Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any Erroll Flynn Fans in the Forum?

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> I'm a big fan of Errol's, and feel compelled to defend his memory by pointing out that his name's spelled with one "L," not two.

We know about your struggles with names. LOL!

Anyways, I am a fan of Mr. Flynn! My favorite is either "Robin Hood" or "Santa Fe Trail". He was one of the first actors I could recognize when I was little. I even remember watching his films when I was four.

Thanks for the spelling correction! My bad! Thanks also for the YouTube link! That was fabulous! In case anyone else hasn't seen it, there is an amazing video with Dinah Washington singing "Mad About the Boy" over photos and quotes. What a treat!

Thanks again Errol Fans!!!!

I really like Errol Flynn. I just watched *Never Say Goodbye* a couple of nights ago. I was thinking, and I good be wrong, but Flynn had such an easy charm with his leading ladies that I think sets him apart from some other big male stars.

Grant, Gable, Cagney etc. could often be condescending or even a little nasty to their leading ladies in even their lightest of films but Flynn never really comes off that way. Just a thought. Like I said I could be wrong. I haven't seen all his films.

Molo, I believe you've made an excellent excellent and accurate observation. Think about Mitchum. Erroll was one of a kind. As I've said elsewhere, I keep forgetting about the chemistry he had with the lovely Olivia DeHavilland.

The Adventures of Robin Hood is one of my all-time favorite movies. I agree about his ease with women. I think, in part, his ease with Olivia was because he was truly in love with her in real life. I think she also was in love with him but realized his lifestyle would only bring her trouble in the end. Also, I really believe because he was so damn gorgeous that many of his leading ladies just lost themselves in their roles, sans Bette Davis, of course. I watched They Died With Their Boots on for about the millionth time late one night last week on another cable channel. Gotta love the Flynn!

It's always good to see Errol fans!

My favorite Flynn has Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk tied for first, with Gentleman Jim or Footsteps In The Dark a close second. However-

There is a scene in The Adventures Of Robin Hood that always makes me grin-Robin and his men are about to waylay Richard and his men, not realizing that the king has returned to England. As the group rides into Sherwood, there is Robin stretched out on a branch above them and when they spot him, he smiles and gives this kind of sweeping wave. That smile and that gesture are so natural and carefree-not only does it completely realize the character, but it also seems to typify Errol Flynn as an actor and a person.

I am DEFINITELY a fan of Errol Flynn!!

I am not sure if I could pick a fav.movie, because I liked him in so many roles.

My husband, who is not a particular fan, and I watched "Never Say Goodbye" and

we were BOTH delighted by his comedic turn in this part.

Some time ago, I read David Niven's book, "The Moon Is a Balloon", and in it he

writes about his friendship with Errol Flynn.

I am one of E.Flynn's fans who hoped he would have gone on to live and work for

a long time.

I grew up with those Flynn movies. I can't even put my finger on one favorite. It seemed like all those early Warners flicks of his were the same movie.....Errol Flynn and his "rag-tag, misfit" army, making the world safe while saving the damsel in distress. I loved all of them.

I've never been a big fan of Mr Flynn. *BUT*, I'll never be able to watch another of his films without remembering the Olivia DeHavilland interview where she talks about the kissing scene in "*Robin* *Hood"* that she intentionally kept flubbing untill Mr Flynn started having a problem with his tights.... OK *"Great Lover"* *NOW* what are you going to do ?? He was ask as he hobbled back to his dressing room........

Yeah. I've heard that too. I also heard of a line of thinking that went something like this; "Flynn looked great in costumes, no matter how ridiculous the costumes were." It's tough for me to imagine any guy putting on clothes like that everyday.

Great story. Olivia was lucky she was on the set when she did that and NOT in his dressing room. She'd have a veddy different story to tell.

Wow...I didn't know DeHavilland was such a naughty minx! ;-)

I have to admit that while I like Flynn, I never warmed up to him quite as well as I did for some of the "tougher" guys from the period, just a style thing I think. Then I saw that documentary about him a year or so ago and I started to get a bit more interested in his career, particularly his later period. I was totally fascinated watching him in that B film TCM aired a little while ago, *THE BIG BOODLE* which has to be one of the better film titles of all time! LOL

I've always liked him in *FOOTSTEPS IN THE DARK* what a hoot! And he's great in *EDGE OF DARKNESS*, and getting into more of his films lately as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Love Errol Flynn movies. I think he's sadly underrated, both in his own time and currently.

Best of Flynn on film:

The Charge of the Light Brigade

The Sea Hawk

Captain Blood

Adventures of Robin Hood

Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Gentleman Jim

> {quote:title=mickeeteeze wrote:}{quote}

> Yeah. I've heard that too. I also heard of a line of thinking that went something like this; "Flynn looked great in costumes, no matter how ridiculous the costumes were." It's tough for me to imagine any guy putting on clothes like that everyday.

True, he could pull it off. Yet look at Cary Grant who said, ?I don?t belong in costumes,? after making The Howards of Virginia. There's some kind of crazy magic needed to play Robin Hood or Captain Blood and look that good.

Well, certainly I get the idea he was extremely charismatic in his day to day life. As one of my childhood favorites, I once upon the time believed all that Hollywood "hoo-rah" about championship boxer, mad escapes from distant islands and so forth. But, given where he was born, where he traveled, and the enormous success he became, I'd venture to guess the real story was probably equally intriguing, and driven by his persona. I really doubt there was much "personality direction" necessary for Flynn when he was making those "over the top, swashbuckling hero gets the girl and saves the day" parts he is so associated with. I think Errol had an "invincibility complex" in spades. And given that I've never heard anyone say he wasn't a nice man (flawed, but not BAD), he was probably easy to be around. And a lot of fun.

I think he was underrated as well. I don't remember a role in which he gave a bad line reading, or made a false move. There are many famous actors who can't say the same. He was so easy and relaxed that it never seems like work. But you know every thought that flickers across that beautiful face:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

He's the perfect Robin Hood and always will be.

Photobucket

And I think he may be the only movie star to have a live cameo in a Bugs Bunny cartoon....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FuRDCNfUc