Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Film_Fatale

Oliver Stone's "W."

This guy will need a job come January 2009. Would you hire anyone with such a record?

RESUME

GEORGE W. BUSH

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Washington, DC 20520

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE

LAW ENFORCEMENT

I was arrested in Kennebunkport, Maine, in 1976 for driving under the influence of alcohol. I pled guilty, paid a fine, and had my driver?s license suspended for 30 days. My Texas driving record has been ?lost? and is not available.

MILITARY

I joined the Texas Air National Guard and went AWOL. I

refused to take a drug test or answer any questions about my drug use. By joining the Texas Air National Guard, I was able to avoid combat duty in Vietnam .

COLLEGE

I graduated from Yale University with a low C average. I was a cheerleader.

PAST WORK EXPERIENCE

I ran for U.S. Congress and lost. I began my career in the oil business in Midland, Texas, in 1975. I bought an oil company, but couldn't find any oil in Texas. The company went bankrupt shortly after I sold all my stock.

I bought the Texas Rangers baseball team in a sweetheart deal that took land using taxpayer money. With the help of my father and our friends in the oil industry, including Enron CEO Ken Lay, I was elected governor of Texas.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS GOVERNOR OF TEXAS

I changed Texas pollution laws to favor power and oil companies, making Texas the most polluted state in the Union. During my tenure, Houston replaced Los Angeles as the most smog-ridden city in America. I cut taxes and bankrupted the Texas treasury to the tune of billions in borrowed money. I set the record for the most executions by any governor in American history. With the help of my brother, the governor of Florida, and my father's appointments to the Supreme Court, I became President after losing by over 500,000 votes.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS AS PRESIDENT

I am the first President in U.S. history to enter office with a criminal record. I invaded and occupied two countries at a continuing cost of over one billion dollars per week. I spent the U.S. surplus and effectively bankrupted the U.S. Treasury. I shattered the record for the largest annual deficit in U.S. history. I set an economic record for most private bankruptcies filed in any 12-month period. I set the all-time record for most foreclosures in a 12-month period. I set the all-time record for the biggest drop in the history of the U.S. stock market.

In my first year in office, over 2 million Americans lost their jobs and that trend continues every month.

I'm proud that the members of my cabinet are the richest of any administration in U.S. history. My "poorest millionaire," Condoleeza Rice, had a Chevron oil tanker named after her. I set the record for most campaign fund-raising trips by a U.S. President. I am the all-time U.S. and world record-holder for receiving the most corporate campaign donations. My largest lifetime campaign contributor, and one of my best friends, Kenneth Lay, presided over the largest corporate

bankruptcy fraud in U.S. History, Enron.

My political party used Enron private jets and corporate attorneys to assure my success with the U.S. Supreme Court during my election decision. I have protected my friends at Enron and Halliburton against investigation or prosecution. More time and money was spent investigating the Monica Lewinsky affair than has been spent investigating one of the biggest corporate rip- offs in history.

I presided over the biggest energy crisis in U.S.history and refused to intervene when corruption involving the oil industry was revealed. I presided over the highest gasoline prices in U.S.history. I changed the U.S. policy to allow convicted criminals to be awarded government contracts. I created the Ministry of Homeland Security, the largest bureaucracy in the history of the United States government.

I've broken more international treaties than any President in U.S. history. I am the first President in U.S. history to have the United Nations remove the U.S. from the Human Rights Commission.

I withdrew the U.S. from the World Court of Law. I refused to allow inspectors access to U.S. "prisoners of war" detainees and thereby have refused to abide by the Geneva Convention. I am the first President in history to refuse United Nations election inspectors (during the 2002 U.S. election). I set the record for fewest numbers of press conferences of any President since the advent of television. I set the all-time record for most days on vacation in any one-year period. After taking off the entire month of August, I presided over the worst security failure in U.S. history. I garnered the most sympathy for the U.S. after the World Trade Center attacks and less than a year later made the U.S. the most hated country in the world, the largest failure of diplomacy in world history.

I have set the all-time record for most people worldwide to simultaneously protest me in public venues (15 million people), shattering the record for protests against any person in the history of mankind.

I am the first President in U.S. history to order an unprovoked, pre-emptive attack and the military occupation of a sovereign

nation. I did so against the will of the United Nations, the majority of U.S. citizens, and the world community. I have cut health care benefits for war veterans and support a cut in duty benefits for active duty troops and their families-in-wartime. In my State of the Union Address, I lied about our reasons for attacking Iraq and then blamed the lies on our British friends. I am the first President in history to have a majority of Europeans (71%) view my presidency as the biggest threat to world peace and security. I have so far failed to fulfill my pledge to bring Osama Bin Laden [sic] to justice.

RECORDS AND REFERENCES

All records of my tenure as governor of Texas are now in my father's library, sealed and unavailable for public view. All records of SEC investigations into my insider trading and my bankrupt companies are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public view. All records or minutes from meetings that I, or my Vice-President, attended regarding public energy policy are sealed in secrecy and unavailable for public review. I am a member of the Republican Party.

Metromaniac, you are very typical. Again, no references to back you up. Again, just another blatant attack on Bush. Also, whether you choose to believe it or not, the people of America said "Let's go to war" along with Bush. He had the support of the people. And guess where Bush was during the attacks of 9/11. He was reading a book to a class of children when he was notified about what was going on. He did not make a mistake. All of you listen to me now. Bush has done

everything that he could in his presidency, but the things that have happened have been out of Bush's hands. When I think of Bush, I think of Herbert Hoover. Hoover took over during the stock market crash of 1929. Guess who was blamed for the Great Depression that followed and the stock market crashing, Herbert J. Hoover. Now every little thing that happens like the prisoners of war and the geneva convention incident are blamed on Bush even though he did not have authority

over what happened down there.

Message was edited by: ask

*George Bush*

*Someone who*

1. Turned the largest US surplus into the largest deficit in American history, then gives tax cuts when he should be raising taxes to get more money for the country. (And of course, he only gives tax cuts to all of his rich buddies.)

2. Blamed bin Laden for 9/11 (which is okay), but when he couldn't find him, made Americans forget about him by diverting their attention to Saddam Hussein, who had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11. Has he found bin Laden? Has he found any WMDs? Didn't think so.

3. Feels the need to stick his nose in Iraq's business and "improve" their government while bombing and completely destroying Iraq-it's obvious it's just an excuse to go to war.

4. Lies about there being NO terrorist attacks since 9/11, when there have been quite a few that he covers up or makes America forget about. (Like that anthrax threat a few years ago for example.)

5. Passes the Patriot Act to keep America safe from terrorists while arresting people who aren't terrorists, never catching the people who are, and violating SIX AMENDMENTS of the Constitution.

6. Passes "Clean Air Act" which actually makes the air dirtier.

7. Makes every country in the world besides Britain and Poland hate us.

8. Quits the Kyoto Protocol because it would make his rich buddies actually spend some money to reduce global warming, and God forbid anyone has to spend money.

9. Throws ultimatums at the American people that only a complete idiot could fall for (and a lot have) like "You're with us or you're with the terrorists" and basically just gets America to be loyal to him out of fear.

10. Only gets into Yale because of his father and passes with a C- average.

11. Has said enough stupid things to fill 265 pages of "Bushisms" books.

12. Gets elected into office after losing by over 10,000 votes. Do you think it's a coincidence that his brother was the governor of the state that the whole election depended on in 2000??

George Bush is a COMPLETE **** **** who never should have been elected, is one of the worst people in the country to earn the job of president and definitely is the worst president we have ever had or will ever have.

Thanks,

Urban Dictionary.

Okay, Celluloid Kid, here again, you're doing the same as your predecessors. Urban Dictionary is one of those websites that posts opinions, not actual fact. Everything you wrote was just someone's opinion on today's current situation. Again, it's just more blatant attacks on a man who

sits in an office. Also, everyone knows that global warming doesn't exist. That was just invented by environmentalists as a huge marketing scheme. It's typical leftist trickery to think that Al Gore had that election won because he was the one who ordered the recount in the first place. They never said there were no terrorist attacks. I hate to burst your bubble but most of the countries of the world have always resented us and that stems back to World War 2. You probably don't know this but the Kyoto Protocol costs more money to maintain than let go. The Patriot Act was necessary at the time. The rest is garbage.

*August 20, 2008*

*George W. Bush's Overall Job Approval Up to Highest Level Since January*

George W. Bush's overall job approval is at 30%, the highest level recorded since January in monthly American Research Group polling, according to the latest survey from the American Research Group.

Among all Americans, 30% approve of the way Bush is handling his job as president and 64% disapprove. When it comes to Bush's handling of the economy, 25% approve and 69% disapprove.

Among Americans registered to vote, 31% approve of the way Bush is handling his job as president and 63% disapprove. When it comes to the way Bush is handling the economy, 25% of registered voters approve of the way Bush is handling the economy and 69% disapprove.

A total of 60% of Americans say the national economy is getting worse, which is down from 76% in July, and 36% say their household financial situations are getting worse, which is down from 61% in July. A total of 18% of Americans say the national economy is getting better, which is up from 3% in July, and 19% say their household financial situations are getting better, which is up from 7% in July.

The results presented here are based on 1,100 completed telephone interviews conducted among a nationwide random sample of adults 18 years and older. The interviews were completed August 16 through 19, 2008. The theoretical margin of error for the total sample is plus or minus 2.6 percentage points, 95% of the time, on questions where opinion is evenly split.

Overall, 30% of Americans say that they approve of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president, 64% disapprove, and 6% are undecided.

I'm sorry but I'm not alone here...I don't support Bush, & our economy is bad, the job market is bad etc. I can't find 1 good to support Bush about!

This is article is is my current Rolling Stone Magazine!

*The Worst President in History?*

*One of America's leading historians assesses George W. Bush*

*Flashback: Bush in '99 -- We Warned You!*

George W. Bush's presidency appears headed for colossal historical disgrace. Barring a cataclysmic event on the order of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, after which the public might rally around the White House once again, there seems to be little the administration can do to avoid being ranked on the lowest tier of U.S. presidents. And that may be the best-case scenario. Many historians are now wondering whether Bush, in fact, will be remembered as the very worst president in all of American history.

From time to time, after hours, I kick back with my colleagues at Princeton to argue idly about which president really was the worst of them all. For years, these perennial debates have largely focused on the same handful of chief executives whom national polls of historians, from across the ideological and political spectrum, routinely cite as the bottom of the presidential barrel. Was the lousiest James Buchanan, who, confronted with Southern secession in 1860, dithered to a degree that, as his most recent biographer has said, probably amounted to disloyalty -- and who handed to his successor, Abraham Lincoln, a nation already torn asunder? Was it Lincoln's successor, Andrew Johnson, who actively sided with former Confederates and undermined Reconstruction? What about the amiably incompetent Warren G. Harding, whose administration was fabulously corrupt? Or, though he has his defenders, Herbert Hoover, who tried some reforms but remained imprisoned in his own outmoded individualist ethic and collapsed under the weight of the stock-market crash of 1929 and the Depression's onset? The younger historians always put in a word for Richard M. Nixon, the only American president forced to resign from office.

Now, though, George W. Bush is in serious contention for the title of worst ever. In early 2004, an informal survey of 415 historians conducted by the nonpartisan History News Network found that eighty-one percent considered the Bush administration a "failure." Among those who called Bush a success, many gave the president high marks only for his ability to mobilize public support and get Congress to go along with what one historian called the administration's "pursuit of disastrous policies." In fact, roughly one in ten of those who called Bush a success was being facetious, rating him only as the best president since Bill Clinton -- a category in which Bush is the only contestant.

The lopsided decision of historians should give everyone pause. Contrary to popular stereotypes, historians are generally a cautious bunch. We assess the past from widely divergent points of view and are deeply concerned about being viewed as fair and accurate by our colleagues. When we make historical judgments, we are acting not as voters or even pundits, but as scholars who must evaluate all the evidence, good, bad or indifferent. Separate surveys, conducted by those perceived as conservatives as well as liberals, show remarkable unanimity about who the best and worst presidents have been.

Historians do tend, as a group, to be far more liberal than the citizenry as a whole -- a fact the president's admirers have seized on to dismiss the poll results as transparently biased. One pro-Bush historian said the survey revealed more about "the current crop of history professors" than about Bush or about Bush's eventual standing. But if historians were simply motivated by a strong collective liberal bias, they might be expected to call Bush the worst president since his father, or Ronald Reagan, or Nixon. Instead, more than half of those polled -- and nearly three-fourths of those who gave Bush a negative rating -- reached back before Nixon to find a president they considered as miserable as Bush. The presidents most commonly linked with Bush included Hoover, Andrew Johnson and Buchanan. Twelve percent of the historians polled -- nearly as many as those who rated Bush a success -- flatly called Bush the worst president in American history. And these figures were gathered before the debacles over Hurricane Katrina, Bush's role in the Valerie Plame leak affair and the deterioration of the situation in Iraq. Were the historians polled today, that figure would certainly be higher.

Even worse for the president, the general public, having once given Bush the highest approval ratings ever recorded, now appears to be coming around to the dismal view held by most historians. To be sure, the president retains a considerable base of supporters who believe in and adore him, and who reject all criticism with a mixture of disbelief and fierce contempt -- about one-third of the electorate. (When the columnist Richard Reeves publicized the historians' poll last year and suggested it might have merit, he drew thousands of abusive replies that called him an idiot and that praised Bush as, in one writer's words, "a Christian who actually acts on his deeply held beliefs.") Yet the ranks of the true believers have thinned dramatically. A majority of voters in forty-three states now disapprove of Bush's handling of his job. Since the commencement of reliable polling in the 1940s, only one twice-elected president has seen his ratings fall as low as Bush's in his second term: Richard Nixon, during the months preceding his resignation in 1974. No two-term president since polling began has fallen from such a height of popularity as Bush's (in the neighborhood of ninety percent, during the patriotic upswell following the 2001 attacks) to such a low (now in the midthirties). No president, including Harry Truman (whose ratings sometimes dipped below Nixonian levels), has experienced such a virtually unrelieved decline as Bush has since his high point. Apart from sharp but temporary upticks that followed the commencement of the Iraq war and the capture of Saddam Hussein, and a recovery during the weeks just before and after his re-election, the Bush trend has been a profile in fairly steady disillusionment.

How does any president's reputation sink so low? The reasons are best understood as the reverse of those that produce presidential greatness. In almost every survey of historians dating back to the 1940s, three presidents have emerged as supreme successes: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and Franklin D. Roosevelt. These were the men who guided the nation through what historians consider its greatest crises: the founding era after the ratification of the Constitution, the Civil War, and the Great Depression and Second World War. Presented with arduous, at times seemingly impossible circumstances, they rallied the nation, governed brilliantly and left the republic more secure than when they entered office.

Calamitous presidents, faced with enormous difficulties -- Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Hoover and now Bush -- have divided the nation, governed erratically and left the nation worse off. In each case, different factors contributed to the failure: disastrous domestic policies, foreign-policy blunders and military setbacks, executive misconduct, crises of credibility and public trust. Bush, however, is one of the rarities in presidential history: He has not only stumbled badly in every one of these key areas, he has also displayed a weakness common among the greatest presidential failures -- an unswerving adherence to a simplistic ideology that abjures deviation from dogma as heresy, thus preventing any pragmatic adjustment to changing realities. Repeatedly, Bush has undone himself, a failing revealed in each major area of presidential performance.

THE CREDIBILITY GAP

No previous president appears to have squandered the public's trust more than Bush has. In the 1840s, President James Polk gained a reputation for deviousness over his alleged manufacturing of the war with Mexico and his supposedly covert pro-slavery views. Abraham Lincoln, then an Illinois congressman, virtually labeled Polk a liar when he called him, from the floor of the House, "a bewildered, confounded and miserably perplexed man" and denounced the war as "from beginning to end, the sheerest deception." But the swift American victory in the war, Polk's decision to stick by his pledge to serve only one term and his sudden death shortly after leaving office spared him the ignominy over slavery that befell his successors in the 1850s. With more than two years to go in Bush's second term and no swift victory in sight, Bush's reputation will probably have no such reprieve.

The problems besetting Bush are of a more modern kind than Polk's, suited to the television age -- a crisis both in confidence and credibility. In 1965, Lyndon Johnson's Vietnam travails gave birth to the phrase "credibility gap," meaning the distance between a president's professions and the public's perceptions of reality. It took more than two years for Johnson's disapproval rating in the Gallup Poll to reach fifty-two percent in March 1968 -- a figure Bush long ago surpassed, but that was sufficient to persuade the proud LBJ not to seek re-election. Yet recently, just short of three years after Bush buoyantly declared "mission accomplished" in Iraq, his disapproval ratings have been running considerably higher than Johnson's, at about sixty percent. More than half the country now considers Bush dishonest and untrustworthy, and a decisive plurality consider him less trustworthy than his predecessor, Bill Clinton -- a figure still attacked by conservative zealots as "Slick Willie."

Previous modern presidents, including Truman, Reagan and Clinton, managed to reverse plummeting ratings and regain the public's trust by shifting attention away from political and policy setbacks, and by overhauling the White House's inner circles. But Bush's publicly expressed view that he has made no major mistakes, coupled with what even the conservative commentator William F. Buckley Jr. calls his "high-flown pronouncements" about failed policies, seems to foreclose the first option. Upping the ante in the Middle East and bombing Iranian nuclear sites, a strategy reportedly favored by some in the White House, could distract the public and gain Bush immediate political capital in advance of the 2006 midterm elections -- but in the long term might severely worsen the already dire situation in Iraq, especially among **** Muslims linked to the Iranians. And given Bush's ardent attachment to loyal aides, no matter how discredited, a major personnel shake-up is improbable, short of indictments. Replacing Andrew Card with Joshua Bolten as chief of staff -- a move announced by the president in March in a tone that sounded more like defiance than contrition -- represents a rededication to current policies and personnel, not a serious change. (Card, an old Bush family retainer, was widely considered more moderate than most of the men around the president and had little involvement in policy-making.) The power of Vice President Dick Cheney, meanwhile, remains uncurbed. Were Cheney to announce he is stepping down due to health problems, normally a polite pretext for a political removal, one can be reasonably certain it would be because Cheney actually did have grave health problems.

*BUSH AT WAR*

Until the twentieth century, American presidents managed foreign wars well -- including those presidents who prosecuted unpopular wars. James Madison had no support from Federalist New England at the outset of the War of 1812, and the discontent grew amid mounting military setbacks in 1813. But Federalist political overreaching, combined with a reversal of America's military fortunes and the negotiation of a peace with Britain, made Madison something of a hero again and ushered in a brief so-called Era of Good Feelings in which his Jeffersonian Republican Party coalition ruled virtually unopposed. The Mexican War under Polk was even more unpopular, but its quick and victorious conclusion redounded to Polk's favor -- much as the rapid American victory in the Spanish-American War helped William McKinley overcome anti-imperialist dissent.

rs.jpg

Thanks,

SEAN WILENTZ

Posted Apr 21, 2006

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/profile/story/9961300/the_worst_president_in_history

I'm sorry but a poll conducted by phone doesn't really prove anything. Now you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel. You see, polls conducted like, let's say the American Research Group, don't necessarily reflect what the people actually feel or believe. In fact many of these polls are manipulated to show numbers that aren't really accurate. You see, these polls operate by only calling people who say what the polls want them to say. Everyone else isn't included and lots of people are excluded from these polls. So basically they only represent a tiny number of people.

>Okay, Celluloid Kid, here again, you're doing the same as your predecessors. Urban Dictionary is one of those websites that posts opinions, not actual fact. Everything you wrote was just someone's opinion on today's current situation. Again, it's just more blatant attacks on a man who

>sits in an office. Also, everyone knows that global warming doesn't exist. That was just invented by environmentalists as a huge marketing scheme. It's typical leftist trickery to think that Al Gore had that election won because he was the one who ordered the recount in the first place. They never said there were no terrorist attacks. I hate to burst your bubble but most of the countries of the world have always resented us and that stems back to World War 2. You probably don't know this but the Kyoto Protocol costs more money to maintain than let go. The Patriot Act was necessary at the time. The rest is garbage

*Ditto*

Hang in there...

All of you Bush (i.e: the village idiot) apologists please read carefully: Everything that is psoted by myself & the Celluloid kid regarding Bush's resume is 100% verifiable to anyone who cares to do some real time research. Of course I realize that you right wing wackos really don't bother with facts because it might interfere with your ludicrous dogma, so please feel free to turn your attention back to ' Faux news' and get even stupider than you already are. And boy, is that ever monumentally STUPID !

Bob C.

OK, I swore I wouldn't get drawn into politics on this board, but this is too tempting. I'm basically a

left-leaning centrist and I see the following problems with both sides:

To the Democrats - Terrorists are not like car thieves or even the mafia. They do not deserve trials

in federal courts with endless appeals and paid-for attorneys so they can have a platform from

which to launch verbal attacks against this country. They are enemies out of uniform. They are

spies with murderous intent. They are lucky to be in Gitmo and not just given a court martial and

shot for being spies. Dubya gets that.

To the Republicans - Dubya talks pro-life to get religious blue collar workers to the polls so they can

pull the lever for him and then he wants them to scurry back to their end of town unless he

needs his bathroom cleaned. Dubya is only pro-life until the baby is born, then he couldn't care

less. As exhibit A I point to the so-called Bankruptcy Reform Act of 2005. You can't renegotiate a

mortgage on a first residence in bankruptcy but vacation homes are OK? Certain trusts usually

held by wealthy individuals are exempt in bankruptcy but regular savings accounts, are not? Tell

me who THAT law was written for!

Both sides have become held hostage to corporate entities for campaign funds due to the high

cost of being elected/re-elected, and the future looks dismal indeed.

End of tirade.

*10 reasons why George W. Bush is a bad president*

*He shouldn?t have been elected the first time and only reason he won the 2nd time was because we were in the middle of Iraq war he contrived probably just to get reelected.*

*He?s stupid. He can?t talk and is not a good leader. He?s not a role model anyone can look up to.*

*He does not inspire confidence that he is doing a good job or the right thing. Morons and idiots should be barred from public office because they are not able to handle complex tasks such as running the most powerful nation in the world.*

*He has strong ties to Oil and Gas companies, who think the best solution for becoming less dependant on Foriegn Oil is to invade other countries, spend hundreds of billions of dollars and thousands of American lives in a foolhardy task, rather than make a serious investment in next generation fuels.*

*His enviromental policy sucks. He thinks drilling in Alaska Artic preserve is ok. He thinks less restrictions on pollution is ok. He has made no effort to address the Kyoto treaty*.

*He vacations alot, which means he is lazy. He expects other people to the job for him. He always looks to blame other people for his mistakes. (Hurricane Katrina)*

*He is openly Christian and ties his religion too much to his politics. The USA is about equal representation and diversity. We need to work VERY hard on making people other religions feel like they are welcome in our culture. 9/11 and the backlash by anti-western fundamentalists is proof of this. Occupying another nation is NOT the best way to do this.*

*DMCA and the Patriot Act were responsible for the loss of personal freedoms resulting in corporate America and the federal government perscuting the American people unjustly*.

*Very, very bad economic policy resulting in a drastic rise of national debt. Privatizing Social Security is a really bad idea. http://zfacts.com/p/318.html*

*Other countries do not respect him. He is a poor representation of the quality of people who should be leading this nation.*

*Finially, I think he is a horrible president because he starts things but doesn?t finish them (Afganistan/Bin Laden) and also he makes bad decisions and doesn?t admit to them (Iraq).*

Thanks,

llbbl.com

>nodgnoc wrote...so please feel free to turn your attention back to ' Faux news' and get even stupider than you already are. And boy, is that ever monumentally STUPID !

The women are HOT on Fox Cable News...Dio you *know* what I *mean?*

Sarah Palin is gonna put it on ya, too...

I love conservative women...

Okay, an article from a Rolling Stones magazine doesn't really have much merit in this case. Everyone knows that the Rolling Stones and anyone employed by the Rolling Stones are all liberal democrats and do not give an unbiased opinion. So that whole article is pretty much worthless if you want an unbiased opinion about Bush.

Once again Celluloid Kid it is just one environmentalist whacko's opinion. I don't know how many times I have to say it but OPINION IS NOT FACT. All the material you have used has been someone's opinion. I haven't seen one actual fact yet. And your sources are very, very, very questionable. Contrary to what everyone seems to think, drilling is the only way to make us independent from foreign oil. Also, the only possible alternative fuels, salt water and hydrogen, are years away from even being developed. All the money in the world couldn't speed up the development process.

Message was edited by: ask

Referring back to my list of the Top Ten Things I've learned on the TCM Forums:

6. If you want to start an argument, do any of the following:

a. Mention George Bush, Bill Clinton, or some future president

b. Mention God (or don't mention God)

c. Point out how ghastly Kim Novak's eyebrows looked in Vertigo

d. Say "Hi, I'm new to the forums," while simultaneously starting 487 new threads

e. Declare that TCM stop showing newer films (see #3 for acceptable definitions of "newer").

f. Simply log in.

Okay, what does the Bankruptcy Reform Act have to do with pro-life? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Pro-life is about the keeping of children instead of choosing an abortion. The Bankruptcy Reform Act is designed to make it harder to file for bankruptcy because people were abusing that privilege. Now, you tell me what the connection between these two issues is.

>>Okay, an article from a Rolling Stones magazine doesn't really have much merit in this case. Everyone knows that the Rolling Stones and anyone employed by the Rolling Stones are all liberal democrats and do not give an unbiased opinion. So that whole article is pretty much worthless if you want an unbiased opinion about Bush.

You have got to be kidding. The magazine doesn't have anything to do with the group. The name of the publication is "Rolling Stone" - singular. It is not affiliated with the group in any manner.

Well, still, an article from a magazine that is known for its bias is not very reliable.

>>He was reading a book to a class of children when he was notified about what was going on. He did not make a mistake. All of you listen to me now. Bush has done everything that he could in his presidency, but the things that have happened have been out of Bush's hands. When I think of Bush, I think of Herbert Hoover. Hoover took over during the stock market crash of 1929. Guess who was blamed for the Great Depression that followed and the stock market crashing, Herbert J. Hoover.

Bush was not reading to the class, they were reading to him.

Hoover did not take over during the stock market crash, he was in office for over nine months when it happened. His failure to enact legislation early enough to combat the situation, preferring instead a "laissez-faire" approach because he claimed otherwise it would make people too dependent on government, is usually given as a primary factor in the rise of unemployment and failure of businesses.

I said "primary factor" and not sole, single, solitary factor. Just felt that I had to make the distinction. The early actions he did take, such as sending Mexicans back to Mexico (to increase opportunities for Americans) and putting tariffs on imported goods, did nothing to solve the problem and only caused harsh reactions from the international community.

Message was edited by: clore

Yes, but it has been sited that those first nine months were not a sufficient amount of time in which to do something about the stock market crash. Also, Hoover could not react sufficiently to the crash because he had to deal with the fall out of the Teapot Dome Scandal left over by Calvin Coolidge. This was a major distraction. Next time, learn your history a little better.

*"The Bankruptcy Reform Act is designed to make it harder to file for bankruptcy because people were abusing that privilege."* - 'ask'

Excuse me? It was a "privilege" to discharge all unsecured debt by declaring bankruptcy? Wow. I thought it was law - and part of the American tradition that everyone deserves a second chance.

Banks that _encouraged_ personal indebtedness by offering credit cards to every Tom, Dick and Harry - regardless of income or work history - begged for a change in the law so to remove their risk. Banks no longer wanted to be held responsible for their lending practices.

"It's not our fault we give "money" to folks that can't pay it back. Why should we lose money if someone loses a job due to illness? Or plant closure? Or divorce?"

They asked for and received a new policy that legislated "indentured servitude" for persons not able to pay their bills and whose future earnings will not belong to the worker - but to the banks.

This change in law only hurts American citizens and absolves the irresponsible predatory practices that are so profitble to the Banking Industry.

Banks are no longer financial institutions but debt institutions.

(see also - Home Morgatge Defaults)

What's next? The re-establishment of debtors' prison?

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

"Ooohh, I had a little guinea pig. I kept him on the shelf

with a little brownie camera so he could reproduce himself."

*F. McGee*

You know, this is kinda pathetic. You people can't come up with any reasonable arguments so instead you just start looking for things to argue. NOW THAT'S PATHETIC! This is almost as bad as the McCain/Obama campaigns.

>Clore wrote...Hoover did not take over during the stock market crash, he was in office for over nine months when it happened. His failure to enact legislation early enough to combat the situation, preferring instead a "laissez-faire" approach because he claimed otherwise it would make people too dependent on government, is usually given as a primary factor in the rise of unemployment and failure of businesses.

Not true...

Most establishment economist think the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act caused the Depression.

You do know that is about trade don't you?

Also, as Milton Friedman has pointed out, it was the Fed's wrong actions that caused the Depression.

Bad monetary policy...

He is a Nobel winner.

Ever read him?

In fairness, there are many positions taken as to what caused the Depression.

You have a typical lefty position that the government should have intervened and taken care of the problem.

You more than likely believe government is the *answer* to many of our problems...

I disagree with you entirely...

Message was edited by: JakeHolman

>>Yes, but it has been sited that those first nine months were not a sufficient amount of time in which to do something about the stock market crash. Also, Hoover could not react sufficiently to the crash because he had to deal with the fall out of the Teapot Dome Scandal left over by Calvin Coolidge. This was a major distraction. Next time, learn your history a little better.

I better learn my history a little better???

Hoover didn't have to deal with the Teapot Dome Scandal at all. The Supreme Court ruled on it in 1927 with the end result that the lands were returned to the control of the Navy.

As to those nine months not being a sufficient amount of time to do something about the stock market crash - well, duhhh, it hadn't happened yet. Since you're so unaware obviously, it occurred in October 1929 and Hoover was inaugurated in January 1929.

Go ahead, backpedal some more and tell me those sources that "sited (sic) that those first nine months were not a sufficient amount of time in which to do something about the stock market crash." Maybe there's a good excuse for your ignorance.

Hey Ask, you remind me of a good George Carlin quote"Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!?.

Hello Kyle in Hollywood. You are of course correct about the bankruptcy act. It's a bankers wet dream. I must admit this thread is a little more interesting than the usual "What's your favorite Katherine Hepburn movie?".BS, which is why I go on long sabbaticals from this forum.

Bob C.