Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skimpole

What classic movies does TCM not show?

OK, we know that TCM is much less likely to show a film if (a) it was made after 1979, or even 1965 (b) if it's foreign (c) if it's avant-garde or experimental (d) if it's overly long (e) if it has excessive sexual content (f) if it's a Disney animated feature and (g) if it's The Sound of Music.  So there are still perfectly respectable Hollywood movies from 1928 to 1965 which still exist and which TCM has never shown, no doubt because of rights issue.  With that in mind, what are those respectable Hollywood movies from 1928 to 1965 which TCM has never shown.  Peter Ibbetson and Damn Yankees come to mind first for me.  What else is there?

There are too many to list. Quite a few from Paramount, Universal, Republic and a bunch from 20th Century Fox that still have not aired on TCM.

Plus there are some obscure titles from MGM, like JOE AND ETHEL TURP CALL ON THE PRESIDENT. When Ann Sothern was Star of the Month a few years ago it was curiously absent from the schedule. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_and_Ethel_Turp_Call_on_the_President

According to MovieCollector's data, it's only aired once on TCM...back in July 1996.

Here are a few. BEAU GESTE, EARLY CAROLE LOMBARD FILMS, THIS GUN FOR HIRE, THE GLASS KEY, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN,THE MINISTRY OF FEAR, MIRACLE AT MORGAN CREEK , HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO, AND MORE.  This is Paramount.  There is a long list of 20th Century Fox  and Universal films that they haven't shown. We can go on and on on this one. I believe TCM has shown about 25% of all classic films.  Therefore, the public does not know or been exposed to most of all the classic actors or their films.  I cannot believe it is due to the lack of money.  Their parent company TIME WARNER HAS PLENTY MONEY TO SPARE.  Repeating the same films over and over is bad for keeping their audience.  People get ticked off.

• Like 1

they doan show Hot Spell with Anthony Quinn, Shirley Booth in just one of her small handful of films, Eileen Heckart, Shirley MacLaine, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens...

they do not show the early dino de laurentis peplum Attila with Anthony Quinn in the title role and a young gorgeous Sophia Loren.

6 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

they doan show Hot Spell with Anthony Quinn, Shirley Booth in just one of her small handful of films, Eileen Heckart, Shirley MacLaine, Earl Holliman, Warren Stevens...

they do not show the early dino de laurentis peplum Attila with Anthony Quinn in the title role and a young gorgeous Sophia Loren

What about Fire Maidens from Outer Space, the K. Gordon Murray Mexican horror films, or the BFI uncut Horror of Dracula

See, at least one person is listening to your pleas! 

• Haha 1

Lots of Twentieth Century Fox titles haven't been shown. Under Two Flags and Jesse James are two popular ones that come to mind.

7 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Lots of Twentieth Century Fox titles haven't been shown. Under Two Flags and Jesse James are two popular ones that come to mind.

Some of the 60's-70's Fox and Universal movies' cable rights may still be owned by AMC, back in the pre-Mad Men days when they used to show movies (= The Omen, Jaws and The Blues Brothers).  There's no hope of them ever coming back, but that doesn't mean AMC's letting go of them just yet.  That may include Cleopatra and Sound of Music, unless TSOM is still owned by other networks at the moment.

And while the ten Vaulted Disney animated titles (Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, etc.) aren't let out in public except for home-video sales, TCM's shown just about every other Disney short and live-action rarity.  Who else had never heard of "In Search of the Castaways" before it showed up on TCM Disney-event night?

11 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

JESSE JAMES (1939) airs often on the Encore Westerns channel. But TCM did air it in 2013 and 2014, according to MovieCollector's information:

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

UNDER TWO FLAGS has never aired on TCM. But it is on YouTube.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

UNDER TWO FLAGS has never aired on TCM. But it is on YouTube.

I think Under Two Flags would be a good one to show if they ever do Claudette Colbert as SOTM.

14 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I think Under Two Flags would be a good one to show if they ever do Claudette Colbert as SOTM.

Totally agree. She was a last-minute replacement and does an extraordinary job in that film.

6 hours ago, arpirose said:

Here are a few. BEAU GESTE, EARLY CAROLE LOMBARD FILMS, THIS GUN FOR HIRE, THE GLASS KEY, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN,THE MINISTRY OF FEAR, MIRACLE AT MORGAN CREEK , HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO, AND MORE.  This is Paramount.  There is a long list of 20th Century Fox  and Universal films that they haven't shown. We can go on and on on this one. I believe TCM has shown about 25% of all classic films.  Therefore, the public does not know or been exposed to most of all the classic actors or their films.  I cannot believe it is due to the lack of money.  Their parent company TIME WARNER HAS PLENTY MONEY TO SPARE.  Repeating the same films over and over is bad for keeping their audience.  People get ticked off.

Wait, didn't they just show Beau Geste? I wasn't watching, but I think that was the one I got in the heated argument with the guy who thought Ben M. was being too PC in his intro.

Anyway, I know they showed it in 2015, because I saw it.

6 hours ago, arpirose said:

BEAU GESTE, EARLY CAROLE LOMBARD FILMS, THIS GUN FOR HIRE, THE GLASS KEY, THE GENERAL DIED AT DAWN,THE MINISTRY OF FEAR, MIRACLE AT MORGAN CREEK , HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO, AND MORE

TCM has shown This Gun For Hire (1942), The Glass Key (1942--not sure about the '35 version), Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1943), and Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) all a number of times.

And and at least the '39 version of Beau Geste.  (I think I also remember seeing the '26 version with Ronald Colman, but I may have seen it somewhere else.)

Yeah, that one's been discussed frequently. It's a Warner Bros. film, and TCM shows all of Doris Day's other Warner Bros. films, so I don't know what the issue is. I suspect it has something to do with the rights to the songs.

Maybe 'cause this one's from a B'way play and the other D'Day movies aren't, so that's where the rights come in.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, skimpole said:

What classic movies does TCM not show?

Cheech and Chong's 'Things Are Tough All Over'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wait, didn't they just show Beau Geste? I wasn't watching, but I think that was the one I got in the heated argument with the guy who thought Ben M. was being too PC in his intro.

That was Lives of a Bengal Lancer, I believe.

• Thanks 1

Most notably, the Godfather films.  They showed the original one about 10 years ago, when there was about a week gap when they could rent it.  It happened to be in August, so they found a way to put it in under Robert Duvall's day for SOTS.

They showed Peter Ibbestson once, a few years ago.

The interesting thing about that is since the only opportunity they were going to get to show it (and let's not forget Godfather Part II also) was during SUTS, they actually had to create a Robert Duvall SUTS day at the last possible second so as to not break the established August format and cull together another eight or so movies with Duvall in them. I have no memory of what they were, but I did sit there and watch those two movies uninterrupted back to back that glorious night, almost certainly the only time they will ever air on TCM.

To the chagrin of some, I'm sure, the actress who'd already been scheduled for that day got bumped. I have some kind of mental block where I always forget who that was. TopBilled will know. I believe he's answered this question before. 

Applause, one of the first Hollywood sound films, directed by Rouben Mamoulian has apparently never been shown.  Peter Ibbetson, contra Karlofffan, has not appeared on TCM, at least not according to moviecollector.us

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The interesting thing about that is since the only opportunity they were going to get to show it (and let's not forget Godfather Part II also) was during SUTS, they actually had to create a Robert Duvall SUTS day at the last possible second so as to not break the established August format and cull together another eight or so movies with Duvall in them. I have no memory of what they were, but I did sit there and watch those two movies uninterrupted back to back that glorious night, almost certainly the only time they will ever air on TCM.

To the chagrin of some, I'm sure, the actress who'd already been scheduled for that day got bumped. I have some kind of mental block where I always forget who that was. TopBilled will know. I believe he's answered this question before. 

I don't remember now. That was the summer I started watching TCM. So in those "early" days I wasn't paying attention to the scheduling. I do remember thinking certain films would always be rerun, until I noticed a pattern that when a Paramount film shows up, it's a treat and an exception to the rule-- not something we can expect to be replayed very often.

• Like 1

AN EASY ONE & LONGTIME NOT COMING EITHER>   *THE GODFATHER EPICS, DISNEY'S  ANIMATED FEATURES, POWER & THE GLORY,  JOHNNY CONCHO,  QUICK MILLIONS

ALSO THE *OSCAR NOMMED 1951 VERSION OF DEATH OF A SALESMAN  W/*F. MARCH

• Like 1