Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Gallery

Oh, I see that now, Gagman . . . that they are the original colors. But it is Great Coloring anyways !

And I love these 2 that you've just posted. And I love the colors in these too. The cheeks always have that 'rosy' look to them. Is that Adolph Manjou with shaving soap on his face ? It looks like him. He always has those 'sad' eyes.

Thanks for Posting these, Gagman.

ugaarate,

Yes THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE boasted an All Star Cast, with Florence Vidor, Monte Blue, Marie Prevost, Adolphe Menjou, Creighton Hale, and I forget who the other girl was. Great movie! Used to be on DVD from Image.

I just posted a Rudy in the other Thread for Bronxi!

PHOTO_14451305_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Mary Miles Minter-Anne Of Green Gables-1919*

JettaGoudal1925__SALOME_OF_THE_TENEMENTS

*Jetta Goudal-SALOME OF THE TENEMENTS (1925)*

Yes, Ugaarte, *Tom Moore* is the boy sitting on the log, and the officer with the fake moustache, and the curly headed fellow being looked over by the cops. He's one of my silent screen crushes. I should be posting him in the other thread!

The July 1925 Issue of Photoplay had the now completely forgotten May Allison pegged as one of the Top 10 most beautiful actresses of the screen. Undoubtedly those very large, expressively clear eyes had a allot to do with the selection. Pretty lady.

PHOTO_15466622_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*May Allison-"Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue"*

Don't remember if I had posted this before. From the oldest surviving Two-Color Technicolor production of *TOLL OF THE SEA (1922)* which Starred a very young Anna May Wong.

PHOTO_14618683_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Wendy, Rickey,

Here is a duo-color Two Page spread for Tod Browning's famously lost *LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT (1927).*

PHOTO_15447800_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Rickey,

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT was not lost until after the 1965 MGM Vault fire. Which also destroyed the only surviving 35 Millimeter materials of TOWER OF LIES, and THE ROAD TO MANDALAY. Along with may other Metro Goldwyn, and MGM Silents. Some footage from 9.5 millimeter has since turned up of MANDALAY, but obviously because of the print reduction it is not great quality. A reel or two of WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS is still missing too. But there were missing reels to THE UNKNOWN, and LAUGH CLOWN LAUGH, and that didn't prevent the films from being shown on TCM. Really in the this case the story is not affected much by the absent footage. So it's disappointing for that reason that WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS hasn't emerged from the vault, and been shown on TCM.

I caught Laugh Clown Laugh not long ago wen TCM did a day of Lon Chaney and enjoyed it. The story seemed to flow very well for me.

I had read about the vault fire of 1965 (tragic loss), but had not heard anything about the 9.5 footage of Mandalay, appreciate that information. If I remember correctly, while we were using 8mm and Super 8 for home movie use, the British had 9.5mm as there standard for home use. Slightly larger than 8mm, but like you said, still very small.

I don't know why in the world TCM hasn't shown While The City Sleeps either.

Liked the Gloria Swanson poster, the yellow background looked great and the shadows of the pointing fingers had a very errie or sinister look to it.

Not very nice comments. Err, Don't know why you don't like the Una and Harold. The photo was done by Bob Fells, not by me. I think it looks great. Your monitor settings must be way off. Or maybe you have had one to many Milkshakes? Vilma's eyes don't glow on my monitor either. In the first place you can only see one eye, and just barely.

Wendy,

I don't know what that green glob is with the yellow outline. It covers up most of her parasol. *NELLIE* is one of the films that turned up in that Russian Archive last year. Although, I don't know how complete the surviving print is?

Never heard of this one. Starrs Olive Borden.

PHOTO_15447606_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

On the very bottom credited as Editorial Director, June Mathis. She's written about extensively in the book "Dark Lover : The Life And Death Of Rudolph Valentino. Valentino had great respect and admiration for her writing abilities and would try to get her to write scripts for him. She's also the one that provided the crypt for his body.

Gagman . . .

I'm having an Eyeful of 'Candy' viewing all these luscious Lobby Cards ! . . . I just think they are Fantastic and Colorful. I wish theatres would pass them out today. But these that you've posted so far, are CLASSICS !

'Salome of the Tenement' looks close to a sketch, with Awesome painting. And 'Anne of Green Gables' (1919) is a Classic One, all it's own. It's just a little after the 'Turn of the Century' and before the 'Bobbed' haircuts. These Ladies look Endearing in their long curls, hair bows and soft pastel dresses. Just Lovely !

And I agree with you, Gagman. May Allison is very Beautiful and Sweet looking all dressed in Pink with large blue eyes. Little wonder why she was pegged by Photoplay Magazine as one of the top 10 beautiful actresses on screen.

And I love the Photo of Anna May Wong. She looks Great ! And she was Great, too, in 'Piccadilly'.

That's a great spread advertising 'London After Midnight' with Lon Chaney. Great Color Scheme.

And that's a Great Shot of Harold Lloyd and Una Merkel, back to back. I Love their Wholesome Smiles !

And once again, Awesome Lobby Cards. And that Portrait of Olive Thomas is Exceptionall Lovely . . . with her chestnut brown hair, her lacy dress and bonnet and soft brown eyes ! That soft Pink and light melon color truly becomes her.

Thanks again, Gagman, for sharing !