Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

I bought the Vanity Fair issue; it was TOTALLY worth $4.50, there are 2 double sided spread pages with photos of her letters and receipts with pics of her thrown in along with beautiful full page photos. I'm about halfway through the article, it's long but very insightful about her life.

You hit the nail on the head -- she has staying power, and is really a Female American Original, in the way that Kate Hepburn, Amelia Earhart, Julia Child, Jackie O., Eleanor Roosevelt are.

That photo is fantastic! You know I love her all beatnik-y in black and toned down makeup. I dig the hair too.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Isn't the October 2008 Vanity Fair issue the best!!!??! WOW! Imagine all that stuff in those two file cabinets!! I saw a blurb about the September 2008 Vanity Fair issue and the contents of MM's things on Entertainment Tonight about 2 weeks ago. As a fan I was just stunned. I read the article 2xs!

CK & Sarah: It's kind of cool to think of MM still making the covers of the biggest magazines today. ;)

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/marilyn/marilyn

Bronxie: I love her black turtleneck photoshoot. For me, my favorite of her "looks" was in

this period, when she dressed more conservative cuts and neutral colors. I think it showed off

her beauty and sensuality more than the revealing, obiously sexy stuff. I also liked the

1960s look from Jax boutique (Pucci, et al --- we talked about that before, too).

I watched DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK yet again last night. This movie sure would fit in Professor

ChiO's class in terms of voyeurism, though it might not be considered hard core enough.

I really love this movie. Does anyone else like it? I find it interesting that the persona which

Richard Widmark became so famous for---the sneering, sarcastic wise guy---is specifically why

his girlfriend is rejecting him. So, instead of rooting for him or going along with Widmark-as-

Widmark, we're asked to see him as Ann Bancroft's character does and to question everything

about it. And, on the other hand, we have Marilyn's character who sees him as she believes,

as all the kindly things Ann wants him to be. Last night was the first time this aspect of the

story occurred to me, as well as the obvious peeking-through-windows and eavesdropping that

takes place throughout.

DBTN02.jpg

> {quote:title=sarah1493 wrote:}{quote}

> I bought the Vanity Fair issue; it was TOTALLY worth $4.50, there are 2 double sided spread pages with photos of her letters and receipts with pics of her thrown in along with beautiful full page photos. I'm about halfway through the article, it's long but very insightful about her life.

Glad you mentioned this, Sarah! I will definitely look for this at a newsstand... as soon as I get over my cold. :(

Samantha Morton does a terrific job as the Marilyn Monroe impersonator in Marilyn Monroe, with a performance that is truly touching and endearing; it's too bad the movie is not going to be more accessibly just by having popular actors like her and Diego Luna portraying impersonators of pop culture icons like MM and M. Jackson. There's something decidedly unique, however, about the idea of a whole community of impersonators. But it really isn't for everyone.

Anybody else read this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080925/lf_nm_life/us_monroe

*Rare Marilyn Monroe footage sold*

By Pauline Askin 1 hour, 27 minutes ago

SYDNEY (Reuters Life!) - A short amateur film of Hollywood star Marilyn Monroe on the set of "Some Like It Hot" was auctioned for 17,500 Australian dollars ($14,700) on Thursday, nearly 50 years after it was shot.

The rare, 2.5-minute-long footage, which shows Monroe and co-star Tony Curtis on the set, was purchased by an anonymous Australian buyer during the Melbourne sale, auctioneer Charles Leski told Reuters.

"We're surprised there weren't more bidders, but we are happy that it sold," Leski, managing director of Leski Auctions, said. "It was a stab in the dark what price the footage would go for."

The footage was discovered in Australia last month and Leski had set a pre-sale estimate of 20,000 to 30,000 Australian dollars ($17,000-$25,500).

The 8mm film, which also shows director Billy Wilder, was taken in early 1959 by a U.S. naval officer who was invited to the set of the movie after Monroe visited his base in San Diego.

The film, in its original Kodak box, was passed on to his daughter who lives in Melbourne, Australia, when he died and she decided to put it up for sale.

The purchaser also acquires full commercial rights.

Earlier this year, a 47-minute amateur film of Monroe and Clark Gable on the set of the 1961 film "The Misfits" sold in the United States for $60,000 after it was put up for sale by the family of an actor who had a small part in the movie.

"Considering what Misfits reached in the U.S., we are happy, as this means we got A$7,000 per minute," Leski said.

The lot included a CD copy and DVD copy as well.

Leski had expected the footage, which unlike the film is in color, to generate a lot of interest, as "Some Like It Hot" is listed by the American Film Institute as the greatest American comedy film of all time.

Like other Monroe memorabilia, the footage had generated a lot of media interest since it was discovered.

Monroe died in August 1962, aged 36, from a drugs overdose.

450090c.jpg

*Bonjour, Lafitte! ;)*

Bonjour, *MissG* ;)

This is probably not the case but I'm going to

pretend that. as Designate Connoisseur

de Tres Jolies Derrieres, I have been called

upon to rate the above derriere. And after due

consideration (about two seconds) I have determined

that the above derriere, owned by Miss Marilyn

Monroe, rates a 12 or 13 out of a possible 10

(I am sometimes very lavish in my judgments) though I

would like to warn Miss Monroe not to let it go

to her head because it is, after all, very nice right where it is. ;)

(Actually, *MissG*, I love this photo---I have it already

but thank you for posting it---she is so saucy cute

and so sexy.)

And since we're on the subject (heh heh) I would like

to direct your attention to the derriere below---oops,

I mean the picture below---for a glimpse of a, uh, a

scene from a movie that features a, uh...er, well, you know. ;)

mmderriere.jpg

As a pirate on the main I am loathe to impersonate

bus drivers but as Ralph Kramden might say, "Hubba, hubba, hubba." ;)

//

Bonjour, Connoisseur de Tres Jolies Derrieres! I'm sure MM would

be delighted to know of this latest and greatest honor. :D

When Marilyn and Jane Russell did their hand and footprints for Grauman's

Chinese Theater forecourt, one of them (I forget which) quipped that they shouldn't

have been placing their hands and feet but Jane's boobs and Marilyn's derriere in

the cement! ;)

MMJane-1.jpg

I thought I'd share a few words from a recent interview with *Eli Wallach*, the last surviving

leading cast member of The Misfits:

He declines to pick a favorite role but has plenty that come easily to his mind. He especially

recalls ?The Misfits? with Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe and Montgomery Clift. Gable died 10 days

after filming ended, he says, but it was Monroe he remembers best.

?This was a very difficult movie for her,? he recalls. ?Her husband Arthur Miller wrote it, and at the

time she had something going on with someone else.?

Miller was on the set every day and Monroe had a hard time showing up for her scenes.

?She felt being on the screen was like being in an x-ray machine, that the camera could see what

she was really thinking and reveal it,? Wallach says.

He remembers meeting her earlier when he was in the play ?Tea House of the August Moon? in

New York. A friend of Monroe?s brought her to see it, and afterward she came backstage.

?How do you do it?? she asked him. ?Can I come every night and watch??

She did come many times and soon joined the Actors Studio as an observer. Although she was a

screen star, she loved New York stage actors, Wallach says. ?She became wonderfully involved

and studied with Lee Strasburg?s wife Paula. Paula was on the set (of ?The Misfits?) and after

every scene Marilyn would look past director John Huston to see Paula?s reaction. If she nodded,

that was fine. If she shook her head, Marilyn would ask John, ?Can I shoot that scene again???

Huston, he says, always said yes.

More of the interview here:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/provincetown/fun/entertainment/x810458844/Wallach-talks-Tennessee

The_Misfits_Backstage_1961-colorize.jpg

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> When Marilyn and Jane Russell did their hand and footprints for Grauman's

> Chinese Theater forecourt, one of them (I forget which) quipped that they shouldn't

> have been placing their hands and feet but Jane's boobs and Marilyn's derriere in

> the cement! ;)

>

Here is video of that special occasion:

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/marilyn-monroe-jane-russel-graumanns-chinese-theater/1701969018

*Miss Goddess wrote*: When Marilyn and Jane Russell did their hand and footprints for Grauman's Chinese Theater forecourt, one of them (I forget which) quipped that they shouldn't have been placing their hands and feet but Jane's boobs and Marilyn's derriere in the cement! ;)

In Marilyn's case, they should have erected a statue...with proper emphasis of course ;) ---and with a sign that reads, "DO NOT TOUCH.' :D

*Film Fatale wrote*: I think I know why you picked this photo. It is a very nice dress. ;)

Yes, and such an attractive shade of beige. ;)