Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Probably a tough movie to ID, but here goes.

Robstaff

I'm hesitant to even post this one because I have so little to go on, but for some reason this has haunting me since childhood.

A color film, around the early 70s. I saw it on TV. The only thing I remember is a scene at the end looking down from a large curved staircase, and some red drapes started on fire and started burning up. At that point there was a woman screaming. Very chilling movie scene, which is probably why it's haunted me for so long. The woman was middle aged, maybe 40s, I think wearing a one color dress, and her hair was up, not hanging down.

I edited this because I did some more research. 'Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte' (1964) has a curved staircase to the right (from the top) just like I remembered, but it's B&W.

Does anyone know if Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. has a scene with burning curtains???

OK that is definitely not it. I should have been more clear on my description. Sorry! The scene I was describing was set in the modern era, like the 70s. It was a late 60s early 70s really nice house with that big staircase!

This movie was kind of a horror type of movie. I don't know how else to describe it. A bewitching type of movie, if that even makes any sense. The scene where the drapes caught fire and the woman was screaming really freaked me out.

OK so put it this way. That fire wasn't just a fire. It had something to do with something bewitching. Sorry, but I don't know how else to describe it.

BTW, not trying to bombard the forum with all these questions, but there have been several movies that have haunted me for a long long time. I'm just one of these people who obsesses over this type of thing. I finally found this message board last night, and I guess I just dumped the big ones on you. I've had some good luck too, unbelievably! This one with those burning drapes has been in my brain for some 40 years!!!

I've been up trying to piece this together. Now I can't let go of it. I've been looking at Olivia De Havilland and Joan Crawford as possible suspects, and Joan Crawford was in a couple of Night Gallery episodes, one that really looks familiar. These pics (if they upload) look REALLY familiar.

I'm certain though that the curtains started on fire, so who knows?!!!

b0b25628108fbc097000cb3b2ab4ce38 (2).jpeg

night-gallery-season-1-0-eyes-joan-crawford.jpg

The big key I’m hoping someone has in their brain is anyone’s memory of a movie ending looking down  a big curved staircase, curtains on fire down the stairs, and I think a lady screaming at that point! That’s the BIG key! Oh, and set in the mid to late 60s, early to mid 70s! Thanks again!

8 hours ago, Robstaff said:

I've been up trying to piece this together. Now I can't let go of it. I've been looking at Olivia De Havilland and Joan Crawford as possible suspects, and Joan Crawford was in a couple of Night Gallery episodes, one that really looks familiar. These pics (if they upload) look REALLY familiar.

I'm certain though that the curtains started on fire, so who knows?!!!

b0b25628108fbc097000cb3b2ab4ce38 (2).jpeg

night-gallery-season-1-0-eyes-joan-crawford.jpg

I think those stills are from the Night Gallery episode where Joan is blind but undergoes a procedure in which she will temporarily regain her sight for 24 hours or so. The ending is very ironic.

Thanks for posting, scsu and musical! Everything about Picture Mommy Dead fits, the style of house, the timeframe, the father (not in my description, just remembered that), that portrait of Zsa Zsa (also memory triggered), the girl (memory triggered), the fire, the witchy stuff. In my memory there was definitely a father and daughter, so this has to be it!

I’m certain TCM played ‘Picture Mommy Dead’ a few years ago (does anyone know for sure???) because I remember watching it, and the whole time I was watching it I was thinking that it must certainly be that movie I had been thinking about all those years!

Thanks greatly for the help on this one!

1 minute ago, Robstaff said:

I’m certain TCM played ‘Picture Mommy Dead’ a few years ago (does anyone know for sure???) because I remember watching it, and the whole time I was watching it I was thinking that it must certainly be that movie I had been thinking about all those years!

Yes, they did, that's where I first saw it.

11 hours ago, Robstaff said:

Have you by any chance seen 'Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte". I did some research and it seems kind of familiar, only it's not in color. I could be wrong about that because we didn't have a color TV during my early childhood.

It's been awhile since I've seen it. And yes, that film is in black and white not color.

I just wanted to post this still shot because it’s so COOL!! It’s from a 20 years schedule history of TCM that someone on here put together (who deserves a great deal of credit!!). MovieCollectorOH??? Am I correct that MovieCollectorOH is the one who put this together??? I went to the page and hit the ‘find in page’ feature on my browser and searched for ‘mommy’. I just think this is very cool, that’s all! One person’s efforts can benefit so many!!

D8F9A5DD-9544-49B1-920F-EF6F74C291B6.png

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2018 at 12:49 PM, Robstaff said:

Thanks for posting, scsu and musical! Everything about Picture Mommy Dead fits, the style of house, the timeframe, the father (not in my description, just remembered that), that portrait of Zsa Zsa (also memory triggered), the girl (memory triggered), the fire, the witchy stuff. In my memory there was definitely a father and daughter, so this has to be it! ...

Thanks greatly for the help on this one!

So glad to have helped! PICTURE MOMMY DEAD isn't really the kind of movie I am most into (prefer silents, 1930s & 1940s) but am very familiar with it because one of the stars, Susan Gordon was a good friend of mine and I have made an effort over many years to locate and see as many of her movies and TV appearances as I can (and in some cases, get copies to her of titles she either didn't have, or in some cases, had never even seen). This was her last movie. She appeared in one more (of four total) "My Three Sons" episodes after this, then retired at age 17. She led a happy life but very sadly, passed away in 2011 at only age 62.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 5:23 PM, musicalnovelty said:

So glad to have helped! PICTURE MOMMY DEAD isn't really the kind of movie I am most into (prefer silents, 1930s & 1940s) but am very familiar with it because one of the stars, Susan Gordon was a good friend of mine and I have made an effort over many years to locate and see as many of her movies and TV appearances as I can (and in some cases, get copies to her of titles she either didn't have, or in some cases, had never even seen). This was her last movie. She appeared in one more (of four total) "My Three Sons" episodes after this, then retired at age 17. She led a happy life but very sadly, passed away in 2011 at only age 62.

Your having had Susan Gordon as a good friend is a very impressive and envious claim. She had that same ability for a natural performance from a child actor that Bill Mumy had in that same range of years that Susan's career occupied. And of course her dad is Bert I. Gordon who made so many entertaining movies about oversized beings of one type or another, directing her in one of them ("Attack of the Puppet People") as well as in the very low-budget but interesting "Tormented" which she headlined alongside Richard Carlson, and "The Boy and the Pirates" also starring her frequent juvenile co-star Charles Herbert (sadly, Charles who is best known for "The Fly" and "The Colossus of New York" also died at age 66 in 2015). Susan was also really good in a "77 Sunset Strip" episode called "The Dark Wood" with long dialogue scenes opposite Efrem Zimbalist Jr., as well as giving a central performance in the classic "Twilight Zone" episode "The Fugitive" with J. Pat O'Malley as the elderly extraterrestrial whom she tries to protect from the two aliens in apparently hostile pursuit of him. By the way, I've always known the title "Picture Mommy Dead" but never saw the movie, but learning that she was the star suddenly gives me a good reason to want to see it. I was so sad to learn of her passing, and then Charles' passing four years later.

By the way, for anyone making a list of things that imdb doesn't list, I noticed from watching that "77 SS" episode starring Susan that one of the key actresses in the episode, the one working at the local restaurant as a romantic interest of Robert Logan's character, isn't listed in the credits or on the imdb site. She does seem very familiar and has a scene making a special burger for Efrem that she calls the "Mountaineer." I'll have to make a point of tracking down where I know her from.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings