Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Gallery

whistlingypsy

Wendy,

Let's see if you know who the young man is in this photo? It is taken from a 1917 William S. Hart Western. That's Bill of course in the Preacher garb. But can you name the young actor with the abundance of hair standing opposite him in this still. Any ideas?

BillHartapostle_edited1.jpg

Wendy,

Yes believe it or not, that is John Gilbert. For some reason I thought people might struggle with the photo. Man, he sure was a skinny kid at that time. Did you look at the SPANISH DANCER thread. There are six still captures from the new restoration. Looks superb. Also great news that the Colleen Moore bio is finally on sale as well.

No I missed those threads - I get hardly any notifications anymore, if I put a new thread on my watched list, others disappear, and I don't know it until suddenly it is months later and someone tells me. I had the silent forum labeled so as to let me know if a new thread was started, but obviously it's not working any more. Don't tell me to go and check with the mods, I've sent them messages about it for at least two years and have never heard back one thing about it. Damn website!

I would probably never have known it was John Gilbert if I hadn't seen him in Hell's Hinges and the Mary Pickford film, is it M'liss? from about that time period. He was so scrawny, you'd never know it was him, but so expressive, even then. I love the picture, the look on his face is so full of meaning.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 15, 2012 1:26 PM

Hi Everybody ...

Here I am again ... I'm NOT having easy access to this computer like I'd like to have but just know that I AM looking over these Great Photos and Pics of everyones !

And, of course, Clara Bow is looking absolutely 'Patriotic' in her Uniform in 'Wings'. As does Ronald Coleman and 'The Geste Boys' ... in their Uniforms.

And that's a Great View of 'Pirate Life' @ Sea with Harold Lloyd & his female Pirate ... And how Lovely Jobyna looks, all in Lacey White, being carried by a 'disbelieving' Harold Lloyd.

And as always ... Awesome Photos Gagman !

A couple stills from *PATHS TO PARADISE (1925)* with Raymond Griffith and Betty Compson. Griffith is a nifty sharper, self styled Con Artist, and Betty is his devious female accomplice.

PHOTO_16103589_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Now, Now, Not Nice!"*

PHOTO_16055435_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Plotting Their Next Move!"*

Wendy,

Not exactly. HANDS UP! (1926), and PATHS TO PARADISE (1925) are easily Raymond Griffith's two best known Silent comedies today. Both were available for a short time from Reel Classic DVD on DVD-R in very nice print transfers. I was able to get copies before Paramount had the releases pulled off the market. PATHS TO PARADISE is missing the final reel, and it is highly sought after by historians.

I was also able to get LADY OF THE PAVEMENTS with William Boyd, Lupe Velez, and Jetta Goudal from Reel Classic DVD before it was removed as well. Really a terrific movie. More recently, I got a recording of a much better print of LADY OF THE PAVEMENTS from an Italian Network broadcast. But the title-cards are not in English. So I'm glad I have the other version. Even if it is sort of dark.

Wendy,

I'll post a couple scenes from both Raymond Griffith films on TCM-CFU.

Did you see the clips from LILAC TIME that I posted there? Also added another clip from BEAU GESTE a few weeks ago. Also the opening 10 minutes of Valentino's MOUSIER BEAUCAIRE.

Here's more H L.

PHOTO_16309253_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"The Dutiful Sailor And His Widdle Pal"*

Wendy,

As I mentioned in another thread LILAC TIME was screened about a week in a half ago in LA in 35 Millimeter. A print from the Library of Congress. I wish this would find it's way to TCM. The film is rarely shown anywhere in 35 Millimeter. Most screenings are of 16 Millimeter reduction prints. Also the new Colleen Moore Bio by Jeff Codori's is now available for purchase.

Here are the links to the LILAC TIME clips. Not sure they will work though. Just go to the Colleen Moore group over there and the videos are linked to it.

http://fan.tcm.com/_Colleen-Moore-Lilac-Time-1928-Main-Title-and-Opening-sequences/video/1586769/66470.html

http://fan.tcm.com/_Colleen-Moore-Lilac-Time-1928-A-New-Arrival/video/1587285/66470.html

http://fan.tcm.com/_Colleen-Moore-Jeannine-My-Queen-Of-Mischief-Time/video/1588907/66470.html

Wendy,

I wish I had a better print of LILAC TIME. Those clips have been up for 9 months. I never scored the complete film. Just the 3 clips. Though I still have the file in the computer. Some footage is clearly missing since LILAC TIME was originally 11 reels. Apparently only 7 or at most 8 reels still exist. Given the short 80 minute running time of the recent screening in L A two weeks ago. Maybe other archives have additional reels someplace?

Wendy,

Do you know who released the version? Was it 16 millimeter? How long ago was this? It looks like only 8 or at most 9 reels of footage seem to survive of the original 11. So that would be well over 20 minutes of footage that is missing from the picture.

However, I was told in 2008 that some additonal aireal battle scenes were discovered in a foreign release print. What has happened with any of that I do not know?

LilacTime-Resized.jpg?t=1242065960

JeannineIsReunitedwithPhilipcopy.jpg

Well, I know that Blackhawk had both BROKEN HEARTS OF BROADWAY and ELLA CINDERS. I am not so sure about LILAC TIME. I don't exactly recall it being in their cateloge. I'm not saying that it was not there, I just do not remember. I'll ask around. It might have been issued by Thunderbird Films, if not Blackhawk?

Did there seem to be gaps in the story-line?

Yes, I remember that I did not like it as much as I thought I was going to, and that may just be the reason.... it seemed like the ending was like a different movie and that it just didn't make sense. I think, though I may be wrong, that it goes from braod comedy like the scene where Jeanie gets stuck in the airplane to real drama, and I just couldn't grasp the change, but maybe it's because the transition was missing.

A couple of vintage Lobby-cards for ADORATION (1928) with Billie Dove and Antonio Moreno. You know Moreno is not really all that well remembered today. It's obvious that he was a huge Silent Star. Just look at the long list of ladies that He was the leading man to! Is there anyone that he did not work with?

PHOTO_16339683_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16339685_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Wendy,

I assume that ADORATION is probably a lost film. Here are some foreign posters and ad's for the movie. Some of Billie's First National Silents do survive however. So maybe a couple of them might surface on TCM at some point. I'm thinking that THE TENDER HOUR, SENSATION SEEKERS, or THE YELLOW LILY might have a chance of receiving a TCM premiere eventually. However, I'm not real sure why there does not appear to be any Silent Sunday's in June? Unless, the whole schedule was not yet programmed?

PHOTO_16349497_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16349499_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16349495_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

A selection of four lovely color transfers purloined from Bob Fell's Old Hollywood In Color.com. With some minor modifications on my part.

PHOTO_16356411_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Mary Philbin and Edward Carwe*

PHOTO_16356615_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Erich Von Stroheim working on script in 1922 at Universal*

PHOTO_16356417_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*John Barrymore and Louis Wolheim*

PHOTO_16356415_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"That's About Vedit"*