Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

Wish List of Interviewees

Larry, that's great that you know Elaine Stewart! I'll never forget that scene of her standing at the top of the staircase in "The Bad and the Beautiful," one of my all time favorite movies.

And thanks for filling us in on the status of some of the Hollywood legends that are still with us. And I had no idea that Richard Widmark was not doing too well. I had heard that he was in good health. And I can't believe that Anita Page is still going strong at 95!

In this past weeks edition of "Parade" magazine, someone wrote in asking about June Allyson, and her husband said that she's "been under the weather lately," and that she is now 87, so she's another one that may not be with us too much longer. I had the pleasure of meeting her once, and she was a total delight. She was just as friendly and bubbly as she was on screen.

Anyhow, Larry if you do see Elaine Stewart when you go to L.A., please give her our best wishes! And if she's computer savvy, ask her to pop in say hello to us here.

Hi Joe,

I think everybody remembers that scene in "The Bad and the Beautiful"; she was a nasty piece of business.

As also she was in "Brigadoon" as a selfish **** at the end of the movie.

And, it didn't help that she was beheaded in "Young Bess"!!!

In fact, a funny story: she always told her children when they were young that it really hurt having her head cut off and that she always took it off when she went to bed!!!!! I always told her that she was a cruel mother, indeed.....

I don't think she is computer savvy because we always talk on the phone even though I've told her about E-Mail. But, I will say hello to her from you....

Larry

I second the motion on Joan Leslie. She has always been a great favorite of mine.

> While watching "Sergeant York" today on TCM I was

> reminded of the sprightly and sweet Joan

> Leslie, who I'm happy to say is still with us and

> also making personal appearances.

> It would be ideal to have her sit beside Robert

> Osborne for an interview especially since she

> co-starred with Gary Cooper, James Cagney, Ida

> Lupino, Humphrey Bogart, Henry Fonda, Fred Astaire,

> Jane Russell, Randolph Scott, etc, and she should

> have some wonderful recollections to share.

> I believe she is 80 now, so please make the

> arrangements for this interview...before its too

> late.

>

> Mongo

My list of interviewees would look like this:

1. Christopher Lee-he could talk about his days at Hammer, the relationship he had with Peter Cushing (If you think about it, the bond still exists, what with Cushing being in the first Star Wars and Lee in the 2 most recent films), his re-emergence in today's films and so on.

2. Charlton Heston-Discussing Ben Hur, playing Moses, etc.

3. Ernest Borgnine- Robert Osborne can ask "What was it like getting beat up by a one-armed Spencer Tracy?"

4. Sydney Poitier- because "In the Heat of the Night" is one of my all-time favorites.

5. Stanley Kramer (Is he still with us?)

Lee Marvin would have been good as well. BTW, am I the only one that sees Lee Marvin's face whenever there's a Jim Jarmusch interview? Their voices are almost EXACT (to me at least).

6. Anne Bancroft- I'm curious how she dealt with playing Annie Sullivan, which if you think about it was a pretty physical role.

Those are mine. I'm sure some will disagree.

John, most of us would love to see an interview with the fabulous Anne Bancroft. Hopefully one day soon.

Sadly, prominent director Stanley Kramer is no longer with us. He died at age 87 in 2001.

Charlton Heston at age 80 is in remission from prostate cancer and is showing symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

Mongo

Funny that you bring up Jim Jarmusch & Lee Marvin. He and some of his actors pals have a "club" called Sons of Lee Marvin. I don't know too much about it though. Here's a quote I found on a Sons of Lee Marvin website

"I'm not at liberty to divulge information about the organization, other than to tell you that it does exist. I can identify three other members of the organization: Tom Waits, John Lurie, and Richard Bose. You have to have a facial structure such that you could be related to, or be a son of, Lee Marvin. There are no women, obviously, in the organization. We have communiques and secret meetings. Other than that, I can't talk about it."

Jim Jarmusch: Interview: Vol. XIX - No. 11, 1989: pp 146-150

Hello Everybody,

I just read in the paper this morning that Zsa Zsa Gabor and her husband are suing ZZ's daughter, Francesca Hilton for stealing several million dollars of ZZ's money.

Poor Zsa Zsa, she's partially paralized now and apparently semi senile. And having a mercenary husband and daughter on top of all that -- sounds like Martha Raye and her troubles at the end!!!

It also gave ZZ's age as 88; if that doesn't kill her, nothing will!!!!

Guess Osborne better give up on interviewing Zsa Zsa.

Larry

Larry, what a sad story, but somehow that is not surprising. Many, many years ago I watched some show about Hollywood mothers and their daughters and both Zsa Zsa and Francesca Hilton were featured. (LOL, it might have been The Mike Douglas Show.) Anyway I do not remember who else was on, but I vividly recall how bitchy Zsa Zsa's daughter was to her Mother on tv, making faces and snapping at her. I felt sorry for Zsa Zsa.

Hi Richard,

I only saw Zsa Zsa once: filming "Lovely To Look At" in 51/52(?) and she was!!!! Absolutely beautiful and funny as she called out "Ah! Champagne!!!!" as a bottle is opened in the movie; "Vee shood all bass in it, dahlink!!!"

When I saw her daughter about 5 years later, I couldn't believe it was ZZ's offspring - homely and fat and badly mannered.

I certainly believe that she was abusive to her mother, as you say. I heard that Conrad Hilton disowned her and didn't believe Francesca was his; and George Sanders would have nothing to do with her.

Larry

I see the next Private Screenings is scheduled for October 11, with Sidney Lumet as the guest.

I just searched back a few pages/months since I did recall reading on this thread that he was rumored to be an upcoming guest, but that became almost depressing, with several rather recent requests from as recent as early 2005 hoping for future interviews with Anne Bancroft and Ruth Hussey among others.

Though it seems unlikely I still hope for Olivia DeHavilland, Joan Fontaine , Jennifer Jones, Cyd Charisse and Luise Rainer.

With all the technology today, an actor need NOT have to travel to Osborne but arrange for the interview same way Ed Morror did in the 50's: A camera set up at actor's home and Osborn talking to THAT him or her.

Bringing this thread to the top, by request, hoping that Joan Leslie is on TCM's list of possible interviewees and/or Private Screenings guests.

Thanks, path!

We of the Fred Astaire Yahoo list were talking about Joan Leslie yesterday and today. I wrote her recently and described her response on the list. Another member replied:

"I am glad Joan is being told how much she is loved and appreciated. I wish

someone from Turner Classic Movies would contact her and ask her to

share, on camera, some of her memories of Fred Astaire, Gary Cooper,

James Cagney, and some of the other actors, directors etc. she

worked with. And TCM could do a Joan Leslie Night, with commentary

by Joan Leslie. And Joan could share her thoughts and feelings about

her career and about Hollywood. Does anyone have any contacts at

Turner Classic Movies? Or does anyone know anyone willing to

interview Joan? I understand that Joan recently became 80 years

young."