Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kaneboop

Ladykillers remake :(

It's irritating isn't it.

Probably because of the decades-long creativity drought in the Movie Industry.

--- begin somewhat unrelated rant ---

Most movies today are composed of special effects draped over a thin or non-existant plot with unrealistic repetition of foul-language and lame sex scenes bolted on.

--- end somewhat unrelated rant ----

I just saw a commercial for the new LADYKILLERS. Sometimes remakes are O.K. and sometimes they are horrible. Even worse are the remakes of old TV shows. At least Tom Hanks is usually in quality films & doesn't do junk just for money. In the commercial his character looks very eccentric.

Because UNFORTUNATELY there are but a hand few of creative screenwriters at work today. So-called studios employ 20 somethings. Those over 40 are unemployable. I'd venture to say most working woundn't even know who Alex Guinense is---Agree? What say U?

Leo

Being of the early twenties age group I would agree that most only know of Alec from "Star Wars" and even then I'm sure a lot don't realize who he is or that he may have done more great work

Forgive me for not automatically assuming the new version will suck (as I am prone to do with 97% of all modern remakes), but since it is a Coen Brothers film, chances are good that it will be a good and clever spin on the original work. These are not hack journeymen with no love of film history. These are pros, and respectful ones at that.

I like the Coen brothers but you never know. I said the same thing about Tim Burton with Planet of the Apes and it showed me.

I know I've said this on these boards in the past, so forgive me for repeating myself, but Hollywood remakes are nothing new. For example, MGM filmed LITTLE WOMEN in 1933 in b&w and then remade it in 1949 in technicolor. I like both versions, as well as the more recent (1990's) version with Winona Ryder. If a remake can bring something new to the mix (like using new technology), or throw in a different way of telling the story (as the Winona Ryder version did by emphasizing a feminist view), then I have no problem with a re-telling.

What I thought was a mistake was the recent remake of PSYCHO which copied the original film shot-for-shot. What was the point?

The Alec Guinness role in THE LADYKILLERS is a great role and I can understand Tom Hanks wanting to sink his teeth into it. After all, look how many actors long to play Hamlet, or Blanche DuBois!

And yes, most young people today have no idea who Alec Guinness was until you say Obi Wan Kenobi. I work in youth theatre and one of my young actors didn't know who Bing Crosby was. I was delighted to be able to introduce her to his music. I like to think that a modern remake of a classic film may cause someone to seek out the original.

Sandy K