Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Gallery

whistlingypsy

Impressive dress on Pola Negri, it looks like real feathers. After watching "La Boheme" for the first time and loving it, I couldn't help but add two photos. Gilbert and Gish were great together. Did Mr. Osborne say she starved herself to appear sick in the film or she really got sick and couldn't eat or drink for three days? My tv was on low and I couldn't hear correctly.

LB3.jpg

LB1.jpg

Joanna,

:( LA BOHEME is on DVD-R from Warner Archive. Though the film needs re-mastering badly. Print Transfer used probably pre-dates 1970, and some of the title-cards zip by with no chance to read them at all. Much of the film moves at the wrong frame-rate. Far to swift. A restored version was promised, but Warner's released the same old thing TCM had been running for years. The music score has it's moments, but overall it could use a better one. Piano with some limited violin. Who the musicians and composer where they did not specify?

:Portions of LA BOHEME look quite good. It's a little on the soft side much of the time. Some of the low lighting stuff was probably meant for tinting effects. This transfer is all Monochrome. Opening credits have some decomposition. There are short gaps in the story where footage is obviously missing. Renee Adoree looks so very pretty as Musette.I bawled like a baby the first time I saw the ending of this movie. I was terribly moved as Mimi tries to get back to Rudolfe with her dying breaths. Yes, you heard correctly. Lillian went without bread and water for three days before filming the sequence.

PHOTO_13018162_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*"Mimi's Last Moments"*

PHOTO_10578647_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Thanks for the info Jeff! It was annoying not being able to see a few title cards but I imagined some footage was missing. You're right, everyone looked great. It was a nice film with its funny moments and sad ones too. Do you know if the "The Beloved Rogue" was filmed in the same location? The street looked similar as well as the building. I'll have to check it on imdb. Great photos!

Johanna,

Unless I am mistaken LA BOHEME was completed before THE BIG PARADE was finished, but not released until the spring of 1926. I'll need to check on that. Since LA BOHEME is an MGM movie and THE BELOVED ROGUE United Artists, I doubt that any of the same sets were used. Plus there is a good year and half worth of difference in production.

The title-card probably is for some reason titles were frequently not shot on the same caliber of film-stock as the rest of the movie was. Later it was discoved this decomposed much quicker. So I assume that damaged frames were cut when the Saftety transfer of LA BOHEME was pieced togther. Possibly as far back as the late 40's or early 50's.

Glad you like the photos. Work I did sometime ago. Though I think I have about 6 or 7 more stills from the movie I colorized.

Hi MetsFan . . .

I just Love those 2 Portraits of Lillian Gish and John Gilbert. The portraits look absolutely Enriching in that Sepia coloring. And Gish & Gilbert make such a Romantic-looking Couple.

Hi Gagman . . .

Lilliam Gish is alway so Beautiful in all her movies. She has such Expressive Eyes. I've never seen 'La Boheme' but would love to. The Colors in the pictures you've posted are just Lovely. It would be wonderful if I could see this silent in the same coloring . . .

So 'Method Acting' was practiced as far back as the 1920's too, huh ? I'm referring to Lillian's Gish going without food & water for 3 days, to play her part effectively.

And I'm in agreement with JackFavell, regarding that Lobby Card of Wanderer of the Wasteland. The subtle coloring is very appealing. This Lobby Card appears a little larger than the ones you've posted before. If you hadn't mentioned that it was a Lobby Card, I would have mistakened it for a Poster.

And Pola Negri .... What a Striking Beauty she is, Especially in that Blue Turban and dark curl . . . Also Pola in her 'Sneering Smile', as you put it ...and her stance by the chimney, decked in what looks like velvety feathers. A very 'Smokey' looking Pola Negri !

And Great Picture of Esther Ralston and Clara Bow in 'Children of Divorce'. I remember when I saw this movie @ the theatre, when they had 'Silent Movies' for the summer. Wonderful Movie.

Thanks for posting your Beatifully colored pictures, Gagman.

ugaarte,

A whole bunch of amazing lobby-cards in the next couple of posts.

PHOTO_16573717_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Mary Pickford in Rosita (1923)-Directed by Ernst Lubitsch*

PHOTO_16573899_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Janet Gaynor-THE MIDNIGHT KISS (1926)*

PHOTO_16580389_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Marion Davies- TILLIE THE TOILER (1927)*

PHOTO_16573601_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Richard Barthelmess and Betty Compson in SCARLET SEAS (1928)*

A Cornucopia of spectacular Dolores Del Rio cards!

PHOTO_16573597_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16579927_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

DoloresDelRioRevengePA.jpg

PHOTO_16579929_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16579935_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16573599_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16579931_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16579937_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16579933_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16601611_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Marion Davies-1920*

PHOTO_16640651_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Norma Shearer in costume for SLAVE OF FASHION (1925)*

Hi Gagman . . .

Those are Lovely Portraits of both Marion Davies and Norma Shearer.

I love those 'Autumn' colors in Norma Shearer's Dress.

And Gagman, Thank you so much for posting those Lobby Cards . . .

For the Lack of a Better Word . . . They are 'SPECTACULAR' ! . . .

The Lobby Cards with Dolores Del Rio is so Vibrant and Colorful. She has such a 'Striking' pose in 'Revenge'.

And I just love that Rich, Yellowish undertone with Mary Pickford strumming her guitar in 'Rosita' (1923) . . .

And doesn't Janet Gaynor look her usual, animated self all 'strewn' around in 'The Midnight Kiss' (1926).

Just SUPER & AWESOME Lobby Cards, Gagman. Once again, Thank you for Posting them !

Johanna,

*RAMONA* is being restored by the LOC. A forgotten Nitrate print was found in Czechoslovakia at Prague about 12 years ago. It wasn't until this past December though before the Library Of Congress finally got around to this project. Took that long to receive a grant apparently? Even after the print was uncovered, *RAMONA* is still mostly referenced as a lost film. It was decades. Now we know differently. This should be considered a major, major, rediscovery.

I'm hoping that the picture might be offered by Kino, Flicker Alley, or someone on DVD or Blu-ray eventually. Basically, it has been unseen since first released. *RAMONA* was a blockbuster movie in 1928. I suppose that it's possible that TCM could run it if they have another Library of Congress night or something like last year, when they debuted allot of very rare stuff. I would be thrilled.

*WOLF SONG* survives though it may not be complete. It was released in both a regular Silent, and goat-gland partial talkie, The silent version is that one that remains.

Lubitsch *ROSITA* is still around, though may be missing a reel or so. I've seen *TILLIE THE TOILER.* A delightful picture. Not sure what the survival status is of either *THE MIDNIGHT KISS,* or *SCARLET SEAS.* I'll try to find out.

Hi Gagman . . .

I have to tell you, I love that Colorful Portrait of Lillian Gish and John Gilbert in 'La Boheme' (1926). I say this because I had just finished watching the Silent on Youtube, this weekend, as I had never seen it before. And the reason why I watched it was because of Yours and Metsfan's Posting those other Pics of Lillian Gish & John Gilbert just a few posts back (4/24) . . . .

It was such a Beautiful and Poignant Story and Lillian gave a Glorious performance @ the end, struggling to get to 'Rudolphe' . . .

And your other portraits, with Gary Cooper and Lupe Velez in 'Wolf Song' (1929) is done is beautifully. I love Gary Cooper's rugged looking shirt. You can almost feel the 'leathery' hide.

And also the Rich Colors in the 'Jazz Age Angels'.

Thanks for posting Gagman.

ugaarte,

As always, thanks for the feeback on my photos, cards and posters. Another thread you might be interested in is the Vintage Silent Film Artwork one. Posted a number of things in there, that hasn't been seen in either the Gallery or Crushes section.

This I believe is Wallace Reid and Gloria Swanson. Though it almost looks more like Edward Everett Horton!

PHOTO_16679389_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Reid and Swanson-"Don't Hoist Your Wife!"*

ColmanAndBankySeductiveDarkAngelcopy.jpg

*Vilma Banky And Ronald Colman in THE DARK ANGEL (1925)*

And another still from *WOLF SONG*

PHOTO_16673463_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Coop And Lupe- "STARE DOWN"*

Amusing Lobby-cards for a lost 1928 MGM Silent. It's very Interesting that Charles Chaplin himself considered Conklin to be the Funniest Man in The World!

1928BRINGINGUPFATHERJackConwaycard1copy.

*"You Bounder! You Cad! You Hired that, that Flapper Maid!"*

BRINGINGUPFATHERLobby2copy.jpg

*"Well, whut was I to do? Dare all Flappers dese days!"*

Johanna,

Apparently, FOUR WALLS is lost. However, another film with Gilbert and Crawford, as well as Betty Compson, TWELVE MILES OUT (1927) was restored by the LOC about 5 or 6 years ago. For many years it was believed that only about 45 minutes of this film remained from a 9.5 Millimeter reductiion transfer. Fortunately, a full-length 35 Millimeter Nitrate print turned up. I think it was discovered mislabled in the MGM vault?

As far as I know REVENGE is lost, but we should be thankful that we have RAMONA, and also Raoul Walsh THE RED DANCE with Del Rio and Charles Farrell. I actually have a nice copy of this film. I've had it for a couple years.

I agree with you, Metsfan . . . Ronald Coleman took my breath away when I saw this portrait of him, holding a demure Vilma Banky . . . He is positively very Handsome and 'suave' looking in his Uniform. I'm telling you, those mustaches really made a man back then appear 'daring and dapper' . . .

Thanks for posting this, Gagman . . .

And Gloria Swanson appears somewhat surprised being 'swept' up like that. But I don't think the gentleman holding her is Edward Everett Horton. It doesn't look like him. So it may very well be Wallace Reid, as you've suggested.

Oh . . . And what can I say ? . . . Those Lobby Cards are just 'Deliciously Delightful' . . .

And it's about 'Bringing Up Father' ? Is this the same one as that used to appear in the Comic Strips of the Sunday Paper ? I used to enjoy reading that so much, when I was a little girl. The only thing I remember NOT liking, when I was younger, was his wife always hitting him. I always felt so sorry for him. I've since acquired a book that I found @ an old book store, with all the comic strips of 'Bringing Up Father' since they first started printing them back in the 20's and even a little further back, I believe. It was just fascinating to look at . . . Especially 'Father's' SPATS !

Thanks Gagman !

Edited by: ugaarte on May 10, 2012 5:30 AM

ugaarte,

Yes, BRINGING UP FATHER is based on the Comic Strip. As ELLA CINDERS and TILLIE THE TOILER were both based on popular comic strips of the time as well.

A Lost Lewis Stone Silent of 1926.

PHOTO_16704039_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

Here is a card for ANNIE LAURIE (1927)

PHOTO_16694983_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

And a couple Lobby-cards for DIAMOND HANDCUFFS (1928) with Eleanor Boardman , and Lawrence Gray.

PHOTO_16694913_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16694915_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

PHOTO_16664665_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Agnes Ayres 1922 Portrait*

PHOTO_16702539_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Claire Windsor-1923*

PHOTO_16714517_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Betty Blythe-"Bound!"-from CHU CHIN CHOW (1923)*

Hi Gagman . . .

And as always, I admire your Lobby Cards. They are such a Treasure.

The one with Lillian Gish in 'Annie Laurie' looks very interesting and would love to see one day. I'm not able to pull it up on Youtube. Whenever I hear the name 'Annie Luurie', I always think of James Dunn singing it in, 'A Tree Grows in Brooklyn' (19445) . . .

And your 4 other posts are just Magnificently Colored. The one with Adolphe Menjou really stands out. And Betty Blythe appears 'helpless'. The hairstyle she is donning, seemed to be the 'style', in those days, sort of the 'ratty' look . . . between the long, curly tresses from the 'turn of the century' and the 'bobbed' cut in the 30's.

And I just love that Golden Brown coloring of the Beaded dress, Claire Winsor is wearing ... And her Large Hat. She seems to have a lot on her mind, though.

And such a Lovely portrait of Agnes Ayres. Such Classic Beauty.. Nowadays, the dark circle under the eyes Look is very much down played, with a lot of 'makeup concealer' on the market . . . but back then, it seemed to be the 'Norm' . . . giving the wearer a more 'tragic' or 'haunting' look. Or in the case of Pola Negri or Theda Barra, a very 'Dark and Exotic' appearance.

Awesome Posts, Gagman !