Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Prowler (1951)

Moorman

They released THIS back in 1951 ?  Wow!!  This film is BRILLIANT!  There is soo much going on here that I don't know where to start.  Police officer Webb Garfield ( Van Heflin) and his partner answer a call about a suspected prowler at the residence of Susan Gilvray ( Evelyn Keyes).  Van Heflin is smitted by her and decides to come back on another occasion to try and chat her up.  He makes advances at her and Susan rebuffs him because she is married and taken back by the fact that he is a police officer and is hitting on her.    Susan is not your typical femme fatale.  She is quite the opposite.  She is the good girl who just wants to settle down and have a family.  

SPOILER ALERT:  Susan eventually breaks down to Webb's advances. The continued pressing that Webb did and her rebuffs were very authentic.  Excellent writing here.  The script was just fantastic.  From Susan's giving in to his advances all the way through to the end.  Van Heflin did a excellent job here.  His character kinda reminded me of a mixture of  Harry Powell from The Night of the Hunter and Abel from the recent film Lakeview Terrace. ( Samuel Jackson played a manic cop who terrorized a couple he initially was pretending to help.)

What really sticks out here is the subject matter that this film dove into.  From the adultery to the fact that its a police officer that is the manipulative con man combined a lot for a film back during that era.  The film became a cult hit in France and I'm pretty sure that if it hasn't already, it will be a cult hit here in America. The cinematography was perfect. The acting, the script, the music, everything was on point in this one. I rank this a solid 9.5 out of 10 and I'm seriously debating whether to give it my rare perfect 10...

jl3scx.jpg

mvhjjd.jpg

4if0ox.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Too bad it wasn't made around 1967.....

The film is almost perfect.  The fact it was made in the 50s' makes it even that more special. I spent half my time admiring the film and the other time wondering how in the heck that ANY of this got past the code... Its a great film...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Moorman said:

The film is almost perfect.  The fact it was made in the 50s' makes it even that more special. I spent half my time admiring the film and the other time wondering how in the heck that ANY of this got past the code... Its a great film...

It would have been even better without the code....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings