Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Capuchin

What movie prop do you want?

There's another shot I like very much of Joseph Cotten pretending to paint the bar mural- I copied it and a few others to keep in my computer, but you may have these already-

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Very nice! Look at that ethereal light over Jennifer Jones in the second one; it suggests a ghostly presence!

*Sorry to digress from the thread; I'm a hopeless Tati fan.*

So am I, and I hope no one minds this digression as well. I would almost defy anyone to watch Mon Oncle and then take a walk around the neighborhood and not at least smile at everyday things and occurrences. Tati had such a rich and subtle sense of humour that it can actually rub off on you. Everyday occurrences take on a humorous aspect. The guy standing there to make the delivery while the lady of the house turns on the fish fountain, the sound of the water itself, the guy sweeping (or is he) the street, the endless housecleaning with all those "modern" appliances and again the sound that they make, even the guy at the very beginning drilling the street. Tati had a way of making us look at these things and smile inwardly. Though not inherently funny, Tati trains the camera on them and somehow makes us aware of a the humorous element of these everyday things, the way human beings go about doing them. It's amazing how he does this. Then go and take that walk around the neighborhood and watch the cable guy climb the pole. It's so Tati. ;)

Very well put! To see the world in a special way as Tati did, and then convey that vision so others can also see the world anew, is the greatest form of art I know.

Casablancalover suggested that a Tati thread be started. As I mentioned, Tati's Traffic is being released on DVD in just a few days. After I get it I'll post some info on the DVD and some of his other work. Unless you feel like starting a thread... then I'll just add onto yours!

*ccbaxter*, by all means do the honor of starting the Tati thread yourself and then kick it off with that info you have. Looking forward to it.

*JackFavell*, thank you for mentioning that scene, so very funny. Boy, those kids were good at it, weren't they?

How abt the cosmetics case that Joel gave Jean in The More The Merrier. Wasn't that a wonderful scene with her obvious delight and him showing her all the doodads and how it works and ending up with rouge on his nose.

I want Pywacket, Pywacket, Pywacket. Course I'll have to take one of his descendents for consolation...

BTW, We saw a gorgeous sail boat (forgive me, I don't know a sloop from a whatever), in dry dock at Marina Del Rey, CA. It was called Pywacket. Turned out to belong to Roy Disney/

> {quote:title=ccbaxter wrote:}{quote}

> When you mentioned the word 'portrait', it got me to remember the prop I'd love most of all to have. And that's Ivan Le Lorraine Albright's marvelously decayed portrait of Dorian Gray (snipped)

> The painting is currently in the collection of The Art Institute of Chicago

This got me thinking about the other portrait, the one of Hurd Hatfield. I had read somewhere that he owned it. But he's passed.....where is it now?

Props I'd love to have:

The falcon from The Maltese Falcon

Bogart's trademark fedora from The Big Sleep

Judy Garland's ruby slippers from Wizard of OZ

A chariot from Ben-Hur (1959)

and George C. Scott's rejected Oscar for Patton - don't know if this last one classifies as a prop but I'll take it!

Movie props on my wish list, to name a few:

* I'll flip a coin with FilmFatale for 'Rosebud'

* Spencer Tracy's straw fedora from 'Inherit the Wind', or any men's hat from any movie

* Fredric March's briefcase from 'Best Years of Our Lives'

* Bogie's boat 'Santana' from 'Key Largo' and other movies

* The letters of passage with Ilsa's and Victor's names from 'Casablanca'

* 'Captain America's' chopper from 'Easy Rider'

* The Little Tramps' hat and cane

* Edward G. Robinson's pipe with tape holding it together, from 'The Stranger', or any of the pipes from any movie

* Gene Tierney's overbite

The letters of passage with Ilsa's and Victor's names from 'Casablanca'

You'd have to bid against me and probably "casablancalover" for those!

--Gus Cerini

For me, 2 props come immediately to mind.

I'd like to have the prop knife that Johnny Weissmuller used in the MGM Tarzan movies.

And, I lust for that pair of pistols Clint Eastwood used in The Outlaw Josie Wales.

Love to have the clothes that Grace Kelley wore in Rear Window. And the Marc Cross leather carry case for the nightgown and slippers. And the multi strand thick pearl bracelet with the gold discs.

Barbara Stanwycks jewels in Sorry Wrong Number.

The diamond broach Gene Tierney wore in The Razors Edge!

> {quote:title=CCerini wrote:}{quote}

> The letters of passage with Ilsa's and Victor's names from 'Casablanca'

>

> You'd have to bid against me and probably "casablancalover" for those!

>

> --Gus Cerini

*I want those letters!*

(casablancalover then draws back, and pulls a small derringer from her purse)

*Give them to me.*

Now, whatwouldcagneydo?

Well, for sure, he wouldn't say, "Go ahead and shoot. You?ll be doing me a favor."

My Jimmy would most likely hunch up his shoulders, flick the cigarette at her, take away her gun and say, "You listen to me, sister ......."

--Gus Cerini

I forgot to add Audrey Hepburn's cigarette holder she used in the party scene in her apartment in Breakfast at Tiffany's. Also the cigarette case James Stewart used on Rope. So many, not enough time!

I was pleased to see that a two-piece (jacket and trousers) crewman's uniform from FORBIDDEN PLANET just sold at a Profiles in History auction for $16,000. Since I own a three-piece uniform from the film, in substantially the same condition, it's nice to know that my original investment of $150 (in 1977) has appreciated at least 10,700% since then.

Just read through the thread and am thinking of changing my order. I was going to say:

An interocitor (but already assembled--I'm all thumbs)

but I think maybe I'd be happy with a set of resort/casual clothes from Mr. Hulot's Holiday or maybe Playtime. I can't recall, saw them so long ago. There was a jaunty little soft hat like a sailor's hat but folded just so.

Off the top of my head: The portrait of Hedy Lamarr from the movie I Take This Woman or anything Hedy even so much as breathed on!

Anything that came in contact with Ginger Rogers.

Ok to be more specific: I'd love to have Jimmy Stewart's hat he wore in soooo many of his westerns. The Shall we Dance dress that Deborah Kerr wore in The King & I.

The snow globe from Heidi with Shirley Temple.

One of Rhett Butler's canes....

This discussion reminded me that I have bought items as gifts that appear as movie props. About 8 years ago, I found a snow globe with just a small winter log house and a pine tree. My oldest son received it, he recognized it as the snow globe from *Citizen Kane* - and asked, "What? No Sled?!" Ha-ha!