Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Discouraging Programming Choices


CoriSCapnSkip
 Share

Recommended Posts

This is probably as good a place as any to say TCM lately makes me SO MAD!

ALL DAY they show crap about kooks, addicts, crooks, wars, spies, cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians, stuff so bad I have to turn to Science Channel for my Mom.  Then along about midnight West Coast time which would be 3:00 a.m. east coast time they start showing the good stuff, long after it is too late for me to sit up to watch the end of it!  The 1974 film Conrack, and the films Don't Look Back and Festival from 1967, are all things I would love to see, but they are on too dang late for me to get involved in watching beginning to end, I have no idea how to use the dratted DVR and no intention of learning--they should never have discontinued VHS!  The only thing they showed lately in which I had any interest at a time I could actually watch was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  They can do better than this!  (Even sadder because TCM is one of only about three decent channels carried by DirecTV and since cable sucks and our area does not get Comcast we have very little choice.)  Also they drop the ball in the summer just when the few available other channels are all showing reruns I have either seen a million times or wouldn't watch unless I were well paid.

If there is some special complaints department please advise!  Thanks for listening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

This is probably as good a place as any to say TCM lately makes me SO MAD!

ALL DAY they show crap about kooks, addicts, crooks, wars, spies, cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians, stuff so bad I have to turn to Science Channel for my Mom.  Then along about midnight West Coast time which would be 3:00 a.m. east coast time they start showing the good stuff, long after it is too late for me to sit up to watch the end of it!  The 1974 film Conrack, and the films Don't Look Back and Festival from 1967, are all things I would love to see, but they are on too dang late for me to get involved in watching beginning to end, I have no idea how to use the dratted DVR and no intention of learning--they should never have discontinued VHS!  The only thing they showed lately in which I had any interest at a time I could actually watch was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  They can do better than this!  (Even sadder because TCM is one of only about three decent channels carried by DirecTV and since cable sucks and our area does not get Comcast we have very little choice.)  Also they drop the ball in the summer just when the few available other channels are all showing reruns I have either seen a million times or wouldn't watch unless I were well paid.

VCR's are pretty cheap on Ebay.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a VCR, it's just been impossible to record anything off the TV with all the convoluted connections required by the DirecTV equipment.  VHS tapes can be played, just not recorded.  I could record DVDs if the thing worked, but for one it doesn't, for another DVDs are not re-recordable so you're stuck with coasters!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

I have a VCR, it's just been impossible to record anything off the TV with all the convoluted connections required by the DirecTV equipment.  VHS tapes can be played, just not recorded.  I could record DVDs if the thing worked, but for one it doesn't, for another DVDs are not re-recordable so you're stuck with coasters!

Direct TV, huh?

Guess I'm glad I don't have that. I have cable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

DVDr's are recordable. There was a discussion a while back about a new technology block that prevented you from recording off of TCM. I wasn't following it exactly, but do a search.

As far as films from the mid 1960s on they usually play late nights because their content may be sensitive to little eyes or ears, or to puritanical elitists, whoes whole world will come tumbling down if they hear one of the "seven dirty words" or see boob, bush, or peter, on screen. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem being smart enough to know how you can record off the cable box on to a VCR so I still use a VCR and doan intend to stop.

as far as complaining to TCM about their repetitive programming I say doan waste your time even bothering.

they just doan give a bleep.

:D

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching HBO or SHOWTIME or STARZ with their endless, nightly repeats of the same damn movies all week long. It's like they put their programming on auto-pilot. Plug in 7 or 10 movies between them, swap them and rerun them daily & weekly.

Granted, TCM's not that bad, but the quick repetition of films is getting to be a bit much. i.e. "The Great Escape"? Please. Stop. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, CoriSCapnSkip said:

I have no idea how to use the dratted DVR and no intention of learning--they should never have discontinued VHS!

In a heartbeat, I could help you, but this is where you lost my interest. I refuse to help someone, and I truly could, who refuses to help themselves. I have Xfinity and the DVR is pretty easy. I would be totally shocked to think the satellite companies make their equipment hard to use. I could probably give you a dozen ideas, but not if you have no intention of doing for yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have Dish and a DVR.  To record, you find the show you want in the Guide, hit the record button.  To access the recording, you hit the DVR button, locate the recording and hit Enter, select Watch, and you're on your way.

I'm glad VHS went away.  Those were a pain to set up recordings on.  Either the recording wouldn't be set up correctly, or the tape would run out or something else would happen.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I have Dish and a DVR.  To record, you find the show you want in the Guide, hit the record button.  To access the recording, you hit the DVR button, locate the recording and hit Enter, select Watch, and you're on your way.

I'm glad VHS went away.  Those were a pain to set up recordings on.  Either the recording wouldn't be set up correctly, or the tape would run out or something else would happen.

Same thing with my Xfinity remote. I don't even use the voice part. Video tape and DVDs are standard definition. By now, I think DVD recorders are rare. I have a VCR, because I still have some old recordings. I have Casablanca on VHS.

With all the spam we get here each day, it is sometimes hard to know what is real when a new poster comes along.

You probably know the very last Blockbuster store is in Bend, Oregon.

rewind.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

but there's the thing....

you have to buy DVR equipment.

no thanks.

 

You borrow it from cable or satellite, for a monthly fee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

DVDr's are recordable. There was a discussion a while back about a new technology block that prevented you from recording off of TCM. I wasn't following it exactly, but do a search.

Yep, there are some brands of machines that won't record any longer because of blocking signals.

What does still work are Pioneer models with hard drive sections - provided you use the coax input and not the digital connections (red, white, yellow).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my quick little Wile E. Coyote diagram of a typical Directv Genie whole-house satellite system.  Not that much different than wiring up a cable system (I have had both, I have Directv now).  Notice there is only one DVR unit, then the units in the other two rooms get everything from that.  Each wire you see represented here is literally just a single coax cable - just like the one that comes into your house - except for the TV connections.  Simple.  If you just have one TV set, then you would eliminate the splitter and client boxes.  The power injector and splitter are just two little things on the floor behind my TV cabinet in the living room.

I have read that some people have the splitter at the point of entry in the house, for logistical reasons, then have the power injector at the DVR and TV set where there is a place to plug it in.  (It is also possible to wire it with the splitter before the power injector.)

Under the hood, the DVR communicates with the clients using MoCA protocol (multimedia over coax),  More specifically it allows two or more networked devices to communicate over coax.  So the clients actually stream video from the DVR, a little bit like the way a Roku works.  But it is not necessary to know any of that in order to use it.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/directv-setup.jpg

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Here's my quick little Wile E. Coyote diagram of a typical Directv Genie whole-house satellite system.  Not that much different than wiring up a cable system (I have had both, I have Directv now).  Notice there is only one DVR unit, then the units in the other two rooms get everything from that.  Each wire you see represented here is literally just a single coax cable - just like the one that comes into your house - except for the TV connections.  Simple.  If you just have one TV set, then you would eliminate the splitter and client boxes.  The power injector and splitter are just two little things on the floor behind my TV cabinet in the living room.

I have read that some people have the splitter at the point of entry in the house, for logistical reasons, then have the power injector at the DVR and TV set where there is a place to plug it in.  (It is also possible to wire it with the splitter before the power injector.)

Under the hood, the DVR communicates with the clients using MoCA protocol (multimedia over coax),  More specifically it allows two or more networked devices to communicate over coax.  So the clients actually stream video from the DVR, a little bit like the way a Roku works.  But it is not necessary to know any of that in order to use it.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/directv-setup.jpg

Very nice! So, is there a projector in the basement?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

Same thing with my Xfinity remote. I don't even use the voice part. Video tape and DVDs are standard definition. By now, I think DVD recorders are rare. I have a VCR, because I still have some old recordings. I have Casablanca on VHS.

With all the spam we get here each day, it is sometimes hard to know what is real when a new poster comes along.

You probably know the very last Blockbuster store is in Bend, Oregon.

rewind.jpg

I used to have Xfinity, but it may have been Comcast at the time, but I dumped it years ago because the price was ridiculous.  My Dish is 1/2 the price.  Most of my VHS have long since worn out (Tracking! Tracking! Tracking!).  I don't even own a VCR anymore.  I believe I've replaced everything with DVD/Blu Ray.  Granted, I think DVD started coming out sometime around 1998-ish, and I was 14 then.  So as a kid, I didn't really own very many VHS, so it wasn't hard for me to replace.  

Yes, I saw that Bend had the last Blockbuster.  I would go there just for the novelty of it, but it's about 3.5 hours SE from me and it's over 100 degrees there.  Not really worth it right now.  Lol. 

Back in the day of VHS, I used to go to Blockbuster every now and then, but I didn't think they had that great of a selection of films.  Hollywood Video had a better selection.  In Salem (where I grew up), the Hollywood Video and Blockbuster were across the street from one another.  We had accounts at both, so if one place was out of the movie we wanted, we'd go across the street and try our luck.  We also had a local video store that was attached to a take-and-bake pizza place.  We'd order our pizza, then while it was being made, we'd go next door and get our movies.  All three stores are long gone.  The Hollywood Video is a pet-supply store, the Blockbuster I think is one of those deli-video poker places, and the pizza shop/video store combo is now a tobacco shop.  

I miss the 90s. Those were the days.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Checking out moviecollectoroh's database. Anatomy of a Murder is making its impressive 56th airing on TCM tonight. But, listen, I always welcome anything outside the "TCM Library" because you never know when such a film will suddenly disappear for 10 years or forever.

Maybe you just know turned on your TV and didn't know it was preceded by The Man Who Came to Dinner, about which I would think you would have even more cause to complain, making its 72nd TCM airing!

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/16/2018 at 5:49 PM, speedracer5 said:

I used to have Xfinity, but it may have been Comcast at the time, but I dumped it years ago because the price was ridiculous.  My Dish is 1/2 the price.  Most of my VHS have long since worn out (Tracking! Tracking! Tracking!).  I don't even own a VCR anymore.  I believe I've replaced everything with DVD/Blu Ray.  Granted, I think DVD started coming out sometime around 1998-ish, and I was 14 then.  So as a kid, I didn't really own very many VHS, so it wasn't hard for me to replace.  

Yes, I saw that Bend had the last Blockbuster.  I would go there just for the novelty of it, but it's about 3.5 hours SE from me and it's over 100 degrees there.  Not really worth it right now.  Lol. 

Back in the day of VHS, I used to go to Blockbuster every now and then, but I didn't think they had that great of a selection of films.  Hollywood Video had a better selection.  In Salem (where I grew up), the Hollywood Video and Blockbuster were across the street from one another.  We had accounts at both, so if one place was out of the movie we wanted, we'd go across the street and try our luck.  We also had a local video store that was attached to a take-and-bake pizza place.  We'd order our pizza, then while it was being made, we'd go next door and get our movies.  All three stores are long gone.  The Hollywood Video is a pet-supply store, the Blockbuster I think is one of those deli-video poker places, and the pizza shop/video store combo is now a tobacco shop.  

I miss the 90s. Those were the days.

I have a nephew your age. So you are the kind of viewer Ben talks about, the younger people who realize these movies are important. I was 14 in 1971. That was before Sony released the $1,000 Betamax machine.

EDIT: Guess my batteries are low. My nephew was born in 1984, and doesn't really care for TCM, but loves history.

Things change. What I miss about the video stores, be it tape or disc, is the physical aspect. You could take it off the shelf and read the back. I am in Santa Rosa, CA., and we just lost another video store. It surprises me any of them are still around.

I know a little about Salem. Spent most of December 2005 there. I still have family in Keizer, Gresham, and Eugene. I have been to Bend just once. I probably know more about Oregon than California. I like Oregon more than California. My Great Granddaddy had over 900 acres in Poe Valley, just East of Klamath Falls, back in the early 1900s.

So maybe the original poster isn't so mad anymore. TCM is what it is, 24-hours a day, with all times Eastern. I can appreciate the desire to find movies for Mom. There are other channels with Mom-friendly programming.

I am no wizard, that's LawrenceA's job. HAR! I can give some advice to anyone willing to pay attention and help themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, CoriSCapnSkip said:

This is probably as good a place as any to say TCM lately makes me SO MAD!

ALL DAY they show crap about kooks, addicts, crooks, wars, spies, cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians, stuff so bad I have to turn to Science Channel for my Mom.  Then along about midnight West Coast time which would be 3:00 a.m. east coast time they start showing the good stuff, long after it is too late for me to sit up to watch the end of it!  The 1974 film Conrack, and the films Don't Look Back and Festival from 1967, are all things I would love to see, but they are on too dang late for me to get involved in watching beginning to end, I have no idea how to use the dratted DVR and no intention of learning--they should never have discontinued VHS!  The only thing they showed lately in which I had any interest at a time I could actually watch was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  They can do better than this!  (Even sadder because TCM is one of only about three decent channels carried by DirecTV and since cable sucks and our area does not get Comcast we have very little choice.)  Also they drop the ball in the summer just when the few available other channels are all showing reruns I have either seen a million times or wouldn't watch unless I were well paid.

If there is some special complaints department please advise!  Thanks for listening.

Conrack is on again, next Friday, the 27th at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. It is a good film, and I hope you catch it this time

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, yes.... I remember all the "tracking" BS involved with VHS back in the "day".  I still have a lot of VHS tapes, movies copied from cable and/or from other VHS tapes.  I used to do a LOT of that, at one point having - based on two movies per cassette- over 600 titles.  I even printed out a multi-page guide to aide in the ease of finding a particular movie, since all my cassettes were numbered.  But since my move 7 years ago, and lack of time and space, I had to pick which ones I  REALLY wanted to keep and leave the rest behind.  :(

But I still have many cassettes. Enough to make a working VCR a necessity, and at the time('bout six years ago) I had no trouble finding one of those VCR/DVD combo units.  But I only use the VCR side to play a tape (since everything yet hasn't been re-issued on DVD, just like a lot of MUSIC has never been re-issued on CD) and haven't bothered recording anything for many moons.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...