Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

name the movie

metz44

*metz44* - what was the film, I'm very curious. Did you delete a clue?

I'm going to try another one - could go very quickly...

It?s the story of a young, ambitious, working woman. She seems about to realize her dreams when she becomes engaged to her very wealthy boss.

A very good guess, *visualfeast* - but it's not *Madame X*

Here's more...

The marriage of her dreams is about to take place and the young woman begins her journey to the wedding site. A major delay arises before she?s able to undertake the last leg of her trip and she?s stranded for a few days. While waiting, she meets a man, an outdoors type, and ends up spending a lot of time with him.

Stuck where she is, the young woman gets to know some of the local people, the area, its folklore and traditions. She and the new man see and do many things together - an ancient castle, a dinner, a wedding anniversary party. They're attracted to each other but she is determined to go ahead with her plan of marrying the wealthy industrialist.

Eventually she risks lives including her own when she recklessly insists on being taken to her fiance in unsafe conditions.

Sure - this one was made in the mid-40's, takes place at that time, and is primarily set in a remote area of Great Britain. The location and the elements have prominent roles in the story.

Another clue: the actress who plays the young woman won an Academy Award later in her career.

More clues:

Though the woman in question risks lives trying to make her way to the island where her fiance is, all manage to survive.

In the end, she comes to her senses and chooses the new man in her life (earlier revealed to be the true Laird of Kiloran) over the businessman she always thought she wanted.

Petula Clark has a small role ? but no singing involved.

If I knew how to post an image you would be seeing an image of a blue, red, white and black bulls-eye with arrows in it and the words: *A Production of the Archers - London - England* rather than this text

it's scheduled to air again on TCM on May 13

(updated)

Congratulations, *cmvgor*, you named it! *I Know Where I'm Going!*, a Powell/Pressburger ("The Archers") production with Wendy Hiller and Roger Livesey is scheduled to air on TCM on May 13 at 10:45 am. I think it's an unusual and beautiful film. Makes me want to take off for the Scottish isles...

"I reached the point of thinking there were no more masterpieces to discover, until I saw I Know Where I'm Going!" - Martin Scorsese

It's yours again, *cmvgor* - enjoy -

Thanks, ladyeve. Trying again.

1940s B&W. Illegitimate son of an aristocratic Irish family goes to America. Lives by his wits in 1820s Louisiana. Gambling on a riverboat. Suspected of cheating; marooned on a sandbar.

The hero names the plantation after his ancestrial home in Ireland. Sets out to turn it into a paying concern, and to build a showplace mansion. It's noted that he does hands-on work alongside workmen and slaves. A beautiful lady that he has fallen for scorns him, but then she

learns that he has arranged for the family of the man he killed in the duel to be taken care of.

She forms a better impression of him.

This movie is based on a popular novel. It is well based in history. Unlike many stories set in this period, it does not involve the American Civil war. Slavery still exists at the end of the story, and slaves are characters in the story from beginning to end. The conflict at the background of

the events is a financial and banking crisis of the 1820s-30s that affected many people, including

the characters of this story.

ladyeve;

At or about 48 Views, correct re *Foxes*. TCM has a very detailed synopsis in their list. My impression is that it has _never_ been copied. That seems to be the impression over at Amazon

also. I've posted a request that TCM show it, in hope that I may get a chance to tape it. A film

involving American slavery that did not contain an anti-slavery subplot just wasn't welcome in some quarters.

An amusing sidebar: Frank Yerby, author of the source novel, was born to a mixed-race couple,

and he grew up in an area where that was automatically labled "Black". After spending some time as a teacher, he started a writing career and became a master of the "bodice-ripper" long before that phrase was invented. Also, he wrote mostly of White protagonists, sort of practicing

"Whitesploitation" decades before the term "Blaxsploitation" came into use.

Incidentally, ladyeve, have you seen it, and what clue got you to it?

Thread's yours.

Hi cmvgor -

I have seen *The Foxes of Harrow* but it's been a while, I think. I was stuck. I knew *Bright Leaf* and *Saratoga Trunk* weren't it - but I had Gary Cooper and other Hollywood stars in mind (Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, etc.). The key for me was "based on a popular novel." I started looking into those and recognized it on sight.

Clues:

This movie starts with a wedding and ends with a double wedding. Everyone lives happily ever after.

Or do they?

*So...the movie starts with a wedding and ends with a double wedding. Everyone lives happily ever after - or do they?*

This is a screwball of a screwball comedy (a farce, really) about a married couple with financial problems. The wife decides she's going to fix things and takes matters into her own hands (well, maybe not exactly her hands) - she tells him:

"You have no idea what a long-legged gal can do without doing anything."

Off she goes to prove her point - starting with a train ride south that has various ramifications. Her husband follows and later they meet up. But identities are scrambled. As mentioned, this is a seriously screwball comedy...

The husband is also a very attractive creature, and a woman who likes him (and has lots of $$$ and ex-husbands) comments:

"...we should have met sooner, and if I'd seen you around, we would have! "

This is one of AFI's "100 funniest films." Its writer/director had an enviable period of hit after hit in the 40s. His winning streak ended, though, and he died while writing his autobio (which he planned to call "The Events Leading Up To My Death") at the Algonquin Hotel...