Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Positive New Trend For Disney....

....allowing TCM to broadcast their older non animated films. Anyone notice? These films were fiercely guarded by Disney for so many years, I hadn't ever seen them before; Freaky Friday, Absent Minded Professor, Bedknobs & Broomsticks (looking forward to seeing this Fri)

Although they're not the blockbusters like Mary Poppins or Parent Trap, I've gained a new appreciation for these cute & fun films. And I am generally not a Disney fan.

I'm really glad Disney has allowed the release of these films to be shown on TCM and hope others (and some animated titles) are to follow.

You consider that a positive trend? I would consider them being a little less backward than they were before.

I will perhaps consider it a positive trend when they issue (and/or license for broadcast) _unedited_, _unaltered_ copies of classic animation films like Fantasia, Make Mine Music, or Melody Time.

As some of you may know, these movies have been digitally altered due to PC reasons. Among other things, they removed the cigar from Pecos Bill and made other changes regarding things that they thought could get them in trouble with some parents.

At the very least, they could have the unaltered version of the movie along with a warning, like WHV does with some of their old cartoons from the 40's and 50's.

That, and also of course releasing Song of the South on video. If WHV can release The Jazz Singer in a sensitive way, acknowledging the insensitive stereotypes while also giving the film its credit as a historic milestone, Disney could do it too with Song of the South.

I agree with you completely on Disney's lack of balls in releasing PC versions of its films. Thank goodness Disney doesn't own all the classics or we'd see GWTW minus Mammy & Prissy and all the old Mickey & Judys without half the musical numbers and the Our Gang comedies would disappear forever. There are ways we can be sensitive about the past without censorship. However, I agree with the OP that it's nice to see the old live action films on TCM since Disney rarely shows them on its own channels (or maybe they do at 3AM when EVERYBODY'S watching, right?) and hasn't released many of them on DVD.

jon

I think there are two separate issues here...

I'm in agreement with the original post, I'm very pleased that TCM has been showing some of the older Disney live-action films, which my family all enjoy, and I hope they will show more. Disney has unfortunately only released some of their live action films in pan & scan (something else Disney needs to correct) so TCM provides the opportunity to see nice prints. A positive trend, indeed.

And I agree that Disney needs to release uncensored versions of MELODY TIME, SONG OF THE SOUTH, and more. They did a great job with their WWII Disney Treasures set and I hope that they will eventually see the light and cease attempting to erase film history.

I'm very pleased that TCM has been showing some of the older Disney live-action films,

Staying out of all the side issues on this, I only want to add that I wish THE DISNEY CHANNEL would show more of their own classic stuff. Most of the things they show are very disappointing on so many levels that I won't bother to go into them here. I don't know why they don't air more of their classics and less of the ridiculous teen stuff. Maybe they should start their own separate channel "Disney Classic Movies"--they have such a wealth of film history to draw from--They could even get old Disney movie actors (Kurt Russell/Jodie Foster/etc to do special features or commentaries on what it was like to be in those earlier films (Ok you Disney Execs--you owe me big bucks some day if you take my suggestion.) :-) Maybe it has something to do with ownership rights and all--I don't know all the inside stories to their vast "empire"... but I will say that save just a few of their early morning kiddie shows, we don't watch much of anything else on their channel to speak of.

Ok--stepping down from the old soap box...please carry on.

rohanaka,

I think several years back Disney made a conscious effort to focus it's cable channel on new younger viewers and it got rid of what few vestiges of "classic Disney" remained on their channel. I think a classic Disney channel would be great. They have not only their movies but a wealth of programming from their Wonderful World of Disney television shows that ran for decades. I can't imagine Disney ever giving up the rights to anything they own. Maybe it is more lucrative for them to sell the stuff on DVD. Still their are countless television films and limited run serials that aired on their television series that would be great to see again. Some of these used to air late at night on the cable channel years ago. A classic Disney channel would be nice.

I agree that a Classic Disney channel would be very nice. I would love a chance to watch all those old Wonderful World of Disney TV shows.

But I would definitely expect that they would show UNEDITED versions of their old animated features, like I mentioned before, including *Melody Time* and *Fantasia*. Even if they were preceded by some disclaimer about how they don't condone the racial stereotypes or the use of tobacco by some of their chracters.

molo14 wrote: A classic Disney channel would be nice.

Yeah, it would be great. Except I think Disney is too scared that people will pirate copy the classic animated films off TV and hurt the DVD sales. I think this is why they are only releasing the "lesser" live action films to other channels.

Which brings up a good point. Since they are so scared about broadcasting potentially offensive material, why not keep the "original, unsensored" versions for their DVD releases? That way, they could broadcast the altered versions for the masses and still make a killing selling the unsensored versions.

AVGeeks has a great collection of ca 40's-50's Disney animated educational films. It's a riot to see how they skirt around the issue of homosexuality in the VD one.

Message was edited by: TikiSoo

tiki soo,

Thanks for mentioning AVGeeks. Hadn't heard of them, I'll have to check it out. I have spent years trying to uncover old classic cartoons like "Once Upon a Wintertime" and "Jimmy Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet" and I'm afraid Disney just **** me off with their marketing. To release and withdraw in relative short order does not endear me to them.. No wonder the local production working stiffs refer to it as "the Evil Empire"...

Maybe it is more lucrative for them to sell the stuff on DVD

I think you hit the nail on the head...but A Classic Channel is a nice dream anyway. Maybe I will go wish upon a star--that is their theme song after all! :-)

I will be happy if either TCM shows Disney's "Ballerina", a charming little movie from the early Sixties, set in Denmark, or Disney releases it on DVD. I only saw it twice on the Disney Vault program, before The Disney Channel changed its program and stopped showing their older stuff. I love that movie, and I've been unable to find it anywhere else.

I was going to suggest Disney's 1964 version of *Emil and the Detectives*, but after doing a bit of searching on IMDb, now I'd really like to see TCM get the [1931|http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0021836/] version. It's the original German version, with a screenplay co-credit going to Billy Wilder -- and uncredited in the screenplay is... *Emeric Pressburger*.

It sounds like a good choice for TCM Imports (although barring that, does anybody know if the 1935 Gaumont version survives?)

I think you hit the nail on the head...but A Classic Channel is a nice dream anyway>>

When the Disney Channel first debuted all those years ago, it devoted a fair amount of air time to some of its classic shows such as the Mouseketeer Club, Spin and Marty and other great Disney programs that many of us grew up with.

But they always were leery of running the really good stuff knowing that people would tape them and be less inclined to buy the VHS tapes (the standard back then).

Since then, the Disney Channel has gone more mainstream and away from its classic programming.

The really cool stuff that many of us grew up with is available from their "Treasures" series but I doubt that we will ever see it on the Disney Channel these days.

*But I would definitely expect that they would show UNEDITED versions of their old animated features, like I mentioned before, including Melody Time and Fantasia. Even if they were preceded by some disclaimer about how they don't condone the racial stereotypes or the use of tobacco by some of their chracters.*

Film Fatale,

I agree. I bought *Fantasia* when it first came out so I believe it is unedited but it's so old (VHS) it doesn't play well anymore. I bought *Melody Time* on DVD recently so I guess that has been edited. Their marketing and distribution drive me batty anyway. I have *So Dear To My Heart* on VHS. It was announced that it was going to be released on DVD years ago but it never was. I don't think there are any content issues with that one. I naively tried to back it up on DVD with my DVD recorder but of course the copyright protection kicked right in. You can't put anything over on Disney. This is a film they actually aired on the Disney channel late at night back in the mid-nineties. There are a number of Disney films that have been released in the UK but not here.I think I will end up hanging on to my VCR just so I can play my Disney tapes that are unedited and/or unavailable on DVD.

Fantasia has never been released unedited whether on VHS or DVD or laserdisc. I believe the cuts were made in the Beethoven segment in the '70s or '80s. I first saw the film in the early '80s and the cuts were already there. What a shame!

jon

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

No wonder the local production working stiffs refer to it as "the Evil Empire"...

Haha All the animaters I know who subcontract with Disney call them "The Mouse Nazis". Dirty little secret too, that Disney just outsources much of their animation.

And yeah, check out AV Geeks. They are my preservation heros. They actually have a copy of an obscure Czech short I saw as a kid in 1970 that inspired me to persue my chosen field.