Hello, Norma Jean!

MissGoddess

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> But Casey uses his laugh to creepy effect in LORD LOVE A DUCK:

>

>

>

> Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

OH my goodness!!! It's too early in the morning (for me) to hear that LAUGH! LOL

Bronxie, surely you jest. Ray would scare all the kilts off your Scottish lairds for

miles around if you married him and moved him into your castle. And don't try

to tell me you wouldn't NEED a few kilties around to take the edge off of being

Mrs. Yuk Yuk. :P

I can't deal with men who laugh too much. It makes me skin crawl, ducky.

*Ralph Bellamy* is looking SO attractive now. :D

Seriously, though---I just watched John Ford's AIR MAIL, the precursor to Howard

Hawks' CEILING ZERO and ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS and it was the first

time I ever saw Ralph Bellamy looking sexy and handsome. I think you'd love

this movie, too bad it's out of circulation, I had to order a poor quality DVD-R copy

from an ancient AMC broadcast. But at least I got to see another side of Ralph---even

if it was blurry and murky. :P

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> As you know, I think Joseph Cotton's best screen. performance is in NIAGARA.

>

> Love Jean here -- so normal, so nice, so down to earth.

Joe drives me a little crazy in this movie; all my sympathies swing to Rose whenever

I see how mopey he is. He's like a better looking Chris Cross to Joan Bennett's "Kitty",

only Edward G. didn't irritate me as much.

But Jean is perfection. That's why I don't understand her marriage. :P

Niagara07.jpg?t=1225647598

Does anybody wonder about the purpose of the Jean & Ray couple being in the

story at all? Why couldn't they have made the movie all about Rose & Joe Cotten?

It would have been a better movie if the focus were more on the Loomis' but I think the

Cutlers could have still played a role. I guess the entire vibe of the film was to have a

setting that represents great love and happiness and have it turn out to be something

completely different. I do like that the Cutlers were having a second honeymoon.

Here's the cute little ducky in a very small moment that I like.

niagara5.jpg

It was a second honeymoon?? lol Wasn't one more than enough! Ha!

I never realized it was their second honeymoon and I must have seen this movie at least

twenty times. But I haven't watched it all the way through in years, I must have forgot.

Did you feel like a certain character disappeared too soon and that the movie kind of

lost steam afterward? I did. It's my biggest criticism of the movie.

Hola, Lord Love a Bronxie -- I've never seen Lord Love a Duck. The clip of

Casey yukking it up is terrifying.

My name is Bronxgirl and I have a terrible confession: I wouldn't mind being married

to Ray. Stable, steady, yuk yuk yuk. And I could get him to do anything for me. And

you thought Ralph Bellamy wasn't for me....

I'm even more terrified now. :P I will say that Ray at least looks to laugh unlike Ralphie

boy, who seems to be constantly lost in an unknowing fog.

As you know, I think Joseph Cotton's best screen. performance is in NIAGARA.

No, I didn't know this. He's pretty good. I liked his anguish and pain. My favorite Cotten

performance is Shadow of a Doubt, followed by Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte.

Love Jean here -- so normal, so nice, so down to earth.

It was a quite shock for me since I only knew of Jean from Pickup on South Street.

I couldn't believe it was her. She's darling. I'm gonna have to check her out in some

other films, like Captain from Castille.

Ciao, Lord Love a Blondle -- Isn't that healthy looking girl?

:D That's because she EATS!

What's your favorite scene in *Niagara*? Mine is this sequence, where she has them

plays the record that drives Joseph Cotton nutso.

That is also my favorite scene. It's Marilyn at her naughtiest on a few levels. I also

like...

RAINBOW CABINS SPOILER SUITE

the murder scene.

It was a second honeymoon?? lol Wasn't one more than enough! Ha!

:D

I never realized it was their second honeymoon and I must have seen this movie at

least twenty times. But I haven't watched it all the way through in years, I must have

forgot.

No, you are correct, it's a "delayed" honeymoon. How in the world is Ray gonna read

books and meet the higher-ups in three days on a real honeymoon? Yuk, yuk, yuck!

Did you feel like a certain character disappeared too soon and that the movie kind of

lost steam afterward? I did.

Yes, it's similar to Fallen Angel in that regard. But since Cotten and Peters weren't

an item and Cotten was painted as a sympathetic murderer, the film went over the Falls.

It's my biggest criticism of the movie.

I don't like the ending at all. I thought it was hokey. I hate to say it, but I kind of wished

"Polly" went over the Falls. My jaw would have dropped then and my heart would have been

ripped out.

niagara7.jpg

niagara8.jpg

niagara9.jpg

The murder scene was the most noirish scene in the movie. I thought it was a pretty

good example of that type of photography in a color film.

Very much so. That scene was shot and directed well. I wasn't expecting the outcome.

You would have wanted Polly to go over. And you say I'm hard on the guys.

But I wanted Polly to die because I loved her. It would have made a bigger impact on me

than the ending as it was. I guess what I'm saying is that Polly was the character that

I cared about. I felt for George and I was captivated by Rose but Polly is who I didn't

want to see hurt.

You didn't want to see her hurt but you wanted to see her go over the falls? Oh, brother!

Yes, little sis! Since George didn't want to hurt Polly, the ending lost all of its luster for me. If she would have went over the Falls with him, it would have been a very strong ending. Then the crossing of paths with the Loomis' would have been a tragic one instead of an "inconvenience." Yes, I do know audiences don't wish to see such an ending.

When I care about a character I don't want to see anything bad happen to them, at least

not fatally.

You're weird. :P:P

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> You didn't want to see her hurt but you wanted to see her go over the falls? Oh, brother!

>

> Yes, little sis! Since George didn't want to hurt Polly, the ending lost all of its luster for me. If she would have went over the Falls with him, it would have been a very strong ending. Then the crossing of paths with the Loomis' would have been a tragic one instead of an "inconvenience." Yes, I do know audiences don't wish to see such an ending.

>

I agree it would have been a stronger ending but I'd rather fix the beginning and middle

and then let the ending be climactic but not harrowing.

> When I care about a character I don't want to see anything bad happen to them, at least

> not fatally.

>

> You're weird. :P:P

In today's society? You better believe I am.

I agree it would have been a stronger ending but I'd rather fix the beginning and middle

and then let the ending be climactic but not harrowing.

This is true. So how would you fix it? How about George and Rose on the boat headed for the Falls?

In today's society? You better believe I am.

In any society.

> I agree it would have been a stronger ending but I'd rather fix the beginning and middle

> and then let the ending be climactic but not harrowing.

>

> This is true. So how would you fix it? How about George and Rose on the boat headed for the Falls?

>

Maybe! I'm not crazy about that stunt to begin with, though. I don't know, I'm not any good

at figuring out plot points.

Maybe! I'm not crazy about that stunt to begin with, though.

Me, either. But it could have been interesting if George and Rose were trapped together.

Would George have helped save Rose?

What I do find interesting is that he killed his love but I doubt he could have gone on

living without her, so his doom makes sense to me.

I don't know, I'm not any good at figuring out plot points.

;)

niagara10.jpg

> Maybe! I'm not crazy about that stunt to begin with, though.

>

> Me, either. But it could have been interesting if George and Rose were trapped together.

> Would George have helped save Rose?

>

> What I do find interesting is that he killed his love but I doubt he could have gone on

> living without her, so his doom makes sense to me.

>

Do you think he was crazy or in love? They say at the beginning of the movie that

he was three years in a psychiatric hospital for veterans, I think.

Yes, I put on my lipstick in the shower, it saves time. :P

MM is so beautiful in this movie. The camera eats her up so you can't look at anyone

else.

Yes, I put on my lipstick in the shower, it saves time.

Smart dame.

MM is so beautiful in this movie. The camera eats her up so you can't look at anyone

else.

She really is. And I love her laziness. She only gets moving for her young lover.

Do you think he was crazy or in love? They say at the beginning of the movie that

he was three years in a psychiatric hospital for veterans, I think.

I think SHE drove him crazy. Rose is definitely a femme fatale.

niagara16.jpg

niagara17.jpg

niagara18.jpg

niagara14.jpg

niagara15.jpg

Was he in the psych hospital before he met Rose, or after?

He met her before going off to Korea.

If it's after then he was probably already a risky case. He needed to get a job, focus on something else besides his wife.

If love were only that easy.

Poor thing, then the war really messed him up.

SHE messed him up.

If love were only that easy.

Love is---people are not.

Very true. But what I meant is that George can't just turn off his feelings for Rose. He

knows she's killing him. That's the real reason why he is "crazy."

"Periwinkle Putdown --- oooooooh YUK YUK YUK YUK". I know your estimation of my taste in men has gone way down, but I guess I AM exaggerating a wee bit just to show how much I'm drawn to the "normal" guys, as opposed to mopey Cotton. (but let's face it, I didn't feel sorry for Rose ONE BIT. She deserved what she got, so there!) I'd love to see AIR MAIL; Pappy and Ralph -- that works for me!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

When Rose is chased by a certain someone, does she try and get out of the place she's in? No, she climbs up the stairs. Of course, there wouldn't be any noir atmosphere if she just ran out like a normal person into the sunny Canadian air.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48