Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silent Film Gallery

I was going to mention the Mary Miles Minter, I really liked that one as well. She just gives me the creeps now, unfortunately.

I really like the Billie Dove one! What on earth DON'T you like about it?

I have a memory like a sieve, have you posted either of these yet?

Pola:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wendy,

The Billie Dove is better than I thought it was. As we get further down the cut of her dress, I can't really tell if that is Mesh or bare exposed flesh. With Billie it was often true exposed Flesh. But there seems to be a change of hue with the same shade of color, so there is probably a little bit of mesh there covering up her skin.

It was really the Bessie Love profile I was not so pleased with. The eye is one solid Brown color, with little or know reflection of the light. Lacks depth. I'm pretty picky.

Hey, check this out! Your in for a Growlin' Good Time, because He's Wild! Ha, Ha, Ha!

PHOTO_17294623_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*THE LION MAN (1919)*

Wendy,

Please note, the last Three are not Dolores Costello. They are impostor photos!

Here is one you will get a kick out of. If you know the name of this Doll please share the info. On GAOH there are numerous photos of various Silent Stars with the same Doll. Thanks.

PHOTO_17296365_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

"His First Date With Patty Poundcake" icon_lol.gif

I kept looking at those 3 wondering, and then meant to write something above them to say I wasn't sure they were her, but then once I posted I couldn't get back on the message board to correct my post. It seems like once I post something, I can't get back on again afterwards for about a half an hour.....so I gave up trying to edit my post.

All but number two seem to be Marie Prevost, and it was labeled as her:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wendy,

It's not just your computer. The board has been having allot of problems all weekend.

Thanks for all the photos. Some of these Marie's have not seen. Here is another lobby for Swanson in THE GREAT MOMENT. It's amazing how popular the Gypsy rolls must have been. You could almost include the Gypsy as a seperate category from the The Vamps, Flappers. and old fashioned country girl types.

By the way, the 3rd down in the Dolores batch is actually Esther Ralston.

PHOTO_17298681_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*THE GREAT MOMENT (1921)*

Wendy,

The only one I don't think is Marie is the Mack Sennett Bathing beauty photo. Her face is all wrong. Seems to be Louise Fazenda or somebody else?

*TARNISH (1924)* I think, is a big loss. Great cast, including Ronald Colman.

This one Starred Mrs Charles Farrell herself Virginia Valli. Though her name is not to be found on the card. It was probably on others for the picture though. The only one I have found so far.

1926THEFAMILYUPSTAIRSJohnG.Blystone.jpg

*Virginia Valli- "THE FAMILY UPSTAIRS" (1926)*

You know, that's hilarious, because when I first posted the three bottom photos in the Delores set, I thought the bottom one was Esther, but I never thought a thing about the other one. I see of course it is Esther. It's amazing what the brain will accept as one person when the tag is wrong.

Here are some more of Marie. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but most of the questionable ones I've included substantiate her swimsuit or piece of clothing from other photos in the group. Supposedly Prevost, Swanson and Haver were all at this same shoot on Three Arch Bay south of Laguna Beach in California in 1916. In the hat photo, the scene behind Marie is called Whale Island. I'm guessing these shots are from the filming of a short called *Sunshine*. The only other actresses in the picture is Peggy Pearce, a light haired beauty, and a woman named Cecile Evans, of whom I cannot find any photos.

Most of the other Sennett photos I've found are totally questionable to me. There are some that are so clearly her it makes me doubt the others, she's so distinctive. But when Marie is in profile, she looks quite different. Her nose turns up at the end. The studios were so careful about makeup correction, that it's impossible to tell, looking at her full face pics from later on. There are very few substantiated profile pics of Marie, but I included one in which she definitely has a turned up nose. Also her left and right profile are quite different.

In this one, she looks like her nose turns up, but in very few other full face shots do you get a glimpse of the curved side of her pert nose, in fact it sometimes even looks slightly elongated from the front, perhaps she wanted a more refined look and changed the shape through makeup?

Photobucket

I am far more picky about her photos because I know her looks better than Delores, but the Sennetts I just can't tell and in some early photos it's very hard with all the different dark haired bathing beauties shot from far away on the beach or they are too grainy to tell. I do know that there are dozens of photos tagged as Marie that are actually Mary Thurman, even the Sennett studios publicity department got the girls confused on occasion and labeled their own photos wrong. Most of these, no matter how far fetched it may seem, are actually Marie. In one she looks like Phyllis Haver, her hair is so light!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Wendy,

Great stuff. Thanks for all the terrific photos. I wonder why Marie has one rolled stocking and another that's full length? And for that matter why one swims with Stockings on to start with. Apparently, this thread only goes back so far. Same with the Silent Crushes. The earliest pages no longer seem to load anymore. So what ever was on them probably could be posted here again.The pages seem to be gone or you can't get to them.

Here is a video of a 1929 Picture Show Movie Annual. Recaping 1928, but there is some 1927 stuff in there too. Really a great piece. It was done by a guy named Aaron Who's made lots of videos liek this. Hard to believe it covers only the first 50 pages. Lots of dazzling material. If this doesn't work I will look up the Youtube link.

http://www.fan.tcm.com/_1929-Movie-Magazine-Annual/video/1759203/66470.html

I don't know but I've seen Marie in other photos with the same thing - one stocking up, one stocking down.... could it be Mack Sennett thought it was sexy? A little disarray in the clothing....

A perfect description of Marie:

Five foot two...

Eyes of blue...

But Oh! what those five foot could do...

Has anybody seen my gal?

Turned up nose...

*Turned down hose...*

Never had no other beaus...

Has anybody seen my gal?

Now if you run into

A five foot two

Covered with fur...

Diamond rings...

And all those things...

Betcha' life it isn't her...

But could she love...

Could she woo...

Could she, could she, could she coo?

Has anybody seen my gal?

Five foot two...

Eyes of blue...

But Oh! what those five foot could do...

Has anybody seen my gal?

Turned up nose...

*Turned down hose...*

Flapper, yes sir, one of those...

Has anybody seen my gal?

Now if you run into

A five foot two

Covered with fur...

Diamond rings...

And all those things...

Betcha' life it isn't her...

But could she love...

Could she woo...

Could she, could she, could she coo?

Has anybody seen my gal?

Hi Gagman . . .

Lot of Great Posts you have here !

First of all, thanks for that 'Harold Lloyd info'. And I Love that 'Jobyna in the Moon Glow'. I love that Special Effect of that circular lighting in the background.

And that Photo of Valentino with his 'Cat Eye' hypnotic stare goes so well with his holding a very Cute but Growling, baby leopard . . .

Ahhh ... and our Mabel Normand. She looks Fantastic with her long, brown, 'blown in the wind' look hair . . . Always loved her Eyes ! Love the Blue sweater, Gagman.

And what Awesome Lobby cards, Gagman, from a Silent Film . . . Super Classic !

And Dolores Costello appears so Lovely and Beautiful as a Bride, holding those Gorgeous White Roses. I Love her Embroidered and Beaded Headdress . . . Very Original ! SMILE, Dolores !

Ahhhh ... Yes ... TOR ! From the movie, 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' ... Directed by Ed Wood.

And Gagman, that's an interesting Advertisement for 'Nice People' 1922 . . . Great Display !

You did a great job with the Coloring on Billie Dove Photo. Love the Pink sequinned dress and gold metallic backdrop behind her . . . and such soft, brown eyes !

And Bessie Love looks 'All Natural' . . . and Lovely, without the heavy 'Grease Paint' and with her hair flowing freely. Love the White Embroidered top she's is wearing, too . . .

****JACK FAVELL***

I Love those Black & White Photos of Pola Negri . . . Even her dyed, blonde hair doesn't 'soften' the deep, dark 'Mystery' that surrounds her . . .

And Gagman . . . What a Great Poster for 'The Lion Man' 1919. Great depiction of the Stars. Gertrude Astor ... I wonder if there's any relation with Mary Astor ?

***JACK FAVELL***

I Just Love those 8 Black & White stills . . . and a couple os 'Sepias' there, too. Are they All of one person. It looks like they could all be one and the same. But they are just Lovely Portraits. Great Finds !

And could the Name of that Big Doll with Buster Keaton be 'Natalie Talmadge, his First Love ? Maybe Buster is just Remembering the Good Times !

Some More Great Finds you've Posted, right Jack Favell ? . . . They are Just Awesome Black & White . . . and Sepia ! You know, her hair style in the 2nd Photo and 5th Photo, where she appears with a Gentleman, is that 'Frizzy' look that seemed to be Very Popular right before the 'Bobbed' look came out. It was a Fashion Statement all it's own . . . and I've seen it before on a lot of the actresses of the 1920's, in earlier picture. Sometimes it would be tied up with a 'scarf' of some sort.

Gagman . . . How Great is that Portrait of Gloria Swanson, her face framed in beads and Gold. She looks exceptionally DIVINE !

Well, Jack Favell . . . You've really outdone yourself posting these Wonderful, Black and White Photos. They are Suberb and a Delight to look @ . . . Thanks to both you and Gagmen for keeping, myself @ least Entertained! . . . KUDOS !

And Super Thanks for that Rendition of 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal' .... You know, my brother and I were talking about this very Song, saying how a 'normal' girl from those days probably stood about 5'2', if not shorter . . . and of course, by todays standards . . . that's short !

Today's GALS are TALL . . . Wherein my brother stated that a Song like that would then have to begin with . . .

Five Foot Eight ....

She Looks Great ...

Love to take her on a Date

Has Anybody Seen my Gal ? . . . . .

But then again, we're NOT Too far aways from just sticking to the Original Version . . . but with just One 'Tweak' !

SIX Foot Two ...

Eyes of Blue ...

But Oh What those SIX Foot could do ...

Has Anybody Seen my Gal ? . . . . grin.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnyJk8MIS6v6vDFY-6B0w

Five Foot Eight ....

She Looks Great ...

Love to take her on a Date

Has Anybody Seen my Gal ? . . . . .

Oh that made me laugh! I know, people were so much shorter back then, eh?

Thanks for the compliment on the black and whites - I really love Marie Prevost, and all the brunette pics as far as I know are Marie herself. I've tried to weed out the ones that are not her, though with the early Sennett ones it's hard to tell. I believe all of these are Marie Prevost. this is as close as I can get to a perfect representation of her.

That frizzed up hairstyle is really not that great is it? I think Marie still looks sensational in it.

Photobucket

It was very popular for a year or two as you say. I prefer Marie with her hair parted in the middle and curled above her shoulders like in this one:

Photobucket

so beautiful.

Here is another batch, including some of my favorites:

Marie, age 4, ca. 1900:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

>

> And Super Thanks for that Rendition of 'Has Anybody Seen My Gal' .... You know, my brother and I were talking about this very Song, saying how a 'normal' girl from those days probably stood about 5'2', if not shorter . . . and of course, by todays standards . . . that's short !

> Today's GALS are TALL . . . Wherein my brother stated that a Song like that would then have to begin with . . .

>

>

> Five Foot Eight ....

> She Looks Great ...

> Love to take her on a Date

> Has Anybody Seen my Gal ? . . . . .

>

>

> But then again, we're NOT Too far aways from just sticking to the Original Version . . . but with just One 'Tweak' !

>

>

> SIX Foot Two ...

> Eyes of Blue ...

> But Oh What those SIX Foot could do ...

> Has Anybody Seen my Gal ? . . . . grin.gif

>

>

> images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnyJk8MIS6v6vDFY-6B0w

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Well, a 1949 report forecast that the typical American woman of 2000 would indeed stand over six feet tall (and wearing size 11 shoes): http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/paleofuture/2012/01/in-the-future-all-women-will-be-amazons/. One can only imagine how popular women's basketball and volleyball would be today had that actually happened.

Hey VP19 . . .

That was very interesting 'Read' on the Prediction of a '2000 Year Gal' . . . Whoa ! . . . All I can say is that they really ARE exceeding in Heights. Just have a look @ the Ladies Competition @ the 2012 Olympics with Swimming and Running and Volley Ball. The top of those Legs looks like it would reach up to my waist ... Not to mention some of the Guys, who are just as tall if Not taller.

I'm 5'3" and I've always felt 'Tall' growing up, at least I was taller than my girl friends in grammar school during the early 60's. . . But a few years back, I boarded a very crowed Subway Train, enroute to my job . . . with 'standing room' Only. I was finally aware that I was standing amidst tall, young gentlemen, in their suits & ties going to their 'Corporate World'. . . when I suddenly realized I was 'Eye Level' to their 'Tie Knots'. And I kept thinking, "Wow, these guys sure are Tall!' . . . Well, after awhile it finally occurred to me that, it wasn't them that was so Tall, as much as it was My, being so Short! . . . Alas, my height of 5'3" is slowly being 'Ebbed Out' with the 5'2" Gals from Old . . . (if it hasn't already.)

***Jack Favell***

These Photos of Marie Prevost are Just Awesome . . . And what a 'Sweet Cutie' she was @ 4 years old.

In a couple of the Stills, she reminds me of Renee Adoree. I read a little of her 'bio' and it was so sad that her life ended so early . . . @ the young age of 38. Well, young to us, anyways . . . this may be another case of certain ages being considered 'old' @ that time . . . but by today's measure . . . very YOUNG, yet !

And that 'Frizzed' hair look was their style @ that time. It was definatel a 'Fashion Statement' of the 20's !

Thanks Much for Posting ! happy.gif

Hi Ugaarte,

Yes it is sad, she was such a vivacious, beautiful and funny personality. I too think she looks somewhat like Renee Adoree, though I think Adoree is more classically beautiful... something really draws me to Prevost. Her humor and the way she smiles really won me to her.

Don't believe some of the more disgusting stories about her demise.

Oh heavens, YAY! Now it's working! Well, not entirely... been trying unsuccessfully to get back to the boards since Saturday, and have still not yet been able to return to my Bronxgirl's Mom thread (where I've got a 49th PARALLEL review to post, among other stuff)

That does look like a publicity shot for THE NAKED RAJAH, and, judging by how pretentiously "exotic" Rudy and the animal are posed, I'm guessing this was set up by Natacha. Hate her, lol.

Wendy, ca va? See you (I hope) later in HT.

Really enjoy those Marie Prevost photos. She has a lot of charisma.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 7, 2012 10:45 PM

I hope to see you too, Bronxie! I couldn't even get on the boards last week, now I can post one message and then wait a half hour to get back on, so that's an improvement. I hope you can post that 49th Parallel review at some point and we can discuss.

Hi, Jackie!! Hope you're doing o.k. Yes, I've been going crazy trying to get back...(almost like a TZ episode) I also want to talk about PIMPERNEL SMITH over there. If you don't see me at B's Mom this evening, you'll know I'm still having trouble.

Poor Buster. I think he would have done better with Patty Poundcake than Natalie Talmadge,

p99.jpg

Here are three for Johanna. They are from Bob Fells Old Hollywood in Color. Com. I gave them the titles. But I can't take credit for the work.

veidt002_edited3final.jpg

*"The Veidt One For You"*

VeidtCandid004copy_Final.jpg

*"Vedit You Are!"*

VeidtCandid005_edited1copy.jpg

*"That's Veidt"*

Bronxi,

Another funny Keaton. I don't remember if I posted it here before. I did some other places.

Buster Crash lands in Legsville! There appears to be no escape! "Gammit, The Gal Anyway!"

PHOTO_16395665_66470_8093159_ap.jpg

*Buster Keaton- "Gammed If You Do, Gammed If You Don't!"*

I better brush up on my Pimpernel Smith! All I remember is how beautifully the story translated, and that Leslie was in fine form, very dashing and thoughtful at the same time.

I guess you didn't make it over in HT...

DOn't even get me started on natalie, lol. Who knows, though, maybe she has hidden depth like Natacha.....

probably not.

Hi Gagman . . .

That's a Great Photo of Buster Keaton being sat upon by a Blonde, 'Leggy' Usherette (?) . . . Though he appears somewhat 'Floored', I don't think there was much Complaining on his part . . .

And those Photos of Conrad Veidt are just 'Superb' . . . especially the one in a Blue Turbin . . . How Exotic is that ?

And Valentino is just as Handsome behind the Camera, too . . .

I just Love those shiny, Black Boots he's wearing.

***Bronxigirl***

I love that Black & White of Buster Keaton. He sure does appear 'Somber' looking. Is that Natalie Talmadge to his right ?

And the Black and White Photo of the Cast from 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' . . . It's Great seeing the Players from a film 'Hamming' it up behind the Camera as well . . .

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JACK FAVEL Wrote ~~

{ . . . Don't believe some of the more disgusting stories about her (Marie Prevost) demise . . . }

.............................................................................................................................................................

The Only info I read about was that her Death was contributed to Alcoholism and Malnutrion . . . Which, according to the following from 'GOOGLE' . . .

{ . . . In February 1937, it was discovered that Prevost's estate was valued at only $300 prompting the Hollywood community to create the Motion Picture & Television Country House and Hospital to provide medical care for employees of the television and motion picture industry . . . }

It's too bad that it had to take someone's Death to prompt the necessary Action to take care of those in Need.