Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Attitude of movie watching

I love the movies! Maybe it's the length of the story, or the variety, or the compelling characters, but I rather watch an old movie over a new TV show anytime. Criminal Intent w/Vincent D'Onofrio the exception. And with Bravo and USA, that can be anytime!

But I even have trouble watching a movie the first time. I feel a major problem is the setting I'm watching from. Home, with my schaunzer barking and dirty laundry calling. I am much more inclined to be in the right mood when I'm in the theater.

What do you do for your movie watching? My schedule's getting crazy (in the summer here, it does). I try to watch when its not too late, although I did enjoy Mon Oncle around midnight last week.

Please, give me some suggestions; I want to put myself in the best disposition...

I have similar problems, usually the weekends I watch more as I dont work , but on weeknights at least until im done renting, I do watch at least 3-5 movies during the week between Netflix and my own goodies. I usually watch movies at home and prefer older films to any sitcom. I make sure all my chores are done before I get to watching especially something new. When I am not into a movie Ill start moving around, go online, etc. I watch movies during laundry, pausing them to get my clothes. Well my wife usually does the laundry but when i do it, thats what I do. :)

As a fellow schnauzer owner (his name is Oscar and he's my alarm clock. Every morning around 6 AM he wakes me for his walk).

My routine is watching a movie a day. I try to start it before 8 PM, well after dinner and no dishwasher distractions. I generally research the first time viewings being careful to avoid spoilers or really knowing too much about the story. My biggest temptation watching at home is pausing the movie to check out details on IMDB, especially if I see a performer that I've seen before, but can't place. I think I am pretty open view to many different types of film, but I do try to vary them. I usually avoid TV series, although occasionally I'll wait for one to be released on DVD and try to watch a full season on consecutive nights. (I am currently finishing up Mad Men as an example.) I do this with mini-series as well. I usually time shift TCM, using my DVD hard drive recorder. My primary source of movies is an internet mail-out service to get DVDs that do not show often or ever on Cable. Movies are a major hobby of mine, and have been for over 50 years, so my attitude is generally positive. It is very rare that I'll give up on a film.

Although I sometimes "get caught" watching a movie when I didn't intend to, I mostly tape and watch later... Partly because I'm busy during the day and evening, but mostly because the movies I WANT to watch are usually shown in the wee hours on TCM: foreign, silent, etc....

When I do watch, I try to make a big production out of it, LOL; I get comfortable, recline on the bed with my wedge, have my blanket and cats, my drink and snacks, dim the lights, and settle in. Someday I'd like to set up a real "home theatre" with a big-screen TV and "ambience"...

All great ideas, so far! I do have TiVo, so that helps alot! It has changed my life!

My son I think watches while checking out the imdb as well, thanks for reminding me of that. I find I do need an attitude adjustment, however, for watching a drama. Especially crime drama. It seems I'm always up for a comedy! Or a romance..

Here's another question: For the Guys.... What would need to be in a romantic movie to get you to watch it?

An extremely beautiful woman/women and a plot that is not insipid or plodding/boring. The story needs to reach out and grab the viewer within the first 15 minutes. Some of us men have short attention spans most of the time.

Thanks, Randy! My screenplay has at least 2 money shots. I will keep you in the seats but many women like cute/beautiful rather than just beautiful. Like Mary Tyler Moore, women like spunk! How do I please both genders? By the way, *Picnic* is on now; not exactly romance, which is just the point, I think. I wouldn't necessarily say men in general have short attention spans; I know a wonderful man who will read all my boring posts. Grateful for him!

*"Like Mary Tyler Moore, women like spunk!"* - casablancalover

"I hate spunk." -

Lou (aka "Mister") Grant, News Director WJM Television

(And I miss Donaldson's on the mall too.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Casablancalover:

This post may sound a little too heavy for this clever, light-hearted, and delightful thread you have created, but, remember, it?s coming from a guy who saw ?The Wizard of Oz? in its first run. I?ve seen a lot of flicks between then and now.

I do think the ?state-of-mind? attitude you bring to watching any movie, not only a romantic one, is an important part of defining the experience you undergo. I will watch a TCM movie anytime; morning, noon or night. Unfortunately, there is about an 80% chance that I have already seen it. So, actually, in those cases it?s the movie itself that creates the attitude I develop while watching it. Many times a feeling of nostalgia pervades the anticipation of unfolding story as I watch familiar movies.

However, when I want to select a movie to watch from a rather large VCR collection that I?m in the process of cataloging, I guess I select one that matches the mood I?m in at the time. Whether it?s romantic or not, ?state-of-body? attitude now comes to the fore. Food, drink, a comfortable chair, and especially someone, usually my wife, to share observations with make for a satisfying experience.

Seeing a movie in a theater is a completely different phenomenon. I can be distracted easily watching a movie at home, but in a theater I am completely immersed. That?s always been the difference between a play and a movie for me. At a play I am always conscious of a barrier between the actors and me, whereas in a movie theater that barrier dissolves and I am oblivious to surroundings. With respect to attitude, I would think the one that comes into play in a theater is one of expectation.

As far as what would make a guy my age watch a romantic movie, I guess it would be the classic ?Boy meets girl. Boy loses girl. Boy gets girl?. Case in point: ?Cover Girl?. But there are many, many clever variations on this theme, which I expect you to mine.

Am enjoying the feedback you are getting.

--Gus Cerini

I like being at home alone when watching a movie. I RARELY go to the theatre, I don't like crowds.

When I want to watch a new movie on Pay - per - View or Starz or on DVD/VHS, I like to have all chores done and find a time in which there is nothing else on like the History Channel, TCM, etc.

You should invest into a good set of headphones like Bose to filter out all outside noises and distractions so you can enjoy what you are watching. I like headphones better over speakers.

I live in a quite town which also helps.

Can't wait for "Dark Knight", be on PPV by Xmas I hope.

I too get immersed when I am in a theater. I was in one home theater setting, (50" screen I think) and the room was darkened. Almost had the same experience. Also, we watched the Incredibles - go figure!

Everybody says they are looking for a great story, a compelling story. Its like my mentor saying, "I don't like this part, take it out" - without any explanation. What does it mean to you?

I do favor stories of the transforming power of love. I have hope that love can change a heart. Its the romantic in me...

Because my 'schedule' is so irregular, I can't remember the last time I watched something when it aired. If there's a movie or tv show that I think I'll want to see, I record it and put it on the stack for later viewing (I'm not doing too bad at the moment, probably only about 20-25 disks awaiting scrutiny, but there is that full 100-disk spindle of stuff from last year that I haven't gotten around to . . .).

I usually try to watch tv shows the same week -- the savings in time, by being able to skip the commercials and fast forward through the predictable parts, is considerable: sometimes a one hour show can be watched in about fifteen minutes.

But I have to be in the mood for a particular movie and know I'll be awake for a few hours before I start watching one. I rarely give a movie I've seen before my undivided attention -- I'll often be handling a large download on the computer, reading, and watching all at the same time -- but I do put everything else on pause so I can catch the 'good bits' (particular scenes, dialogue, etc. that I love). Lately, it's rare for me to watch, even this way, more than one movie a day.

For me to watch a movie that I haven't seen before requires a rare conjunction of free time, mood, and attitude. I doubt that I see more than one new-to-me movie a month. (Fortunately, I've been watching movies for {mumble, mumble} decades, and don't care for the trend in movies over the last thirty years, so there are relatively few that I want to see that I haven't.)

Nearly all my viewing is in my bedroom (it's been at least two weeks since the tv in the living room was even turned on), so it's only a matter of how many lights I have on for a particular type of movie (action/adventure get all the lights on, when it's comedies, there's only my desklamp and a reading light, and for mystery/romance/horror I have redlights on my keyboard and a clip-light on my book).

As for seeing movies in theatres -- the last time I went, it cost $2 a ticket. I understand it's gone up recently. I never liked watching movies in theatres anyway because of the distractions and there's no such thing as a good seat for a strongly left-handed person (the screens/seats are angled slightly to favor right-handed (and therefore right-eyed) theatre-goers).

casablancalover....I DVR movies on TCM ahead of time. For example, I bring up the grid

on the screen, check the movies being shown three or four days in advance, and then

I record them for future viewing. Some of the movies are for myself* and some are for

my husband & I to watch together. Choosing the best time to watch them is up to the

viewer. We are retired, however, my husband works part time three days a week at

a golf course(rough, I know). My point being, we are busy too and so we usually catch

up with one or two movies in the evening.

Then the new TV season comes and that complicates matters!

*I watch my personal favs. during the day when I have time.

Anyway....that is my story. :)

In the wee small hours there's nothing I like better than to "watch" a movie I love such as Anatomy of a Murder, Letter to Three Wives, I Was a Male War Bride, etc., movies that I know very well down to most of the dialogue. I put "watch" in quotes because I usually am doing something else while "watching" - reading, working a jigsaw puzzle, crocheting, doing my nails.

I find this activity very comforting when faced with some anticipatory anxiety abt the next day...

I received from Netflix today the 1952 movie Sudden Fear. If this movie has been on TCM, I missed it and I rarely miss any movies, I know are coming and I want to watch. I haven't seen this movie since 1952, but do remember the movie extremely well. I can see scenes in my mind. I am anxious to see how my watching tonight compares to 56 years ago.

Casablancalover, Replying to what would it take to get me to watch a romantic move?? I really liked "Singing in the Rain." I also like a couple of the real old John Wayne movies in black and white where the girl and John fall for each other. Also I like "The Quiet Man." "McClintock" both of which are really about love. I guess if the romance is not the overriding theme but the subtext with the the sexual tension running underneath everything until the end of the picture where the guy gets the girl (too chauvanistic(sp?)).

Message was edited by: Friartuck

I don't think that is chauvinistic at all! The idea of good storytelling, is the overcoming of obstacles for the protagonists. I find that men like the sexual tension, but women see it as romantic tension! Funny how that works out..

Friartuck, you seem to be in agreement with other guys I've talked to about how the romance is a subtext to a larger view, tending to the character development of the male lead. John Wayne, Cary Grant, Joel McCrea, and Jimmy Stewart are mentioned as favorites for these leads.

See? Talking about these movies is hardly painful at all.....

So guys; What's your favorite romantic movie? Please, no *Blazing Saddles* Ha-ha!