Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for good well thought out old mystery movies!

Robstaff

Any good old mysteries that kept you curious as heck to find out the REST of the story that might be on TCM (so I can watch)? Complex perhaps, movies that were really well thought out! ‘The Mask of Dimitrios’ was a good one (I thought), but I could have come up with a better ending. I’d have LOVED to have seen old Dimitrios disappear (again) after his supposed shooting, so that when the cops went upstairs, he was gone. Anyway...

Any response is welcome though. I could think of no better way of finding good old mysteries than to ask the people who took the time to sign up for the TCM community! This is the coolest thing! Don’t be shy! Thank You very much for taking the time to read this!

Welcome to the message boards Rob. Are there mystery films from certain decades you prefer?

Tomorrow TCM is airing three suspense mysteries starring Barbara Stanwyck-- GAMBLING LADY, LADY OF BURLESQUE and THE MAD MISS MANTON.

Of these three, I'd say LADY OF BURLESQUE is the best whodunit. The Manton movie is more of a screwball comedy with elements of mystery.

2 hours ago, Robstaff said:

Thank You very much for your response! Not necessarily any specific time frame. Just looking for ideas. I will be recording your suggestions. I’ve heard of those movies but never seen them!

Like I said they're airing on TCM tomorrow. I would definitely check out LADY OF BURLESQUE.

8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Like I said they're airing on TCM tomorrow. I would definitely check out LADY OF BURLESQUE.

Thanks for reminding me. I just set the recordings. BTW have you seen ‘The Lady in Red’ or ‘The Wilder Years’?

11 minutes ago, Robstaff said:

Thanks for reminding me. I just set the recordings. BTW have you seen ‘The Lady in Red’ or ‘The Wilder Years’?

Yes, I have seen them. I liked THE WOMAN IN RED...I would recommend it, especially for fans of Gene Raymond. Incidentally, a clip from this film appears in Woody Allen's 2016 feature CAFE SOCIETY.

THESE WILDER YEARS is not as good as it could be. Good MGM production values and the leads (Stanwyck and Cagney) try hard but the story falls flat. Michael Landon, in his pre-Bonanza days, has a small role.

• Thanks 1

William Powell played Philo Vance in a few movies, The Canary Murder Case (1929), The Greene Murder Case (1929), The Benson Murder Case (1930), and The Kennel Murder Case (1933).  They aren't pinnacles of cinematic art, but they are engaging and fun to watch.  Powell is paired with Jean Arthur in the first two, and Mary Astor in the last.  He teamed up with Ginger Rogers, tho not as Vance, in Star of Midnight (1935).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings