Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

name the movie

metz44

Thanks Bargar. Great film,great cast, great clues.

This a B&W film from the 50's.A very weathy, successful female playright fires the lead actor because she thinks he doesn't have enough sex appeal and isn't the romantic leading type .He yells at her from the stage that she should go to a musuem in San Francisco where a portrait of Casanova hangs. He says that Casanova had a crooked,broken nose and a wart on his chin.The actor then storms off the stage.They meet again on a train where she falls in love with him during the trip.

Terriffic, ladyeve. Since TCM doesn't show this one often or at all, I was afraid that this question was going to linger. I like this noir very much and Joan,Jack Palance and Gloria Grahame were wonderful in it.I just rewatched this one in the last few days and if you like a good 50's thriller, I recommend this one.

Great job, and now you can take over,ladyeve.

Thanks, lavendarblue. I had an inkling of *Sudden Fear* as a Crawford film which is how I came to it. Will check out YouTube (thanks, rainingviolets). I don't think I've seen it on TCM.

Here goes:

A family dominates a small town. None in the family are poor, some have married for money ? or more money, and plans are underway to that could pay off very profitabily. But there?s a hitch and the maneuvering begins.

Though it's not *This Earth is Mine* or *Another Part of the Forest* - those are both excellent guesses as there are definite similarities in the story lines: a proposed arranged marriage, the threat of blackmail over a criminal act, and death.

A top critic of the time called it an "almost faustian tale" filled with deceit and cruelty: "The whole suspense of the picture lies in the question of who's going to sink the last knife."

Good guess, but not *The Young Philadelphians* - this takes place in a small town though there are connections to a big city.

The hitch is that the family members making the deal for the new business enterprise are short of the total cash needed. One option that goes nowhere is marrying off a ne?er-do-well son. The best bet is to get a banker relative to invest with them.

You named it, it's *The Little Foxes* !

And visualfeast, you couldn't have gotten any closer than *Another Part of the Forest* - same family, different part of its history.

The thread is yours Mr. 6s - good job.

(Polecat - I was writing above post as you were submitting *Ambersons* - so I missed it rather than ignored it)

Message was edited by: theladyeve