Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello Everyone!

I was a member a loooong time ago, but have never stopped watching TCM. It's one of the very few cable channels I have any use for. I just purchased a DVD of a PBS "American Experience" episode entitled, "Mary Pickford". It is quite a remarkable show and I believe that it is available to stream via the PBS website. However, I got the impression by watching the DVD [almost 90 minutes in length] that Ms. Pickford's life was less than a joyous one.

Yet, having read both of small books that she wrote in 1935 [My Rendezvous With Life, Why Not Try God], the story of Ms. Pickford's life, portrayed on the DVD, seems to belie the tremendous amount of determination and faith within Mary in these two books.

Is anyone also a fan of Mary Pickford's life?

There are two biographies mentioned on the PBS DVD, which I will soon seek out to learn more. I can certainly appreciate the restrictions that are placed on a biography, having just 90 minutes to encapsulate a life as vibrant as Ms. Pickford's.

The reading of Mary's books show me a woman, a very devoutly spiritual woman, as someone who can take the best, as well as the most trying & difficult parts of life to bear, with a determination that "there's more in me"! A quote from the book reads as follows..."My discovery was so wonderful and had brought me so much joy, given me so much spiritual light in the hardest hours of my life, that I want to share it with all who care to try it."

Yet, none of Mary's ideology is even hinted at in the DVD. Quite a contrast, I must say.  Yet, these two books of which I speak where written in a v-e-r-y pivotal time in her life...

Her mother, the tower upon which Mary leaned, had died, Mary's marriage to Doug Fairbanks was in a shambles [to divorce Fairbanks a year later] and the acting career which she loved, was coming to a close.

I hope that you too find Ms. Pickford's life nothing short of remarkable, as I did. I also have read the biography of Frances Marion ["Without Lying Down"] that was so splendidly done by Ms. Cari Beauchamp, which was subsequently made into a special program aired on TCM some time ago.

Thank you TCM for such a wonderful and rewarding T.V. channel!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 3:23 PM, A. Pismo Clam said:

Hello Everyone!

I was a member a loooong time ago, but have never stopped watching TCM. It's one of the very few cable channels I have any use for. I just purchased a DVD of a PBS "American Experience" episode entitled, "Mary Pickford". It is quite a remarkable show and I believe that it is available to stream via the PBS website. However, I got the impression by watching the DVD [almost 90 minutes in length] that Ms. Pickford's life was less than a joyous one.

Yet, having read both of small books that she wrote in 1935 [My Rendezvous With Life, Why Not Try God], the story of Ms. Pickford's life, portrayed on the DVD, seems to belie the tremendous amount of determination and faith within Mary in these two books.

Is anyone also a fan of Mary Pickford's life?

There are two biographies mentioned on the PBS DVD, which I will soon seek out to learn more. I can certainly appreciate the restrictions that are placed on a biography, having just 90 minutes to encapsulate a life as vibrant as Ms. Pickford's.

The reading of Mary's books show me a woman, a very devoutly spiritual woman, as someone who can take the best, as well as the most trying & difficult parts of life to bear, with a determination that "there's more in me"! A quote from the book reads as follows..."My discovery was so wonderful and had brought me so much joy, given me so much spiritual light in the hardest hours of my life, that I want to share it with all who care to try it."

Yet, none of Mary's ideology is even hinted at in the DVD. Quite a contrast, I must say.  Yet, these two books of which I speak where written in a v-e-r-y pivotal time in her life...

Her mother, the tower upon which Mary leaned, had died, Mary's marriage to Doug Fairbanks was in a shambles [to divorce Fairbanks a year later] and the acting career which she loved, was coming to a close.

I hope that you too find Ms. Pickford's life nothing short of remarkable, as I did. I also have read the biography of Frances Marion ["Without Lying Down"] that was so splendidly done by Ms. Cari Beauchamp, which was subsequently made into a special program aired on TCM some time ago.

Thank you TCM for such a wonderful and rewarding T.V. channel!

Hello, I just browsed to see if any posts were made regarding Mary Pickford the last few months and came across yours so I'm sorry if it's a really late reply. I have been studying Mary Pickford for pretty much this whole entire decade starting in 2010 and I own and read a lot of her biographies(both excellent and poor ones) She definitely became one of the most fascinating Hollywood people for me because of all the power she had for many years during that early era of the film industry. I'm so glad there are other fans that also admire her strength and ambition that drove her to be one of the best during the Silent Era. Incidentally, silent sunday night last night had The Love Light(1920), directed by Frances Marion and starring Pickford. It's usually a treat since TCM unfortunately only screens two Pickford films a year(I keep track) and they should really show more of her work so people can become more familiar with her. I can't wait to watch the recent restoration of Rosita(1923) when ever it becomes screened. 

• Thanks 1

Dear Mary Pickford fan!

Thank you for your wonderful response to my post. I am sorry that I missed the airing of "The Love Light". May I ask please, what would you consider the best, or the most truthful of all the Pickford biographies?

BTW, did you happen to see the documentary, "Fragments", which TCM aired a few weeks ago? It was 1 1/2 hours of some one reelers and some even less than, of silent films that, regrettable, are lost forever. First the nitrate flms gave way to the acetate. Even some of those are damaged beyond repair. So sad.