Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

Oh my goodness!!! :) :):) Now stop pretending you don't know what "box set" to which I have been referring! You DID buy it! Or did you buy all those movies separately??

I have Diamond Collection II. :P

When I first saw this movie as a kid I didn't like it at all. Now it's one of my favorites. It's

very silly but I like "Amanda" and the Tony Randall character a lot.

Well, you're silly, so it makes sense.

I love the songs in Let's Make Love,

Songs? It's a musical?! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

but especially "My Heart Belongs to Daddy", which is by Cole Porter. I dont' think anyone (including Mary Martin) could have sung this song better than Marilyn. It seems made for her.

You're the expert, so I listen.

I also used to sing it when I was studying voice. :)

Wolf whistle!

I think the lyrics are very "saucy":

I'd say. And the number I posted a cap from is exceptionally erotic.

letsmakelove2.jpg

letsmakelove3.jpg

In many ways "Amanda" is one of Marilyn's most overtly sexual characters. The reason she

gets away with it is because most of the eroticism is confined to the musical numbers she

does. Her character, when not performing, is the usual sweet, clueless blonde. She handles

both aspects really well, though apparently George Cukor, a man used to handling highly

strung actresses, was nearly driven into a sanitarium dealing with her. :P

Yes, it's a musical comedy but the numbers are definitely choreographed for the men

in the audience.

LetsMakeLove-MyHBelongs2D.jpg

In many ways "Amanda" is one of Marilyn's most overtly sexual characters. The reason she

gets away with it is because most of the eroticism is confined to the musical numbers she

does. Her character, when not performing, is the usual sweet, clueless blonde. She handles

both aspects really well,

What you described is exactly what I felt in the little I have seen of the film so far.

though apparently George Cukor, a man used to handling highly strung actresses, was nearly driven into a sanitarium dealing with her.

:D I didn't know that. I can imagine why.

Yes, it's a musical comedy but the numbers are definitely choreographed for the men

in the audience.

If this is what musicals are all about, I'm sorry I didn't watch them sooner. :)

letsmakelove4.jpg

If this is what musicals are all about, I'm sorry I didn't watch them sooner.

Ha! I don't think you'll find tooooo many musicals that fit in that category. ;) Marilyn

always performs for the _man_ in the audience. You see it in all her music numbers in

all her movies no matter what the song. I think it makes her performance style quite

unique. She's like Marlene Dietrich---not in style or content---but in that they are each

not really singers or musical performers, but they invented their own muscial schtick that worked

perfectly for their persona.

LetsMakeLove-publicityphoto.jpg

Ha! I don't think you'll find tooooo many musicals that fit in that category.

Non? I'm shocked! :P

Marilyn always performs for the man in the audience. You see it in all her music numbers in

all her movies no matter what the song. I think it makes her performance style quite

unique. She's like Marlene Dietrich---not in style or content---but in that they are each

not really singers or musical performers, but they invented their own muscial schtick that worked

perfectly for their persona.

Now I wonder why I'm drawn to Marlene and Marilyn's musical "schtick"?

Incidentally, there is a common denominator between the two which I just learned about.

According to Howard Hawks, he and Ben Hecht wrote the script for *Morocco* and Hawks

designed the set. He was a friend of Von Sternberg and he advised him how to introduce

Marlene in the movie. The whole tuxedo on the chair and a bare stage and singing to

the girl was Hawks' idea. That line, "You'd better go now. I'm beginning to like you." That's

so Hawksian so I believe he did write it.

Furthermore, when he agreed to do *Gentlemen Prefer Blondes*, he convinced Zanuck Marilyn

could sing because he didn't believe she could. He also conceived of GPB being completely over-

the-top, to the point of vulgarity, because he thought that was the only way to put over Marilyn's

character (also he figured she needed someone like Jane Russell, his discovery, to bolster her).

Just like with Marlene in Morocco, he does a switch---instead of following around two sailor

buddies on leave looking for "dames", the movie is about following two dames around who are

looking for men. ;)

gentlemen_prefer_blondes-colorized_.jpg

morocco33.jpg

morocco34.jpg

Somebody is in a serious Howard Hawks mood.

Incidentally, there is a common denominator between the two which I just learned about.

According to Howard Hawks, he and Ben Hecht wrote the script for Morocco and Hawks

designed the set. He was a friend of Von Sternberg and he advised him how to introduce

Marlene in the movie. The whole tuxedo on the chair and a bare stage and singing to

the girl was Hawks' idea. That line, "You'd better go now. I'm beginning to like you." That's

so Hawksian so I believe he did write it.

Wow! I didn't know any of this. I love Morocco. It's one of my favorite love stories.

Furthermore, when he agreed to do Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, he convinced Zanuck Marilyn

could sing because he didn't believe she could. He also conceived of GPB being completely over-

the-top, to the point of vulgarity, because he thought that was the only way to put over Marilyn's

character (also he figured she needed someone like Jane Russell, his discovery, to bolster her).

Just like with Marlene in Morocco, he does a switch---instead of following around two sailor

buddies on leave looking for "dames", the movie is about following two dames around who are

looking for men.

Excellent stuff. You're on it tonight, Blondle. You have posted some gems on the board.

princeandtheshowgirl1.jpg

princeandtheshowgirl2.jpg

Somebody is in a serious Howard Hawks mood.

Yes, I just finished reading his interviews so it's all fresh in my mind.

Oh my word, Prince and the Showgirl! I love that movie! That's her best comedy performance.

Even though I like GPB for sentimental reasons, she is ten times funnier in Prince. She manages

single handedly (oh, well, with her whole body really) to discombobulate the whole Anglo/European

establishment ("The war of Elsie's remark..."). This is also the movie in which I think MM

looks her most beautiful. It could do with a face scrub, the photography was by Jack Cardiff and

deserves to be seen in pristine perfection. Here are some still photos with and by Cardiff (in my

opinion, the greatest color cinematographer there ever was) taken to publicize the film.

First, black-and-whites:

Jack Cardiff and Marilyn Monroe

cardiff01.jpg

Cardiff and Monroe

cardiff03.jpg

cardiff04.jpg

cardiff06.jpg

cardiff07.jpg

cardiff13.jpg

*Marilyn Monroe: Life as a Legend*

08-19-2008

*Feel your spirit rush like the wind over the subway grate as you view an exhibition that captures the spark and sensation that was Marilyn Monroe.*

*The exhibit begins October 9 and runs through November 9, 2008.*

*Life as a Legend was curated by Artoma, Hamburg, Germany and toured by International Arts & Artists, Washington, DC.*

*Please visit the following links for more information:

http://www.saginawartmuseum.org/_marilyn/index.php http://saginawartmuseum.org/_content/home.php*

*Unseen Marilyn Monroe footage up for sale*

September 01, 2008

The Australian, Australia

*RARE behind-the-scenes footage of screen legend Marilyn Monroe which ended up in rural Victoria is to go under the hammer.*

The two-and-a-half-minute amateur film of Monroe acting playfully on the set of the 1959 movie, _Some Like It Hot_, was taken by a US naval officer in San Diego.

The footage, featuring Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon, was taken by the officer when Monroe visited his base. Later that day he was invited by the film superstar to visit the nearby movie set at the Hotel Del Coronado.

The sailor's daughter migrated to Australia and brought the 8mm film with her.

The footage is to be auctioned in Melbourne later this month.

Charles Leski, of Leski Auctions, said the footage shows Monroe surrounded by sailors.

It then cuts to scenes on the movie shoot, which show Monroe rehearsing for an upcoming scene with Curtis, with crew members and extras watching her.

The sailor's daughter discovered the film, which is still in its original Kodak box, by chance among her late father's possessions.

"Marilyn Monroe memorabilia is always in demand, but rarely do we get one-off material like this," Mr Leskie said.

"It is also extremely rare for such important archival footage to be auctioned outside of the US before its domestic release, and for that we are extremely proud."

The film has a pre-sale estimate of $20,000 to $30,000 and the lot includes a CD copy and a DVD copy together with the original 8mm film.

The purchaser of the film also acquires full commercial rights worldwide.

Earlier this year, an amateur film shot of Monroe on the set of The Misfits sold in the US for $US60,000 ($A70,000).

I watched How to Marry a Millionaire the other night. It was not the best movie I've ever seen, but Marilyn was cute with her glasses and I cracked up everytime she bumped into something!

2im4ykj.jpg

I kind of died when I saw this dress on her!

294nchs.jpg

PS: Don't you wish restaurant bathrooms were still like this?

*Monroe's Past Uncovered With Lost Items*

2 September 2008

*An intimate collection of items that belonged to Hollywood legend Marilyn Monroe has been unearthed - more than 46 years after her tragic death.*

*The memorabilia - including personal notes, photographs, financial documents, furs, jewellery and perfume - were packed up in the immediate aftermath of the star's death from a barbiturates overdose in 1962.*

*The archives were recovered from her Los Angeles home by her former business manager Inez Melson - employed by late American baseball player Joe Dimaggio to "keep an eye" on the movie star during their marriage.*

*U.S. magazine Vanity Fair will tell the saga of the rare artifacts in its upcoming October 2008 edition, which features a photo of the iconic blonde bombshell on its cover.*

*Peek in mystique of Marilyn Monroe*

BY TRACY CONNOR

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, September 2nd 2008.

*A secret trove of Marilyn Monroe's personal effects has been unearthed, yielding a fascinating glimpse into her relationships, finances and troubled final years.*

A dance with Robert Kennedy, a tiff with Tony Curtis, her penchant for pills, possible proof of an abortion - it's all chronicled in reams of paper she stashed in two file cabinets.

After Monroe's death in 1962, the cache wound up with the family of her business manager, largely untouched until a photographer, Mark Anderson, began archiving it in 2005 and gave Vanity Fair a look.

Some of it's mundane - fan mail, telegrams from well-wishers and entertainment contracts.

"Dear Mr. von Fuehlsdorff: Thank you for your champagne," she wrote to the German Consulate. "It arrived, I drank it, and I was gayer."

Many artifacts are intensely personal, like sweet letters she wrote to husband Arthur Miller's children at camp, adopting the voice of the family dog.

"Guess what," she wrote to Bobby Miller in one reference to the Kennedy family.

"I had dinner with the Attorney General of the United States, Robert Kennedy, and I asked him what his department was going to do about Civil Rights....I sat next to him, and he isn't a bad dancer either."

The Marilyn that leaps from the pages is charming, clever and flirtatious.

Responding to a gibe from Tony Curtis after they made "Some Like It Hot," Monroe wrote to a friend: "There is only one way he could comment on my sexuality and I'm afraid he's never had the opportunity."

Other keepsakes hint at her turbulent personal life.

Two ledger entries from 1953 note $1,151.04 in payments to Marilyn's legal guardian for something "medical." They coincide with Monroe being hospitalized for a gynecological procedure; Vanity Fair suggests she may have had an abortion.

In 1961, when she was in a psychiatric hospital, a man who may have been gossip Walter Winchell wrote: "Turkey foot. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Lets go hiking and driving through the Redwoods incognito."

In between notes from the likes of Hedda Hopper and George Cukor, there were piles of receipts - one for a $75 ostrich boa and dozens from pharmacies that supplied her with pills. The papers show her managers were alarmed by her extravagant spending, and when she died, her bank account was overdrawn by $4,000.

When she and Miller were married, she financially supported the writer, the documents suggest. By contrast, Joe DiMaggio showered her with money.

A note Monroe never sent speaks to the bond between the bombshell and baseball hero.

"If I can only succeed in making you happy - I will have succeeded in the biggest and most difficult thing there is - that is to make one person completely happy," she wrote to Joltin' Joe.

"Your happiness means my happiness."

*_Marilyn Monroe TV Listings for September 2008_:*

*_Channel Date & Time Title_*

*CINEMAX Thu, Sep 4, 7:00 AM _River of No Return_*

*HBOSGe Sat, Sep 6, 7:45 AM _How to Marry a Millionaire_*

*AMC Fri, Sep 12, 3:45 AM _Let's Make Love_*

*HBOSGe Fri, Sep 12, 8:15 AM _How to Marry a Millionaire_*

*TCM Sat, Sep 13, 8:00 PM _The Misfits_*

*FMC Sun, Sep 14, 3:45 PM _Bus Stop_*

*FMC Tue, Sep 16, 12:00 PM _Scudda-Hoo! Scudda-Hay!_*

*_All Times are Eastern! Check Local Listing if U have the channel!_* :LO)

*I'm a huge fan...big!! I don't think there ever will be another Marilyn!*

*My All Fav (Best) MM Films:*

*A Ticket to Tomahawk* Blink, BUT U will Not Miss Her...

*The Fireball'* MM On Rollar Skates...

*The Asphalt Jungle* I Love When she says "Big banana-head!". LOL.

*All About Eve* "Well, I can't yell "Oh butler!" can I? Maybe somebody's name is Butler.". LOL!!

God she nailed the role of Miss Claudia Caswell head on.

*Love Nest* Not her best, but still needs to be seen!

*O. Henry's Full House* Interesting bit part!

*Monkey Business* MM & Cary Grant on Rollar Skates. Another film that just makes me laugh & always puts a smile on my face.

*Clash by Night* The film the really showed she had IT! MM really stands out!

*Don't Bother to Knock* MM goes dramatic, & steals the film from Richard Widmark! Another role that MM nailed head on!

*Niagara* I love this film. A 100% MM Cult film. Who Knew MM could do Film Noir so well! People always thought Bette, Joan etc. could play eeevvvill women... well MM could do it too!

*Gentlemen Prefer Blondes* No matter how many times I see this film I still laugh out loud!

Best Scene: When MM Gets stuck in the porthole! LOL!

Best Line: "Coupons. That's like money, isn't it?". LOL! Atta Girl!

*How to Marry a Millionaire* WOW! ...MM steals the film from Grable and Bacall. (I love the line: "Men aren't attentive to girls who wear glasses."!. LOL!)

*River of No Return* I'm sorry, most critics didn't like the film..I loved it. Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe what a combo!

*There's No Business Like Show Business* "Heat Wave" Number...Enough Said!

*The Seven Year Itch* ...Love when MM plays "Chopsticks" on the piano.

Best Line: Hey, did you ever try dunking a potato chip in champagne? It's real crazy!". - LOL!

I have used this line 2xs in my life.

*Bus Stop* The Best MM Performance. Why she never got an Oscar Nod is beyond me. Guess the Golden Globe was better than nothing?!. This film always breaks my heart.

*Some Like It Hot* Another film that gets better with age. MM was such a great comedian. She steals the film from Jack and Tony! Another film that should have earned her an Oscar for Best Actress.

*The Misfits* WOW! Another film that breaks my heart. The 3rd film that should have earned MM an Oscar Nod for Best Actress. What can I say about this film that hasn't been said. Next to "Niagra" this is another MM "Cult" film.

Something's Got To Give The footage I have seen from this, gorgeous! MM looked damn good!

I wish something had givin & this film had gotton made the way MM & Dean Martin wanted..

Marilyn_Monroe_happy.jpg

Thanks, CK, Frank, for all these bulletins and links to new stuff that keeps surfacing on Blondle.

It's amazing the degree of fascination she still holds over people.

I love seeing the film footage especially. That makes two instances of home movies this year.

I wonder if there are others. I wish The Misfits footage had shown more of the other actors,

especially Gable. I have never seen more than a few seconds of Clark outside of a movie, to

my knowledge no filmed interview survives. In a way, it's nice. Stars like Tracy, Gable and

Cooper are more attractive when they remain "mysterious".