Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, Norma Jean!

"It may sound peculiar to say so, because she is no longer with us, but we were very close.

Once when we were doing that picture together, I got a call on the set: my younger daughter had

had a fall. I ran home and the one person to call was Marilyn. She did an awful lot to boost things

up for movies when everything was at a low state; there'll never be anyone like her for looks, for

attitude, for all of it." - Betty Grable

HTMAMcolorized_august_2004.jpg

"She is a beautiful child. I don't think she's an actress at all, not in a traditional sense. What

she has - this presence, this luminosity, this flickering intelligence- could never surface on the

stage. It's so fragile and subtle, it can only be caught by the camera But anyone who thinks this

girl is simply another Harlow or harlot or whatever, is mad. I hope, I really pray, that she survives

long enough to free the strange lovely talent that's wandering through her like a jailed spirit."

Constance Collier

450090d.jpg

"My arrival in school, with painted lips and darkened brows, started everybody buzzing. Why I

was a siren, I hadn't the faintest idea. I didn't want to be kissed, and I didn't dream of being

seduced by a duke or a movie star. The truth was that with all my lipstick and mascara and

precocious curves, I was as unresponsive as a fossil. But I seemed to affect people quite

otherwise." MM to Ben Hecht on the student Norma Jean

NormaJeanhat.jpg

"I was never used to being happy, so that wasn't something I ever took for granted. You see, I

was brought up differently from the average American child because the average child is brought

up expecting to be happy." MM

babyNormaJeanBaker.jpg

"There were dozens of us on the set, bit players, with a gesture to make and a line or two to

recite. A few were young and had nice bosoms; but I knew they were different from me. They

didn't have my illusions. My illusions didn't have anything to do with being a fine actress. I knew

how third- rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes I was

wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn, to change, to improve. I didn't want anything

else. Not men, not money, not love, but the ability to act." - MM

ActorsStudioNY.jpg

"People ask me if I am going on making cheesecake pictures now that I'm a star. My answer is

that as long as there is a boy in Korea who wants a **** of me, I'll go on posing for them."

*MM to Hedda Hopper, 1952*

bathingsuit3.jpg

"It's like salt on a steak. All you need is a little bit of it." - *MM* on jealousy, 1952

MM and Yves Montand

davidson18.jpg

Simone Signoret (Mrs Yves Montand), MM and Yves

davidson15.jpg

Simone Signoret (Mrs Yves Montand), Yves and MM

davidson16.jpg

The Marilyn Files

At Frank Sinatra?s suggestion, Marilyn Monroe kept her life inside two filing cabinets?letters, invoices, financial records, and the mementos that meant the most to her. After her tragic death, in 1962, at the age of 36, the cabinets, together with an assortment of jewels, fur coats, and other personal belongings, were stashed away by the actress?s business manager, Inez Melson. This secret trove would remain virtually unknown to the world for more than four decades, until photographer Mark Anderson began an epic two-year project of documenting it. His photographs, made public for the first time, offer new insights into the life of Hollywood?s most iconic figure.

WEB EXCLUSIVE September 2, 2008

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/marilyn/marilyn

LifeasaLegendBertStern.jpg

"I used to get the feeling, and sometimes I still get it, that I was fooling somebody-I don't know

who or what-maybe myself. I have feelings some days when there are scenes with a lot of

responsiblity, and I'll wish, gee, if only I would have been a cleaning woman." *MM*

LetsMakeLove-candid.jpg

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I absolutely love your combination of quotes and photos, Miss G! It's ever so

> stylish. Magnifique!

Merci, Monsieur Grimes!

_CK_; "Electric lips." interesting picture!

Thanks for my jeans-and-pigtails Marilyn, Miss G! I've been trying to figure out what makes her so special -- she's very modern in a way that the sex symbols before her imo aren't, but I can't put my finger on why.

I'm sure Norman Mailer and all the social and cultural critics have analyzed this.

Hi Bronxie!

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for my jeans-and-pigtails Marilyn, Miss G! I've been trying to figure out what makes her so special -- she's very modern in a way that the sex symbols before her imo aren't, but I can't put my finger on why.

You mean when she's in pigtails and jeans or Marilyn in general?

> I'm sure Norman Mailer and all the social and cultural critics have analyzed this.

If they have it's ok, just ignore them. :P:P

Colorized-bruno_bernard.jpg

Marilyn in general, with the trajectory of her career and her personality; i.e. at the height of her sex symbol fame, enrolling at the Studio to become a serious actress, etc. Somehow the 50's seem the "start" of our modern era.

I'm sure Mailer's tome to her appeal is full of intellectual poo-poo.

Aww, that's a sweet photo!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}

> Marilyn in general, with the trajectory of her career and her personality; i.e. at the height of her sex symbol fame, enrolling at the Studio to become a serious actress, etc. Somehow the 50's seem the "start" of our modern era.

>

She certainly has had phenomenal staying power since her death, unlike the others before

and since. And so many starlets and models still try to approximate her "look". Anna Nicole,

a half dozen pop singers, etc.

BlackTurtleneck5.jpg