Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

I guess whenever Joey Di didn't like something Marilyn wore...she'd take it off.

Message was edited by CineMaven because for those of you who guessed I was referencing "THE WOMEN" consider yourselves

mini-Mavens. :D

MissGoddess, I love seeing any photos of Marilyn, but the one with the champagne glass is a little spooky. Supposedly, she could turn "Marilyn" on and off, and it looks like "Marilyn" was turned off for a moment in this picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful picture. It has a very relaxed feeling to it. I wonder if she was travelling alone, or was there someone just out of frame? Did she always have handlers with her, or protection? I remember hearing stories about the "Zelda Zonk" days when she'd travel incognito, but I imagine that got to be impossibe after a while.

Hi Dougie,

I bet travelling was more relaxing back then, celebrity or no celebrity. You had

none of the hassles of today and though I'm sure she travelled with someone

it wasn't the nightmare she'd face today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case anyone's interested, there's a news item today on blu-ray.com about the ongoing restoration of How to Marry a Millionaire with an eye towards its eventual release on blu-ray. There is no release date or even an estimate of how long the restoration will take, but it's still an interesting read (imho):

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3297

*Woman Offers Eternity With Marilyn Monroe to Pay Off Mortgage*

By: Cindy Perman

CNBC

Wednesday, 19 Aug 2009

*What would you do to pay off your mortgage?*

One woman in Beverly Hills is selling her husband's crypt, which just so happens to be above Marilyn Monroe's, on eBay. The bidding started at $500,000 and is now at $4.5 million.

A standard crypt in this cemetery, the Pierce Brothers Westwood Village Memorial Park, currently goes for $250,000.

Of course, this one is special.

?Spend eternity directly above Marilyn Monroe,? the eBay [EBAY 21.32 0.19 (+0.9%) ] auction reads, touting it as a ?once in a lifetime?and into eternity?opportunity.?

Elsie Poncher is selling the crypt, in which her husband currently resides, so she can pay off her $1.6 million Beverly Hills mansion and leave it to her kids when she dies, without them having to worry about how to pay for it.

Poncher, who?s been in the mansion for 50 years and just refinanced, has ?somewhat recognized the fact that she?s going to run out of money in the next couple of years,? said Steve Miller, a real-estate broker and family friend who?s handling the sale of the crypt for the family.

Apparently, the husband, Richard Poncher, was a bit of an entrepreneur ? and a well-connected one at that. He knew movie stars and mobsters, ballplayers and kings. As Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio divorced, he bought two crypts from DiMaggio, not knowing at the time how valuable they would really become after Monroe?s untimely death.

Even at $500,000, it was one of the most valuable pieces of real estate in afterlife circles. In fact, you might recall that Playboy [PLA 2.6599 0.1599 (+6.4%) ] octogenarian Hugh Hefner bought the crypt next to Monroe?s in 1992. He got it for a bargain at $75,000.

Poncher recalled to the LA Times that, on his deathbed, her husband said: ?If I croak, if you don?t put me upside down over Marilyn, I?ll haunt you the rest of my life!?

Poncher, amazingly, abided by her husband?s wishes.

So, for 23 years, he?s gotten a good look at Monroe. (Well, as good a look as you can get through a marble-and-concrete tomb.) Now, the jig is up ? Poncher?s going to have his remains moved to the crypt next door. When she dies, she?ll be cremated and join him in there.

So, was she just tired of her husband looking at another woman?

Miller says, no, it?s just about the money and paying off the mortgage.

Poncher thinks if her husband ?was alive today, this is exactly what he would suggest she do,? Miller explained.

The crypt he?s being moved to, incidentally, is above Hefner, so it should still be a pretty good show!

It just goes to show you: You CAN make money in real estate today ? you just have to think ... outside the box.

And, for the lucky winning bidder, Miller says, it defies the old saying that ?You can?t take it with you? ? ?This is sort of, you CAN take it with you!? he quipped.

Plus, there?s the fact that the buyer, whoever it may be, will become instantly famous.

?Whoever buys this is going to automatically be somewhat famous,? Miller said. Instead of just reading articles about famous people like Monroe and Hefner, ?they?ll be the story!? he said.

Hey, if you can't be famous in life, why not in death?

Pony Treats:

OK, I'll go?I'll go?I'LL GO! The house that belonged to "Cameron" in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is still for sale in Highland Park, Ill., where director John Hughes grew up, for a cool $2.3 million.

Fishing for Foreclosures. In tony Palm Beach, Fla., they're trying an interesting approach to cleaning the pools of foreclosed homes: They're "hiring" algae-eating fish. Hmmm. Sounds fishy to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Miss Goddess,

I recently received three Marilyn films from a friend. They are *Bus Stop* , which I have seen, but It's been a long time, *There's No Business Like Show Business*, same as above, and *The Prince and the Showgirl*. I have never seen this one and the DVD is not in the widescreen format, which really bothers me, but that is the only way it was ever released as far as I can tell.

I think you had recommended TPATS to me a while back. I will take a look and get back to you in this thread.

Hi Mad Hat & Butterscotchie!

Oh, I'm ever so thrilled you've got some new Marilyn to look forward to. I don't

know but that MM was at her MOST beautiful in Prince and the Showgirl, as

well as delightfully funny. She really steals the show from veterans Olivier and

Sybil Thorndike. I think you will enjoy it.

Frankly, I think the only thing worth watching in TNBLSB is Marilyn, but that's

just my opinion. This musical is not really a favorite.

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> hey Larry!

Hi Theresa! :)

>

> how's your day going?

Much better than yesterday. The boards were so crazy last night! Things are working a lot better today. Hope your day is going well.

> you are going to LOVE The Prince and the Showgirl....it's one of my favorite MM films. it really is too cute and funny! April also loves this movie. she has goven me the most excellent review of it! she knows MM best! heehee!

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I'll look back through the thread and see what you all have said about it. After I watch it of course. :)

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Hi Mad Hat & Butterscotchie!

Hi there Miss G. :)

>

> Oh, I'm ever so thrilled you've got some new Marilyn to look forward to. I don't

> know but that MM was at her MOST beautiful in Prince and the Showgirl, as

> well as delightfully funny. She really steals the show from veterans Olivier and

> Sybil Thorndike. I think you will enjoy it.

That's what I've heard. (about her stealing the show) I'm glad I'll finally get a chance to see it.

>

> Frankly, I think the only thing worth watching in TNBLSB is Marilyn, but that's

> just my opinion. This musical is not really a favorite.

I didn't think TNBLSB was that great either, from what I remember. I usually like O'Conner and Merman too, in the right setting. I remember Marilyn's Heat Wave number. I did like Merman belting out the title song at the end.

hey dahlink!

how many cuppas have you had this afternoon?

*Frankly, I think the only thing worth watching in TNBLSB is Marilyn, but that's*

*just my opinion. This musical is not really a favorite.*

you know, i have mixed feelings on TNBLSB. i love musicals, but i have to agree with you here, that this one just wasnt as strong for me and one of the only things i really loved about it was that Marilyn was in it and singing and dancing and having a good time. one other strength about the film was Donald O'Connor, just b/c i really love him. he;s really silly and adorable for me. heehee!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> hey dahlink!

>

> how many cuppas have you had this afternoon?

>

bonjour, dahlink!

I've had about 3 or 4 cuppas. How about you? Guess what! I got a Frankie

ringtone for my mobile! I've been looking for one (a free one) for the longest...

it's "Come Fly With Me", isn't that cute? :D

>

> you know, i have mixed feelings on TNBLSB. i love musicals, but i have to agree with you here, that this one just wasnt as strong for me and one of the only things i really loved about it was that Marilyn was in it and singing and dancing and having a good time. one other strength about the film was Donald O'Connor, just b/c i really love him. he;s really silly and adorable for me. heehee!

He's a wildly talented guy, I agree. My favorite song is "Lazy", I wonder why. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTXTNQdVQ5U

*I've had about 3 or 4 cuppas. How about you? Guess what! I got a Frankie*

*ringtone for my mobile! I've been looking for one (a free one) for the longest...*

*it's "Come Fly With Me", isn't that cute?*

hey! i caught up with yo finally! i just got my 4th cuppa. woohoo!

thats one of my favorite frankie songs! " come fly with me, come fly, let's fly away..."

now that will be in my head all day! thanks dahlink....heehee!

how did you get it free?

*He's a wildly talented guy, I agree. My favorite song is "Lazy", I wonder why.*

oh gee, i wonder why. heehee!

my favorite song is "A Man Chases a Girl (Until She Catches Him)" by Marilyn and Donald....i love the way Donald dances in that number. heehee! they are so cute around each other.

>

> hey! i caught up with yo finally! i just got my 4th cuppa. woohoo!

>

You're a trooper! :D

> thats one of my favorite frankie songs! " come fly with me, come fly, let's fly away..."

>

> now that will be in my head all day! thanks dahlink....heehee!

>

> how did you get it free?

>

Oh, I did an internet search until I found one...most of them charge you

for them or make you buy a "subscription", which is ridiculous.

>

> my favorite song is "A Man Chases a Girl (Until She Catches Him)" by Marilyn and Donald....i love the way Donald dances in that number. heehee! they are so cute around each other.

I forgot about that one; yes, the songs are really great how can you go wrong with

Irving Berlin?

*You're a trooper!*

no you are! heehee!

*Oh, I did an internet search until I found one...most of them charge you*

*for them or make you buy a "subscription", which is ridiculous.*

i've tried looking for a celine dion one and a frankie one for the longest time, and i cant find one anywhere that doesnt charge you.

*I forgot about that one; yes, the songs are really great how can you go wrong with*

*Irving Berlin?*

you cant ever go wrong wuth Irving Berlin! he was a genius with music! he never made one yucky song. :D i really think MM did many of his songs justice too.