Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Sally Ann Howes

One of the things I like most about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), she has one of the purest, sweetest voices I know.  The only singer I can call to mind to approach her dulcet tones is Judy Collins.  When she sings, her voice reaches right down into the middle of you.  Born of a show biz family, she started early on the stage, eventually starring in stage musicals and acting in movies, and finally arrived when she took over for Julie Andrews in "My Fair Lady."  As much as the movie did for raising her profile, it didn't pan out into a big movie career.  Just fine for her, as she preferred the stage.  She also enjoyed success in TV productions.  She's still with us, though retired, living the life of a naturalized American in New York.

I loved her in THE DEAD OF NIGHT (1946) WITH MICHAEL REDGRAVE.  Dead of Night should be show on TCM IT IS IN THE CRITERION COLLECTION.

Howes's voice is so amazing in CB2, it just heightens my rage issues at people who think Chitty was a "Disney movie" or that Julie Andrews was Truly, just because Albert Broccoli wanted to steal everything from "Mary Poppins" that wasn't nailed down.

And that includes people who thought since childhood that "Lovely Lonely Man" should have been cut from the film because it "dragged things down"...Them's fighting words!  ?

• Thanks 1

CCBB was (and still is) one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a sweet story, but not too saccharine that it makes me ill every time I watch it. And I love Sally Ann Howes. I've always been impressed with her vocal prowess. "Lovely, Lonely Man" is a moment I always look forward to whenever I watch the movie. 

• Like 1