Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
phelps

Who Will Ever Replace Robert Osbourne?

I was reading an earlier post about how many of our stars from the classic era that are left are aging and won't be with us much longer. This got me to thinking....I know TCM without our beloved Mr. Osbourne is something many of us don't want to imagine but he is getting older & even in the best health may want to retire before long. I enjoy Ben Mankowitz on the weekends but lets face it he is a complete opposite from Osbourne. I would like to see Robert Osbourne succeeded (I don't dare say replaced..LOL) by someone more like himself. Dignified but not "stuffy" with a similar knowledge of classic movies. Who do you think would make a good replacement? Do you think TCM will hand the job to Mankowitz or another young host because of its attempts to draw younger viewers? Personally, nobody comes to mind.

> {quote:title=phelps wrote:}{quote}

> I. I would like to see Robert Osbourne succeeded (I don't dare say replaced..LOL) by someone more like himself. Dignified but not "stuffy" with a similar knowledge of classic movies. Who do you think would make a good replacement? Do you think TCM will hand the job to Mankowitz or another young host because of its attempts to draw younger viewers? Personally, nobody comes to mind.

First person who comes to mind for me is Nick Clooney. He did a wonderful job hosting AMC during it's younger days. He would reflect the same on air personna as Mr. Osborne with as much knowledge of classic films mixed with humor.

I'll go with Nick Clooney as well. Perhaps the gentleman who used to do the intros and outros at AMC. His name escapes me.

Not expecting it to happen for at least ten or more years - barring something unforeseen and tragic - I'd put my money on Alec Baldwin.

In the past year, he has proven himself as both a Guest Programmer and as an Interviewer ("Role Model: Gene Wilder"). I think he he has a sincere appreciation for the channel and would be truly excited to be the "face" of TCM.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Elvis Mitchell was offered the position either.

Kyle In Hollywood

phelps just wondering, did the sudden passing of Tony Snow and Tim Russert got you to thinking of the subject? I know Tim's passing was a shock to many ( we did know about Tony's ill health).

Call me an optimist but I think Robert will be with us for a while and has become an icon of TCM. I don't like puttinng someones "one foot in the grave" prematurely

Kyle I don't want Alec Baldwin to host TCM. If the worst did happen, we need a film historian that has true knowledge of films and has charisma like Robert. Anyone in mind?

By the way about a week or so ago a member replying from a thread don't like Robert, WHY??

Message was edited by: hamradio

If the worst did happen, we need a film historian that has true knowledge of films and has charisma like Robert. Anyone in mind?>>

The biggest problem with film historians is two-fold:

Many film historians are great lecturers and writers. They spend their lives teaching about film and they often write about that passion as well.

But, and it's a big but, not many of them will have that magical relationship with the camera. That relationship is not necessarily built on looks. It is about feeling comfortable talking to the camera and reaching the audience beyond the camera.

For me, Molly Haskell is a terrific writer and film historian. But she did not come across as such when co-hosting the *Essentials* two years ago because despite all her bona fides she and the camera did not get along. She came across too often as wooden, stilted and uncomfortable on camera when she probably is none of those things in real life situations.

So, I guess my point is that it won't be easy to replace Robert O when he decides to finally retire.

TCM will celebrate its 15th anniversary next year and I think Robert O has been with them since the beginning.

But no matter what, who ever is asked will have some mighty big shoes to fill.

Kids - I just noticed all the post are suggesting men

how about a lady - who was there ? lets see

Jane Powell or Esther Williams or maybe a female

movie reviewer or a beloved character actress ?

How about Arlene Dahl ? Or Angela Lansbury ?

Kids - I just noticed all the post are suggesting men

how about a lady - who was there ? lets see

Jane Powell or Esther Williams or maybe a female

movie reviewer or a beloved character actress ?

How about Arlene Dahl ? Or Angela Lansbury ?>>

Vi,

A woman would be a great and welcome choice. My thought about the actresses you mentioned is that many of them are Robert O's age now or slightly older.

As he has been with the company for almost 15 years, I suspect that when the time comes they will look for someone who can be another long-term "face" of the channel.

If that is the case they will have to look for those who would be in their late 50s or early 60s, so that they could host for many years.

I didn't care for Nick Clooney nor Bob Dorian. They talk to much to the "matinee" crowd. They are not TCM.

When Robert retires, TCM will choose someone much younger to attract a younger audience. Most of us will be appalled. Ben is heir apparent, they'll probably offer the job to him. I like Ben and I would rather have him take over rather than chance some oddball choice that TCM might choose.

Rose McGowan, anyone?

;)

Gotcha - how about Penny Marshall ?>>

Penny's biggest obstacle will be her voice. It is a required taste and I think too many people would find it grating in the long haul.

It won't be easy choosing a new Robert O when the time comes.

I don't think Ben M is being groomed nor do I think he necessarily wants the job. I think he enjoys being the "maverick" host on the weekend.

I don't think TCM will take the search lightly and just go for another pretty face. I think they take their audience seriously and will try to find someone who can bridge the gap between new and old, much as Robert O does.

I think they are smart enough to realize that Robert O is irreplaceable to many of us and won't try to find someone who looks or sounds like him.

They may go in a different direction but I don't think it will be complete sell-out or overhaul to attract younger viewers. They don't want to be AMC.

It will be someone with a passion for films and the ability to make us want to watch those films. I agree with Kyle that Alec Baldwin (passion for film, good interviewer, etc) will be in the running.

How about Pierce Brosnan ? he's the right age and handsome

and an old-time movie buff...>>

Vi,

I agree with you on all counts! I could certainly see him on the list!

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> Not expecting it to happen for at least ten or more years - barring something unforeseen and tragic - I'd put my money on Alec Baldwin.

> > In the past year, he has proven himself as both a Guest Programmer and as an Interviewer ("Role Model: Gene Wilder"). I think he he has a sincere appreciation for the channel and would be truly excited to be the "face" of TCM.

No, not Alec Baldwin. I can't see him in that light. Then again, my husbands choice would be Woody Allen so I shouldn't judge. lol

Moviegal,

Did you catch his interview with Gene Wilder last spring on TCM? It was a revelation for me. I had no idea that Baldwin would turn out to be such a good interviewer.

Instead of trying to turn the spotlight on himself (as some less experienced are wont to do these days), he kept the interview firmly about Gene Wilder.

I was very surprised and pleased with the way he handled the whole thing.

I hope TCM is planning more of them.

I don't think Nick Clooney could be an option because he is only 2 years younger than Robert O. (N.C. was born in 1934 while R.O. was Born in 1932) so I do think they need to pick a replacement young enough to be around awhile. As much as I would love to think we would have RO for 10 more years he would be 86 then so I don't know. Maybe Pierce Bronson would be a good choice. He is only in his 50's and he does have that sophisticated style. I am not crazy about Baldwin and I wasn't all that crazy with his interview with Gene Wilder (whom I Love) but now don't be mad guys..Opinions are like bellybuttons. And while I have my footin my mouth....laffite said, "Rose McGowan"??? Oh, No! I can't even stand her on The Essentails. She seems so fake to me. BELLYBUTTONS....REMEMBER...LOL Well Pierce Bronson is the best I have heard yet. My friend said Alex Trebek but he is too "Stuufed Shirt" for me.

Or maybe CineSage Jr ... which would mean round-the-clock Errol Flynn films, but that's fine with me.