Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NZ

BODY OF WORK - WHOSE DO YOU MOST ADMIRE?

In today's disposable celebrity climate few actors or actresses get to establish themselves in what used to be known as a 'body of work.'

During the golden age of Hollywood in general and musicals in particular, stars were put through a grinder and given the opportunity to work in a variety of genres to establish themselves as a commodity with their fan base. Some stars (like Joan Crawford or John Wayne) had big, long lasting careers while others (like James Dean or Marilyn Monroe) had relatively brief but very memorable tenures.

Since this is a musical genre forum thread I am going to refrain from listing my favorite stars who have a body of work primarily outside the musical genre.

In making my decision about the stars I am about to list I've tried to consider quality more than quantity, though I suppose the latter has its place in this discussion too.

Anyway, musical stars body of work I most admire:

Fred Astaire

Gene Kelly

Judy Garland

Howard Keel

Kathryn Grayson

Jane Powell

Debbie Reynolds

Eleanor Powell

Jeanette MacDonald

Maurice Chevalier