Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LawrenceA

October 2018 schedule is up

Rita was probably selected for her 100th birthday. I’m glad someone non-horror was selected. I love Rita Hayworth, im looking forward to perusing the schedule to see what was chosen. 

• Like 2

Horror fans need not complain about the SOTM choice, as they are also doing a revolving Star of the Month on Wednesdays featuring horror luminaries Lon Chaney Sr., Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi.

Not a lot on the schedule to interest me. I only made note of 14 to record for the month, and many of those I could just stream now if I were so inclined. 

• Tunes of Glory (1960)
  • The Horse's Mouth (1958)
  • Funeral Parade of Roses (1970)
  • The Damned Don't Cry (1950)
  • Rembrandt (1936)
  • Pharaoh's Curse (1957)
  • The Story on Page One (1960)
  • Night Monster (1942)
  • Man Alive (1946)
  • A Man for All Seasons (1988)
  • The Moonshine War (1970)
  • Berserk! (1967)
  • Follow Me Quietly (1949)
  • The Frozen Dead (1966)

58 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Horror fans need not complain about the SOTM choice, as they are also doing a revolving Star of the Month on Wednesdays featuring horror luminaries Lon Chaney Sr., Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, and Bela Lugosi.

Not a lot on the schedule to interest me. I only made note of 14 to record for the month, and many of those I could just stream now if I were so inclined. 

• Tunes of Glory (1960)
  • The Horse's Mouth (1958)
  • Funeral Parade of Roses (1970)
  • The Damned Don't Cry (1950)
  • Rembrandt (1936)
  • Pharaoh's Curse (1957)
  • The Story on Page One (1960)
  • Night Monster (1942)
  • Man Alive (1946)
  • A Man for All Seasons (1988)
  • The Moonshine War (1970)
  • Berserk! (1967)
  • Follow Me Quietly (1949)
  • The Frozen Dead (1966)

"The Horse's Mouth" is one of the really great films to explore the artist's psyche, or state of insanity!

• Like 1

I see that TCM has scheduled "Lilac Time" with Colleen Moore and Gary Cooper for 6am on Wednesday 10/24. They had it scheduled about three years ago then pulled it off the schedule just a few weeks before it was to air. I won't hold my breath that they will surely show it this time around but I'll be ecstatic if they do. I don't know why they would schedule it in the early morning; it's worthy of a primetime viewing. And I'm almost positive it's never been shown on TCM before.

I'll be happy to see "Let's Make It Legal" on Saturday 10/6 at 8pm. It's a TCM premiere with Claudette Colbert and early supporting roles for both Marilyn Monroe and Robert Wagner. 

I don't understand why TCM would schedule "The Damned Don't Cry" twice in the same day. They have it scheduled for Sunday 10/24 at 12:30am and again at 10am the same day. Programmer blooper?

2 minutes ago, midnight08 said:

I see that TCM has scheduled "Lilac Time" with Colleen Moore and Gary Cooper for 6am on Wednesday 10/24. They had it scheduled about three years ago then pulled it off the schedule just a few weeks before it was to air. I won't hold my breath that they will surely show it this time around but I'll be ecstatic if they do. I don't know why they would schedule it in the early morning; it's worthy of a primetime viewing. And I'm almost positive it's never been shown on TCM before.

I'll be happy to see "Let's Make It Legal" on Saturday 10/6 at 8pm. It's a TCM premiere with Claudette Colbert and early supporting roles for both Marilyn Monroe and Robert Wagner. 

I don't understand why TCM would schedule "The Damned Don't Cry" twice in the same day. They have it scheduled for Sunday 10/24 at 12:30am and again at 10am the same day. Programmer blooper?

Is it a noir? Those sound like the Noir Alley timeslots. 

2 hours ago, jakeem said:

Image result for the godfather gifs

At least with Google Chrome, if you right-click the image, you can search for more of the same. There are more. I get that way when the bottle is empty. I can talk like that, but not with my mouth full of toilet paper.

Nice month. Good horror and a few old non-horror favorites:

My Gal Sal -- a favorite Hayworth film

Night Train to Munich/The Lady Vanishes: Caldicott and Charters double bill!

Wicked Lady -- Great 40s British film.

Mummy’s Hand, Ghost, Curse
Mrs. Miniver
Pauline at the Beach -- Great Rohmer
Horror Hotel
Navy Blues -- A favorite from the Million Dollar Movie days. Ann Sheridan singing  "In Waikiki" is a highlight.
King Lear (My old friend Irene Worth as Goneril)
Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy -- well, at least we got one Mexican horror!
A Room with a View
The Old Dark House
Die Monster Die
Carry On Screaming -- a rare Carry On that I haven't seen.
The Monster and the Girl

horrorhotel5.jpg

Patricia Jessel gives one of the great performances in any horror film in Horror Hotel (City of the Dead).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Carry On Screaming -- a rare Carry On that I haven't seen.

And that's the only one that I have seen!

Carry-On-Screaming.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like more of the usual films they schedule around October but I don't mind because it gets you in the holiday mood. Also I'm really glad to see laurel and Hardy movies scheduled for October 30th. I also usually see Desert Nights whenever it is on. That's a good one.

Tunes of Glory is a really good film with powerhouse performances from Alec Guiness and John Mills, reuniting a little more than a dozen years after they made Great Expectations. First time on TCM in seven years!

• Like 2

The first night of Rita's SOTM run is a pretty impressive outside-the-TCM-library lineup, with three Columbia films and two from 20th Century Fox to kick things off (October 2).

October 4 is a mystery night so far. Possibly Treasures from the Disney Vaults night?

Edit: Actually, it appears the primetime schedule for every Thursday of the month is not yet set! That's intriguing.

I noticed the glaring omission of the original MUMMY  1932 with BORIS KARLOFF IS MISSING FROM THE MUMMY series that is playing in October.  It does not make sense.  Not to including the pivoaol Mummy film is shocking.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arpirose said:

I noticed the glaring omission of the original MUMMY  1932 with BORIS KARLOFF IS MISSING FROM THE MUMMY series that is playing in October.  It does not make sense.  Not to including the pivoaol Mummy film is shocking.

The 1932 version can be streamed on Starz. 

Isn't Treasures from the Disney Vault every three months?  So there should be one in September (I haven't looked at the schedule yet).

I'm sorry I must have hit post twice for my comment to double-post.

At least I'm not a Korean spammer, though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I'm sorry I must have hit post twice for my comment to double-post.

At least I'm not a Korean spammer, though.

If you were you'd  have a user name like gobbledygook123.

• Haha 1

With Rita Hayworth as SOTM I was hoping to maybe see "Girls Can Play" (1937). The copy I have isn't in great shape, so maybe it is in the same boat as "Nine Girls" - no copy is available that is fit for broadcast.

18 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Isn't Treasures from the Disney Vault every three months?  So there should be one in September (I haven't looked at the schedule yet).

It's on in October, on the 15th.

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: TREASURES FROM THE DISNEY VAULT
8:00 PM

adventure

8:00 PM

Magician Mickey (1937)

10:15 PM

10:15 PM

12:15 AM

horror
Black Hole, The (1979)

2:00 AM

Pluto's Sweater (1949)

4:00 AM

I'm loving the chance to see 'The Frozen Dead' again after many, many years.

As I recall, its Nazi resurrection theme made it objectionable to some people way back when.

Did you know that American distributors made the prints in black and white for its theatrical distribution just to save money on film stock? I wonder if TCM will show the original color version.

".....bury me.....bury me....."

So, I'm guessing the plan is for every Thursday primetime to be linked thematically, and that TCM is scrambling to see what films they can and can't secure for whatever this theme will be. Guess we'll just have to keep checking in.