Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TopBilled

What they looked like at the end of their careers/lives

The photo of Betty Grable was taken on April 10, 1972 at the 1971 Academy Awards ceremony at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in L.A.  Grable and Dick Haymes presented the Scoring Awards to Michel Legrand (who kissed her hand) for Summer of '42, and to John Williams for Fiddler on the Roof.  It was the first time Betty had been asked to present an Oscar, and thankfully the Academy didn't wait until it was too late!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

BTW-- I recently saw a photo of Clark Gable's grandson-- it's scary how much he looks like Clark.

Does he have the jug ears?

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

Does he have the jug ears?

I don't remember the ears, but his face looks like a young Clark Gable in the 1930s.

Genetics are so funny. Gable's son looks like his mother Kay Williams-- all blond and blue-eyed type.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

The photo of Betty Grable was taken on April 10, 1972 at the 1971 Academy Awards ceremony at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in L.A.  Grable and Dick Haymes presented the Scoring Awards to Michel Legrand (who kissed her hand) for Summer of '42, and to John Williams for Fiddler on the Roof.  It was the first time Betty had been asked to present an Oscar, and thankfully the Academy didn't wait until it was too late!

Thanks for the background info on the photo. Much appreciated!

Ya know TB, in your OP and where you posted this pic of Grable...

screen-shot-2018-07-07-at-7-29-53-pm.jpg

...I gotta say I thought she was lookin' pretty good there.

(...and especially considering this would be years before this whole "55 is the new 45" thing that's all the rage now days)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Errol Flynn's only son, I believe his name was Sean, was an International photojournalist. It seems like he was killed around 40 years ago in some kind of a war zone. 

Wow he looks just like Grandad! Yes it was believed Sean and a female co-worker were on motorbikes and captured by the Viet Cong. They think they were both held captive for a year and possibly killed by the Khmer Rouge.  No one knows for sure really sad.

52 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know TB, in your OP and where you posted this pic of Grable...

screen-shot-2018-07-07-at-7-29-53-pm.jpg

...I gotta say I thought she was lookin' pretty good there.

(...and especially considering this would be years before this whole "55 is the new 45" thing that's all the rage now days)

Yes, it's a nice photo of them. Martha Raye was three months older, so they were about the same age.

63 year old Bill Holden's last role in 1981's S.O.B....

sob3.jpg

• Thanks 4

Charlton Heston a year before he died:

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 5.30.09 PM.jpg

Lizabeth Scott two years before she died:

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 5.31.14 PM.jpg

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it's a nice photo of them. Martha Raye was three months older, so they were about the same age.

In 1938, Martha Raye starred in Give Me a Sailor with Betty Grable playing her sister in support.  By 1944, the tables had turned and Grable, who by now was the #1 box office actress in Hollywood, starred in Pin-Up Girl with Martha Raye in support. 

12 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

In 1938, Martha Raye starred in Give Me a Sailor with Betty Grable playing her sister in support.  By 1944, the tables had turned and Grable, who by now was the #1 box office actress in Hollywood, starred in Pin-Up Girl with Martha Raye in support. 

In the early 1950s Martha Raye was one of the biggest stars on Classic TV. She had her own variety TV series.

Nat Hiken,  who was later the creative genius behind Phil Silvers' "Sgt Ernie Bilko", directed and wrote "The Martha Raye Show".

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, filmnoirguy said:

Yes, and in 1947 Martha Raye was working with Charlie Chaplin in MONSIEUR VERDOUX. The entertainment business has lots of ups and downs. Raye's career lasted a long time.

• Like 1

Ann Sheridan had just started the Universal western comedy series Pistols n Petticoats when she was diagnosed with cancer. She did not make it to the end of the first season. She began to look increasingly gaunt by mid-season. She lost her voice from treatments and had to be dubbed at the end. The show was a hit but did not continue without her.

Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 7.55.11 AM.jpg