Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, cigarjoe said:

Cagney was on yesterday in These Wilder Years (1956)

Yeah but that's not nearly enough cigarjoe?   Especially when he did (65) pictures.  

(TRIVIA: Originally the 1956 Western TRIBUTE TO A BAD MAN was meant for *THE GREAT: TRACY, but he really started complaining, AGAIN & M-G-M actually fired him after 21 years.  So they brought in pal *CAGNEY for the well-made Western (***-out of 4 stars))

See, both he * SINATRA despised retakes & especially location shoots.

4 hours ago, sagebrush said:

...and Monday was also Ginger Rogers" birthday. It would be nice if maybe they could salute multiple stars when they share a birthday. For example, show films of both Rogers and Stanwyck, maybe one of Ginger's, then one of Barbara's, then another of Ginger's, etc.

AKA: *GINGER (Ms. RKO) ROGERS   She seemed=-_(as Robert Mitchum did later) to live at that superb DREAM FACTORY

Matter of fact for many yrs Mitchum called his boss at RKO Radio Howard Hughes-(l905-76) THE PHANTOM, because he rarely if ever saw the guy

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, Lawrence, you're fast! This thread got me so worked up, I was going through the database with a pen and a sheet of paper and compiling this same data. I'd gotten up to The St. Louis Kid and thought I'd check in. Glad I didn't continue on with every Cagney movie before learning you'd already provided us that information.

Now, all you people (or if you're actually the same person) who think Cagney is underrepresented, look at those numbers and then compare them to the times Tyrone Power's movies have aired on TCM.

Your being very disrespectful to the people who posted. It must've struck a nerve for others to feel the same.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Are all you people the same person? I mean, come on, now ...

I have been amazed by so many newbies suddenly coming on the boards and appearing on this thread - all with the same viewpoint about Cagney.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is not my intention to be disrespectful. I actually don't think I am being disrespectful to suggest three people in the single digits of total posts all popping up on the same thread to say the exact same thing might actually be the same person. It's happened before. Nothing personal intended. If you are really separate people and you're all brand new to these boards, you can't possibly know how incredibly rare such a thing is around here. And when it has happened before, all these supposedly different posters usually end up disappearing and never posting again. So, it actually very logically raises my suspicions. Sorry if that causes any of you to be upset.

I am actually not especially a Tyrone Power fan. My point, as I'm sure all veterans of these boards know, is most of the movies he made are not part of the TCM "library", since they were made at 20th Century Fox, and therefore do not get shown much or ever on TCM. Whereas many of the films Cagney made ARE part of the "library" and get shown on TCM a LOT. For a bunch of people to come on here all at once and very passionately say Cagney doesn't get enough airplay on TCM just struck me as really weird and blatantly false, and Lawrence and I have both tried to provide data showing this to be so.

Granted, these numbers are relative. 20 airings in 25 years is not a lot relatively, but it's a lot more than the zero airings of a lot of Power's films. I agree TCM tends to focus on certain movies from big stars again and again, I assume the ones the programmers think will be more popular with viewers or which attained more of a "classic" status over the years. Hence, Yankee Doodle Dandy gets shown a lot more than any of Cagney's early films.

Now, the "don't let TCM turn into AMC" concept is a very old chestnut around here. It's something I've seen dozens or maybe hundreds of people say over the years. There still doesn't seem to be any danger of that, as far as I can tell. 

While I have my complaints about TCM just like everybody, I suppose I tend to get defensive when newbies come on here and are passionately angry that TCM's playlists are unsatisfactory to them. I think the network all in all does an extraordinary job in providing us access to all kinds of movies that certainly aren't playing with any regularity anywhere else on television, and possibly I get overzealous in defending TCM sometimes.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, Lawrence, you're fast! This thread got me so worked up, I was going through the database with a pen and a sheet of paper and compiling this same data. I'd gotten up to The St. Louis Kid and thought I'd check in. Glad I didn't continue on with every Cagney movie before learning you'd already provided us that information.

Now, all you people (or if you're actually the same person) who think Cagney is underrepresented, look at those numbers and then compare them to the times Tyrone Power's movies have aired on TCM.

TCM has been around for 25 yrs do the math. I'm puzzled why you're even in this discussion. Troll maybe?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
14 minutes ago, LeeDonely said:

TCM has been around for 25 yrs do the math. I'm puzzled why you're even in this discussion. Troll maybe?

This seems computer-generated-ish. Calling a long time member a troll is insane. TCM: 24+ years. 4/14/2019 will be 25th anniversary. Your post is 3 times wrong.

3 hours ago, LeeDonely said:

Yes ... a troll who's been on these message boards for 10 years and made almost 1,800 posts. You found me out!

I don't understand your statement as all. Do the math? What math? I'm trying to show you the math that TCM shows a lot more Cagney films than Power films. You think they don't show enough or don't honor Cagney enough or Ben M. has some kind of Cagney hate. I don't agree with any of those assertions. That's all I'm trying to say.

5 hours ago, LeeDonely said:

Clearly Cagney isn't underrepresented based on an actual review of the films TCM shows that Cagney is in.   As you must know TCM focuses on Warner, MGM and RKO films and most Cagney films were made for WB.

Cagney has been STOM twice (1998 and 2008),  and has been honored multiple times in SUTS.

• Like 1

Hey sewhite....you are correct!  I am not the same person as Lee even though I share Lee’s sentiments.  Again, I am not espousing a conspiracy theory, but just would like to see more of Cagney’s older films.  I would also like to see more on character actors and silents.  That is my opinion which I am entitled to.  Sorry if you or others took offense; however, are you or the others Cagney fans?  Because if you aren’t, why did you go on a discussion board about James Cagney?  Just curious.

I read pretty much all the threads on here. They're all theoretically supposed to be movie-related, which is the primary interest of most of us.

And I'm definitely a Cagney fan. I don't know what I said anywhere that would keep making anyone think I'm not. I'm just trying to say there are plenty of actors who get less time on TCM than he does. 

6 hours ago, jimmymac71 said:

This seems computer-generated-ish. Calling a long time member a troll is insane. TCM: 24+ years. 4/14/2019 will be 25th anniversary. Your post is 3 times wrong.

I find it offensive to say we are ALL the same person, that is a troll speaking. Whether he has 1000+ posts, I say that and couldn't understand why he would say such a divisive statement. I can't have an opinion about TCM's scheduling? I've tried to contact TCM over the years, emailed, left messages and it doesn't seem to matter. So I decided to start a discussion. Most of Jim's movies were shown early on and have almost been non existent in recent years that's all I'm saying. I don't need to be attacked that's all. 

I very patiently and thoughtfully stated why it might be logical to assume you were the same person based on previous experiences in my many years on this board. I'm baffled at the idea that you find that to be an "attack". I'm not trying to make enemies. I have already said I didn't intend to offend anybody, and I'm sorry if I upset you or anyone else. You continue to be very aggressive and angry and combative about it, so I'm saying sorry a second time. I don't know what else I can do.

Wow.  What a wild ride the beginning of this thread was! 

I feel like TCM just aired a block of Cagney films? I can't remember when, but I recorded a bunch of films all at once like Jimmy the Gent, Taxi, West Point Story... 

Re: Mankiewicz being biased against Cagney.  1) I've never heard him convey any sort of bias against anyone or anything on TCM, even Robert Osborne would state when he disliked something.  Remember his conversation about the 1962 Mutiny on the Bounty with Alec Baldwin? 2) I doubt Mankiewicz has any influence over what is scheduled. 

I seem to remember Ginger Rogers being honored last year on her birthday, I recorded a bunch of her films all at once. 

Cagney is on TCM all the time.  He's a WB star.  The only films of his that I know people wish aired more is Angels With Dirty Faces and One, Two, Three

I doubt TCM openly exercises any bias toward any stars.  On what grounds would TCM, a channel devoted to classic film, have against one of the legends and symbols of the Golden Age of Hollywood? 

It's funny.  On these boards, we typically have people express unhappiness that TCM focuses too much on big stars like Cagney, Gable, Bogart, etc. Now we have the flip-side. 

15 hours ago, LeeDonely said:

Its obvious to us fans how he [Ben Mankiewicz] talks about him, very smug sometimes. I've heard about it from other fans as well. Cagney isn't his cup of tea. We all have are favs.

Wow! I dunno about that, Lee baby.

Nope, it's always seemed to me that whenever Ben is introducing a Cagney flick, he pretty much sounds like he ALWAYS does whenever he's introducing any OTHER actor's films.

Yep, with the very same use of inflection, the very same cadence, the very same attitude, AND with that very same nasally voice of his!

LOL

(...yeah yeah, I know, all you oldtimers around here...you're tired of this, aren't ya) ;)

LOL...some more

On July 18, 2018 at 11:25 PM, Cagfan said:

Let’s relive the past and educate the future movie fans...that is TCM’s mission.  I don’t want them to forget it.  I don’t want TCM to go the way of AMC...please!

Sometimes I think they program just to fill a time slot. No offense to Goldie Hawn, but I hardly consider anything she's done worthy of classification as a 'classic'.  Possible exception might be "Private Benjamin". 

Far as Cagney goes, he can do no wrong in my book. Yeah, he did some lemon-adey ones, but by and large, his films are classic by my standards simply because they contain the unique mannerisms and acting style that is Cagney. 

• Thanks 1