Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Stephen444

Picnic on tonight

> {quote:title=hamradio wrote:}{quote}

> << a girl who bleaches her own hair no money for a salon >>

> TikiSoo, you must be very very young.

Haha! There ya go jumping to conclusions....and then going off on a diatribe about life in the 50's, baking bread, eh. I know all about the time period, I was already around. And I can assure you, average middle class women had their hair "done".

My comment was I hated Kim's hair in the movie, it looked like a burnt mullet. My question was; "was it supposed to look bad" as a comment on her social status?

Verna Felton sighting!

She just had a bit in The Fuller Brush Man as a grandmother tricked by her incorrigible grandson into revealing her sordid past as a hootchie cootchie girl. :D

This line had to be stated by Madge in order for the audience to know that she considered her beauty to be a liability instead of an asset.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> I liked the film a lot, I just wish it had been a little more subtle. "All people ever talk about is how pretty I am"....we got that by scene 3, you don't have to state it!

VERNA FELTON SIGHTINGS~

she was the voice of the red queen in WD's Alice in Wonderland

she was the voice of one of the three good fairies from WD's Sleeping Beauty

she was the voice of the aunt who owned Si and Am the siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp

she had a hit record 'Bibbity Bobbity Boo' from Cinderella

and she was just on The Fuller Brush Man she played Junior's mother...

> {quote:title=MovieGal53 wrote:}{quote}

> This line had to be stated by Madge in order for the audience to know that she considered her beauty to be a liability instead of an asset.

Good point, Gal.

Guess Kim Novak isn't as bad an actress as some people think. Her glaring looks and body attitude towards her younger sister told me that without words early in the film.

There was also some subtler dialogue early on that hinted around that she felt "trapped" to only be someone's wife while her "smart" sister could go off and be anything she wanted.

It's an aspect of the story I liked very much.

So many memorable and touching moments in "Picnic".Many film historians think the poignant scene with Verna Felton and Betty Field at dusk...at the end of the picnic...sitting in park swings discussing life,,...Verna saying just watching the girls grow up. meant so much to her..it was a scene that tugged at moviegoers hearts and stayed there.

It was a lovely scene - and it set me wondering about Felton's character

she was the perfect mother, grandmother or aunt, and devoted her life into

taking care of her mom...and she truly loved Hal from the start of the film

maybe he was the beaux she wished for when she was young, and she finally

met him...

> Guess Kim Novak isn't as bad an actress as some people think. <

If people are going to gauge her talents by, lets say, Bell, Book, and Candle, then I can understand the criticism. To them I say take a look at her roles in The Man With the Golden Arm or Jeanne Eagles. It all depends on the body of work given an actor.

* To kaleman and rainingviolets101*

I always felt that Mrs. Potts was the combination of Madge and Millie. She might have had a great love at one time or the opportunity for a higher education but, due to life's circumstances, she chose to forego all of that to care for her mother.

Her life was made tolerable by living next to Flo and the girls. They brought some life into an otherwise drab situation. Mrs. Potts brought a bittersweetness to the film.

One of my favorite scenes is Mrs Potts's description of Hal toward the end of the movie. Talking to Flo she talks about how she had gotten so use to the smell of Geraniums, Mommas medicine then he came in and he clomped around the house like he was still outdoors. There was a man in the house and it felt good. Sorry ladies I know it's a 50s sexist remark but we are all different and this is the way alot of men are. We do clomp around and we break things and make messes but we also fix stuff.

Who you talking to, lady? :D

I had two older sisters as well as my mother to deal with, and believe me, I was trained to put that seat down.

Now how my father managed to escape all that feminine coercion is beyond me... :)

wouldn't william holden's character HAVE to look older and mature because he had such a hard life and unhealthy lifestyle compared to the cliff robertson character

and kim novak's hair looked like a wig attachment piece and it was strawberry blonde on my tv screen and her lines were so lame "I don't want to be just pretty" yuck

rosalind russell's performance was way over the top and I have to agree with another poster who said she must have desperately wanted to steal the show and how depressing it was

I had heard that susan strasberg was actually 28 yrs old when she made this movie (don't know if that is true)

I loved arthur o'connell ...he was in so many movies

and the musical score and the dance scene I just thought that part was breathtaking

it was all very romantic but in reality ... can you imagine if your daughter wanted to go with a man like that instead of someone rich and seemingly stable

Susan Strasberg was 17 at the time, she was born in 1938..

Kim Novak was wearing a fall in her hair, which consisted of

long hair attached in the back, and became quite popular

10 years later..I don't understand why people blame Kim for saying

I want to be more than a pretty girl,,Kim is only repeating the Inge

lines in the play..something I've noticed ..lines said onstage, when said

in the movies, come across as corny, it's a different medium, this is really

evident in The Sound Of Music, when the children explain about how they

scare the governeses ( with a jar of spiders)...

Picnic is just about the most wonderful powerful love story ever filmed, everyone in the film, in my opinion was cast perfectly, i saw this move in the theatre when it was released in 1956 and the tender age of eight with my parents, and i loved it then (though i probably did not understand very much of it) and i love is very much today!

I liked everyone in this movie, especially Rosalind Russell. I think everyone complimented each others personality. Some of the lines may be corny but this was made in 1955, what do you expect?

Yes some of the writing comes off as corny but I think that it is interesting and full of emotion.

> {quote:title=Stephen444 wrote:}{quote}

> Yes some of the writing comes off as corny but I think that it is interesting and full of emotion.

Well hoo-ray for liking corny!

As someone who has apologised my whole life for liking "corny" stories, I finally came to the realization most others do too. "Corn" is just emotions and sentiment which we all have and can relate to. Why are so many people are afraid to admit they are moved by sentimental stories?

tikisoo wrote..."why are so many people afraid to admit they moved by sentimental stories?"

I didn't say Picnic is sentimental in the sense that it's milking us for emotion. I hate that kind of sentimentality. I think there are sentimental elements in the movie but it is saved by the strong emotions communicated in the story and by the exceptional performances.

Yes, as I grow older I find myself more open to films of the past that could be described as corny. I think there many films to be learned from and experienced. I especially like to think about the time that the film was created in and to think about how the elements of a movie are effected by the standards and customs of that time.

Message was edited by: Stephen444

Don't mean to be cliche, but when Kim Novak begins to clap her hands under the magic moonlight, I understand fully what sex and romance can mean.