Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> Did U Know..... ??!! - The Egyptian (1954)

>

> Marilyn Monroe lobbied hard to play "Nefer," but Darryl F. Zanuck had earmarked the role for his then-mistress, Bella Darvi.

I didn't know that. Very interesting!

Everyone enjoy Niagara!

niagara-colorized_october_2004.jpg

Niagara-Fallssmall.jpg

hey dahlink!

i was watching Niagara earlier, but my parents changed the channel. heehee!

i just love her in this role though! its so different than her other light aired movies with all the funny stuff smoothly running along. its a perfect film noir for MM and she does so well aquitting herself as a strong dramatic character, although not cast as one so often....when you first see the actors for htis movie you dont expect her and joey cotten to be married, but they pull it off for a short time until she is in want for her jealous husband to be dead. Jean Peters plays a great supporting role as the strong wife of the other couple involved in this story. i also love when marylin sings that song...what is it called again? oh yeah! "Kiss"! heehee!

Marilyn in "Niagara," was wonderful. Too bad that side of her character wasn't explored more in motion pictures. She definitely was deadly. Guess the powers-that-be (agents/producers, etc.) knew what they wanted for her.

Marilyn in "Niagara" had to compete with the power and majesty of the Mother Nature and the Falls...um...NO competition!

Lovin' Jean Peters too.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Marilyn in "Niagara," was wonderful. Too bad that side of her character wasn't explored more. She definitely was deadly. And to compete with the power and majesty of the Falls...um...NO competition!

>

> Lovin' Jean Peters too.

I thought she was so funny when she was knocking Jospeh Cotten's

"corny" taste in music, lol. She could be pretty contemptuous.

I thought the artificiality of her whole look and presence actually lends itself

to the role she's playing---the duplicitous role with her husband. All that sexiness

and beauty is what has blinded him and also what provoked his jealousy.

What do you mean when you say artificiality...you don't think she was just made up like women were back then, lipstick, foundation, eye shadow, tight tight tight dress, bottle blonde hair, a walk that made men weak, a voice that men made listen? What do you mean when you say "artificiality"??

I guess we just saw a glimpse of "what might have been" from this film and "Don't Bother to Knock." It must have been very very very frustrating for her to know that she could do more...that she'd like to try more different types of roles.

Poor girl. All that fame...and very little happiness.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> What do you mean when you say artificiality...you don't think she was just made up like women were back then, lipstick, foundation, eye shadow, tight tight tight dress, bottle blonde hair, a walk that made men weak, a voice that men made listen? What do you mean when you say "artificiality"??

>

Everything about the Marilyn sex-goddess persona was very artificial, and she piles

it on to a greater degree than most actresses, even then. It's like Howard Hawks observed, he

called her schtick complete phoniness and that it worked if you made the whole milieu

around her phony, as he did with Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. What makes Marilyn

different is that underneath all the varnish , sexy wiggling and mannerisms (she had so many)

was how her humanity managed to shine through to an astonishing degree. She could convey

vulnerability and a child-like innocence through the sexy filter. Marilyn herself acknowldedged

it was all an act and often referred to "her" (Marilyn Monroe, the star) in the third person.

Marlene Dietrich's style is another example.

I think it's in the nature of "style" to be intrinsically phony much of the time, especially

in the Hollywood glamour sense. It's not that I'm knocking it, just calling it as I see it.

And I should know, I'm as phony as the rest! :D

> I guess we just saw a glimpse of "what might have been" from this film and "Don't Bother to Knock." It must have been very very very frustrating for her to know that she could do more...that she'd like to try more different types of roles.

>

> Poor girl. All that fame...and very little happiness.

I'm not sure she was all that convinced that she could do more until the later years. She

often referred to her own "lack of talent" which is very sad. She had something that is

a gift from God, a magical ability to communicate directly to each person in the audience

via the camera. And that is not something you can learn or that rests on talent.

*_Right Cross_ (1950)* *- On TCM - Wednesday, January 14th , 2009 - Check Your Local Times!*

marilyn-monroe-54.jpg

*Marilyn's bit part in _Right Cross_ (1950) let her play opposite popular leading man Dick Powell, but the picture was a minor one.*

*_Right Cross_ (1950)*

*Stars:* June Allyson, Dick Powell, Ricardo Montalban, Lionel Barrymore, Mimi Aguglia, & Marilyn Monroe as: Dusky Ledoux (uncredited).

*Director:* John Sturges

*Cinematography by:* Norbert Brodine

*Music by:* David Raksin

*Costume Design by:* Helen Rose (costumes: women)

*Release date(s):* November 15, 1950

Rightcross1.jpg

*Highlights - _Right Cross_ (1950)*

*Marilyn Monroe has a single scene as the improbably named Dusky Ledoux, who exchanges some dialogue with Powell in a restaurant. The same year Monroe appeared in _The Asphalt Jungle_ (1950) and _All About Eve_ (1950).*

*_Right Cross_ (1950) was directed by John Sturges, who directed Montalban in the excellent noir _Mystery Street_ (1950) the same year.*

*The atmospheric musical score is by David Raksin - _Laura_ (1944)* & *_The Bad and the Beautiful_ (1952)*.

Hi all,

So I finally got around to watching Niagara last night, and WOW was it suspenseful! MM was excellent and I loved Jean Peters. Since I live near the area and travel up sometimes, I was thinking of doing a post on my blog as sort of a "then and now" thing. I was wondering, does anybody have the whole movie capped? And if not, may I use the various caps on this thread?

Thanks,

Sarah

• 1 month later...

*New, Rare Photo Of Screen Icon Marilyn Is Released*

Mar 12, 2009-CBS 2

*LOS ANGELES (CBS- A new, previously unseen photo of screen legend/icon/goddess/sex kitten/ Marilyn Monroe has emerged.*

The photo was found in the "Lost Collection" of clothing designer William Travilla's, an Oscar-winning costumer who dressed nearly 300 starts in his illustrious career.

The new photo shows Marilyn, circa 1952, with Travilla and an unidentified Black man. The photo, coming on the heels of Marilyn's controversial nude photos, was scandalous at the time...a white starlet being photographed with a black man!) The man was often cropped out The photo was found in the "Lost Collection" of clothing designer William Travilla's, an Oscar-winning costumer who dressed nearly 300 starts in his illustrious career.

The new photo shows Marilyn, circa 1952, with Travilla and an unidentified Black man. The photo, coming on the heels of Marilyn's controversial nude photos, was scandalous at the time...a white starlet being photographed with a black man!) The man was often cropped out.

Recognize any of the unidentified people in the photo? Send us an e-mail at: kcbstvnews@cbs.com

http://cbs2.com/entertainment/Marilyn.Marilyn.Monroe.2.956746.html

*Marilyn Monroe on TV - March 2009 - All Times Eastern - Check Local Times Schedule!*

*_FOX MOVIE CHANNEL_:*

Fri, Mar 20, 8:00 PM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Fri, Mar 20, 10:30 PM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Sat, Mar 21, 1:00 AM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Sun, Mar 22, 8:00 AM _Monkey Business_ (1952)

Thu, Mar 26, 10:30 AM _Monkey Business_ (1952)

Sat, Mar 28, 10:30 AM _As Young as You Feel_ (1951)

Sun, Mar 29, 11:00 AM _We're Not Married!_ (1952)

*_Turner Classic Movies_ :*

Sun, Mar 29, 8:00 PM _Niagara_ (1953)

*_American Movie Classics_:*

Thu, Mar 26, 3:00 AM _Don't Bother to Knock_ (1952)

200px-Don't_bother_to_knock.jpg

• 1 month later...

*Marilyn Monroe on TV - March 2009 - All Times Eastern - Check Local Times Schedule!*

*_FOX MOVIE CHANNEL_:*

Fri, Mar 20, 8:00 PM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Fri, Mar 20, 10:30 PM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Sat, Mar 21, 1:00 AM _The Seven Year Itch_ (1955)

Sun, Mar 22, 8:00 AM _Monkey Business_ (1952)

Thu, Mar 26, 10:30 AM _Monkey Business_ (1952)

Sat, Mar 28, 10:30 AM _As Young as You Feel_ (1951)

Sun, Mar 29, 11:00 AM _We're Not Married!_ (1952)

*_Turner Classic Movies_ :*

Sun, Mar 29, 8:00 PM _Niagara_ (1953)

*_American Movie Classics_:*

Thu, Mar 26, 3:00 AM Don't Bother to Knock (1952)

*MARILYN MONROE - MOVIE LEGEND CARDIFF DEAD AT 94*

MARILYN MONROE's favourite moviemaker JACK CARDIFF has died, aged 94.

The Oscar-winning cinematographer and director was best known for his work on movies such as The African Queen and Sons & Lovers.

He started his movie career as an actor in 1918 silent film My Son, My Son but made his breakthrough as a cinematographer 20 years later on Wings of The Morning - the first colour movie shot in Britain.

He won an Oscar for his work on Black Narcissus in 1947 and teamed up with Monroe a decade later for The Prince and the Showgirl.

Cardiff also directed the first film in Smell-O-Vision, Scent of Mystery in 1960 and cult movie Girl on A Motorcycle in 1968.

He was awarded the Order of the British Empire in 2000 and was presented with an Honorary Oscar in 2001.

28742502.jpg

22/04/2009

Contactmusic.com

• 1 month later...

Was Marilyn ever TCM's "Star of the Month"? I know it's hard, she was a Fox contractee for

the middle portion of her career, but if she's never been honored with S.O.M., I hope TCM will

keep trying to negotiate enough of her films from Fox as well as Columbia and other studios

to give her a month one day.

withreporters.jpg