Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

MissGoddess

*Hellooo dahlink and muchos gracias for the lovely Joe and Marilyn pictures. They*

*made such a nice couple. I'm so happy TCM is showing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*

*tonight, too! George Winslow is so cute as Henry Spofford III.*

your wlecome dahlink! i love seeing pics of them kissing, its too adorable!

im looking forward to that tonight too! i love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes! its such a great movie with lots of color and giggles! Georgie Winslow is a cutie alright, you just wanna go up to him and give him a great big kiss on his cheek!

which MM film was your favorite again? was it this one?

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> *Hellooo dahlink and muchos gracias for the lovely Joe and Marilyn pictures. They*

> *made such a nice couple. I'm so happy TCM is showing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*

> *tonight, too! George Winslow is so cute as Henry Spofford III.*

>

> your wlecome dahlink! i love seeing pics of them kissing, its too adorable!

>

This one's cute, too:

JoeMarilyndiningout.jpg

> im looking forward to that tonight too! i love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes! its such a great movie with lots of color and giggles! Georgie Winslow is a cutie alright, you just wanna go up to him and give him a great big kiss on his cheek!

>

If you did I bet he'd respond with:

GPB-Spofford01.jpg?t=1228415191

> which MM film was your favorite again? was it this one?

It's my second favorite, after The Misfits. *Lorelei* is my favorite of her comic characters, along

with Elsie in Prince and the Showgirl.

Gentlemen_Prefer_Blondes_publici-1.jpg

Hellooo dahlink and muchos gracias for the lovely Joe and Marilyn pictures. They

made such a nice couple. I'm so happy TCM is showing Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

tonight, too! George Winslow is so cute as Henry Spofford III.

It's actually spelled "muchas gracias" - but I'm equally glad about them showing *Gentlemen Prefer Blondes* B-)

oh i like that pic of them at the table! how happy they look!

heehee! youre probably right about the boy saying that to me, but that's thewhole reason why i'd come up to him and kiss him! i do that to my little brother sometimes.

*It's my second favorite, after The Misfits. Lorelei is my favorite of her comic characters, along*

*with Elsie in Prince and the Showgirl.*

oh yes! i reemmber now, your favorite is the Misfits....ah mister rhett, you are gorgeous in any movie! i thought she was really funny in Prince and the Showgirl. thats is SUCH a CUTE romance! the romantic parts are so good! heehee! what is your favortie scene in that movie?

It's my second favorite, after The Misfits. Lorelei is my favorite of her comic characters, along

with Elsie in Prince and the Showgirl.

It's also one of my top favourites. Haven't seen *The Misfits* in a long time but hope to watch it again soon. Oh, and great photos!!!! B-)

i love the part of Prince and the Showgirl when she sits on that couch and he gives her that drink and she didnt ask for it, but took it anyway and then he starts flirting with her telling her how wonderful the parts on her face are andf then he says, "your chin." she replies, "oh you skipped my nose, b/c you found the bump on the end." i love that part of the movie! it makes me laugh everytime!

i found Larry Olivier interesting in this movie, b/c for me, it wasnt his usual character that i love to see, and it was so different for me to see him with that eye piece and the hair and the voice, it was all so.....different! heehee! but i loved him anyway in it, b/c i just love larry!

*WOW!! ...I'm so excited to finally see a different Marilyn Monroe on TCM, besides the usual "_The Misfits_" & "_Some Like It Hot_"!!!*

*Thursday, December 04th, 2008 @ 05:00pm (MT) Arizona Time!*

*_Gentlemen Prefer Blondes_ (1953)*

*Two singers work their way to Paris, enjoying the company of eligible men they meet along the way.*

*Stars: Jane Russell, Marilyn Monroe, Charles Coburn, Elliott Reid, Tommy Noonan, Taylor Holmes, and Norma Varden.*

*Directed by: Howard Hawks.*

*Dorothy Shaw:*

You know I think you're the only girl in the world who can stand on a stage with a spotlight in her eye and still see a diamond inside a man's pocket.

Gentlemenblondes.jpg

blondes1.jpg

1503348796_e3a0d38202.jpg

*_Gentlemen Prefer Blondes_, by Anita Loos, Popular Library, 1925.*

*Trivia for: _Gentlemen Prefer Blondes_ (1953)*

*Originally bought by Fox as a vehicle for Betty Grable. After the success of Niagara (1953) (which featured Marilyn Monroe), however, the studio believed they had a more potent and far less expensive sex symbol than Grable (who was earning around $150,000 per picture vs. Monroe's $18,000).*

*Monroe wears a gold lame evening dress previously worn by Ginger Rogers in _Dreamboat_ (1952).*

*The "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number was later re-shot in Cinemascope, to be used as part of a Cinemascope demonstration held on the Fox lot in March of 1953. Producer Darryl F. Zanuck told "Daily Variety" that it only took 3-1/2 hours to shoot the number in Cinemascope versus four days for the original film version. The film-going public finally saw the CinemaScope version ten years later when it closed Fox's documentary tribute to MM, "Marilyn".*

Thanks,

Movie database!

> oh i like that pic of them at the table! how happy they look!

>

Yes, those were better days. Here's one taken after they were divorced but they do

say Marilyn and Joe were planning to remarry:

JoeMMatbeachFlorida.jpg

>

> oh yes! i reemmber now, your favorite is the Misfits....ah mister rhett, you are gorgeous in any movie! i thought she was really funny in Prince and the Showgirl. thats is SUCH a CUTE romance! the romantic parts are so good! heehee! what is your favortie scene in that movie?

I have so many favorite parts...one is where Marilyn tells him "you made a pass at me and

I turned you down. That's all. We can still be friendly!" The look on her face is so adorable.

Just the way she is so oblivious to his consternation while he's slowly finding himself falling

for her in spite of himself is too cute. I also like the part where he's on the phone ignoring

her while she's serving herself from the food and talking to herself. It's hilarious. She was

such a great comedienne.

PrinceandtheShowgirl-OlivierMM.jpg

> i love the part of Prince and the Showgirl when she sits on that couch and he gives her that drink and she didnt ask for it, but took it anyway and then he starts flirting with her telling her how wonderful the parts on her face are andf then he says, "your chin." she replies, "oh you skipped my nose, b/c you found the bump on the end." i love that part of the movie! it makes me laugh everytime!

>

> i found Larry Olivier interesting in this movie, b/c for me, it wasnt his usual character that i love to see, and it was so different for me to see him with that eye piece and the hair and the voice, it was all so.....different! heehee! but i loved him anyway in it, b/c i just love larry!

I love that Olivier was so willing to play the straight man to Marilyn---he had to know that

she was going to be the main focus of the movie, but I guess since he was doing both roles

(star and director) he had enough on his hands. He's very funny as the Regent and that young

man who plays his son was terrific! I just think it's adorable the way Elsie turned that whole

household upside down.

Another funny scene is with the Regent's mother-in-law (Sybil Thorndike) when she thinks

Marilyn speaks and understands French.

"One can never wear enough mascara my dear." lol!

Oliver-pressconference.jpg

Yes, those were better days. Here's one taken after they were divorced but they do

say Marilyn and Joe were planning to remarry:

I'd say they looked pretty happy! Happy papy! B-)

I have so many favorite parts...one is where Marilyn tells him "you made a pass at me and

I turned you down. That's all. We can still be friendly!" The look on her face is so adorable.

Just the way she is so oblivious to his consternation while he's slowly finding himself falling

for her in spite of himself is too cute. I also like the part where he's on the phone ignoring

her while she's serving herself from the food and talking to herself. It's hilarious. She was

such a great comedienne.

Now I really have to watch that again. ;)

I love that Olivier was so willing to play the straight man to Marilyn---he had to know that

she was going to be the main focus of the movie, but I guess since he was doing both roles

(star and director) he had enough on his hands. He's very funny as the Regent and that young

man who plays his son was terrific! I just think it's adorable the way Elsie turned that whole

household upside down.

He must have been very generous and gentlemanly! :x

*I love that Olivier was so willing to play the straight man to Marilyn---he had to know that*

*she was going to be the main focus of the movie, but I guess since he was doing both roles*

*(star and director) he had enough on his hands. He's very funny as the Regent and that young*

*man who plays his son was terrific! I just think it's adorable the way Elsie turned that whole*

*household upside down.*

i wasnt at all surprised that he agreed to do a movie like this with Marylin, i just thought it was a bit interesting, b/c when i was littler, i was so used to him being my Mr. Darcy! heehee! i thought his son in the movie was too cute for words trying to be all proper around Elsie all the time.. heehee! he just made me smile everytimehe came on screen. Elsie had this way of talking to everyone she met, that just got to all of them, and she did it all without trying.

loverly pictures dahlink!

18794367.jpg

i wasnt at all surprised that he agreed to do a movie like this with Marylin, i just thought it was a bit interesting, b/c when i was littler, i was so used to him being my Mr. Darcy!

It was a bit weird to see him younger and starring opposite MM, when I first watched it, because I believe back then I'd only seen Olivier in *A Little Romance* and *Clash of the Titans*.

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}i thought his son in the movie was too cute for words trying to be all proper around Elsie all the time.. heehee! he just made me smile everytimehe came on screen. Elsie had this way of talking to everyone she met, that just got to all of them, and she did it all without trying.

>

He was a proper little gentleman. I'd love to have a boy like that, except I'd hope he wasn't

planning to overthrow my "government"! :D

Thank you for that picture, I hadn't seen that one. I wanted to add that I think the

*Prince and the Showgirl* is Marilyn at her most beautiful. I like the more natural

coloring of her hair and the way Jack Cardiff lit her is so incandescent. All those warm

ambers and soft creamy colors just set her beauty off brilliantly.

cardiff23.jpg

*He was a proper little gentleman. I'd love to have a boy like that, except I'd hope he wasn't*

*planning to overthrow my "government"!*

heehee! likewise! it was so cute how he wanted to overthrow the government with his little know it all proper ways. i loved that! i dont think i'd want him actually doing it though.

*Thank you for that picture, I hadn't seen that one. I wanted to add that I think the*

*Prince and the Showgirl is Marilyn at her most beautiful. I like the more natural*

*coloring of her hair and the way Jack Cardiff lit her is so incandescent. All those warm*

*ambers and soft creamy colors just set her beauty off brilliantly.*

your welcome! i liked it a lot when i found it too! i must say i thoroughly agree with you about MM's look in this movie. i think i like her best in this movie too, without the EXTREMELY bright red lipstick and the blind a person platinum blonde hair. i liked the creamy blending of colors they did with her clothes, her hair, and her make-up. it makes a lot of difference. its almost like a whole different Marilyn!

i loved this dress!!

bfolivier200.jpg

oh dahlink! did you see my favorite westerns in the western thread?

did you see the cover of the new TCM catalogue in the now playing guide?? greer is on the cover!!!!i was so excited! finally they are beginning to notice my greer. heehee! sorry to change the sugject ill never do it again, i just wanted to let someone know. heehee! ;)

> oh dahlink! did you see my favorite westerns in the western thread?

>

Nope! But I'll mosey over there now.

> did you see the cover of the new TCM catalogue in the now playing guide?? greer is on the cover!!!!i was so excited! finally they are beginning to notice my greer. heehee! sorry to change the sugject ill never do it again, i just wanted to let someone know. heehee! ;)

I'll have to look again---I didn't notice that! What wonderful taste they showed. :) I'm sure

*FrankGrimes* is upset they didn't choose Sue Lyon. :P

>

> your welcome! i liked it a lot when i found it too! i must say i thoroughly agree with you about MM's look in this movie. i think i like her best in this movie too, without the EXTREMELY bright red lipstick and the blind a person platinum blonde hair. i liked the creamy blending of colors they did with her clothes, her hair, and her make-up. it makes a lot of difference. its almost like a whole different Marilyn!

>

> i loved this dress!!

> bfolivier200.jpg

I love that dress, too! One could wear that today it's so lovely! You would look great in it.

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings