Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who wants to read a more than decent novel which includes referances to classic films along with their memerable soundtracks all wrapped around a thriller-suspence tale??? Well, it's written by me & called 'Why Me?' It can be viewed on the publisher's site

www.1stbooks.com When on the homepage, type in author name Leo Bertucelli and book title Why Me?

It will soon be released to online bookstores then retail stores. This book I feel reflects the essence of old movie feelings. I am Italian by Heritage/American by birth. I have a high regard for both!

Leo Bertucelli

Great- and do let me know what U think? As I mentioned,the contents of the book is moody (I like rain in scenes)and IF you wanted to buy actual book rather than on computer, it's less expensive ordering from 1stbooks.com than from Barnes&Nobel, Borders, etc.

And oh, if you wish U can contact me at my email address

which is harlequinfilms_7@hotmail.com

Until then, Leo; and thank you.

Well doesn't anyone want to take a peek at the book I wrote? Just log on to 1stbooks.com then enter my name and title of my novel; 'Why Me?' What's interesting is that the story is laced with references to great soundtracks & actors from the 40's...do let me know what U think.

Leo

• 4 months later...

I'm curious, jhnrndglt, what gives you the impression that leo is an 'author'? Are you saying that he has an online book where there are STILL typos?

He is trying to pass as an author here and is not doing a very good job. In addition, he is hawking an obscure little book for which he seems to have written his OWN review on Amazon. And now you mean to say that he is making it available online and it HAS MISSPELLINGS?

jhnrndglt, wouldn't you believe that even an ONLINE book has an editor and a proofreader?

Or, leo, have you taken on YET another alias? Have you no shame?

My apology, jhnrndglt, in thinking you might be leo. I just saw another post of yours, and the spelling was completely correct, a skill in which he is sorely lacking. I imagine he will be going into an 'open admission' college which has an "English for Dummies" remedial class for Freshmen who were too stupid to learn English by the time they graduated high school.

jhnrndglt, I'm still curious as to why you think leo is genuine, however.

I know authors who have had books published by 1st Books and the site is legitimate.

It is a vanity publishing company and the authors are responsible for editing and marketing their books (I think).

But Bruce Kimmel (the director of THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL) and producer of a LOT of Broadway Cast Album CD's has published his Benjamin Kritzer trilogy of books there - and they are a great read:

Benjamin Kritzer, Kritzerland, and Kritzer Time are all pretty funny re-tellings of his childhood growing up in 1950's-60's Los Angeles.

Thanks for realizing I am NOT leobertucelli. I don't which of us should be the most insulted. LOL!!!

Hey stoney why not cease all your bickering and just order the novel-BUT christ, when you start to appreciate the writing you no doubt will fly all around the room as a balloon --'cause of the stall hot air will be expunged...And STOP with mispelled words! I've seen others just post without a spell check because most times it hardly works. One's brain usually corrects as you read.

n'est pas?

For the record jhnr & anyone else: I was dismayed when I saw the words all misspelled as well. the worst was a sentence where word was 'threat' and it got in book to read 'treat' instead. I think when pages are typeset for publication these errors sometimes do occur. But as I stated earlier, usually the brain corrects as one reads...

I respect the fact that you accomplished this feat. I read constantly - all types stories. I have always fantasized of writing stories myself, but probably never will.

Here is what I got from that website:

The synopsis, I feel did not create a connection or curiosity to read the book further. It felt routine. It didn't hook the reader to the main character or his path. If you wanted the reader to become curious or intrigued you were too vague or generic.

The exert you (or the site) chose was probably not the one to chose. Again, I kept thinking I don't know or care about the main character. It's some guy who doesn't want to called so early. (mentioned more than once) This friend (not really a friend - mentioned more than once) needed to see him fast (mentioned more than once). The rhythm of this exert, in the first person was all over the place. Too many run on sentences along with to many questions (the same question several times).

Trying to read the repeated information - I could not get a picture in my mind of the scene.

If this was the style of the whole book it would be a tough read (in respect to the rhythm, run ons and repeated information).

This is not a personnal attack. This is coming from an avid reader and fan of the written word. This is what I would have said to a fellow student in college during a round table.

Again, you took bigger steps than I ever will with this book.

Good luck on the next book.

Leo~

I also took a look at the site myself and by reading the synopsis and preview, here's what I have to say.

Mind you, I too am telling you this as one write to another (I too am trying to write a novel). I have resorted to many grammar books and "How to Write" books to help me with my writing, and I have learned a lot. What I have learned has helped me analyze writing better.

I have to agree with bggalaxy in saying that the synopsis did not say much about the story. There was no hook, and that is very important in a synopsis; it pulls the reader in. The synopsis was also jumpy; I don't know if it was explaining the whole book or just one part. Either way, I couldn't tell. I don't know who wrote that synopsis, because sometimes I know publishing companies will write them and other times, the author does.

The preview was, like bggalaxy said, redundant. The same facts were stated over and over again. Grammar is not my strong point, but in reading I found quite a few grammatical errors (punctuation especially, as well as word choice) and spelling errors were evident. I stumbled upon some sentences that just did not make sense to me, even after repeat readings.

The question of what was said kept me reading, but I feel that you said it a little too late, and I don't even know if that was the entire conversation.

I know it is very hard to get rid of excess wording in sentences. If you try to weed out all the things you do not need, your writing will flow much better, and the audience will be able to understand easier. You could find that you could edit a lot of that preview and get to the point within one or two paragraphs.

Once again, this is a critique just as one writer to another, so don't take this personally. From what I have read, the storyline seems like it could have potential, but I didn't get enough of a taste of it to push me to find out.

Hope this helps.

*Sorry, fellow TCM memebers for my long message which I admit is off the topic of classic movies. I felt I had to reply. Sorry if it's innappropriate to put it here. I won't do it again.

I appreciate all you had to say--to clarify, there was the first page of actual book & 7 or so lines of a so-called synopsis was placed there WITHOUT any aspect to the suspense of an 'everyman' trapped by circumstances and then it was only in press releses that went out to the media where it said a portion of the plot was the taking of human body parts; for sales & profit. Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss any aspect with you any time. Perhaps in a more private vein, by e-mail =-=Alright?

I did say I was not going to go on again but after reading those caustic remarks about that 'cause Caleb' Leo I had to respond. As to what kimbo and bnngalaxy said I must say I read the same thing and found it intriguing.

In fact I ordered his novel WHY ME? I'll let you know what I think after reading it but is that picture on the cover Leo or a model? In any event, I think that picture is like a 40's movie star. It is a very attractive guy with a hint of danger in his expression. To me, it works.

Luccal, what are you doing? leo clearly understood the manner of kimbos and my posts. He knew they were not attacks on him. So why do you try to stir things up? Myself (and kimbo as far as I can tell) give him props for having the drive to create a book.

Feelings around here concerning leo seem to be moving on.

He has explained to my satisfaction his thoughts on silents - so thats cool.

I don't always agree with all he says but I don't always agree with mongo, slappy, classic, antar, and everyone else whos a regular here too.

I been pretty good about staying out of all the hassels just wanting them to pass.

remember the "tolerance" post? Everyone here can do it. Just because the words are in black and white there are folks punching the keys. Young & old, left & right, each seeing what is written before them differently.

luccal - things are cool. welcome back

I have no idea why bansi has a problem with what I wrote.

I understood that what was written by kimbo and bggalaxy were not attacks. Question now is why didn't you understand what I said? Is it any wonder as to why I refrained from staying with this site. Some of you seem to really have some problems.

To lucal I say thank you for your comments and for buying my book. AND now for some film talk: I requested HANGOVER SQUARE & WAS TOLD tmc DOESAN'T HAVE IT BUT fox DOES. i STILL HAVE YET TO SEE IT.

And also, just why doesn't this site list who won the book?