Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie clothes do you want?

I made myself want to go watch a Fred and Ginger movie.... I finally saw Roberta, and I am so impressed with Fred/Ginger. While Irene Dunne and Randolph Scott are so dreadfully serious, F/G are just having the best time and it's much more fun to watch them kick up their heels!

Hi Jack--I agree-that Ginger was one smart dresser! I'm not one to go dancing anywhere--(even my right foot is a leftie when it comes to dancing) but I love these gowns! ( I think the ruffled one is my favorite) Wouldn't it be fun if this was how I could dress all the time!! I can just see myself walking through Walmart twirling around just so I can make the bottom of the dress flair out. My daughter loves to do that anytime she gets dressed up! Too cute. (I STILL love to do that too, though I am way past the age where anyone else would consider it "cute") :-)

Hey, Ro! I can just see you in your twirly dress at Chuck E Cheese! I'll be there in my stunning black satin number and we can play ski ball with elegance and style.....

I would love to be able to wear clothes like that all the time, too. Or for that matter I would just like to have one place to wear a gown like that. Maybe to the PTO? or my daughter's school picnic?

*The Women* always cracks me up, you know, in the fashion show- they show a picnic and all the models are wearing these dresses with big puffy skirts and big puffy sleeves and Munchkin hats?!?

I can just see you in your twirly dress at Chuck E Cheese! I'll be there in my stunning black satin number and we can play ski ball with elegance and style.....

I usually avoid that place like the plague if at all possible!! But if you're gonna be there, I will make an exception!! :-)

PS--the picnics around our house are slightly less formal--Munchkin hats are entirely optional!

Speaking of the Munchkins--I watched the Wizard of Oz the other night with the short person. We were cracking up over their "flowered-toe" shoes!! The very height of fashion for the sophisticated Munchkin, I am sure! After all, accessories are everything! :-)

I's like those nifty trunks worn by the body builders in ATHENA. I'd also like to wear them while enjoying the nice subsidized life depicted in the film...sleeping late, pumping iron, eating wonderful natural food prepared by a family of beautiful ladies...enjoying life...I guess that's more than just the clothes...

I just watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith (How I adore that gorgeous Carole Lombard!), and discovered the really nice gowns designed for her by Irene. They were so cute; but then again, I am a sucker for polka dots!! I really loved all the gowns worn by Miss Lombard. I'm trying to remember what other movies Irene designed for...anyone know??

> {quote:title=harlowcutie11 wrote:}{quote}

> I just watched Mr. and Mrs. Smith (How I adore that gorgeous Carole Lombard!), and discovered the really nice gowns designed for her by Irene. They were so cute; but then again, I am a sucker for polka dots!! I really loved all the gowns worn by Miss Lombard. I'm trying to remember what other movies Irene designed for...anyone know??

She was very prolific, designing for glamorous movies like *Flying Down to Rio*,

*The Palm Beach Story* (I love the black lace gown Claudette wears) and *Midnight*.

Here's her credit listing at IMDb.com:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0409898/

The Palm Beach Story - Claudette has trouble with a zipper

ColbertZipper.JPG

Palm Beach Story is funny, a classic with great clothes. The screenplay by Preston Sturges is first rate. I love costumes from How to Marry a Millionaire, all of Garbo's costume dramas (Camille, Queen Christina, Mata Hari, Anna Karenina) and her silent classic Flesh and the Devil, Gene Tierney's greats (Laura, Leave Her to Heaven, Dragonwyck, Razor's Edge, Ghost and Mrs. Muir), Merle Oberon in Wuthering Heights, Vivian Leigh in GWTW, Ann Harding in When Ladies Meet, Audrey Hepburn in everything, Costumes from Gigi, to name a few off the top of my head. Lucille Ball is gorgeous in Du Barry. Ball should have been a bigger star in her film days. She had talent, looks and style. My favorite costume from last night was the long pink dress, my husband commented on it. I wish people dressed up more today. We could use some glamor these days. : (

Hi Annie! You listed some beauties. I loved the little white fur-trimmed capelet and **** that Merle Oberon wore in Wuthering Heights.

I wish the fashions were more formal like then, too. I have a closet full of clothes that are

mostly good for cocktail parties! 70 years ago, women would have worn them to the market.

Well, in Beverly Hills. lol

All of Grace Kelly's wardrobe from "Rear Window, including her peignoir, and her Mark Cross overnight case too. And all her clothes from "High Society". And her clothes from "To Catch A Thief".

All of Norma Shearer's clothes.

ETA-And all of Joan Leslie's wardrobe from "The Sky's The Limit". Some of the most attractive war-time clothes I've seen (I don't care for too many of the women's clothes, or hairstyles, from that era). Joan's were pretty and not too "hard-edged", but not big and ruffly either like so many.

Message was edited by: daddysprimadonna

Goddess: My NYC Mom, always well dressed, says the only place you can dress up these days is the opera, ballet or theater. We went to see Hairspray on Broadway. It was a 25/75 mix, most folks dressed up and some wearing jeans. My daughter borrowed an 60s vintage mink jacket from Mom had huge bead buttons, wore hair up in bow, long velvet dress, looked like a child star, like Margaret O'Brien. All the gay men stopped and asked if she was an actress...her favorite character in the play was the one she called "He Mom" the fabulous Mother role played by Harvey F. back then, and the great Divine in the original movie. I have not seen the remake. I am glad we dressed up and bucked the trend. I feel it is out of courtesy for the actors and a lot of fun too.

Another movie that has great clothes is The Women. I like the way they each have their own style and Taylor's wardrobe in Butterfield 8.

My daughter has that Audrey gazing in Tiffany window poster...Hepburn attributed her life long thin frame to being a dancer first and having malnutrition during WWII. For years she did not have enough to eat, was raised by a single Mom when Dad left the family. The book I read says she never dieted or exercised once she came to Hollywood, lucky gal! I cannot believe Truman Capote thought she was wrong for the part! He was way wrong about that.

I read somewhere that while on the ship coming from Europe to the US, Audrey actually put on some weight, due to all the food she ate there, after having been starved. She went on a diet of steak tartar when she got to Hollywood in order to lose the weight (I wouldn't think it could have been very much, but apparently it was too much for the cameras).

I'd also love to have Norma Sherarer's clothes, both her movie wardrobes (but where would I wear the Marie Antoinette gowns?) and her personal wardrobe. She was one of the best-dressed women in Hollywood, or anywhere else (she never succumbed to movie-star overkill, which was the enemy of chic), and she had a fabulous jewel collection. I have good copies of four of her rings, including the padparadscha sapphire she wore in "The Women".

My favorite gown from "The Women" was Paulette Goddard's sleek one-shoulder number.... unfortunately, someone is almost always standing in front of her during the course of the movie.....so I didn't get to see enough of it....

Photobucket

While THe Benny Goodman Story didn't have all that much going for it besides the music, I'll have to say I would have loved the wardrobe that Donna Reed wore in the film. It seemed more appropriate for the 1950's instead of the 1930's, but the gowns were beautiful and she looked great in them.

> {quote:title=helenbaby wrote:}{quote}

> While THe Benny Goodman Story didn't have all that much going for it besides the music, I'll have to say I would have loved the wardrobe that Donna Reed wore in the film. It seemed more appropriate for the 1950's instead of the 1930's, but the gowns were beautiful and she looked great in them.

Its the same for *The Glenn Miller Story*, produced around the same time. The reason has to do with Hollywood sensibilities at the time, and those slick Publicity/Marketing types. The producers wanted to work the image of this music as current, to appeal to all those Parents of us baby boomers. While we know its the thirties, the Depression is hardly given any recognition at all, and the storylines had little to do with reality of the title characters. It was all about selling the vinyl (records), and I'm sure the Glenn Miller people and the Benny Goodman people were happy with the result on record sales.

When *The Glenn Miller Story* was released, there was free tickets given to anyone named Glenn Miller who came to the theater for the opening. In Minneapolis, my dad and mom saw the movie for free! Guess my Dad's name ;-) !