Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A surprise largest fan club on this planet belongs to Michael Jackson?

spence

Personally I never disliked MJ, but was by no means a fan of his either.  Though my favorite number he sang most don't really recall "Ben"-(which was up for Best 0riginal Song *Oscar) & he had a couple ice ballads I reckon'

Anyhow, I had for decades now read just about everywhere (Premiere, Films of the Golden Age/Classic Images you name it) that the single largest fan club on the planet belong to no other than Stan Laurel & Olivier Hardy titled> SONS OF THE DESERT  Obviously lifted from their marvelous 1933 comedy-(AN ASIDE: Though I've never seen the dynamic duo better ten in THE MUSIC BOX (l932) & WAY OUT WEST (l937)  

I do remember that back when I first fell in love with our favorite thing THE M.O.V.I.E.S. (l979/80) even Guinness World Records listed SONS... as the largest in terms of total membership

Now I've been in a few fan clubs myself   The 1sat was awfully handled by Moe Howard's nephew Norman Maurer & promply closed too!   Then came the inevetible for me RALPH (Royal Association & Preservation of The Honeymooners) which was better, I even still have my official Racoon Cap! & here we go again, soon as THE GREAT ONE: JACKIE GLEASON-=(l9l6-87) died during the summer of 1987-(there were 2 other heavyweights that went that weekend *Lee Marvin, 63 & *John Huston at 81. So the NY based fan club all of a sudden also shut down?

My3rd & by a mile wide superior to all else, so much so one couldn't even keep up to the tons of stuff they sent-(STILL HAVE IT ALL  & IN HEFTY BAGS) was THE INTERNATIONAL *SINATRA SOCIETY  based down here of all places in Lakeland, FL & then, THEY CLOSED-(don't know the reason though?)

Now they of course still have fan-clubs, but are only internet based/joining & all.  Like MADONNA'S as just 1 example & my #1 all-timer idol *THE GREAT: TRACY obviously doesn't have such a thing & in this era NO WAY.  I love the net but will always prefer the newsletters, mags,etc via snail-mail on this type of things, how about you?

Now I fully expected ELVIS' myriad of clubs to have the most in it, but it is MICHAEL JACKSON?

THANKS

25 minutes ago, hamradio said:

A lot of cosmetic surgeons are members of his fan club. :P

I attended  the opening night performance of Michael Jackson's Victory Tour with his brothers.

He was one of the greatest entertainers of the 20th century-- a simply amazing performer.

I was shocked to see how many of his fans came from all over the world to be in Hollywood at the time of his memorial service.

Apparently he made a real difference in the lives of millions of people.

No matter how a person chooses to look, it should be something that each individual decides for herself or himself without the fear of being criticized.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

No matter how a person chooses to look, it should be something that each individual decides for herself or himself without the fear of being criticized.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

:rolleyes:

I've said it many times in many different places and in many different situations......

When it comes to music, how a person LOOKS, or all that pyrotechnic, laser light STAGE EFFECTS  stuff is of no real importance.  I've always attended concerts( rock, jazz, classical, etc.) with this mindset...

ie:  I'm STEVIE WONDER attending a concert.  I can't SEE how the performer looks or the clothes he/she and others on stage are wearing, nor can I see the FLASH PODS and all the other light shows or whatnot.  So....WHAT is going to impress ME about this concert the most?  ;)

Nah, I wasn't a MJ fan in the sense I'd pay to fight the crowd and go to one of his concerts.  His later music did(for me) have some brilliant spots in it, and I did too, always have respect and high regard for him as an entertainer ever since he burst in on the scene as a precocious 10 year old.

I'm not surprised at ALL about the size of his fan club.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings