Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT (1927)/THE HYPNOTIST May yet Survive???

Well, LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT might still be another hoax, but this long un-seen Tod Browning/Chaney film being restored and scored recently, most certainly is not!

Here are the opening and closing creits to the new restoration of THE BLACKBIRD (1926). Listed in the TCM Movie Data Base as THE BLACK BIRD. Three seperate words. I don't know why? Maybe this is why the staff had trouble finding it though? Now if you want to see this movie on TCM in October in place of THE MONSTER which is currently scheduled please let our TCM know about it Thank you.

MGM-LionHere.jpg

BlackBirdOpeningCredit.jpg

TodBrowningDirectorCredit.jpg

BlackBird-CastList.jpg

ClosingCredits.jpg

Productioncredits.jpg

PeopleToThankYourNameInHere.jpg

belong to an archivist list serve and we have been talking all morning about it.

I contacted an archivist who used to work at the Jefferson vault back in the 1980s at the time the writer says he found the lost print.

According to the archivist I contacted, there was never any nitrate film stored at the Jefferson vault nor did the MGM nitrate films go to UCLA Film and TV Archive as the writer purports.

The surviving MGM nitrate films have been stored at Eastman House since the 1970s.

If I get any more info I will keep you posted!

I joined these forums basically to make sure the word was out! If it's true, it would be amazing (I'm always happy when old movies get copied -- even obscure ones that were bad.) Here's hoping it gets copied before it rots.

Godgifu,

Err, how do you know LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT is bad? And THE BLACKBIRD is an excellent film, I have seen it. Please let your voice be heard on the TCM-Movie Data Base? Thanks.

Incidentally, Warner's put off restoring both SYTHETIC SIN, and WHY BE GOOD? For another year! The newly uncovered prints are Silver Nitrate! By the time they get to them it could be to late! Raise a serious ruckus about this too!

I wasn't necessarily saying London After Midnight is bad (who would know?) I was saying all silent movies, not just famous ones, should be saved.

And also implying a bit that even if it's a false lead and this Hypnotist movie is something else completely, it should still be copied and preserved.

Godgifu

Sorry, didn't mean to get on your bad side. I agree with you that all the films should be saved, while they still can be! That's why I want something done with this film before it is to late! Not a lost film, Warner's still own's this picture!

ThePatentLeatherKid_MoviePoster1927.jpg

I have seen this movie, it is amazing. For the past year, and a half, I have been trying to get Warner's to do something with it. Barthelmess was nominated for a Best Actor Oscar in the First year of the Awards. Though almost completely forgotten today. THE PATENT LEATHER KID was a blockbuster film at the time.

I went and asked for London After Midnight to be shown on TCM. I've only seen stills but they look great. I'd love to see this film. Isn't it great that so many of these silents are being found? I mean Beyond the Rocks, an uncut Metropolis found and now this!

WOW fantastic!

I went and asked for London After Midnight to be shown on TCM. I've only seen stills but they look great. I'd love to see this film. Isn't it great that so many of these silents are being found? I mean Beyond the Rocks, an uncut Metropolis found and now this!>>

Vilma,

Unfortunately, *LAM* has not been found. The author of the piece at Horrordrunx says he found the film twenty some odd years ago, held it in his hands, relabeled it and then put it back on the shelf.

The vault where he found the film has since been moved and if the film was ever there (and that's a big if right now), it got lost again in the move.

An archivist that I spoke with who worked at that vault during the 1980s told me that no nitrate films were stored at the Jefferson facility and that all of MGM's nitrate films had been stored since the 1970s at the Eastman House in New York (not UCLA as the writer of the piece says).

So, until further proof is found *LAM* remains a lost film.

> {quote:title=VilmaBanky wrote:}{quote}

> I went and asked for London After Midnight to be shown on TCM. I've only seen stills but they look great. I'd love to see this film. Isn't it great that so many of these silents are being found? I mean Beyond the Rocks, an uncut Metropolis found and now this!

>

>

> WOW fantastic!

At this point, that would just have them showing their "recreation" again (It's about 45 minutes of still photos.)

The guy's announcement of having found the film is mostly just a hue and cry so someone will recheck for the film he had seen, since it's probably been moved to UCLA and is still mislabled.

I have to say, the more I hear the less hopeful I am. It sounds like if anyone finds anything it's going to be at best an incomplete print of LAM (though having 2/3rds of the film would still be an improvement over what we have now.) And as I said before, the other possibility that it's a different forgotten movie called The Hyptonist would still be a nice find in any case.

Message was edited by: Godgifu

Godgifu,

Here is the biggest problem with this whole story in my mind. I have not heard anyone else mention this, but it was the very first thing that I thought of when reading it on late Thursday afternoon,

I'm quite sure that Kevin Brownlow, and Patrick Stansbury were given free access to the entire collection of Chaney films at Eastman House, and what ever other locations they use by Warner's in 1999 or 2000, when He produced his documentary on the man for TCM "LON CHANEY: A THOUSAND FACES".

Now, It seems highly unlikely, if a mis-named print were laying around someplace, that Brownlow, and his entire Photo-play Productions staff would have just glanced over it??? I mean, this is one of the first titles, if not the very first, they would have been hunting for!

Meantime, Have you voted, and requested THE BLACK BIRD, TELL IT TO THE MARINES, and others?

LondonAfterMidnightMoviePosterLonCh.jpg

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> I'm quite sure that Kevin Brownlow, and Patrick Stansbury were given free access to the entire collection of Chaney films at Eastman House, and what ever other locations they use by Warner's in 1999 or 2000, when He produced his documentary on the man for TCM "LON CHANEY: A THOUSAND FACES".

>

> Now, It seems highly unlikely, if a mis-named print were laying around someplace, that Brownlow, and his entire Photo-play Productions staff would have just glanced over it??? I mean, this is one of the first titles, if not the very first, they would have been hunting for!

I can imagine Brownlow and his crew figuring "oh, it's lost, why waste time looking for it?" or at least not looking very hard, by that logic. The part that to me sounds suspicious is where this Sid guy mentions it was scheduled to run on TV a couple years after he pointed the film out, but then the run was pulled relatively last minute. If this is correct, then that sounds like he was taken seriously, and the station even went so far as to schedule a showing, but then found something wrong -- either it was the wrong movie, incomplete, or perhaps already was too badly damaged to show. (Though in the latter case, if it's true the same film was seen in storage about 4 years ago, then it's unlikely it would have been kept were major deterioration the trouble.)

Someone else also pointed out that if he figured the film was complete based on an assumption of 18 frames per second, then almost definitely it's missing something because a movie made as late as 1927 wouldn't have had such a low frame rate.

Godgifu,

If AMC (which is the channel SidTerror refers to in his article) had advertised a run of *LAM* in the early 1990s it would have garnered notice from the media back then.

But no one picked up the story that the channel was going to run one of the most sought after lost films of all time and then didn't.

It would have been a big moment in AMC's broadcast history and they would have been crowing about having access to the film as well.

As for Brownlow, Stansbury and the Photoplay staff, Kevin Brownlow is one of the most respected preservationists in the world. He is known for his dedication to the films he restores and the documentaries he creates.

He has a reputation for scouring international archives in search of clues and lost footage.

His dedication to *LAM* would have been equally as high.

Another person who scoured the archives and especially the vaults of Turner/Time-Warner was Richard Schmidlin who collaborated with TCM on the stills recreation of *LAM*. He, too, found no trace of the film and it wasn't for lack of trying.

One of the other things that bothers me about all of this is the reference to the recently found footage of *Metropolis* as the basis for believing this.

The problem with that leap is that the woman who found the missing print of *Metropolis* actually took the time to make sure she had the lost footage (including taking the print to the Lang institute in Germany) before announcing to the world that it had been found.

About METROPOLIS, that's correct.

We were fortunate that the Manuel Pe?a Rodr?guez entire collection was copied (by the Fundaci?n Nacional de las Artes) to 16mm when the original 35mm print began to decompose in the seventies.

Pe?a Rodr?guez also produced a rare compilation of extremely primitive European and American films that the (mediocre) Argentine cable channel "Volver" plays once in a while but I can't tape, unfortunately.

METROPOLIS is hosted in the Pablo Ducr?s Hicken film museum. In the late twenties and early thirties, Ducr?s Hicken frequently wrote articles for the La Naci?n newspaper telling the story of the primitive film featuring a lot of stills from them, although not writing about how those movies ever made it into Argentina.

The guy's announcement of having found the film is mostly just a hue and cry so someone will recheck for the film he had seen, since it's probably been moved to UCLA and is still mislabled.>>

Godgifu,

A respected archivist, Richard May, who worked at the Turner/Jefferson vault during the time period that Sid Terror writes about, has said that no nitrate film was stored at that vault and that MGM had moved all its nitrate assets to the Eastman House back in the 1970s. (Whereas Sid purports that they were moved to UCLA in 1996 after the merger with Time-Warner).

I'll be curious to see what Mr. Terror has to say upon his return later today. I would hope that he followed his own advice and contacted the various institutes and will post their responses.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

I found a reply from Ted Newsom (the guy who was working at the MGM

archive and corroborates Terror's story on Horrodrunx).

He recaps his end of the scenario about finding the listing sans

assets or vault location in the early 2000s and then ends with this:

"Further point of reference: I have told this before (and it's pretty

much the same story every time), on CHFB, on Latarnia, and on Scarlet

Street, so my end of it is pretty much in the public domain... if,

say, someone wanted to do an elaborate prequel to it and use my story

as a verification...

Yah jes' never know... "

Elaborate prequel? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you! NOT!

This is beginning to sound like boy found film, boy lost film but boy got girl. And lots of hits to a relatively new website.

Amazing what some folks will do to get their websites noticed.

• 11 years later...