Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> "Head" is The Monkees one time venture into a film. I think "bizarre" is a more pleasant way to put the description. Mature had a small part as a studio executive.

>

> The four lads were trying to make some fun of their success and the way they were handled but it didn't come off too well.

Oh, you mean this one? It actually looks rather interesting. ;)

2r44ny1.jpg

Mature said in an interview, ''I took acting five times as seriously as anyone else, I just couldn't show it.''

Maven, I am going to watch *Cry of the City* sometime today.

According to Mature, his father and he traded quips throughout his life. His father's advice: ''As long as people think you're dumber than you are, you'll make money.''

On arriving in Hollywood, he said he telegraphed his father: ''Arrived here with 11 cents and an ambition. I am going to become an actor.''

His father wired back: ''Forty-three years ago I arrived in New York with five cents and could not even speak English. You are six cents up on me.''

I have to post this clip from *My Darling Clementine*, partly because of Vic's performance, and partly because it is such a damn great clip in general, every bit of is superb.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I hate that you put me in moods:

>

>

>

> I hate you. That's ALWAYS on topic. :P:P

Ha! It made me want to listen to 60s songs, too, so I switched my radio to a 60s station

and this song is playing now (how appropriate for this message board):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54qhjlTNVn0

I'm not kidding! I never heard this song on the radio before. The radio waves must be feeling our

state of mind.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Pardon ME but Vic's best acting was in.... :D And he was even "Shakespearean" in it,

> Bronxie!

>

> MDC-Theundiscoveredcountry.jpg

>

> MDC-VictorMatureasDoc-1.jpg

That's right, Goddess! Doc Holliday takes over for Alan Mowbray during the Hamlet soliloquy,

> I have to post this clip from *My Darling Clementine*, partly because of Vic's performance, and partly because it is such a damn great clip in general, every bit of is superb.

>

It is terrific, jackie -- I had forgotten that Victor could even recite Shakespeare!

I have to post this clip from My Darling Clementine, partly because of Vic's performance, and partly because it is such a damn great clip in general, every bit of is superb

Aw kid, that is one of my most favorite parts of the whole doggone movie... I LOVE the way that whole scene plays out...

(and ps.... the next best part after Victor is getting to hear Fonda say "THEEater"... that is how my old grandfolks used to talk.. I love that bit) :-)

Yes, they are VERY sensual. Or is that sensuous? I need Verna Bloom from ANIMAL HOUSE to correct me)

And normally I don't care for chubby fingers on actors (check out Alec Guinness -- oh, i'm my mother's daugher all right, LOL) but Vic's are so nice and plump.

Verna Bloom?? Ha! She will be on TCM at 2:00 AM in "Badge 373" starring Robert Duvall.

Sensual, sensuous...I'd have love to kiss him. He's got big strong arms too. And apparently a good sense of humor about his career. Isn't he standing next to Marilyn Monroe as they are standing in line to meet Queen Elizabeth?

P.S. Margaret Lindsay will appear in "The Dragon Murder Case" at 9:15am Wednesday morning.

Well geez, can't I go off-topic in my own post? Okay back to the big strong arms of Victor Mature...

I liked Victor Mature in *My Darling Clementine* and most things Biblical. I used to get him confused with Cornel Wilde for some reason.

*I would recommend "LOVE FROM A STRANGER." This was briefly discussed by Bronxgirl and MissGoddess.*

*Go on YouTube Molo and check this one out. Let us know wha'cha think.*

Okay I'll give it a try.

Just to clean house here.

Regarding: *Penthouse*

*Some minor spoilers.*

Hey Mae Clarke was a total babe. Lots of fire there too.

I was really disappointed after the gunshot when Phillips Holmes was the one still standing.

Like the police Captain said:

Why do these bums always knock off the good looking ones?

Regarding *When Ladies Meet*

*Spoilers*

*As the scene was playing itself out between Harding and Loy, I was amused by their conversation and Myrna & Harding slowly starting to like each other But when Harding realized who Loy was..I felt that this was really a cruel trick on these two women played by Montgomery. I understood his motivation, but as Ann was realizing who Myrna really is (did Myrna & Morgan have a foot fetish?) I felt bad. Yes, Myrna should have faded into the background (as the mistress) becuz now the wife?s in her milieu with her husband on the scene.*

When Ann starts realizing who Myrna is (yes there was a foot fetish theme here, at least my mind went there too.) I immediately threw all my sympathy over to her. I was kind of non committal before, like I didn't have a dog in the fight, but that scene really made me feel so bad for Harding. It was a cruel trick by Bob and I felt kind of bad for Myrna in that regard but she played by her own set of rules anyway. All is fair eh Bob.

*Oh dear. Oh dear. I really have to take Alice Brady in small doses. She was annoying. I was screaming: ?SHADDUP ALREADY!!!? Too fluttery, flustery fluff. Like Spring Byington or Edward Everett Horton, a little goes a long way. Ohhhh, where?s Fay Bainter when you need her?*

If you ever get a chance, maybe check out *Stage Mother* for a slightly different take on Alice Brady. TCM has played that one before. I always thought Fay Bainter was hiding something, maybe contempt, under the surface. She is the odd woman out in screwy matrons collection. I have always liked her though.

In other pre-code hijinks, I watched *Sweepings* the other night, not much there for my money. A tale of lost legacy and maybe poor parenting. I was interested in the building up of the store but that wasn't really the point of the film. You have talented but baby faced Eric Linden, as a thoughtful but spoiled loser, Gloria Stuart doing nothing, and William Gargan engaging in drunken, sexual role playing. With props. They are all under the wing of Lionel Barrymore. (was he STOM or something, because I sure have seen a lot of him lately) Gregory Ratoff, as Barrymore's right-hand man, was my favorite character.

Message was edited by: molo14

*Ooh, I haven't seen RIDERS TO THE STARS. I need to re-view THE MAN FROM PLANET X again. And the Creature is so adorable with his Troy Donahue fishy lips.* - Bronxgirl48

Hi Barb,

*Riders to the Stars* is all serious business. It's like a fifties version of *The Right Stuff* with a much lower budget of course. The thing is there is no space monster, no cerebral alien looking down on us, or any of that fun stuff. They just want to go to space and pick up an asteroid. The main interest is how they are picked and trained. *The Creature From the Black Lagoon* was cute and I was rooting for him. He just didn't fit in anywhere. Poor guy. No wonder he was so defensive.

Did Victor Mature ever do a sci-fi or horror film?

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Verna Bloom?? Ha! She will be on TCM at 2:00 AM in "Badge 373" starring Robert Duvall.

That's funny, I didn't even know she was in that TCM movie, so I guess I'm on-topic.

>

> Sensual, sensuous...I'd have love to kiss him. He's got big strong arms too. And apparently a good sense of humor about his career. Isn't he standing next to Marilyn Monroe as they are standing in line to meet Queen Elizabeth?

Yeah, I like his arms, too, and his chest! I think that is him next to Marilyn.

>

> P.S. Margaret Lindsay will appear in "The Dragon Murder Case" at 9:15am Wednesday morning.

I'm going to try and catch that (and I like Margaret) and the others in the series.

> Well geez, can't I go off-topic in my own post? Okay back to the big strong arms of Victor Mature...

Maybe Vic is a bit player in one of the Vances, lol -- keeping everything, ya know, CONNECTED. (My Marge Gunderson from FARGO impression)

Hey, molo!

Oh, yeah, asteroids are boring, no doubt about it.

Even Marilyn thought the Creature needed love.

Victor was in ONE MILLION YEARS, B.C. I think it was his first film!

The blown-up iguanas (passing for dinosaurs) were used as stock footage for years.

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> I liked Victor Mature in *My Darling Clementine* and most things Biblical. I used to get him confused with Cornel Wilde for some reason.

Funny you should say that, molo. Believe it or not, I am still getting Mature and Wilde confused, at least occasionally!

I'd agree he was very good in My Darling Clementine and Biblical epics. I also liked him in some of the musicals he made at Fox. Many Victor Mature titles are still more likely to turn up on the FMC than they are on TCM, unfortunately. Over the years I have been able to record My Gal Sal, Wabash Avenue, Something for the Birds and, just yesterday, Cry of the City.

I respectfully ask that you do not turn other people's threads into fight threads due to any possible personal dislikes that you may (or may not) have.

I am sorry you feel this way, Holly. It was not my intention to provoke, only to point out that, although this particular thread encompasses many films discussed from a wide variety of genres, your noir-movie updates might have been better served in Hot Topics or the Noir Forum itself, where a greater number of people would have been able to quickly see them, as I believe they were basically intended as informative alerts, and not rambles per se. For rambling, this Movie Rambles thread is the ticket. I for one would welcome your extended thoughts on PANDORA'S BOX, GUEST IN THE HOUSE, LOVE FROM A STRANGER, and any other movies talked about here and also introduced, amid an atmosphere of understood civility and smoothly flowing, uninterrupted conversation.

People who have known me for some time on these boards know that

the only fights I would ever be engaged in are with myself: deciding, for example, which film I'd rather watch on a particular night -- a wonderfully lousy horror/sci-fi movie, or some much-lauded cinema classic. (sometimes these are tough choices)

I also think I am a fair-minded and rational person who shuns conflict and tries to get along with everybody. The concept of criticizing a board member due to personal dislike, is abhorrent to me.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> I for one would welcome your extended thoughts on PANDORA'S BOX, GUEST IN THE HOUSE, LOVE FROM A STRANGER, and any other movies talked about here and also introduced, amid an atmosphere of understood civility and smoothly flowing, uninterrupted conversation.

This is fair enough, Bronxie. I am all for understood civility and smoothly flowing, uninterrupted conversation. If I have erred in some way, for whatever reason, I promise to try to be more careful and show you I mean no disrespect to anyone. My enthusiasm for classic cinema is as true and genuine as anyone else's. Sometimes, due to the stresses of everyday life, I may become a little too eager to try and participate in an ongoing conversation, and if in doing so I have caused you or any friends any distress, I am truly and humbly very sorry and hope you'll be kind enough to accept my apology. As I told Scott a while ago, a loved one recently underwent surgery, and I've been trying to calm down and relax a little bit more, because for a bit there it was truly a little stressful for me (and a little scary, too).

Thinking or talking about movies has on more than a few occasion gotten me through some tough periods of my life. I don't pretend that I've had it worse than others, but there have been enough close calls to really make me try to live each day to its fullest. Movies are one thing that oftentimes make even the worst ordeals a little more bearable (and without resorting to addictive substances).

Having said that, I promise to you that if you'll but give me but a little chance, I'll do everything I can to be a better participant, every single day.

Holly

Apology accepted, Holly. Life is tough for all of us. I hope your family health crisis will resolve itself into a positive situation.

So let's begin fresh and see what develops.

...(and ps.... the next best part after Victor is getting to hear Fonda say "THEEater"... that is how my old grandfolks used to talk.. I love that bit)

Howdy, Ro!

I love hearing how Fonda talks in this movie, too! He emphasizes words just a little bit differently. "Theeater"...so cute! My other favorite line by him, which he repeats a couple of

times is "What kind of a town is this?" He sounds so exasperated, lol! As if he'd never

been in a "wide open town" before, ha! Sure, Wyatt. :P