' we see a different Myrna than the MGM Myrna. She suddenly became sexier, again, she regained a certain alluring quality of a desirable liberated female, not the perfect, proper wife at which she excelled. In the Fox film she looked so beautiful, so "everything"; she was beautifully photographed, lit?.you should check that one if you haven't seen it."

Ohhhh, but I have seen it Senor, and you are absolutely right. I remember thinking to myself..,"hey Myrna...you're a **** here." She's leaning on a chair and George Brent offers a cigarette and puts it in her mouth. I'm trying to create a movie montage of scenes for a project I'm working on and I specifically used that scene from "THE RAINS CAME." I remember wondering why she seemed different than the Loy I was used to. Maybe becuz she was the pursuer...and she put it (her desires) "out" there. In fact I thought George Brent acquitted himself quite nicely in this film. Tyrone Power...well...sorry, I was just drooling while gazing at him. He didn't need the mustache, though. Now his is a beauty that could rival Lamarr's. Ha, ha! :-)

"So did Gail look okay in 'THE LAWLESS'? Were the ravages of her tragic personal life catching up with her by then? I hope not." - Bronxgirl.

If I can jump in there and answer that one, (well it's 5:45am and I'm up) Russell looked fine in this movie. A tad more mature, but the alcohol hadn't hit her looks yet. Her eyes mesmerize me. I dunno why.

"I re-visited Louise Brooks through that TCM documentary narrated by Shirley Maclaine, "Looking for Lulu". Fascinating..."

I don't know if this is what I saw back in the 80's (what I saw was channel 13 maybe, way before TCM) but I'd love to see "Looking for Lulu."

"Please forgive my typos and mistakes in the language, but remember that I'm not a native speaker."

coopsgirl - ?The one that really befuddles me is Wendell Corey. How he ever got a single role much less a 21 year career is beyond me. I haven?t seen him do a good job yet and unfortunately he?s in quite a few movies with people I like. He had absolutely no charisma and very little acting ability....there is just no place in my book for the Wendell Corey?s of the world. He?s not even bad in a fun to watch way he?s bad in a way that makes me mad that he was cast in the film.?

So you don?t like Wendell Corey, ey?? I?m no fan either...but I must say I did like him in ?HARRIET CRAIG? and in ?DESERT FURY.? I thought he stood up to Crawford, and I loved the subtext between Corey and Hodiak in ?DESERT FURY.? But he is pretty blaaaah.

coopsgirl - ?You couldn?t pay me enough to watch John Wayne and the only film I?ll watch with Leslie Howard is GWTW. Wendell Corey might as well be Gary Cooper compared to those two.

You?ll have to excuse me if I?m coming off a little harsh, but I?m not feeling that great (the ladies will understand why)...?

Bronxgirl: - ?For some reason, she (Louise Brooks) loses a bit of her hard-edged eroticism and mystique without the Dutch bob. I've seen clips with her hair pulled back, and it's just not the same...?

You know, it?s as simple as that sometimes. A hairdo, a mustache can change one?s perception of a star. Joan Bennett went from a natural blonde to a raven haired beauty. That Dutch bob might?ve been like Samson?s hair; once changed...the strength is gone.

Molo...thanxxx so much for your thoughts on Irene Dune & Myrna Loy. Wonderful, wonderful! It was well-thought out and captured their persona. Laughed at or mocked? Uhhh, no.

P.S. Also saw a bit of "THEIR OWN DESIRE" and I'm lovin' Norma playing polo. She's got a touch of the tomboy in her and a real "Daddy's Girl" in a coupla movies. Cut quite a figure in her jodhpurs.