Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Caligula (1979)

NipkowDisc

just grabbed a 2 hr 35 min version that's posted on youtube. hope there ain't too much smut but viewing the start our hero enters a bathing chamber with alotta babes nursing their babes. :) just separate the dirty parts from the rest of it and you got yourself probably a great film. mcdowell is a hoot. since the DVD player in my flatscreen went on the permanent fritz I doan hafta worry about that screwy true 16:9 resolution of 720x400 anymore. so now I just grab something, convert it with ConvertXtoDVD, burn and watch it on my portable 7" DVD player. caligula should be fun. why can't TCM show something like caligula on underground? no time anymore have I for slackers and their chronic unrelenting slackdom. never mind!...I'll just get it and watch it myself.

:D

"well, that's just the way it's going to have to be." -john wayne, the war wagon

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

Well, Nipkow, maybe Caligula is a film for these times. ?

But if you want to see your man Caligula depicted in a really great series, get hold of I Claudius. John Hurt is a great Caligula.

johnhurt2.jpg?w=640

It a great series agree.

18 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

It a great series agree.

Hurt was magnificent as Caligula. The entire production was fantastic. Wish PBS would rerun the series again during another one of their endless pledge breaks. 

• Like 1

NipkowDisc hasn't returned from watching Caligula, maybe his head exploded.........

Drum roll..............

Maybe he's disavowved the far right and has become in touch whith his inner Gaius Augustus Germanicus..... or become human. ?

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

NipkowDisc hasn't returned from watching Caligula, maybe his head exploded.........

Drum roll..............

Maybe he's disavowved the far right and has become in touch whith his inner Gaius Augustus Germanicus..... or become human. ?

Or maybe he got confused and watched John Wayne in The War Wagon instead.  

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

Or maybe he got confused and watched John Wayne in The War Wagon instead.  

Remembering how terrific he was as a centurion in 'The Greatest Story Ever Told', Marion would've been great in 'Caligula'. Perfect casting.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:19 PM, Swithin said:

But if you want to see your man Caligula depicted in a really great series, get hold of I Claudius. John Hurt is a great Caligula.

johnhurt2.jpg?w=640

He could blend in well today.  

3196101_3919_38bf3801eb_l.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 4:01 PM, NipkowDisc said:

just grabbed a 2 hr 35 min version that's posted on youtube. hope there ain't too much smut but viewing the start our hero enters a bathing chamber with alotta babes nursing their babes. :) just separate the dirty parts from the rest of it and you got yourself probably a great film. mcdowell is a hoot. since the DVD player in my flatscreen went on the permanent fritz I doan hafta worry about that screwy true 16:9 resolution of 720x400 anymore. so now I just grab something, convert it with ConvertXtoDVD, burn and watch it on my portable 7" DVD player. caligula should be fun. why can't TCM show something like caligula on underground? no time anymore have I for slackers and their chronic unrelenting slackdom. never mind!...I'll just get it and watch it myself.

TCM doesn't show it because it is a DISGUSTING movie, and airing it would surely get lots of viewer complaints.  I'm surprised a great fan of the film like yourself doesn't get the 3-disc deluxe Blu-ray edition with special features galore.  But then, such a crappy film really deserves to be seen on crappy bootlegged low-res blurry picture.

I am not interested in the nudity and sex but just the drama. I have not watched it yet so have no idea how good or bad it is.

besides McDowell there is also john Gielgud, peter o'toole and helen mirren. I wanna see why these greats appeared in it so will just grin and bear and fast forward past all the guccione depravity. (at least the parts I doan like.)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I am not interested in the nudity and sex but just the drama. I have not watched it yet so have no idea how good or bad it is.

besides McDowell there is also john Gielgud, peter o'toole and helen mirren. I wanna see why these greats appeared in it so will just grin and bear and fast forward past all the guccione depravity. (at least the parts I doan like.)

Helen Mirren looks pretty hot in the movie too.

helen-mirren-2.jpg?resize=760,536

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm not trying to advocate for further censorship, but if a TCM Administrator decided my Barbara Stanwyck photo was too dirty to be allowed, while a direct link to Caligula is apparently totally cool, I cry foul.

Links are fine. No "captive" audience involved.

Posted pics are more supervised as they're easier for an unwilling viewer to accidentally see and thereby be offended.

On 7/15/2018 at 4:01 PM, NipkowDisc said:

"well, that's just the way it's going to have to be." -john wayne, the war wagon

One should never watch a film with hopefully frontally projecting members, on a flat screen, Nip!

I'm just saying...spoils the whole forced perspective idea.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:19 PM, Swithin said:

johnhurt2.jpg?w=640

One of the most incredibly well made mini-series of all time!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2018 at 8:34 PM, darkblue said:

Well, I own the unrated dvd and it runs 156 minutes, so it sounds like you've got the full version there.

Hope you enjoy scenes of felayshio.

One of the best movies with the word "felayshio" in the script is "Black Christmas" wherein Margot Kidder gives the police sergeant that as the prefix for her telephone number.

Nice phonetic spelling, DarkBlue!

On 7/16/2018 at 1:06 PM, Zea said:

Hurt was magnificent as Caligula. The entire production was fantastic. Wish PBS would rerun the series again during another one of their endless pledge breaks. 

Buy the boxed set. It is well worth it and selling for great prices nowadays in catalogs. Used to retail for more like 75 smackeroos.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings