Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie Rambles

MissGoddess

*Hey Scotchie! We should definitely hoist a few cups...... of tea... in celebration!*

im all for it! what shall we drink to?

*I am so excited to see this doc... I'm happy to see that your happy too. Are you done with school already? My daughter still has 12 days to go....*

yes! im so happy the semester is over. what grade is your daughter in?

im all for it! what shall we drink to?

Let's drink to Pappy, and to all the reasons we love his movies....

yes! im so happy the semester is over. what grade is your daughter in?

she's just finishing the third grade and really excited about summer vacation......

Did you get to watch the Ford doc? I am still weepy.... but I did think it was funny how in the interview, Pappy kept holding his hand up, very effectively throwing a shadow over his face. Don't tell me he didn't know exactly what he was doing, the feisty old bird!

I am copying it onto dvd right now, so I will have room to record The Horse Soldiers later.

Pappy kept holding his hand up, very effectively throwing a shadow over his face. Don't tell me he didn't know exactly what he was doing, the feisty old bird!

To quote Duke: "I KNOW he knew exactly what he was doing!"

My dadblasted, dadblamed, dadburned dvd recorder went AWOL on me RIGHT in the MIDDLE of the doc. It's not as tragic since I already have it recorded but I was just getting a "safety" copy in case it would be better quality but the annoyance is that I had to shut off and unplug everything while I performed major surgery on my dadblasted, dadblamed, dadburned dvd recorder to remove the offending disc. Grrrrr.....

Anyway, I was weeping copiously before that so perhaps it's just as well.

Oh my goodness, WHAT a documentary...

thats right dahlink, let it all out. its okay. im surely you put up a fight with your DVD recorder. heehee!

i got the very fist part of the documentary, but momma changed the channel right in the middle when i was in the height of crying. goodness...

jackie, lets do raise a toast to our Pappy. he deserved it! how adorable he was!

i remember the 3rd grade! i had such a sweet teacher! good times, good times! heehee! so that means she's going into the 4th grade. she's becoming a little lady! how cute!!! what are yall planning for the summer fun?

MissG and ButterT- I couldn't get back on last night, sorry......

I got a good copy I think... don't know if you want it or not. Let me know... I am happy to send it out.

I couldn't believe the quality of the film clips in that documentary - they were so pristine....

Hubby asked if I needed Kleenex at about the 15 minute mark. Hallie driving up to Tom's cabin.....I said no, thank you and then asked him for the box 5 minutes later - and a good thing too, because I continued to cry for the whole thing - highlights of my crying jag were The Home from the Hill poem from TWE, John Qualen in the dirt from TGOW, and almost every part of HGWMV.... oh, and everything else.

Didn't it look like the Wayne, Stewart and Fonda interviews had just been shot? I was amazed at their pristine quality.

I thought Walter Hill's comments were great and really got into the heart of Ford's

U-N-I-Q-U-E-N-E-S-S and the underlying complexity of many of his films. I wasn't familiar with

who he was so I looked him up at Imdb.com:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001353/

I've been peeping in on TEST PILOT which I hope my stupid machine picked up. I just

love that movie. The way Myrna "handles" Clark Gable is so wonderfully alive and perfectly

in tune with him. I know she's William Powell's best leading lady, too, but I do think she

shines just as brightly with Gable. Spence, as the guy with no roots or family or prospect

of one, is just great as the pal who loses a big chunk of his life when his friend gets married.

For the first time I appreciated how his character shows the hollowness of his life without

a home and family of his own.

Test Pilot is awesome! I was watching this morning, not closely, but it is always one I will watch when it is on.... for those who think Myrna is aloof or maybe just a light actress, this is the one to watch... what man wouldn't want her? And Gable is so rock solid here, he really came into his own with Fleming.... Tracy... there are no words for how good he is. The whole thing is just fantastic from beginning to end. And the dialogue--- just listen to Myrna's speech about seeing her rival for the first time..... Something like "he never looked at me with that kind of love....." Hawks really nailed the whole flyboy mystique here. I just love it.

I agree, Walter Hill cut right to the heart in this one. I would love to hear more of what he thinks about Ford. Outtakes? Oh, well. Of his movies, I have only seen The Long Riders which I liked very much at one time, but I can't remember it much now..

Photobucket

Message was edited by: JackFavell

Has anyone seen "The Woman In The Window"?

SPOILERS

I watched it last night and while it was a good picture I felt completely suckered by the ending. It is one thing when the cast is had, if you will, and you along with it in the story but when the whole thing is a fraud I don't like it so much. Granted there is some suspending your logic here but that is the case in some movies or you don't have a movie. Meeting Bennett in the first place is one of them.

Mind you I thought Edward G. Robinson was terrific as the plain college professor who gets caught up in something way beyond him. He is surprisingly calm in the storm around him. At times he seems dumb as a rock and others as cold and calculating as he needs to be. Joan Bennett is good too. Dan Duryea is his slimy self and wonderfully so.

Just when you think you have it all squared away and wrapped up it is all something completely different.

Am I nuts or did I miss some important signs? If so, what were they?

Message was edited by: movieman1957

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Test Pilot is awesome! I was watching this morning, not closely, but it is always one I will watch when it is on.... for those who think Myrna is aloof or maybe just a light actress, this is the one to watch... what man wouldn't want her? And Gable is so rock solid here, he really came into his own with Fleming.... Tracy... there are no words for how good he is. The whole thing is just fantastic from beginning to end. And the dialogue--- just listen to Myrna's speech about seeing her rival for the first time..... Something like "he never looked at me with that kind of love....." Hawks really nailed the whole flyboy mystique here. I just love it.

>

I love how Myrna teases Gable about looknig like a bear. Ha! It's true!

Hawksie and Wellman were well-known fly-boys who knew their stuff but this time it

was *Vic Fleming* at the helm and I think it's one of the best of the whole "genre". He

was a pilot, too, but gave it up after a while.

> I agree, Walter Hill cut right to the heart in this one. I would love to hear more of what he thinks about Ford. Outtakes? Oh, well. Of his movies, I have only seen The Long Riders which I liked very much at one time, but I can't remember it much now..

>

He really got deep and I just wanted Peter to stay on him and let him keep going.

The idea of "outtakes" is great: TCM, are you listening? You and Peter B. still

have time before the September release to squeeze in some outtakes!! :D

Fabulous screencap, Jackie! That interview just cracks me up. He's really putting poor

Pete through the wringer, ha!! "No." "I don't know." "With a camera." hahahahahaha!!

Your recorder really makes fantastic quality images. May I ask

what brand or model it is? You said it was a DVR, didn't you? I

wish mine came out that good.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Has anyone seen "The Woman In The Window"?

>

> SPOILERS

>

> I watched it last night and while it was a good picture I felt completely suckered by the ending. It is one thing when the cast is had, if you will, and you along with it in the story but when the whole thing is a fraud I don't like it so much. Granted there is some suspending your logic here but that is the case in some movies or you don't have a movie. Meeting Bennett in the first place is one of them.

>

> Mind you I thought Edward G. Robinson was terrific as the plain college professor who gets caught up in something way beyond him. He is surprisingly calm in the storm around him. At times he seems dumb as a rock and others as cold and calculating as he needs to be. Joan Bennett is good too. Dan Duryea is his slimy self and wonderfully so.

>

> Just when you think you have it all squared away and wrapped up it is all something completely different.

>

> Am I nuts or did I miss some important signs? If so, what were they?

>

> Message was edited by: movieman1957

Chris---Grimes is your man to go to on this flick, he's the expert. I'm sure he'll have

an explanation.

I didn't have a problem with the ending, I just found the whole movie a little too dry. I can't

help but compare it to *Scarlet Street*, which has the same cast, but I think is much tighter

and you may enjoy more.

It's actually a hand me down from my husband's friend who upgraded. It's a Panasonic

DMR -E95H. I'm not sure what number is available now in stores.

I think they have way more up to date versions of this machine out there, but this one works great, except for the TV Guide feature which is constantly going down - You have to reprogram it to get the automatic recording, and you have to leave it off overnight to get the guide to come back up, which I almost never can accomplish. I just use the timer record instead.

I loved how Peter B put that documentary together. I love that he was not chronologically oriented, but more theme conscious. Even the actors who got short shrift (I am talking specifically about Ben Johnson and Will Rogers, just because I was looking out for them) included their most moving scenes. Ben's was the Trooper Smith scene, in which he gently lays Smith down and wraps his coat around him; and Will's was the very moving reflection soliliquy scene from Judge Priest, in which he talks lovingly to his deceased wife. This is what happens when you get a filmmaker who cares deeply about his subject.

Hey, Movieman -- I can talk to you about The Woman in the Window on this

thread, if you like. It's also getting discussed some, of late, in the "Film Noir Gallery." And

here's a couple threads for the film if you wish to read some writings of others and myself:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=112064&start=30&tstart=0

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7979579

But I will certainly talk to you about it wherever you wish to.

This is what happens when you get a filmmaker who cares deeply about his subject.

Amen to that. I think this doc is one of Peter's greatest accomplishments.

What a difference to the pastiche that is the Ford-at-Fox documentary.

P.S. I think from what I've heard here (talkietime's written a lot about Panasonic recorders) and elsewhere on the web about the Panasonics, your older model is much the better product than my more recent one. Hang onto it because I think they may be phasing out that type of hard driver recorder.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Has anyone seen "The Woman In The Window"?

Yes! It is one of my _favorite_ noirs. :D

I think the ending is one of those things that you either go with or you just don't accept at all, so sorry to hear you didn't care for it. I am always happy to hear the reactions of people who have watched it for the first time, so today you really made my day, Chris! ;)

That's good to know.... I will keep it safe and sound!

Patiche is the right word. Sometimes they seem to just use stock footage and write around that. Not with Bogdanovich! You know he hand picked and chose what he wanted and then he got the original film to take his cuts. And he used full length scenes, which is another pet peeve of mine. Just when you get to the good stuff, they cut away... thank goodness he was able to control the project so as to illustrate points with a free hand.

I dislike it when I am watching a documentary and I either know more than the people who made it, or I am correcting them all the way throuhg the piece.... And they all follow a certain form, usually chronological, which can be slightly depressing if the subject got ill or stopped working and such like. For instance, I've always wanted to see a Beatles documentary told completely backwards - from the breakup of the band back to the beginning.... but I guess I am going to have to make it myself if I want to see it.